No Confidence Problems For This Newcastle Striker

It was good to see Papiss Cisse get his second goal of the season for Newcastle last night, and the Senegal striker dispatched a Shane Ferguson cross into the net in one sweeping movement, and we have to think he likes Shane being on the field, because the Irishman has set up both his goals this season, with those great left wing crosses.

Shola congratulates Papiss Cisse after his goal last night

And we know confidence is always a big thing with footballers, but it seems that Papiss doesn’t worry too much about things when he’s not scoring.

He probably has that inner confidence that when he gets the chance,  he can put the ball into the back of the net, which he did superbly last night.

This is what Alan Pardew said about Papiss after the game last night – and particularly about his confidence:

“We all worry and especially the media worry more about his confidence than he does. It’s pretty sound, his confidence.” “It was a fantastic goal, by the way. The technique to swivel and score like that was of the top level.”

“What we have to be careful of is that we have got a return match in Bordeaux and they showed in that first 30 minutes that they are a very good side.” “The second leg will worry me, I have to say, because what I saw tonight was a very good side.”

“It just all fell for us. The goals were at good times and it worked for us.” “But Papiss was part of a great team performance, you have to say that.”

Both strikers scored for Newcastle last night and played well together, and Shola’s goal in the 16th minute was his 13th European goal for the club, and he was brilliantly set up by Man of the Match Gabby Obertan, who had a great game against his former club.

For the record, Papiss Cisse has appeared 23 times for Newcastle and so far has scored 15 goals.

Not too bad at all.

Comments welcome.

• Nufc-83

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This is how mine and catchy’s conversation went before the game yesterday:

catchy in norway // Oct 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    the onee player who should get no where near the team bus, is ,,,,
    wait for it,, obertan,,, omg why do you all insist on picking him?

Nufc-83 // Oct 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Catchy becasue you can tell Obertan has the ability and even if you cant see it he still beats his man and
    gets the ball into dangerous areas when he plays. He isnt the type of player who will pick people out in the box
    and so we need people in goalscoring positions in the box to capatilise on his service but lately we have had
    one player for him to pick out in the box who has been tighly marked and he just cant do that yet.
    He is like lennon used to be before he started to get
    his head up and find people in the box.

Nufc-83

you must be watching a different obertan,, because the one that plays for us,

carnt run fast with the ball
    carnt cross, 1 in 20 might get into the danger zone and thats on a good day,
    he holds onto the ball way to long
    his control is terible,,
    try watching him,,, but romain is a much better player, not as quick,, but can use the ball

Nufc-83 // Oct 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Catchy think you sholuld try watching obertan last game again and tell me he doesn’t put
    any balls into the danger zone.He put three low balls in and they were cleared at the front post
    yet that’s still the danger zone as if somebody had cut across the defender they would have had a great chance.
    i agree amaf looks more technically gifted and i would like to see more
    but if obertan can start plying with more confidence i can see him producing the goods.

• voodoo85

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yeh its great to see some good crossing from the left. I know Jonas has his qualities etc but he cant put a cross on a pools coupon never mind a team mates head/foot

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Nufc83…..I don’t know why you’re posting that. Not like Obertan played well and put in a low cross to create a goal.

• rainrix

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Nufc83… And bizarrely enough catchy is nowhere to be seen. Conspiracy i say!

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Repost
    I admit when we signed elliot i thought wtf? Who wouldnt? We had krul harps forster!
    Then he played a couple of pre seasons a couple of cup games and finally against notts forest and again i thought wtf!!
    But i think as players you know what the fans say about you and they can either sulk ans hide or think you know what i’ve got a point to prove
    Rob elliot has done that and proved alot of us wrong, he’s been outstanding, so has harps by the way and these 2 lads deserve nothing but praise for there performance’s for us this season both top pro’s both top lad’s! Well done lads!

Oh and they deserve more than well krul would if saved that etc…

And on another note not only is it great to see cisse bag his second this season but its also great to see wor shola bag a goal this lad is hoing to have a very important role for us this season and he seems to be full of confidence and at the top of his game! This is the shola that has made so many supporters stick by the lad rather than write the bloke off he is NUFC

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Was Obertan really that good against Man Utd? I remember him being alright but I wouldnt of said anything other than decent on that night. Did well last night I admit but was playing against a Ligue 1 team (different playing style to PL) and from 30 minutes in we seemed in control

Am not knocking him but equally am not saying he is pushing for starts ahead of the consistant PL player we have in the starting 11 currently…he has had good games before afterall then reverted back to, not to be harsh but, being pretty crap

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yo…What are you talking about? He’s clearly taking Bennys starting position in the PL. Do you know nothing of football?

I think people are saying they’ve seen steady improvement, not that the Manchester game was a great performance from him. Let’s see where he pushes on from here…hopefully forward.

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Wise words from @6, before anyone starts blowing his trumpet. In my opinion, he needs to do way more than he has up to now. Really hoping he does.

Still, that confidence thing is getting on my nerves!

• AMEOBI

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Every player was as good as eachother..

• steveno7

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM

@nufc-83
    As i said yday to cathy’s comments on obertan “you are talking shite”my comment was vindicated last night. as his pace is unreal and when he gets his head up he can cross .
    More of the same please oba.
    He obviously is another young mincer that hasnt a clue .

• Dannyo

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

@WWYCD
    That’s the problem with Obertan, as it is with Shola, setting the world alight one game, looks like he can’t wait for retirement in the next.

• cyprus

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Ameobi, that is deep dude 🙂

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Elliot is the Harps replacement in my eyes, never really going to get many starts but will be cover for a long time and happy about it

Ibiza
    Haha aye I bet Benny boy i scared stiff right now. Lots of talk about Jonas needing to be replaced though which is something I disagree with rotation in the odd game yeah but CM 3 of Jonas, Cabs and Tiote is very strong. As for Obertans steady improvement hmm seems to be up and down alot imo…hopefully he will kick on now (but I have said that before) we will see

cyprus
    Yeah am not buying the confidence excuse anymore either but I too hope he can kickstart his NUFC/PL career

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Cyprus….Yesterday he was supposedly blowing our trumpets, today it’s us blowing his. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

He is showing glimpses of what he could be about, I agree he needs to start showing this more consecutively (he will obviously have the occasional bad game – they all do – but overall needs more consistency). Could be a good player for us, there is something there. That was a great touch last night to control the ball, used his speed well and got the ball in to a dangerous area. That’s what he needs to keep doing.

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Dannyo
    Aye true though Sholas is because, imo, his body is close to shot Obertan is a fully fit young winger which makes me question his heart at times tbh

• martoon

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

A lot of people were surprised at the strength of the team that Pardew picked yesterday. However I’m sure a while ago he said he it was important to win the home games and he would choose a suitable team to do so.
    When yo thnk about it, it makes sense as there is no travelling involved which can be the most tiring part. I think we’ll still see more youngsters in the away games at the risk of getting beat because as long as we win our homes games it guarantees us 10 points which should easily be enough to qualify.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yo….Agreed on Elliot. Not taking Kruls spot, but will provide decent cover, as has Harper throughout his career.

I guess Benny will be sold come January, not he’s surplus to requirements 🙂 Poor lad.

We certainly have said it before with Obertan, so time will tell. I do however disagree about the confidence issue, I think it’s a huge factor, you can argue it shouldn’t be an issue for a professional footballer, but it’s not that simple. The lad seems to have talent, surely he’s worth persevering with for now. Must have been some confidence beater being all talked up, getting a move to Man United, getting injured, getting a few sub appearances, no doubt having fans on your back instead of giving him time. He’s still young and I think he can kick on. Come on squidy, don’t let me down.

• Munster Mag

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thrilled with last nights result and performance. It seems we were great in the first half according to Mickey Quinn and some newspapers i read in the shop but overall we did really well. Obertan? Pleased for him and would love to see him come good, but he’s had so many indifferent performances that I’m not going to jump for joy yet. He seems to be improving though but I’ve no doubt that Pardew has been very underwhelmed with him to date, despite his publin utterances. We all knew Cisse would find form as they guy is a pure natural. The best finisher I have seen at NUFC, along with Shearer and Cole.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Martoon…It would seem to be the plan and given our overall situation, a plan I would agree with.

After the group stage, is it 2 legged knock-outs all the way to the final? Been a long time since I paid much attention to the EL.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Munster…For heavens sake mate, stop being such a negger 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Martoon, I think we have to take this tournament very seriously. Other teams can develop their youth without a Europa League to fall back on, so we cant use it just for that. Newcastle fans and NUFC deserve to be respected in Europe and to do that, we must send out teams that can compete. I have great faith in Pardew though. Incidentally, the newspaper ( Daily Express! I didnt buy it !!!) I read said we played 4-4-2 . Is that true??

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Ibiza
    Aye Kruls number one until someone offers a good wedge for him then hes Citys number 2 ;). Well we wouldnt miss Benny now we have Ferguson and Obertan so might as well cash in eh?

On the confidence thing by now he should be full of it and just accept that not everything he does will come off but if everytime something doesnt come off for him he slips back then the club should look into other ways in which to deal with it imo. It just seems like a easy excuse for him hes a bit of a poor mans Walcott for me but Arsenal dont use the confidence excuse they just accept that his footballing brain isnt the best and they deal with it

• steveno7

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

@munster
    no we played 433 and it worked a treat dont u think

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yo….Time will tell, until then we shall have to agree to disagree or fight to the death. Your choice.

Sounds good, get Krul and Benny out the door, they’re stopping the development of other players now – Think i’ll stop this joke, either I’ll get accused of being crazy or of tempting fate.

We couldn’t of played 4-4-2 last night – it’s not possible to win in 4-4-2. End of story 😉

• rainrix

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Somethings seriously wrong guys, Merse & redknapp have predicted that we’ll win on sunday, Lawros gone for a draw. Hell hath frozen over 😐

• ToonMauritius

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

=============Harper==============
    Jonas=====Taylor===Collo=====Santon
    =========Cabaye===Tiote==========
    ==============Ben 10============
    Sholamoebi======Ba======Cisse

Hi Lads, above is the best team to play against Man UTD

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Ibiza
    Ah well could we really deprive the blog of ur humour or my levelheaded mood swings? I think its best we just agree to disagree 😉

Haha I am a little shocked we havent been labelled mackems yet tbh or just abused….seems to be the way of ths blog these days, differeing opinions are not allowed! 🙂

Seemed to me we played 433 but as Pards has said formation is merely a word

• Nufc-83

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

WWYCD – that is what a normal players mentality would be in that they accept everything may not come off and get on with the game however its clear with obertan that if he messes up it affects his performance. He needs to see a sports therapist imo as to alter his mind set. The problem becomes so much worse if the fans start getting on his back which i have seen thus resulting in more inconsistency and the problem snowballs.

• jimmymagpie

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I have come on this blog to let regular posters know that the man you know as Jimmy Magpie passed away peacefully at home on Wednesday evening. I and the rest of the family spent the last few hours with him, and he had the presence if mind to ask me to explain why their will be no more postings. My uncle, who was also my best friend, was a lovely, generous, man who will be greatly missed by his large, loving family, and his wide circle of friends. Legendary for his knowledge on the history and traditions of NUFC by all who knew him, he was well known at Benton behind the scenes by the medical staff in particular. A gifted non-league footballer when he was younger, he also socialised with a handful of the current players who live in the neighbourhood. I will close in the way he would ahve approved – HOWAY THE LADS!

• Nufc-83

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Also i was alittle shocked about the criticism Anita got yesterday reading the comments. For me you can clearly see the lad has got quality and technique and just needs to have time to adopt. I am pretty certain the lad will become a top top player for us in the future.

Oh and i have said it before and ill say it again when cabaye plays well newcastle play well its that simple.

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Nufc-83
    Couldnt agree more but surely the coaching staff would of dealt with that in house rather than putting his confidence issues into the public light without helping him through his issues

Tbh I am starting to think Obertan is just a ok player will have good days but will probably have more bad days. Hate that he gets booed but on match days a lot of people are like that same with the horrible chants which infest certain fixtures

• Nufc-83

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I have seen a number of posts such as jimmymagpies before when posters start taking stick for their claims of inside knowledge etc (not by me i must add)

If it is true then i am very sorry for your loss his posts will be missed as they triggered some excellent debates.

• Munster Mag

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Jimmy Magpie RIP – Howay the lad.

• WWYCD

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Very sorry to hear that jimmymagpie was a great contributer to this blog and seemed a very passionate man, condolences and my best wishes are with u and ur family

RIP

• Munster Mag

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Steve / anyone , how was the 4-3-3 constructed ?

• ppb

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

RIP jimmymagpie a source of much debate but a longtime too supporter. i didn’t always agree with him but he will be missed

• Dannyo

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

@jimmymagpie
    Is this true!?!?
    Dear me, deepest condolences.
    This is horrible news 🙁

• Munster Mag

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

This is awful news about Jimmy. I used to agree with a good bit of what he said at times and the abuse he and others get on here is poor form. I hope we win the FA Cup in heaven ….:)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Yo…Differing opinions? What’s one of those?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

RIP Jimmy. My thoughts are with his family and friends.