Papiss Cisse – I Have Some Surprises For Defenses This Season

There’s an excellent interview with Papiss Cisse in the Newcastle Journal today and this player comes over as a very humble boy, not unlike the two other African players we have in the side – Cheick Tiote, whose Papiss’ best friend in the side, and also Demba Ba of course, who seems to be the epitome of humility.

Papiss Cisse assaulted by Shola after Papiss scored on Thursday night

Cisse is also very polite, and his parents have obviously brought him up with the right priorities in life, but Papiss has also come a long way from his days in Sedhiou in Senegal, to being the number 9 striker at a club as famous as Newcastle United is.

Papiss was born in Dakar, the Capital of Senegal located  on the extreme west coast of Africa, and he was brought up in the remote southern area of Senegal called Sedhiou, and the 26 year-old has come a long long way  from his humble beginnings.

In the evenings Papiss Cisse regularly plays pool with Cheick, and he always beats him – well at least according to Papiss:

“My best friend in the team is Cheick and because of him, my day is always the same.” “After training, Tiote wakes up from his siesta at 5 pm, he calls me and says he wants some Senegalese rice. That means I have to go out and do some shopping to get the ingredients and ask him what time he is coming over.”

“We have the same style, we like to laugh together. Cheick is a completely different person on and off the pitch – he seems crazy on the pitch but off it, he is different but we like the same things. I love playing pool, that is my game. We play all the time and I always destroy Tiote!”

“It’s been very different this season, for sure.” “It was a bit complicated at the beginning. There was some waiting around to score and defenders always seemed to be there – they always seemed to be present in the box.” “My job is now to bring something new and I am working on that. I have some surprises for defences this season.”

“I can’t say what they are! It’s a secret, something that I’m working on with the coach. It is a pleasure to work with this coach, he is such a great influence.” “It’s almost like living a dream. The people who live here are so nice and the supporters really need to be thanked for being behind me all the time.”

“The players are nothing without the supporters so I really want to thank them.” “I always smile. I’m not ill, I have good health, I do my job and people love me.” “I don’t see why I should pull a face about it?”

We often think just how many good characters Newcastle have in their squad these days, and that hasn’t come by accident, as the Newcastle staff do a lot of scouting of players into their background, character  and personalities, to see if they will fit in at Newcastle.

While Papiss is finding goals harder to come by this season,  it seems he has some surprises up his sleeve – and we’ll have to wait and see what they are – but he showed on Thursday night that when he gets half  a chance, he can put that ball into the back of the net with consummate ease. Of course his amazing skill and technique help with that.

We look forward to Papiss Cisse scoring many more goals for Newcastle this season and in the future, and it’s always good to have such a good guy on the books at Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Lynxie

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

nice lad. be nicer still if he makes fergie gan nuts the morra

• Lynxie

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Second anyone? No?

• Lynxie

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Newcastle reserves have now played more games in Europe than 5under1and. FACT.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM

At least Shola managed to sneak into this photo 😉

Great interview. Can’t wait to see these surprises. Let’s hope it’s not knock downs from Willo at set pieces 😉

Also, he must have serious security guards….destroy Tiote? Big words.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Top guy Cisse, really big fan of his.

If anyone was at the Bordeaux game, did you notice when he scored, 5 minutes later when he was running around the pitch, the Gallowgate corner was booming ‘there’s only one Papiss Cisse’ and he turned around and gave them a wave!

He reminds me of Ronaldinho, always seems so happy when he plays. An apt number 9 for this football club, a goalscorer who has a great rapport with the fans.

Hopefully he gets his first Premier League goal of the season tomorrow. Can’t wait for the game.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

All sounds very Positive but:

Actions speak louder than words!

Bang three in tomorrow Papiss! and i will be really surprised!

• ppb

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

whenever tiote comes off the bench there’s a chant of “unleash the destroyer” in the dog and parrot.

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Surprises! Same old, same old, hitting the back of the onion bag will do fine Papisse, feel free to notch 2 or 3 tomorrow.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

it’s disgusting that Howard Webb is allowed to do Manu games. May as well stick him in a red shirt.

Really hope we stick with 433 whoever is up top because Wednesday night was the first time we’ve played football this season.

I wish Pardew would think outside the box a bit and play Santon at RB and Jonas at LB. Santon’s end product is zilch on the left as is Guti’s being played as a winger.

Ameobi has been great of late, but not sure he can do 90 minutes in 4 days

When all fit

Krul

Santon Colo Saylor Jonas

Cabaye Tiote Anita

Benny Ba Fergie

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Carrying – aye I was in the strawberry corner and turned and waved at us all. Top guy.

As bobby Robson used to say, don’t just buy good players, buy good people.
    I’m glad that we are doing that now.
    🙂

• jeff

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM

its weird how cisse and ba never really mention each other in their interviews. cisse has tiote and ba has hatem and yohan. im beginning to think they might not like each other that much, especially since its either one or the other in the national side

• Rotonda heights

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The only bad character pleb we need rid of now is Ranger.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on there?
    We must have had umpteen chances to get rid of him for gross misconduct and he doesnt’ seem to be playing for any NUFC teams, reserves or otherwise.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Jeff – to be honest they’ve got no reason to like each other. The only thing the have in common is there nationality, and to be fair, I’m sure ba has spent a long long time in Europe, where as cisse has spend longer in Africa.

• chris_g

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

“it’s disgusting that Howard Webb is allowed to do Manu games…”

Hadn’t you heard? He completed his move to Man City last month, so we can expect a few dodgy decisions in our favour tomorrow 😉

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Chris g – 🙂

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Whenever I read someone claiming that because Mike went from one shop to billionaire, we should just trust with the club, I immediately cast my mind to how we ship 60 grand a week on Ranger and Xisco and that helps me retain a healthy skepticism. I think the club has just gone into denial about the pair of them.

• Nufc-83

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This interview really makes me smile love the lad.

• steveno7

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Off topic buthere we go.
    Man city and roberto mancini are moaning sayin its unfair they have to play the scum this morning after there midweek lucky escape .
    What a bloody shame .
    Should they get special treatment!
    We had to play chelski after a midweek game.
    Welcome to the real world Mr Mancini.
    Nearly as bad as fergie moaning about time added on with t spurs game .
    Christ man get on with it .

• numba9

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

hope by suprises he means scoring bread and butter goals because he can obviously score the spectacular anyway. come on pappiss send the reds back home with no points and show van persie a thing or two how to finish

• Jonny

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I dont think Cisse is a very intelligent player. Rarely seems to look across the line and make intelligent runs. Much more of an impact finisher when he has no time to think about it. Bit like Obafemi.

• Lynxie

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM

chris g @14:
    Quality LOL 🙂

• chris

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

hope them shooting boots are on fire the morra if theres a time to get his first prem goal be it against manure come on bonny lad 2-1 toon how way the lads

• Graeme

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Ed, sorry mate, but I think you will find that Senegal is on the WEST side of Africa – the side nearest the USA!!

Its a fair hike North of sunny Nigeria, also on the WEST of Africa lol. The EAST coast is Kenya etc, nearest Saudi etc!!

• Ed Harrison

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Correct it’s on the extreme east coast of Africa – I was looking at map when I wrote that too – sorry.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM

@23:

Geaeme! Just wish to point that when i was in the MOB ( Air Force ) in the eighties i had a 7 month detatchment to a place in the South Atlantic called Ascension Island on the Equator!

On route there with the plane we stopped at a place on the EAST Coast of Africa called Dakar to refuel !
    Now i can,t remember in which country it was but i know we were,nt allowed anywhere near the terminal building as we had not been innoculated against Malaria etc!
    We stood beside the aeroplane in the sun, no shadow while it was being refuelled ( 47 degrees )!

Perfectly correct Ed ! EAST coast of Africa, i know because i,ve been there!
    Just thought i,d put you straight on that!

Oh and congrats with yer wedding Anniversary Ed !
    Three points today would be a nice pressie, me-thinks !