The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Expectations Of This Newcastle Player Too High

11:17 am, Friday, October 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 49 Comments

Gabby Obertan is one of those frustrating players – a  little like Shola Ameobi – who gives some great performances now and again for Newcastle, and you just know he’s a good player, but he’s not consistent – and it’s a challenge for Alan Pardew to get more consistent performances out of Obertan – who had a great game for Newcastle United last night against Bordeaux.

Gabby Obertan – after setting up first goal for Shola Ameobi

Gabby Obertan probably had his best display in a Newcastle shirt last night,  against his former club, and he looked an excellent winger, as he kept running at the Bordeaux defense, and they found it hard to contain the 23 year-old, who left Bordeaux for Manchester United in the summer of 2009.

And we expect Gabby to get some playing time against his other former club on Sunday, when Manchester United will make the trip to St. James’ Park, and in the same fixture last season of course – we ripped the Red Devils apart by a score of 3-0.

They couldn’t live with Newcastle on that fantastic night in early January.

This is what Alan Pardew said about Gabby today:

“I think people’s expectations of him are too high because they want to see him race past the full-back every time, and it’s impossible.” “If he did, the full-back would know what he was going to do, so he has to mix his game up.

“He has to get the balance right – I thought he did. He was excellent.”

Newcastle fans may have to be a little patient with this player, but when he puts on the display he did last night, it’s hard not to expect the same performance game in and game out.

But that may come in time, and we have to remember Obertan is still only 23, so he has still has plenty of time to improve the consistency of his game.

But he was great last night – no doubt about that.

Well done Gabby.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Competition · Gabriel Obertan · Newcastle News

49 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Being used as a bouncy castle by kids from Scotswood is too good for Ashley.

• 2 rainrix // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Jail… Please never stop what you are doing. :)

Also RIP jimmymagpie, you will be missed

• 3 ToonMauritius // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

check this mate, interesting analysis in french

• 4 dave 1961 // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It was not his running as hes doe that many games and looked poor, its the fact he put in loads of good balls, and seemed to know what he wanted to do. its fair to say your only as good as your last game, but he controls his own future. the crowd gave him a chance now its up to Obertan to take it.

• 5 Carryingcoals // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Jail for Ashley

Whilst I don’t share your absolute hatred for our owner, your posts do have me laughing on a morning 😀

• 6 Beattie25 // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Not staying to chat!

If it is true then RIP JimmyMagpie

Bye for now

• 7 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

R.I.P jimmymagpie. Always sad to lose a fellow supporter. Howay the lads

• 8 Spellcheck // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

R.I.P Jimmy Magpie,

• 9 AMEOBI // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

RIP jimmymagpie

• 10 nick_9 // Oct 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Yeah I must say I agree, expecting a 3m winger to be able to put a good cross in and not constantly give the ball away from trying to be Ronald’s/nani is far to much to ask. We don’t expect him to race down the byline every week, but if he has the speed to beat a man then it’s a big advantage for him. He is looking better in games lately an did well last night on the left with you shame overlapping. His main problems is thinking he is extra skilful and not looking up, when he looks for his team mates when he has the ball he usually does ok. I think the main reason we get annoyed with him and Simpson is when they put a rubbish cross in or lose possession from being clumsy. They did so last night but they’re only human, our free kicks to one side of the box are what the opposition has come to expect of us, ridiculous. Getting your defenders in the box to aim for one man on the side and putting all your hopes on that is just daft.

Last night both out strikers notched a goal, both our full backs created one and then so did our winger obertan, not bad. For me though young Shane has shown what we are capable of with a good ball in, he is now moving up the ranks with his assists and should be moving ahead of the likes of obertan as he is getting the results more so.

• 11 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

@ Nick

Not just Obertan, I think he is edging Gutierrez out aswell. I love Jonas just as much as the next guy but you can’t let your heart rule your head in football. Fergie has done more in a few games than Jonas will probably do in a season crossing wise

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

R.I.P jimmymagpie
    Had many great debates with you and you will be missed as a great contributor to the blog and the discussions
    Condolances to jimmys family x

• 13 nick_9 // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Exactly, we shouldn’t pick on names alone we should pick on performances. Jonas covers a lot of ground but does he do what a winger should?….. No. He has been moulded into a far to defensive player, that being said he does work a lot so he is still a valuable plate for us. I must say I am very surprised he is captain. I think ferguson on one side and Ben Arfa on the other would be lethal in the right game. I’m not sure man united is that game though, we need Jonas for his workload in this game. Maybe ferguson as a late sub if things aren’t going out way.

• 14 Johann // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Photo of yours truly! http://www.dv.is/frettir/2012/10/5/oskar-og-jon-asgeir-i-vinnu-hja-ashley/

• 15 mylestoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

R.I.P Jimmymagpie

I didn’t know you but, from what i’m reading, we’ve lost a goodun.

Take care our kid, HWTL.

• 16 nufc 11 // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think his far better on the left wing than the right something AP rarely does, has alot going for him but it really is last chance saloon for him hope he makes the step up, you sometimes scream at the telly run at the left back you have the beating of him all day that your strenght play to it I dnt agree with AP about mixing it up Bale does it all the time he keeps running at the RB and leaves him for dead and crosses or shoots they cant stop him even when they know what he is going to do obertan needs to adapt his ttyle become more and more direct, which turns defences, gets them on the bk foot and creates chances.

• 17 Lynxie // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Very shocked and saddened to learn via this page about Jimmymagpie. If this is indeed true, (not wholly convinced by written blog entries as you can understand) my condolences go out to his family, and we have lost a genuine supporter, and regular ‘jouster’ on here.
    RIP bonny lad, give Sir Bobby, Gary Speed and Terry Hibbit our best wishes.

• 18 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM

My question is what more does Fergie have to do for a run in the team ? . I mean he now has 3 assists in one start and two substitute appearances for gods sake. Is it any coinsidence that Cisse starts to score when he gets decent service. I think not

• 19 rainrix // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Fergie cant be far off, Most assists of the season so far has to count for something right? No? Well that sucks Pards out!

• 20 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Very sad news about Jimmy Magpie. He knew so much about the club’s history and traditions.
    RIP. We won his last night’s match 3-0. Let’s hope to celebrate his lifelong passion as a Toon man with another win on Sunday.
    Hope his family get some solace from all the tributes on here.

• 21 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The wit and wisdom of Ketsbaia 9
    Mystic Kets…

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    If Simpson, Williamson and Gosling are playing, we can right the game off straight away.

Right again Kets !!!!

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Just read the post from jimmymagpies family and I’m saddened to hear the news,condolences to his family and he will be missed on the blog.

• 23 martoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

RIP jimmymagpie – I’ll miss your player injury updates.
    Beattie – good to know you still read the blog!

• 24 MacToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Very saddened to hear about Jimmymagpie, one of the few posters on this blog who’s been worth listening too imho for a long while and always looked forward to him posting.

Very sad, RIP Jimmy.

• 25 Indian Magpie // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Truth be told I am close to tears

RIP Jimmy magpie

one of best bloggers on the site

• 26 tarie4 // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Rip jimmymagpie

• 27 AMEOBI // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Is this actually a wind up?

Who thinks that Mark Bridger should be tortured until he gives answers? I’d call back death row for this horrible human

• 28 Honoured2BNUFC // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM

That’s because Kets is an imbecile. I read this blog every day and this person does not come across as a fan just as someone who wants to get a rise from you guys. This blog would be so much better without this persons comments.
    This is a great blog and I apologise for my first comment being so negative.

• 29 Jonny // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

——————Krul——————–

Simpson–Colo—-Taylor—-Santon

——-Anita—-Tiote—-Cabaye——-

—————Ben Arfa—————–

———–Cisse———Ba————–

Bring on the possession stats.

• 30 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

rip jimmy magpie very sad news when a fellow magpie passes away

• 31 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

@ jonny

Thats exactly the team I would play m8. We need a link between midfield and upfront & with Ben Arfa in the hole it would be awesome

• 32 cyprus // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM

RIP Jimmy

• 33 check the toastie // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Sad news on JimmyMagpie – strange really, never knew the bloke obviously but still feel some sort of attachment, best wishes to his nearest and dearest.

• 34 rainrix // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Johnny: Decent looking side but i think that team is just far too narrow. Gonna be very limited on wing play. Although it would be relatively easy to pull ba cisse or HBA onto the wings

• 35 obatoyou // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

RIP Jimmy

If we beat Man U 3-0 again, we’ll go ahead of them on goal difference 😐

• 36 MacToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

If jimmymag’s nephew is still about…. consider sending Ed (owner of this blog) an article or some info about your uncle and I’m sure Ed would write an article about him and his love for all things NUFC. I for one would love to hear about him and his history with our club.

• 37 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

@ rainrix

I agree. But I posted that team a while back but with Debuchy in the team. With santon & Debuchy bombing forward Tiote & Anita can drop back and cover them. But to get the best out of that formation you need two attacking fullbacks and we currently have one

• 38 dave 1961 // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

maybe those that are always calling for patience we all don’t have an abundance of time as sadly proved by the passing of Jimmymagpie, although suffering poor health he always made time to pass on news he had been told, although not always 100% accurate he got so many calls spot on, if we all stopped posting things in case we got things wrong it would make the blog boring, sadly we will miss some very useful medical info.

• 39 cupiddstunt // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Just reading some of the write ups on the games last night when I came across this one and it just made me smile. :)

Slitherypoo v Udinese BBC write up, assessment and game analysis

Slitherypoo 71% possession, 37 shots 21 on target, and they lose the game, yes they lose the game 2-3

Jesus how do you have 71% possession and 37 shots at goal and still lose?

Looks like Brendan is turning slitherypoo into another Swansea.

• 40 Rotonda heights // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I knew Jimmy was ill, just not how seriously. I know we got in to it a few times but at least our last conversations were good ones. RIP

• 41 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I am very sad to hear about jimmymagpie, who seemed like a very genuine and knowledgeable lad. I second that although his inside knowledge was sometimes tackled, he never came across as anything but genuine and a true lifelong Mag.

For his nephew please accept my condolences in this sad tine, I know he will be missed by many of us, many more readers who don’t post too.

I second a request for a biography if possible he deserves an article for his background and history.

• 42 cyprus // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Also glad to see that top posters like Beattie and Indian still visit this place. Don’t know how you resist not saying your thing! Although I did not always agree with them, their passion always shone through. Welcome back? Life is too short for squabbling but there’s plenty of room for passion.

• 43 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Hi beattie you sneak

• 44 rainrix // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Cisse: That would work better. Or we could drop anita at RB as he seems to be attack minded and but jonas at CM. Would be interesting to try out.

• 45 Munster Mag // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I always like Jimmy’s comments tbh. RIP to a fellow Magpie, hope you soar high in heaven mate.

• 46 Munster Mag // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Cupid, interesting post re Swansea. I fear you will be wrong over time though. They will spend more momney and get it right. I gotta say, i find their manager ‘s voice ( even though I am Irish ) really bloody annoying.

• 47 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Everyone seen the festive period televised games list?

Mon Dec 3: Newcastle v Wigan (8pm)
    Mon Dec 10: Fulham v Newcastle (8pm)
    Sat Dec 15: Newcastle v Man City (12.45pm)
    Wed Jan 2: Newcastle v Everton (8pm)

Let’s hope for a better December than last :)

Beattie…Good to see you’re still about and haven’t completely exiled yourself from NUFC. Hope you’re keeping well.

Oba….Looks like we have a 0 goal difference, whereas Man U have +5, so we may need another 5-0 thrashing. That’ll do nicely :)

“It’s Phillipe Albeeeerrrrrt”

Dave…It has been acknowledged that some us have the benefit of more time than others (in theory at least). We all want some silverware, let’s hope the wait isn’t too long. I’m sure those fans who are no longer with us will have a big old knees up when we do, Sir Bobby leading the celebrations of course.

• 48 rwpoynter // Oct 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I am glad Obertan ,Willo , Shola and Fergie had good games last night. All of this will bode well in the months to come.
    I am also very sad to hear of the passing of Jimmymagpie. He was what a true Geordie fan is all about. Out there in all weathers from God knows how long ago. I enjoyed swapping stories from the 50’s and 60’s with him. I wouldn’t dare to think how much he has poured into NUFCs coffers over the years. He was very informed and gave very much needed intelligent comment to this blog. That is not to say I always agreed with him! But if any of his close family read this, I know, though I never met him, that he was a true gent and I will miss him very much.

• 49 obatoyou // Oct 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM

how do u watch football with an analytic eye
    the game is too long to see which player is good and whatnot
    i seen tiote and ben arfa give the ball away lots but they also good in passing and things

previous post: No Confidence Problems For This Newcastle Striker