The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Obertan, Ferguson, Cabaye And Ameobi Newcastle’s Best Players

8:35 am, Friday, October 5th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 49 Comments

Gabby Obertan, the former Bordeaux winger, is currently leading our Man of the Match poll with 38% of the vote, and there’s still time to vote. Shane Ferguson lies in second place after an excellent display from the Irishman at left back last night.

Gabby Obertan leads our Man of the Match poll

Gabby Obertan, Shane Ferguson, Yohan Cabaye and Shola Ameobi are leading our Man of the Match poll for last night’s game against Bordeaux.

Here’s the results so far.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Bordeaux

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Gabriel Obertan · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Poll · Shane Ferguson · Shola Ameobi · Yohan Cabaye

49 responses so far ↓

• 1 Burni // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I voted oba like. The guy was class last night. Cabs was a close second for me followed by fergie and shola.

I have to say, I really rate fergie and I hope that he starts to get more games but LB is not the place for him imo. He pulled out of a few challenges last night but was class bombing forward. I’m glad pardew found a place for him but I hope he gets more games at LM in future.

• 2 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Think people are being a little bit too Kind to Oberton Last night. He didnt do enough to earn MOM in my opinion. Cabaye was back to his imperious best for me alongside his buddy the beast.
    Ferguson again had a good game but agree he is NOT a Left back.
    Elliott looking more confident in the side. Willo and Perchy didnt really put a foot wrong.
    Cisse, can score goals when he doesnt have to think about it. Shola ‘the playmaker’ ameobi, best performance in a toon strip for a long while.
    The beast done what he is good at, BIGI is definitely a multi million pound player of the future, the lad impresses me more everytime i see him, what a capture, Gosling, sell him to Villa. Anita….still stick to my initial assumption that he is no better than what we had and therefore there was no need to sign him!! He was ok last night.

So after all that…MOM CABAYE.
    Tackled hard, run the game from the middle, was in both boxes alot, always looking for the killer pass and shot on sight.

Welcome back to form ‘Dreamboat’

• 3 Cool Hand Luke // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I agree, he is too small for lb as he couldn’t muscle a forward off the ball. At times the full back is going to have to cover center back too. Going forward however its a different story, his size means defenders would have to he careful not to foul him, also that left foot is a peach. 3/3 assists speaks for itself.

• 4 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

PS Also welcome back Danny Simpson, by far the best right back at the club, and played excellent considerng the amount of training he has had since his injury!!
    Give him a new contract!

• 5 Burni // Oct 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Les, if he didn’t do enough to be motm, I would hate to be in ur team if U were the manager. The guy did everything right last night. I think ur maybe being a bit too harsh.

I do agree that cabs was class tho. Some of the passes he picked out were immense.

• 6 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Obertan never got in one tackle mate!
    In fact he bottled 2 or 3.

Maybe even more.
    No denying he had a decent game, but bombing forward setting up 1 goal, but litlle all else really???

Just my Opinion!
    Think there were three or four more players who worked harder all round!

• 7 Rotonda heights // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Really really enjoyed watching us last night for arguably the first time this season against a highly rated previously unbeaten team.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence we moved to a 433 with Obi and Cisse flanking Shola and got the ball down and passed and moved in a way we haven’t done for a long time.

We have to find a place for Fergie even if it’s at the expense of Guti. 3 assists in 3 games speaks volumes.

I think Anita will come good. He’s a first time dad who’s probably not getting much sleep at the moment. Gosling can go. He runs about but you need a it more than that.

It’s a shame to have to drop anyone after that display.

• 8 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Les obertan was class tracked back tackled brilliant goin forward fans like u make me sick they have it in for the lad n refuse to give any credit

• 9 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I see mixed opinions forming about Anita – it’s probably a bit early to make any decisions about him. He is still new, only played a few games, just had a baby so will be getting no sleep etc. not making excuses for the lad, just giving him time. He’s not really done anything wrong since be got here, (Torres penalty was a dive) and seems to be happy enough to sit back and help run the show.
    Seems alright to me so far, also, he’s only young aswell, got plenty time to get a lot better.

• 10 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Agree on gosling I doubt he will get a new deal, think Inman could step into goslings role next season, n weres abeid the kid is quality

• 11 TorqToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Still can’t believe people are knocking Obertan!!! Seems some people are so set in their ways they HOPE he fails…and so when he has a good game as he did last night…they search high and wide for negatives!! He’s my choice for MOM closely followed by ameobi and ferg.

As has been said…I’d hate to have Les as my gaffer!

• 12 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Gutted for Elliott last night yet another player who the fans judged to early shame on you all

• 13 LGFUAD21 // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Les Grossman

Yes, Some Simmo praise.

He looked a bit out of step near the beginning but it was nice to have someone that could contain their wingers at the back.

I dont think anyone stood out as amazing but Obertan had some lovely touches. His first touch is really good. And when he got that assist you could see his performance get better with confidence.

He still has some way to go to be a first teamer but I think he did well on the wing. Wouldve like to see him cut in more and with a more mobile striker I think he couldve been very productive.

Against lesser teams, perhaps him on LW with Fergie on the overlap could provide more attacking options down the left hand side. Fergie for the early balls.

Obertan does show hints at being able to play a quick short passing game.

This combined with his Man U performance show he is on the right track. It’s just a question of how far and fast he can travel it.

Fergie does need to bulk up if he wants to be a LB. But as a LW i think he could be very effective with Ba and Cisse making runs into the box.

We lost Big Andy and then got Cisse and Ba in, 2 strikers that would thrive on that sort of delivery. The sort of delivery into the box that we lost when Joey Barton left us.

I could see him partnering Santon well at the back. He has a good work rate.

He can be a game changer for us this season and I think Pardew knows how to use him. His early delivery will catch full backs out and place pressure on defenders. Either that’ll be successful or it’ll allow HBA to flank them when their backs are turned.

• 14 TorqToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Davy – I agree!! And those who knocked the Europa league must be back tracking now!! It’s showed that we have a VERY good crop of goalkeepers, games to give ferg and obertan some well needed minutes and well needed confidence! And nights like last night at SJP were electric!

• 15 LGFUAD21 // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

davybtoon

His reactions have come along so much in the short time he has been here. I think credit is due to our goalkeeping coaches. They seem to get the best out of our keepers.

• 16 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Torq agree that was half the team that played v Maritimo n shows are strength in depth, n at 15 n 5 a ticket toon fans should hang there head in shame that sjp wasn’t sold out last night

• 17 TorqToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM

That place should’ve been rammed mate! But there were patches of emptiness everywhere! Which was a real shame! But we who were there still made plenty of noise and atmosphere!

• 18 tarie4 // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Obertan never got in one tackle mate!
    In fact he bottled 2 or 3.

Wow, what game did U watch, oberton put in a well timed sliding tackle in the 2nd half, he disposed their winger twice, before passing the ball nicely.
    His passing and movement were top class. His control too.

As I said, what game did U watch. In the first half he one a 50\50 ball deep in Bordeaux half, near the corner flag and got a round of applause for that.
    Please dnt make things up. The lad did not put a foot wrong yday.

• 19 LGFUAD21 // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Conaldo (The Wizard)

Anita was so off pace last night. But He WILL come good. You can see him still trying to work out how best to partner with Cabaye and Tiote as he is the middle link.

His passing game at Ajax was too good to be a failure.

• 20 TorqToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Well said Tarie! :-)

• 21 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Lgf we have 3 very good keepers n a young keeper in jak Alnwick coming through n your praise has to go to Andy woodman the goalkeeping coach u can even see with harper they’ve worked on his game

• 22 Blaydon-Toon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM

What was the attendance last night ? Just to add the difference I noticed with Oba last night was he looked up before crossing the ball which helps find a man instead of just crossing it blind with hope ….

• 23 TorqToon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Attendance just shy of 31,000 mate. :-(

• 24 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The attendance was jus under 31,000 which was shocking IMO should b at least pushing 45,000 with tickets that cheap

• 25 Banjo // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

As much as Ferguson looked deadly going forward, his defence is very questionable. He was turned at least 3 times in the second half for the winger, who was no Ben Arfa, to get an easy cross into the box. Needs sorting out if he’s to challenge Santon

• 26 tarie4 // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Blaydon-Toon

That’s TRUE, he did have his head up all the tym last night, heard that Steve stone was working with him, over the summer, to get to the by line etc. U can see this season he wants to take players on, where last season he looked more to pass to Simpson, I believe in 2-3 years we will have a wealth of wingers and midfielders. Need more defenders and attackers though

• 27 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

We really do have talented youngsters in our squad fergie looks amazing, tavernier really is coming on a treat this season, biggie is a gem, sammi fantastic in reserve last week gonna b some player am telling, n we’ve still got good, streete n abeid to step up oh n there’s vukic who I’ve always rated highly

• 28 estechco // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I was at the game and while I thought Obertan had a good one and looked a lot more confident than he has of late, his end product could still do with improvement. So in that respect, I kind of agree with Grossman. He did track back though and looked more direct, but Fergie’s crosses and even passes up the line to Oba were a joy to behold.

Cabaye also looked great, especially early on, but Fergie just edged MOTM for me due to a performance beyond his years

• 29 fray bentos // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Anyone who properly watched Oba duing the Man U game will have saw that his game is built on more than whether he can cross or not, some real nice threaded balls into their box. If he get the confidence to take players on more in the premierhsip, we could have one hell of a player!!

Where is Catchy now?! i swear he only comes on here to lay into Oba

• 30 Tsunki // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Davyb – hardly shocking for what is a preliminary euro game with a large reserve showing. Hence cheap tickets. Still the envy of many a PL side week in week out ha ha.

Les G – uncharitable on Obertan a bit there mate, I think your ‘tackle rate’ reasoning was probably the least persuasive argument against. I agree he still has work to do but for lifting his game 9 out of 10. Also Anita needs playing time, he cant be suddenly mediocre.

• 31 davybtoon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM

When was the last time jonas played like obertan did last night not for long time n his place in the team has to questioned IMO what does he actually do apart from defend let’s no forget he’s a winger his prime job is to create not defend n he dosent do it only a matter of time b4 fergie or obertan take his place

• 32 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Well, what to say about last night. Starting with Willo, Simmo, Obertan and Shola…couldn’t possibly go well….but wait…..3-0?

I wont get carried away, it was after all one game. It was great to see some spark back in the team. Obertan for me showed he does have something in there, which is what I imagine Pardew sees in him during training, hence all of the games (So, perhaps not just favouritism). Overall one happy fan.

Should give the team some confidence ahead of Sunday.

Just want to say, think Pardew got the mix perfect last night.

• 33 rainrix // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

conaldo… i usually agree with everything you say including about anita, but howay man torres didn’t dive. He made a meal of it but anita did swipe his legs out :)

• 34 Blaydon-Toon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Good morning Ibiza …. So big game Sunday who will play ? Selection dilemma or back to 442 with Jonas and Demba HBA ??

• 35 Carryingcoals // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM

One of the best matches of late, really good night last night. So many positives as have already been said.

When your Obertans and Williamsons can put in solid displays like that last night – against a good side, in form – it shows we are progressing together as a squad. We are better off than last year and we will continue to get better. Have some faith and show credit where credit is due!

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Blaydon….Hello there. I am waiting until closer to kick-off and see who is fit. Selection for this game will be a right headache. We now have players actually putting pressure on for a starting position, which is great.

On formation, wasn’t it 4-4-2 against United last season? Wouldn’t surprise me to see it again on Sunday. Anyone know what time kick off is?

• 37 cyprus // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM

@31,
    that’s unfair on a player who does everything he’s asked to do (including being played out of position), can hold the ball like no one else (including HBA) and wins us the most fouls. Still, I think his hard work and babysitting of various players in the past has cost him in terms of going forward, scoring (rare!) great goals and generally frightening the opposition. Remember, he’s our vice captain for a reason. Having said all this, I think he and others must be occasionally benched as we are on the threshold of building a team that can be rotated according to needs. The sign of a very good team.

• 38 Krul to be Kind // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Wee fergie was mint last night and so was Oba, thought they worked incredibly well together down that left flank. I agree with previous posts about young fergies physique and the left back berth but I seen fergie overlap Oba when oba was at full pelt and fergie over run him at a canter so if obertan is fast fergie very much surprised me with his pace!

Must say now, I was so glad to see Obertan putting a good shift in, his touch was class he controlled a few diagonal long balls dead last night and a right few bloggers have been slating his every move but i hope the promise he showed keeps the wolves off his back for a while to allow him to kick on, im not saying he is going to be world class but if he continually develops then he could be a very dangerous weapon with his pace and trickery.

HTL, delighted with last nights measured control of the game and team work

ps. what about that nutter of a pitch invader… surely we are now going to impose UEFA sanctions after 2 pitch invasions in a row at home European games, the fine will come out of our measly transfer budget no doubt (I jest)

• 39 Carryingcoals // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

ibiza 4pm on sky i think

• 40 Carryingcoals // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM

krul to be kind

Did you see how long it took for stewards to get on the pitch?! The first two blokes had to shout over for back up because they couldn’t handle him!

It was embarrassing mind.

• 41 Blaydon-Toon // Oct 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ko Sunday 1600 … Good to have options and our two top cm back interesting to see what AP goes for I’m thinking fergie will have to settle for a place on the bench as pards will be a bit more defensive against the Mancs which is a shame for the lad as he prob be in line to start Sunday against most other side visiting ?

• 42 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Cheers Carrying. Should be able to catch it before meeting clients in the evening then.

• 43 Krul to be Kind // Oct 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Carryingcoals

Was the same with the streaker against Atromitos Pardew giving the head stwerd a rollicking then too, glad to see the fans booing him though this time, those stewards need to get their fingers outta thier a#ses quicker

Anyone know what happened in the Bordeaux end, I believe the there to be a fracas occured?

• 44 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I think Anita is a very compact, neat and tidy player who is probably just still getting used to the pace and physical nature of the English game. He’s also been asked to play all over the shop by Pards, which must be tough. I believe he would make up an excellent midfield 3 in a 433 alongside Tiote and Cabs with Jonas likely better suited to the swingman role that Anita has been covering up to now. He’s young, a Dutch international and we paid good money for him, I think we need to play him in a set role.

• 45 Premiership Manager // Oct 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I have given Fergie the vote as did Waddle. Obertan was very good but needs to occasionally be selfish and just run at the players especially when he’s near the box as some defenders will just bring him down. He’s got the ability and just need to have more confidence and self belief when playing in the PL.

He also needs to learn when to tackle and close players down as he has a tendancy to stand off and look like a spare part at times which we cannot afford.

Ferguson may have been turned a couple of times however he also made some very good tackles. He can go past people but more importantly can pick out critical ealry passes with pin point accuracy. Obertan is good going forward when not under pressure however IMO Ferguson has far more potential. He may be small and only look 10 yrs old but he has a very bright future infront of him if and it’s a big if, he gets first team football.

Another player who deserves a mention is Elliot. He looks to be a very capable PL keeper and if he gets more games under his belt he may start pushing Krull for a first team place. My only concern will be keeping both players at the club.

There have been a few mentions about Simpson but he rarely lets us down or does anything wrong. how many other right backs have contained players like Bale – not many. He gets on quietly, does a good job and deserves a new contract.

• 46 numba9 // Oct 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Play santon behind Fergie on left . Bench guti. Young boy has delivery and he will help San at back

• 47 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Davybtool
    I certainly do not have it in for Obertan, indeed i am one of his biggest fans.
    Read my post before you open that large inane hole under your nose, lad.
    I did state he had a decent game but not enough to deserve man of the match.
    Its people like YOU who make the majority sick on here with your lack of reading ability, and your understanding of peoples opinions.
    If you dont agree or dislioke what i post then please use the option to ignore it…wanka!

• 48 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Tarie
    Ok I stand corrected, maybe he did put in 3 challenges and bottled at least three, watch the match again.
    I am not knocking the lad FFS, I am merely saying that he did not deserve the MOM in MY OPINION.
    Wanka2

• 49 Les Grossman // Oct 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Davybtoon
    Your comment at 31 re Gutti??
    Disgraceful……(hypocritical Wanka)

Honestly the little arseholes on here that have a go because your opinion differs…..please just ignore if you dont like my opinion……but to say I pick on players? never have done never will do as long as they are pulling on the Stripes…..

LOOK OBERTAN HAD A GOOD GAME, BUT 1 GAME IT HAS BEEN. IF YOU MANAGED TO GET ROBBED OF 45 QUID LAST WEEK AND WENT TO OLD TRAFFORD, YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN MISTER OBERTAN AS THE LEAST EFFECTIVE PLAYER ON THE PITCH BY A COUNTRY MILE WHEN HE WAS BOTHERED!!!!!!!

I HOPE HE GETS BETTER, I DO, I LIKE THE LAD ON THE BALL.

previous post: Multiple Positives Out Of Bordeaux Game – Here’s 8 Of Them