The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We Have No Specific Plans To Stop Rooney – Alan Pardew

11:26 pm, Saturday, October 6th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Wayne Rooney has done very well against Newcastle in his career for Manchester United, but not so well in the last few games against us, and the Newcastle manager is saying that the Magpie have no specific plans to stop Rooney tomorrow afternoon at St. James’ Park, in what is a vital game for the Tyneside club.

How do you stop these two world class strikers?

Wayne Rooney has an undeniably impressive record of 10 goals and five assists in just 18 games against Newcastle, and we have to hope he doesn’t add to those number sin tomorrow’s game.

This is what Alan Pardew said about those numbers today in an interview in The Mail:

“It doesn’t surprise me and he’s probably got that record against most teams!” “We don’t have any particular plans to stop him because I don’t think you can do that against Manchester United. If you have a plan for Rooney, then what are you going to do about Van Persie? You need a plan for the whole team.”

‘He could play Rooney in behind the front two, or in his normal role behind Van Persie. Alex has lovely options in that area.” ‘We have been unlucky in terms that this will be the first time they have started together in the Premier League but that’s Manchester United for you.”

“They have world class players.” ‘We think we know what they are going to do and hopefully we can cope with it.” ‘We want to win this game, as do they, because of what happened against Tottenham.”

‘What you do need against United is a positive attitude and you need audacity to take the game to them. If you sit back then they will find a way. They have been doing that for 20 years, finding a way through defences.” ‘I don’t think Ferguson is relishing coming to our place.’ ‘We are going to make it as difficult as possible for them.’

‘Our three subs are going to have to make a massive impact. We are definitely in a great position because my bench is very confident at the moment, no matter who is there.” ‘All my flair players are in good form. Hatem Ben Arfa is playing better than last season.”

“We have massive assets in terms of scoring goals and I don’t think we’ve shown that yet in the Premier League.” ‘So to beat them you need a game plan to score goals.’

We hammered Manchester United 3-0 in this fixture last year,  and if the lads show the same form they showed against Bordeaux on Thursday night, and Manchester United show this season’s frailties in defense, there’s no reason we cannot go out and win this game.

That’s our hope in any case, and it’s now over to Alan and the Newcastle team.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

RVP. Hmmmm.

Anyway I dont think we will repeat last years feat but I am still confident we can nick it. Man U – good forward, so-so mid, not so great back. Do-able.

As Ketsy says, we should be beating teams like Man U all the time…………

• 2 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Yay Yay Yay” First first first I was first I was first! Wow this is just so fantastic I knew I would do it one day I just knew it I just KNEW IT! GET INNNNNN!

In your face everyone IN YOUR F**** FACE I F***** ROCK THIS BLOG YOU ARE ALL F***** LOSERS NOT LIKE ME I WAS F I R S T ! ! !

Is that how you are supposed to do it?

• 3 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Great. Nobody was watching. I feel cheated.

• 4 DG MAGPIE // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM

They should be more concerned about Ba and Cisse 😀

• 5 Tsunki // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Ok see you tomorrow then

• 6 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

What would be the point, unless you also have a specific plan for Van Persie, Nani, Kagawa, Scholes et al. We’re gonna be putting out fires all over the pitch. Let’s just give as good as we get.

• 7 Carryingcoals // Oct 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Tomorrow has the potential to be an absolute classic. I am predicting goals. 2-2, or 3-2 either way. Both great in attack and penetrable at the back. A 0-0 or a 1-1 would massively surprise me.

Can’t wait for this game, HWTL!

• 8 FollowFollow // Oct 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

That Wonga business has to be put out by our owner to soften us up for SJP to stay as SDA and SD to go on our shirts. Well its worked on me. I’m desperate to keep SD now I think that Wonga’s the alternative.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wonga -a London based company make their money (as others do) by charging high interest rates to poor people and those who have bad credit. They have had a lot of trouble with fraudsters and not checking out applicants properly resulting in a lot of people (who did not even have a loan with them) having money taken out of their accounts. Whilst they may be making money -if true about the sponsorship -it seems a very unsavoury alliance (getting money from the pockets of those who can least afford it) and one which has the potential to cause embarrassment. Oh and the mane of the stadium -whatever it turns out to be will also be an embarrassment -Wonga Wonga Land Stadium.

• 10 archaeomag // Oct 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Shylocks -r -us @ St Wonga’s Park

Somebody up there likes a joke!

• 11 89Norcal // Oct 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM

The Wonga Arena… you absolutely must be shitting me!

Anyways, I feel we have a decent shot tomorrow, hopefully RVP will push Rooney completely out of place, as those two really havent had much competitive pitch time together. We obviously have the ability to break their defense and Tiote will be a massive factor.

Here’s hoping Cabaye has another good game and Hatem rips them up.

• 12 nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM

It’s surprising how many fans think we get 10 million a year from the current shirt sponsorship and think we are losing out if we accept 8 for shirt an stadium naming rights. We don’t get 10 million a season, we signed a deal with northern rock in 2010 for four years worth 10 million, 2.5 million per season. Virgin money bought out northern rock when It all kicked off and signed for the same amount with the clauses due to uncertainty. We haven’t sold the naming rights to anyone up to this wonga speculation, Ashley is still showcasing them. That being said our stock has risen a lot since that deal in 2010 and if we can get a good deal on the back of finishing 5th then we should take it because we might not finish that high for a while. The extra revenue from naming rights and te sky deal would top up our revenue nicely, it’s just a shame we cannot have a decent stadium sponsor to compensate for them blooming renaming it in the first place. As far as I am aware Ashley doesn’t pay for renaming sjp so if we do get a sponsor then it’s all in the kitty but will we see it or will our expenses creep up to boot.

• 13 Dukis22lt // Oct 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM

If Alan starts Ba and Cisse up front, I really hope that they will win more balls in the air than in past games this season, Shola did so well against Bordoux I wouldnt be surprised if he starts along side Ba

• 14 Mister Tuff // Oct 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Getting back to the post -away from this Wonga distraction. AP says he has no specific plans to stop Rooney -mmm -I don”t think so -step forward Mr. T.

• 15 IITianToon // Oct 7, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Looks like Mr Howard Webb is the Ref tonight. Pretty sure Harps and Andy Woodman are studying videos of where RVP/Rooney have put their last few penalties!

• 16 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Oct 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Hatem’s time to shine.

Seriously fancy HBA to score today. Could twist Ferdinand and Evans into a big knotted together congealed mass of scared, slow moving defenders…

damn right.

• 17 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 7, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Morning all. Up early for F1.
    Right, where to start.
    Wonga. Detestable company, screws over good people when they need help the most. I find it disgusting to even be linked with them, and if this was true, I will never buy a top with there logo on. I wouldn’t go as far as not turning up to watch the toon, but that’s just me. Really hope it’s not true, and as someone said, sports direct is suddenly a lot better :)
    Rooney – am I the only one who doesn’t get what the fuss is about. On his day he’s unplayable, but how often is he really on his day. I’m a lot more worried about him setting up rvp rather than scoring himself.

I predict a Very entertaining game, and will enjoy it if we win, draw or lose.
    However… I would love it if we won, love it.

• 18 jeff // Oct 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM

get abeid he will cover rooney

marv at left back to cover nani and ben arfa cm . he will ease past the old legs of carrick gigs and schole.

• 19 aussietoonfan // Oct 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Got to say, one of the best things about living down here, is that I’ve never heard of Wonga, so I don’t really care if they’re stumping up the cash. I don’t care if the shirts say Wonga, the stadium is named Wonga, or even if Mike adopts Wonga as his middle name. If it helps NUFC climb the ladder I say go for it!!! Like I say…..Ignorance is simply bliss!!!!

On the game, I think with all the names being bandied around as danger men from both sides, I believe ONE man will massively help determine the result tonight (12:45am Australian time) that man being one H. Webb.

• 20 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 7, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Aussie – yeah, depending which side of Manchester Howard Webb is really playing for this season, we could have some appalling decisions either for or against us.

• 21 aussietoonfan // Oct 7, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I’ll be waiting to BOOM BOOM to be taking an early shower.

I’ve only been a fan since the first year after promotion (10-11) and think that he has been one of United’s unsung shining lights. At least that’s my take on him.

• 22 thai-mag // Oct 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM

WONGA It sounds like the sort of company ashley might have shares in otherwise it must be a wind up

• 23 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Tsunki – just want to take this opportunity (all be it a bit late) to congratulate you on your achievement of coming first on this thread. I shall get started planning the party. :)

• 24 Marty-Toon // Oct 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

You can’t have a plan to watch one or two players but he probably as said that we must double up on them when possible.
    They’ll be doin the same with Ben Arfa .
    I’m expectin him to have a blinder today,I think he’ll make one and score one.
    Will we win?
    Depends on when we score and if we can go 2up and we will need to play well collectively.
    Howay the lads

• 25 hoppernufc // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Rooney is the most overrated player in history he peaked when he was 23, I would have Ben arfa over rooney any day

previous post: Finance Company To Sponsor Newcastle Shirts And Stadium