Cisse – I Have Come From Nowhere To Be At Newcastle

Papiss Cisse has talked about his humble beginnings today in Senegal, and he still cannot believe that he came from nowhere – as he says, and is now wearing the number 9 shirt at Newcastle United, and he’s also recently found his goal-scoring touch with two goals in his last three appearances for the club.

Papiss Cisse after scoring on Thursday night

We’ll never forget the images when Papiss went for a hair-cut in Gateshead and the word got around the and the Newcastle striker was mobbed when he left the barber’s shop – and that kind of love from the Newcastle fans seems to have touched him, and it’s like living a  dream – being on Tyneside for Papiss.

This is some of what he said in the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“To be able to do all this is something absolutely incredible.” “It is the reason why I don’t have a big head, because I have come from nowhere and now I am here. I feel well loved by so many people and it is one of the great things about the job, to feel so well loved just for doing your job.”

“My home town is small place called Sedhiou in Senegal. It is more of a community than a town, to be honest.” “All of my family are still there and when I get the chance to go on holiday – or we are given time off – I will try to go there for as much of it as possible. That’s where my family and friends are and I do not want to forget it, even after all that has happened to me in Newcastle and in football.

“The area was not wealthy. My family weren’t necessarily a poor family, they did everything for me to have a good life and now I’m really happy because when I get my salary here, I can send it to them.” “I like to say thank you to the area that brought me up. It taught me a lot and I want to say thank you to my family because they are the reason why I do not get a big head.”

“For this reason I am in the middle of launching a couple of projects at the moment. I want to give something back.” “I am the only professional footballer from that community so I feel that I should help out. I am involved in a health information centre that is opening up and I am building a mosque there.”

“But my biggest hope is that I can help the hospital that is there. I have bought an ambulance for them because they need it, and they also don’t have an X-ray machine.”  “The hospital is lacking in materials and resources. For some emergencies, people need to go to a bigger city which is four or five hours away by road.”

“I was one of the people that took people from my home town to the city as an ambulance driver.”  “When I was 15, I did this for a couple of years. It is how I learned to drive, which was a very happy thing for me. But I also saw the other side of it: sometimes when we were driving to Dakar for treatment we would lose our patient on the way.”

“That is something that really touched me. Why should people die because of that? It made me determined to change things as soon as I was in a position to be able to do it.”  “Once you have seen that, you do not forget and I hope that I can help now that I am in a position to do that. I know that you can not do everything.”

Papiss has done some good things with the money he has earned from playing the game of football, and that’s great to see – but there’s really no doubt that Papiss is simply a great guy, and he seems to just love playing at Newcastle United.

It’s good to have players on Tyneside, who just  love playing for our club! 😀

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Toonboy_84

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Top lad is our Cisse.

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Well done Cisse.

• Oldgit1

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

What a great fellow, def not the norm of the current day footballer, parhaps we could all contribute someway to the xray machine he requires by the starting of a charity fund. This will make cisse realise how much he is wanted here and show our appreciation to him.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

@3:

What an absolutely brilliant idea! Would difficult to set up though But!

• Grafton83

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Imagine having to have an Ambulance called for you and Papiss Cisse turns up, amazing!

What a nice guy he really is, a great cause, so nice to see a pro with the right amount of perspective of whats important in this world. Best of luck to him.

• Grafton83

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Oldgit1 set up a justgiving page for him, I’d certainly put a few quid in.

• steveno7

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

What A humble bloke .true pro .
    Unlike some money grabbing pros who take things for granted.i.e joey barton

• jayphoto

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Get on the phone Mike Ashley! Offer papiss an x-ray machine as a bonus for when him and Demba bang in 40 goals between them 🙂 joking aside, seems a top human being! Seen interviews with Tiote and hes very much the same, its no wonder they are close! Im a time when footballers are baby Bentleys, on proud we have players like papiss at Newcastle

• jayphoto

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Just a note Jeff made on a previous thread About ba and papiss not getting on maybe? Ba is from Paris, he comes from a very similar area to HBA and played in the same school teams etc, they have alot in common and will have known each other since age 8 or 9! Ba is very much a parisienne, hes never lived in Senegal and plays for them by one of his parents nationality! There’s a good chance him and papiss have nothing in common whereas Tiote comes from a near identical background! Saying that, they seem to get on on a personal level on matchday, always see them joking around in the warm up etc

• dave 1961

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

contrast this story to Nile Ranger who just wants to kill & maim people.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Truly refreshing tale. Not like the players, a lot with average ability, who’ve been mollycoddled through academies from a young age and therefore feel like everything should be handed to them on a plate, resulting in an inflated sense of self-importance.

• brighter

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

GREAT ARTICLE!!!

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Imagine calling for an ambulance and having a 15 year old learning to drive turn up. No wonder they lost some on the way. Started out with a broken toe died of a heart attack.

• dannyodyssey

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Love to see Ba and Cisse kisses the grass after scoring goals. They knew their roots for sure.

• Jarra_Mag

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Alright lads?

I’ve messaged the club to see if there is any way we can contribute. You don’t hear stories like that very often in the modern game… I for one would be happy to chip 10 quid in if there was a link to just giving… worthy cause and make our number 9 feel more appreciated.

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Think Ashley should show some ambition and sign these players in January:

Falcao (used to be a big fan of Tino at NUFC) – £30m

Gosling – £3m
    Tavernier – £1m

Net Total = £48m

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

And Debuchy – £6m

So that’s – £54m total spend.

• Ketsbaia9

Jarra – I’d chip in mate, 🙂

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Dannyodysey – pun? 🙂

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I’ve got to stop with the smiley faces. I seem like a weirdo 🙂 dammit!

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Jarra – it might be worth contacting the journal aswell, they may be happy to help

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Wizard…Therefore you’re trying to portray someone who isn’t weird? 😉

Kets….I think one of those players would be showing “some” ambition. Buying them all would show Ashley has lost “all” his common sense.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Ibiza – I was talking to myself for a little bit there.
    I don’t think we’ll look at any attacking players this transfer window. Defense is more important imo

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Wizard….That’s definitely not weird, I do it all the time!

I don’t see any attacking players arriving (unless of course someone goes or a great deal surfaces). I expect lots of CM, we seem short there.

• WWYCD

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Falco for 30 mill? Haha the bloke is the best striker in the world

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

1 player’s not good enough to improve the squad. We are weak in certain areas. We all know where we’re weak. We need at least 4 new players in January to have a near complete squad.

I have lost patience in Gosling. He hasn’t had one good game for us and I’ve seen players like Abeid play much better.

Hopefully Pardew is treating Aeid like he did to Ben Arfa. If we get various injuries, Abeid will get his chance and will excel.

• fray bentos

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

How old are you ketts?

• WWYCD

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Kets is just a kid with a football sticker book and access to newcastlerumours.co.uk am sure of it

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Kets…..I’m not disagreeing with regards to the “complete squad” aspect. Who has said we will put together the complete squad this season? It’s in progress. By saying we need 4 in January, you’re just setting yourself up for unnecessary disappointment, therefore getting in the way of your enjoyment of the club. Seems mad.

As long as the club shows some ambition and desire to improve the squad in January, is that not enough?

• tequilamag

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Kets whats wrong with Messi? I am starting to doubt your ambition.

• tequilamag

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Although we do have Abeid so maybe we don`t need him.
    Carry on Kets your doing a sterling job.

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM

If we was doing well in the league (i.e. 5th place by January), we could attract a player like Falcao if Mike was willing to pay out the loot. He used to idolise Tino Asprilla (who used to play for us). He would’ve been impressed with us as a club, and I’m sure that he’d be interested in signing for us.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Kets…..Now, whilst Mike is an unpredictable character. I am fairly happy to say, without a shadow of doubt, that Falcao will not be joining us and Mike will not be paying £30m for a player. End of.

Right. Had my sanity and patience tested enough for today. Take care one and all 🙂

• WWYCD

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM

If that’s ur real opinion Kets u mustnt have much understanding of world football and what is attractive to players

• fray bentos

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Kets it’s time for your electric shock treatment

• Gateshead-Mag

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

people keep saying ba and cisse kiss the grass??

have they ever said thats what there doing?? iv always thought it was to do with being devout muslims, some sort of prayer??

anyone really know??

• Toon_Jock

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Mag.. have a look at this – all is explained – great interview

• Mister Tuff

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Excellent interview with the Journal with Cisse -probably reveals how lucky we are in the west and how individuals are thankful when life offers them opportunities to make something of themselves.
    Back to the match – appears to some it’s going to be the battle of the dodgy defences. I think I would add the battle of whether the forwards click.If Rooney plays will he gel with RVP (Rooneys first touch against us last week was immaculate). Will Ba and Cisse click and produce the long awaited partnership. Cisse surely has to hit form and not get caught in offside positions. Will Shola start – probably not -but he has been playing well as a target man and is as strong as an ox. A good outing by Benny may make the difference -a truly wonderful player.
    I rarely look at the so called players we are SUPPOSED to be interested in -but I did last night. Montpellier player called Younes Belhanda -a 22 year old Moroccan -attacking midfielder. I located a video link ;-
    My word what a player -skills of Benny, a really excellent player. Its a good video and well worth a look.
    Match prediction 3-2 to the Toon -with Benny scoring one of his specials.