The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Unhappy At Van Persie – Bemoans Poor Goals Conceded

9:40 pm, Sunday, October 7th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 124 Comments

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has called on the FA to take action against Manchester United striker Robin van Persie,  after today’s defeat against Manchester United, when our lads were definitely second best, and the Red Devils gave their best display of the season at St. James’ Park this afternoon.

Jonny Evans celebrates – after scoring Mn United’s first goal from a corner

Newcastle went down 3-0, and were simply not at the races for the first 25 minutes as the opposition dominated the game and went 2-0 up, but a goal in the second half from Newcastle would have made it int0 a game, and Cisse seemed to have scored with a header after 50 minutes, that David van Gea scooped away – but it looked over the line – yet another call the officials missed.

Pardew wants the FA to investigate Robin van Persie for a vicious elbow at Yohan Cabaye, and the Dutchman can be a nasty peice of work in some games, and he sometimes comes across as a spoiled brat – like when he kept hounding Tim Krul at the Emirates Stadium when he played for Arsenal – and he’s Tim’s team-mate on the Dutch squad too.

This is what Alan said after the game:

“He has looked at Yohan and he has elbowed him, and I think that perhaps needs to be looked at, if I am honest.”

“There’s a bit of history from last year and I don’t know if Robin has been caught up in that, but that was just a little bit unsavoury.”

“I actually thought Yohan wouldn’t have gone down if he hadn’t done something.”

“I didn’t see it myself, but I have obviously seen it on the replay and it looks like he has looked at him and put his elbow there.”

Alex Ferguson was delighted with the display of his side, who now go second top of the league behind Chelsea::

“It was a great result. To come here and win 3-0 against a very powerful, aggressive Newcastle team, you have to really perform and make sure you keep control of the game, and I think we did that most of the time.”

“It’s strange – we played such good football and made a lot of good openings, but we scored from two set-pieces, which is unusual for us, so we will take it, anyway.” “Patrice, I think has only scored two goals and I think Jonny Evans has only scored two goals.”

Newcastle did not defend well today, and all three goals were not good ones to concede, but when some of out stars are not playing – Steven Taylor and Colo were missing today – we’re just not the same side.

Pardew couldn’t have been happy at the display in the first 25 minutes, or with any of the goals we conceded, and he had this to say after the game:

“The goals were not wonder-goals, they were two set-plays, and we were very disappointed with the goals, especially how organised we are as a rule.”

We have a two week break on the back of this very disappointing result, and then two weeks today we’ll need to take Sunderland apart at the Stadium of Light – to make up for this poor performance.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

124 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

need some key players back in usual positions for the unwashed.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Tsunki,
    We need another CB pal thats what we need.

• 3 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Yep krul colo and saylor needed asap

• 4 yorkymag // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Pardew correct about van p sat directly in line with the incident he even looked around and checked where Webb was before he made deliberate contact,seem to remember an fa cup t Brighton when the boot was on the other foot hope justice prevails

• 5 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

If we made the signings we should have made we would be in a good position

• 6 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

nothing will happen about the rvp thing. sky said deGea ‘did just enough to keep the ball out’. we got beat and have no friends. never mind. :(

• 7 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Jail – feel your pain, really do.

• 8 Carryingcoals // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I’ve really gone off RVP. Thought he had a bit of grace/elegance about him but after that Arsenal away game and his behaviour today, I have to say I’m really not a fan.

• 9 yorkymag // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Let’s hope bbc take a different view tonight

• 10 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM

we need stubbsy on the case!

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Tsunki,
    Ha ha :-)

• 12 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Man U were great in that first twenty minutes and Rooney excellent throughout. Can’t complain about the result with Colo and Tayls missing, in fact we did well to match them after being stunned so early.

We don’t need Debuchy or any other fullback, we have Santon, Guti, Anita, Fergie and Simpson, there’s plenty of quality there, but we obviously need a center back, I think it would be a clear case of negligence if we don’t bring in one of the necessary quality in January, transfer policy or not.

• 13 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

OK everyone, close your eyes, think of a sea shore on a warm day, the waves washing slowly over the pebbles, take a slow deep breath of the fresh air as a gentle breeze awww crap we got stuffed by Man U dammit…… (throws sky box against the coalhouse wall)

• 14 Carryingcoals // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’d not carry a broken sky box 😉

• 15 Carryingcoals // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM

jawballsaswallwell

I agree.

I wonder who we could get in January though? Would Mbiwa of Montpellier be available on a Bosman?

• 16 nico // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM

yorkymag

I am serious about Best, simply because he can challenge , hold the ball up and bring other players into play. I agree he’s not the best, no pun intended, but playing either Best or Shola with either Ba or Cisse would have been the way to go.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I hate watching MOTD after we’ve lost but I need to see those two set pieces and the goal that never was.

• 18 Magpies-till-d3ath // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

We are a shadow of the team we were at this stage last season. If today had of been last season, we probably would have drew the game. I hate to say this, but I really don’t think we’re gonna be anywhere near the CL this season and will be very lucky to get Europa League. There is clearly a problem with the club. I hope I get proved wrong, but I can’t see it at the minute. Not playing like this anyway.

• 19 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I go along with putting Shola in there, he still holds his own against the best defenders imo. He may not be a prolific goal machine himself but he is one of the best foils for a striker you can get. Holds up a long ball until people get up to him, takes a strong lad to do that against two defenders time and time again. Watch him its quite funny how frustrating he makes it for them.

• 20 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, doubtless the club knows it will likely be even more difficult to get the type of player we need in January at a price they’re prepared to pay, rather than in the close season. How it all pans out will reveal a lot about our ambitions, I’d think.

• 21 pbNcl // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That first 20 minutes was horrific. Man u were operating at a gear that we jus don’t possess. Then they jus held off us and let us play a bit. It was like torture to watch. Never mind this happens from time to time no biggie

However, if we get this wonga crap anywhere near our club I’m doin time in durham. Cos ill have fat mike’s head for a paperweight

• 22 Thump // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

A few people have said we played better after 20 minutes but from my seat, we played as well as Man U let us play – not a whole lot, basically. We practically handed them the noose and said “could you lads just tighten it a bit?”.

Positives: Santon looked sharp and Jonas didn’t stop running. Outside of that, I think Pardew needs to send a message to the starting XI and remind them that there’s some young lads and fringe players coming through who aren’t afraid to step up.

• 23 Thump // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

@pBNcl: Bloody hell mate, how big is your paper? 😀

• 24 geordielad880 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My side when everyone is fit:-

———————-Krul

Simpson——s.taylor——collocini——Santon

—————-tiote——–jonas
    ———————cabaye
    ——-ben arfa———————-marvo

———————–Ba

• 25 SupaToonKid // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Need a CB desperately. Mbiwa or Douglas is a must in January. I don’t think we need Debuchy as even if Simmo goes then I’m very happy with Santon coming to RB with Fergie at LB. Really we just need a CB & another FW to give us something different to what we’ve got like a quick/creative player i.e. Giuseppe Rossi/Del Piero type of player.

• 26 yorkymag // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Nico
    Now I see
    For me sell demba and bring in another option in jan caroll or one of mr carrs jems,but something different for gods sake.
    Now I can sleep easy in the knowledge you were using besty onlyb for illustrative purpose!!

• 27 magpiepoot // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Terrible game today! Will we ever win a header!! I counted twice in that game

• 28 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I didnt like Santon on the right as an alternative in THIS game, he looked the part but the play never saw him for large periods, he was under-utilised but maybe it could still work with a few of the regulars back and some improved distribution from midfield (yes I am talking to you Mr Anita ha ha) and from cabaye operating further forward. There was such a gap behind the strikers they were facing our half and being jumped on all game.

• 29 nico // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

yorkymag

Haha, yes sleep easy mate.

Carroll would have been great back here, how effective has he been for West Ham. We do need another player of his type.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

With the lack of security at SJP I think it would be quite easy to carry out a day of the jackal type assassination of Mashley a smoke grenade eould allow for a quick escape.

• 31 magpiepoot // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Is the wonga deal for def? I wasn’t sure if it was the telegraph talking poop (I can’t bear idea of my beloved st James being called the wonga arena!) :(

• 32 nico // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

geordielad880

I’d put Santon on the right and play Fergie left back with Obertan rather than Marvo left mid.

• 33 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I’m not sure that Man U just closed down the game after 20 mins and let us have the ball in areas where we couldn’t hurt them. I think you’re giving them credit there that they didn’t earn.

Bringing in Guti as part of a midfield three was more influential, as was a sense of professional pride in refusing to get leathered. I thought we were going to fall in a heap at 2 nil, but we dug in instead.

• 34 nico // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM

magpiepoot

I think its just paper talk for now. I sure hope its not true.

• 35 pbNcl // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Ill find a use for the head. I’m thinking screw a pumpkin I’m goin all out……

WONGA!!!!!!!!

BLIDDY WONGA!!!!! The club better squash this rumour by lunch tomorrow or I’m gonna have a very bad week!

• 36 nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Blah blah blah. Yeah we lost to a team who finished joint top of the league last season so lea just brush the defeat under the carpet. What a load of shortsighted rubbish. Our performances have been very worrying and some fans don’t seem to realise that it comes back to bite you on the ass eventually. 9 points from 7 games isn’t good form but when you consider legitimately we should of lost to reading and Everton then it’s even worse. We are lucky that there has been so many international breaks so far this season.

Today man united were nothing special, granted they move off the ball a lot so they always have a man in space but they scored for two sloppy set pieces and a lucky cross come shot. Disappointing but what we offered in return was even more so. We lack cohesion and when we have the ball are lacklustre with no idea what to do. Anyone who goes to the games I ask you next time we are in possession just take a look at what options the man with the ball has but beat in mind you are higher up so have better vision than him, it’s woeful. Man united today made space for themselves and wanted the ball. We have several players who just want rid of the ball as soon as they get it. Jonas is just another James Milner, works tirelessly but little end product for an alleged winger. Not knocking him but he isn’t a winger anymore. Ben Arfa is more of an attacking midfielder, he would rather dribble in the box than whip a ball in. Tiote And cabaye are very deep and don’t create enough but maybe thats because most of the players are static. This team just isn’t gelling yet, the front six are our first choice, it’s only at the back we are missing krul, colo and Taylor. To add a young lightweight Shane ferguson to fringe players perch and Williamson at the back against man united is stupid. Danton should of been lb and Anita/Simpson at rb. Why was ferguson in the team? For his crossing ability not his defensive capabilities. Bad management from Pardew and I don’t care what anyone says. The owner is a joke as well, as good as he thinks he is at balancing the books sometimes its best to pay that extra bit to get the man over the line. We’re quick to ship players out but not get them in, every league place is with so much an a few extra players could have paid for themselves. The window was a shambles and the lads need to move their bums more when they’re off the ball. I see so much potential in the current group but its being wasted, how long before the current lot get unhappy with the lack of ambition? Ben Arfa has come out and said he needs to cherish his job as it is a short career, any decent club comes in for one of our better players and as thing stand they will be off. We offer very little to the good footballers at the club, wage structure, bad style of play, unambitious. Before anyone starts giving it the big one about me not sounding like a fan then you can do one, if I wasn’t a fan then why would I be so worked up right now?

Next game at home against a lesser team I would love to see us play 4:5:1

Krul
    Santon. Taylor. Collo. Simpson/jonas
    Anita cabaye tiote ferguson
    Ben Arfa
    Ba/cisse

• 37 nico // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

jawballsaswallwell

Do you not think we should have played this way from the start? Cisse on bench with a winger e.g. Obertan on the left.

• 38 pbNcl // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

JFA

I’m in

I have a dark jacket and a black hat. I can probs get in a window. Its a start

• 39 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Forgot to mention another perennial reason we got nowhere near their goal not a single decent cross. We couldnt buy one in a church gift shop. they put in fantastic crosses almost every time, we would have had a bagful with those. HBA sent his onto barrack road nearly every time, Cabs almost never reached their 18 yard ha ha. ok but you know what I mean.

• 40 magpiepoot // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Nico I hope your right!! Or I’m joining pbncl on his hunt to make mashley a pumpkin :)

• 41 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

So, nick_9, apart from that we did ok then? :)

• 42 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Yeah, I guess so, although hindsight is always of course 2/20.

I think Pards understandably is looking for the two Senegalese hitmen to come good in tandem and wanted to attack them from the off.

• 43 Thump // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM

nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM

You should have been next to me and my mate today, in that case. I don’t think I want to hear – or have to say – the word “options” ever again.

@jaw: I think Pards needs to work on getting the midfield to put the ball in danger areas before the form will come.

• 44 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM

nick_9 is right about the lack of options there was little off the ball movement in contrast to their players who moved into free space with seeming ease,

Though I am sorry to say I didn’t agree with the desperate tone of the rest of it, and the Jonas is no better than James Milner thing made me chuckle.

• 45 nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Thump for me movement is key and we’re that static we just knock it sideways or backwards. You know times are hard when you are crying our for shola to come on just so you link up better.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Pbncl,
    You can let off the smoke grenade I’m defo the triggerman,maybe someone like wynsleap can take out Dastardly.

• 47 nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Jonas is an absolute work horse but why oh why is he on the wing? I can’t recall him putting a ball in all game and if he did then surely it wasn’t note worthy? I’m not saying I sit want him in the team but is it my a wingers job to create chances with crosses? Or now do they just protect the Defense. It’s not that I don’t want him in the team but is rather who wingers and full backs who can whip a ball in, obviously ferguson can whip a ball in but not at the expense of his defensive duties. I would happily have Jonas as a Dm alongside cabaye and tiote in tricky games. Being captain protects him a bit.

• 48 Thump // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Agreed, nick. In the second half, Santon gave the ball to Jonas who must have ran about 5 yards with his hands in the air trying to see who wanted it… needless to say it was given to Tioté and possession was promptly lost.

Wonder what was wrong with Cheik today, actually. Looked well off pace to me.

• 49 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Not sure about an assault on Ashley Fortress using smoke grenades or even flashbangs it would probably look like any regular sing song saturday for Big Mike and Del the Karaoke Kings.

• 50 Graeme // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

We were out-thought; out-fought and out-performed.

Pardew ought to hang his head in shame if he really said we were well prepared for this game and looking forward to it. We were abysmal, all over the park. Manure were well up for it, we were not at the races, not even slightly interested in being there either.

On this performance, coupled with the last 3 or 4 performances, then Europe next season is little more than a pipedream. We will be lucky to finish in the top half unless a dramatic shake-up takes place during the International break.

Pardew has got the best part of two weeks to shake the apathy out of the squad and get them performing as they proved they can last season. Some serious “Home-truths” need to be taken on board. Our performance today was just not good enough.

• 51 pbNcl // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The kill’s yours. As long as I get the head. Or most of it, enough to get a candle in

It doesn’t make sense tho, a sports brand famed for ‘value’, replacing virgin which is a good reputable brand with a finance company that takes your teeth out. A pirate business which makes misery its trade, this is pr suicide and surely the fat man see’s that. Or he’s done it again and we’re stormin the place

• 52 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

a raining day, best slept on. I bid you ll good morrow sirs. Mackem preps begin with earnest I hope.

• 53 nick_9 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I think a lot of players felt nervous and rushed play today, with us being 2:0 down so early on and Webb getting on our nerves it got very hostile quickly. I felt for Anita having to come on with such an intense atmosphere.

• 54 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

*draining day. Not a film, just an expression.

• 55 Jamesthefirst // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Positives:

1) When Pardew sets up the team wrong or they are not pulling their weight he is able to organise and galvanise them. After second goal of Utd today and same against Everton. The players clearly play for him and respect him.

2) We have a lot of excellent players who can turn this around. Cabaye, Tiote, Krul, Colo, Ben Arfa, Cisse, and BA could get into any top team.

3) Ashley has given us stability to stop unrest in the dressing room or paper talk should we have a few games where things don’t go well.

4) Cabaye is almost back to his best, and there will be a big difference in our performances when he is.

5) Last season Pardew kept playing 4-4-2 then realised it just didn’t work and switched to 4-3-3 for the rest of the reason. He will switch it again.

6) We still haven’t been able to field our first 11 this season, and when we do there will be a big difference. Colo, Taylor, and Krul would not have conceded those first two goals today.

7) We are going to beat Sunderland

• 56 Tsunki // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM

James – on that positive and level-headed note I will sleep fitfully. Good night. :)

• 57 pbNcl // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I’ve got no doubt or loss of faith in our players, or management. Just the hierarchy, namely fat sam and dorty des. Unless this wonga deal is tripe, then ill be a bit apologetic as I’m online now trying to get hold of a smoke grenade.

Having wonga on our shirts is shameful. The company just represents bare evil

• 58 wynsleap // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Jail @ 46 – Thanks for your vote of confidence mate – it would be a labour of love.

• 59 jasper // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Surprised Tsunki thinks Santon ineffective on the right. I thought it was great seeing him in a position to get behind the defender, gave us width. Was up and down he wing all game. Could develop a good understanding with HBA
    Performers today were Santon, Jonas and Cabaye who put in a hell of a shift defensively. Tiote was appalling, got himself booked stupidly – as did his understudy Bigi – and was a liability. Just seems to be preoccupied with looking for opportunities for body- check type tackles.
    They moved from 4 – 4 – 2 to 4-4-3 and looked much better
    Ferguson was fine. Good interplay with Jonas. One overlap reminiscent of how Jonas worked with JE. Poor crosses today though
    Overall not as bad a display as the score line suggests.

• 60 toonLYF // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM

fort we waz triffic today….

Taylor and Colo are huge to us in the long run, we had a shocker today, about 10 out of our 11 players weren’t really THAT interested. (Santon being the guy i considered to put in his all in from start to finish)…i’m yet to read the irrational short sighted comments from today, but the lads know what the 21st means – We beat Sunderland away, today is forgotten about.

• 61 MapleLeafToon // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Nick_9 Is spot on! except for the guti comment, Harper just about gifted 2 more goals too ManU! I was crying! not laughing! We have no problem passing and keeping the ball when it’s going backwards or sideways lately. IMO Ferguson is not a LB, has pace but not the size or strength. We don’t need 1 centerback we need 2!!! + 1 LB and another striker who can hold the ball up and score atleast 10-12 goals a season, the more the better.Defense has been and continues too be the major downfall of our Club, when will we address this desparate issue? Been watching since 1993 and the problem is still the same No Defence! You build from the Stopper outward, Krul is a fantasic young keeper, Colo is in the 30″s how many more year’s will he be able too stop the dam from bursting? S.Taylor will get atleast 1 straight red and score at least 1-2 own goals every season he plays, our best and strongest position is in the midfield, Shola will be gone soon, then we will have nobody too hold the ball up for the gifted African strikers! Ben Arfa is magical but he is only 1 player on a team! We need 11 playing together to win, I hope and pray Mr Carr can find these new young players for NUFC, and that Mr Ashley buys them, they are sadly needed. What a difference a year makes 9 points in 7 games! we should have 7 points, Reading and Everton where both robbed! the truth hurts but I must face the cold hard facts, this is not Fantasy football were you bet from your heart not your head!!!! We are making progress it’s just not fast enough!! sorry but that’s how I feel.

• 62 boater // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

The reason we are persevering with 4-4-2 is to honour the pledge Pardew made to Ba about playing him central. I can’t see any longterm benefit in dropping him or Cisse – it’s vital he finds a way for them to perform together or they will demand an exit.

Still think 4-3-1-2 is the way to go with this group of players.. but that requires full backs able to overlap as well as see out defensive duties – I think we have that, at a push.

The fullback issue is as big as any striker or central issue we have at the moment, not sure today was the right game to experiment, with Simpson available but Pards is right to be changing things around there – we have been terrible on the flanks this season.

• 63 89Norcal // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

well if there’s one positive to take from this game, its the consistency of Shane Ferguson. He put a few dangerous crosses in and the kid has excellent technique, though I agree the more seasoned Anita should have started.

these kind of losses are frustrating because its obvious we have the class to beat Man U, but we never get rolling. and FFS would pards just play the Dembas in a 1-1 setup? all the do in a 4-4-2 is sit in the center side by side! move across each other!

• 64 Brutooon // Oct 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

1) we got a championship centre back! Perch and Williamson is a disaster!

2) Williamson must be the tallest player for Nufc but NEVER won any header!

3) Alan Pardew took gamble by bringing in Anita and Ameobi but didn’t succeed. Anita is like a headless chicken at the middle of the path. Would prefer him at right back and Jonas stick in the middle

4) Santon and Fergie should be our full back from now on.

• 65 nick_9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Boater i think a lot of fans are judging players and being a bit inconsiderate. I have seen people suggesting today proved ferguson isn’t ready. Today he was paired with two defenders who we class as backup against a team that lost the title on goal difference alone. It was bound to be a tough game for him, we all think he is a little lightweight for a fullback so to be up against man united today was always a big ask. Ba and Cisse, many fans dont think they can play together. Surely if they both have service they can score lots even if they dont link up together well. We really aren’t providing much service to the strikers let alone quality service, you often see one of the strikers out on the wing or in our own half trying to get the ball.

Luckily this international break has fallen at the right time, hoping all three of krul, collo and taylor are back for the mackems away. A defeat there would be a disaster, 9 points from 8 games would look very bad on us indeed. Hopefully we can keep the key players fit for a good duration and hope they gel better. My concern is if ben arfa gets injured i fail to see us creating many openings as things stand.

• 66 BigKirky // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I was at the game as usual. The first half hour of so was highly annoying as we just looked too nervous of what the great Man Utd ‘may’ do rather than getting in their faces closing them down and battling them with some confidence and determination. Reminded me of Bordeaux against us on Thursday.

Individually I think our midfield is better than theirs and I wanted to see our players have belief that they were and could win and dominate Man Utds midfield. We started to come back into it though which was better, but still looked a bit nervous to get at them at times.

I thought Santon was my M.O.M. He really is a fine athlete and almost glides over the turf carrying the ball. He is a strong lad too and powerful. One of my favourite players, probably second behind Hatem. In his first game I saw him rolling around with a ridiculous dive. He’s never ever done that again and always picks himself up and gets on with it, which I think is great bearing in mind the general Italian football culture of theatrics.

Anyway, we weren’t really expecting points so although not a great scoreline, it’s not mega bad.

By the way, that commanding centre half we were harping on about wouldn’t have gone a miss in the game.

• 67 elpaso_geordie // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

When Pardew brings on Shola and sticks him on the right of a 433 i realise the situation is worse than alot of people would care to believe.
    We have been nothing short of etremely disapointing all season…
    name one game we have performed…………………. you cant !!!!

• 68 nick_9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM

BigKirky spot on. Santon has been excellent this season. He is still very young and should improve even more so. A very good signing after the disappointment of enrique leaving.

• 69 elpaso_geordie // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

where has all the fluency and good football from last season gone – we have the same group of players …

i find it very strange………………….

• 70 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Slow start and poor defending. Willo and Perch would be hard pressed to make a defensive pairing in the Championship unfortunately for us. It’s not their fault is it Llambias? Interesting to see Ashley and Llambias having a good laugh when we were 3-0 down. They must really care how we play. No wait Ashley was rubbing his hands thinking about the gate receipts with another 52,000 in the park.

• 71 toonLYF // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM

teams for the mackems anybody?

(plus seems like a while since i typed out a squad that had what i would consider our first team)

——————Krul———————
    Anita——Taylor—–Coloccini—–Santon

——————-Tiote——————–
    ——–Jonas————–Cabaye——–

—————-Ben Arfa——————-
    ————-Cisse——Ba—————–

I think we’re doing fairly good so far, it just seems poor in comparison to last seasons start. The fact our back 4 has been ever changing is the key to it for me, we’ve been conceding very soft goals. I reckon that’ll be solved once Colo and Taylor get a few games together though; then we just need to work on actual methods and ways of which to attack rather than doing so seemingly spontateously. All of the top teams have a core system of attack to fall back on when in need of a goal, long ball would be fine and is an effective way when done with some sort of real conciousness with a little more forward thinking. Like sometimes (kind of all of the time) we play a long ball, one of our frontmen wins it, but nobody takes a chance from midfield by making a run and getting some numbers up there (Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Gutierrez). It’s almost as if they’re too disciplined positioning wise, and teams make us pay by simply keeping the ball knowing that our players aren’t going to stray to far from their positions.

Just a though like, but i’m still pretty confident going into the Sunderland game, i’ve watched a few of their games this season and i expect us to control possession and make Mignolet work quite alot.

• 72 NUFC STEVE // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Hope pardew takes this as the final straw, realizes some home truths and tries to re-invent the teams style!!
    1) 4-4-2 is a thing of the past and BA and Cisse can’t play together
    2)we need to play a far far higher possession game
    3)he should think about buying a winger as Gutierrez isn’t one.
    4) create a free role for Ben Arfa
    5)change formation to 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1
    6) start getting more quality crosses into BA (don’t laugh but Stewart downing mightn’t be a bad punt at 5 mil?)
    7)we need to get Williamson and perch out of CB and buy a CB
    8) start defending set pieces ryt for once and get back to the defensive machine if old!!

• 73 NUFC STEVE // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM

One thing BA thrives on is crosses and we can only do that with 2 wingers who can beat their men.Not Gutierrez

• 74 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Good points made elpaso geordie. I don’t think either Cabaye or Tiote has really gotten going this season yet. We have to find a formation that works for Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa while still being able to defend. Without cover at CB and starting slowly (or not at all) each game we are always trying to recover instead of putting pressure on teams from the start. The Bordeaux game was bad for us actually. They made it too easy for us. Once they were behind they didn’t press the ball at all and put no pressure on our weak defense. Hopefully both Saylor and Collo are back soon or we will drop more points.

• 75 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

If there is one good thing that might come out of this performance and result it could be that the team may now recognize it’s problems are more significant than thought and need to be addressed now, it’s a bit more than simply just a matter of not running into form yet.

• 76 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Spot on jawballs. This is more than just finding form. The team looks completely flat at the start of almost every game. We don’t generate enough decent crosses in attack and Willo with Perch at CB just doesn’t work. We saw similar things last season when we had injuries to Collo and/or Saylor. The 4-4-2 formation is not going to work so someone (Cisse most likely) will have to play wide or be dropped from the starting lineup until he finds form. Still waiting for Pardew to wake up. It would help if we had a replacement for the useless Llambias as well.

• 77 thai-mag // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I wonder how long it will be before Pardew relises Ba and Cisse just doesn’t work, its like starting a game with only 10 men, we need another man in midfield for the big teams, it sometimes works against the weaker sides but thats about it

• 78 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

NUFC STEVE your point 7 would mean spending money and Ashley/Llambias just won’t do that. We have had 3 windows now where we needed a CB and didn’t get one. The excuses are meaningless. Good players are too expensive? What on earth are they talking about? They have plucked some great players out of other teams for little money and now they expect to continue to do so? Utter rubbish. This just won’t work. The supporters are already getting unsettled. If we lose at the dark place it will get much worse.

• 79 nick_9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

NUFC STEVE // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

———————————————————

Agree with your point but not your suggested signing haha. I for one think we need two fast wingers who can put a good ball in, it seems our wingers are moulded into extra fullbacks. At the minute we are struggling that is why ferguson is a breath of fresh air. What on earth has happened to maveaux? Money grabbing hoilett would have done more so in the time marveaux has had.

• 80 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Have to agree about Marveaux nick_9. He has been very disappointing. He was supposed to be a classic winger with blazing pace and a great cross who could also dribble into the box (I would be happy with 2 out 3 there but not zero out of 3). We have a lot of players now in their early 20’s who don’t seem to be improving or are always injured including Vuckic, Gosling, Sammy, (should I even mention Abeid?), possibly Tavernier et al. I suppose every club has a few but why all midfielders (except Tav)? Just tired of excuses from Llambias I guess.

• 81 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Reality dawned a bit today –we are probably not as good as I had hoped for, we got a bit of a footballing lesson. The weaknesses in defence were plain for all to see –and put into context our great summer gamble of not buying defenders that the club publicly acknowledged were needed. I fear the chickens are coming home to roost. But wait, all is not lost, we over achieved last season but are ahead in our five year plan. I recall the target is 8th this season, or was it within the top 8 (cannot remember). Then probably next season top 6. So really all is fine and dandy. I think the likes of Cabaye, Tiote, Santon and Benny will understand the plan and hang around to see it being achieved – like hell they will- they’ll be off somewhere else to get medals and the building process will start over again and the Toon will be owned by someone else, with Ashley pocketing the sales monies to reduce what the club owes him. I think I understand the plan now.
    Ashley –caught on camera laughing did not look good.

• 82 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Makes him look like he doesn’t care about the club Mister Tuff. Never seems to be following the game very much. He should try watching without Llambias the club fool beside him and decide for himself if Llambias is doing a good job.

• 83 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM

@Mister Tuff, To be honest I DON’T think we overachieved last season. Maybe in a sense that our new transfer acquisitions hit the ground running, but in terms of class we deserved to be 5th spot. At our best we are better than Tottenham and Pool imo.

I welcome the EL burden because now our youngsters get valuable playing time. We’ve just had rotten luck with injuries at the back (as usual) and we have 2 key players in Cabs and Cisse not in form. Cisse has effectively 60-65 minutes every game to score before Pards subs him with Shola and the failure to score must be on his mind.

I just wish we’d gotten right in Man U’s face, especially at home ffs. That’s when we perform the best. In the end they beat us the easiest way they could, through set pieces.

• 84 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Geordie – re it looking like he does not care -exactly -that is now the public, no worldwide perception -raucous laughter when his team are getting stuffed. That clip of him laughing makes me fear what he is going to do next.

• 85 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

89Norcal -did the club not put out the over achievement line so it fitted in with the “we are ahead in our five year plan” statement. (ie warning fans not to get to optimistic).

• 86 mattyNUFC // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Marveaux can still come good and have a vital role to play. whereas he is off form, players like obertan have a ceiling whose height we’re all well aware of

• 87 Brutooon // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM

The problem is Vernon Anita.

Is he a defensive mid? because we got Bigi to replace Tiote

• 88 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

@Mister Tuff, it’s a nice counter balance to the uptight transfer policies of MA, and will keep the fans calm to a point.

Unfortunately for us we’re likely to accept massive offers for our star players before we every bolster our squad enough to challenge for the top 4.

• 89 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Brutoon, I don’t think anyone expected Bigi to perform as well as he has considering he’s just 18 years old.

But Vurnon is a defensive minded midfielder with more technical ability than Tiote or Bigi. At Ajax he was a solid long passer and I could see him catalyzing the Shola-Ba connections in the future. He’s also very agile.

• 90 MapleLeafToon // Oct 8, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with! Since the inseption of the EPL how many teams have won the league that did not have the lowest goals against? Can anyone answer this question for me please! EPL started in 1993 so 19 years correct.

• 91 headtheball // Oct 8, 2012 at 3:48 AM

All together now
    Howwward Webb is a WONGA,is a WONGA

• 92 jesperfuglsang // Oct 8, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Morning lads! :-)

Yesterday was a real bad experience for me football-wise; I didn’t watch the game ’cause I had to play myself and we lost 2-1 and I was cheated out of a penalty. Newcastle was heavyly beaten and Brøndby lost as well :-(

So what can we take from the game and was it was bad as the stats I reas last night indicated?

Is it the same old same old 4-4-2 (would 4-3-3 had made any different?)

We seem to have a problem setting us up for a game – it takes us most of first half to be ready.

Oh well, I had hoped we could have build on the performance against Bordeaux :-( Is it Sunderland next?

• 93 Graeme // Oct 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Good morning Jesper, Yes, we were bloody awful, all over the pitch. We looked uninterested until 0-2 down and then it was too late.

We now have the International break before the SMB’s at the stadium of plight. Hopefully Pardew can wake them up, instill some of our vaunted “team spirit” back into the side before we travel to the dark-side!!

• 94 cyprus // Oct 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM

@72,
    ‘defensive machine of old’? :) Exactly when was that?
    What we need (apart from a good defense, of course!): 1) People moving when off the ball (remember Jonas lifting his hands ‘well, who wants this ball?’) 2) A solution to the 2 CF’s conundrum. Individually, they are surely among the best in the PL. How do these alphas learn to play together?

• 95 jesperfuglsang // Oct 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Greame…thanks mate :-) lets hope the break will do them some good…

• 96 bills-son // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM

What I didn’t get was the ball constantly being fed into Tiote when we got possession. That happened because he at least was always making himself available while Cabaye, who is the one who can make the killer pass, was nowhere to be seen. Yes, the defense was a problem but the reason why we aren’t performing well this season is a total lack of cohesion and creativity from midfield. ManU gave us plenty of the ball and we created one chance in the second half. That says it all.

• 97 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM

As bad as NUFC were yesterday MUFC were the best they have played this season and they needed two poorly defended set pieces and a dodgy cross to win, first 20 were horrible but after that we got into the game certain players didn’t perform though so we had (again) little attack

We have issues but the way our club is ran (and possibly the ideology behind the scenes) means we always will

• 98 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Has anyone else relised that tiote is constantly giving the ball away now which leads to attacks and us almost concieding a goal.

How was RVP still on the pitch after his two takles in the first half which would of been yellow cards to anybody???

• 99 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Eaststand
    True but he is second to none in a tackle his passing at times is laughable but he works his backside off to cover his failings. To me he just seems to try the hollywood ball or his ballerina act too often

• 100 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Wwycd

Aye he does i like watching bigi he just plays it simple which is what tiote needs to start doing again playing it simple is so affective thats all manure did and it opened us up, if we were playing a top side on thur we would of got picked off aswell. Its sad watching us at the moment theres no passion, best players are santon and guti.

• 101 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Eaststand
    Aye I think Bigi is what Tiote used to be before all the public praise (though he still tried to be a ballerina haha). Hopefully when our CBs are back we will be more settled at the back and our CMs will relax into their game more

I do agree though I am getting sick of us being poor this season surely there will be a turning point soon though has to be considering the quality of our starting 11

• 102 Burni // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

This blog turns into a dump when we get beaten. Aye off man U as well. Some of U must have delusions of grandeur

I get that its frustratin this season believe me I do. I have had my fair share of negative comments relating to the way the team are no where near their best. But some of the tripe that’s been posted is knee jerk reactionary crap.

I hope that in the cold light of day u realise quite how over the top a lot of you have been.

Like I say, im in no way happy, but when we lose to a decent man U team, I dont expect this about mike Ashley and questioning pardew.

As I said , I know we haven’t been our best this season and I dont know why it is, but we were our best at the end of last season, same team same players so chill out will you.

• 103 Burni // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Same manager*

• 104 martoon // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

As usual completely over the top postings. Yes it was gutting to get hammered at home but we were playing Man U with a second string defence. We improved after the first 20 minutes and with a bit of luck (which we probably used up against Everton) we could have pulled it back to 2 1 and then it would have been a different match.

• 105 cyprus // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Personally would not focus on Tiote… he always makes himself available, plays like a warrior, we need that.
    Given the quality of players we have, we should be playing better. Last year, we ground results (yep, we hardly had any cracking games, I can only remember two if I’m being honest) through a) hard work all over, with two of our players being top in the PL in terms of kilometres covered, b) moments of individual brilliance. So, we need those two ingredients again, plus, (c) to play a bit more like a team. I get the feeling that a few heads were turned this summer, hope I’m wrong.
    Having said all these criticisms, the group of players we now have is excellent, if viewed individually.

• 106 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Wwycd

Once we get our defence back it will be a different story, i also think we should change to one up top with HBA in a free role, ba and cisse cant play together so i can see shola and ba against the scum

• 107 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Eaststand
    Am not currently a fan on HBA in a free role tbh I like him on the right with the ability to drift. I don’t think Shola will start against the mackems reckon it’ll be Ba and Cisse up top or Cisse on the wing in a 433

Shola will get some minutes but probably only 30 minutes I’d guess

Hopefully we will have Colo and Saylor back by then should be fit surely time will tell though

• 108 Hebburn Mag // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Well… Van Persie (pr*ck)! absaloutley hate the lad,such a knob, such a dirty player. And who would have known it, during the interviews at the end of Fergie claimed that united were amazing, they cannot do anything wrong in his eyes! Loved how also in the interviews cleverley tryed to say that his goal was a shot and not a cross, bollocks! Apart from that they wre the better side and we were beaten, not well beaten but beaten. I just think yesterday showed that we need krul back in goal, s.taylor, collo and simmo back in defence. Alot of people may disagree but I think harper is past it for us, im not saying this because of his age but yesterday just showed that hes no good for us anymore, he maybe do better in the championship but not for a PL side, hate to admit it but its true.

• 109 bills-son // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Tiote should be ‘winning it and giving it’ to the creative players but he is also becoming the player who is being ‘given it’ when that player should be Cabaye. Cabaye might look great in training, he might have great skills BUT he doesn’t get on the ball enough in far too many games.

In our best eleven we only have two really creative players – Cabaye and HBA – and Cabaye just isn’t doing it yet this season. We can’t keep relying on miracle goals from HBA and Ba. Part of the problem is also IMO Ba and Cisse together – its not working and Pards has to know that. We need to give Shola a run, get Oba and HBA on the wings to give us more width, and give Cabaye a kick up the r’s.

• 110 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I’ll echo some of you and acknowledge the insanity in not working play through Cabaye more. Tiote is solid on the ball, his control reminds of me of Sergi Busquets under pressure, but maybe he’s a bit off his game.

But we have France’s starting playmaker in our side, it’s criminal to ignore him as much as we do.

I just hope Colo, Saylor and Krul get well soon, and Pardew sorts out the Dembas because I’d say 90% of the time they play awfully together and Shola ends up getting subbed on.

• 111 Jail for Ashley // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM

The people claiming that we have been terribly unlucky with injuries,surely can see the irony that the three of the main victims are in the positions a majority of posters were screaming for us to strengthen.would Collo have played against man u reserves midweek had an adequate replacement been at the club.

• 112 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Wwycd

I think hba would work in a free role with tiote and cabaye behind him, i think oba needs to get a chance and jonas must start every game, we need to rotate ba and cisse, i would like to see santon at rb more he was our stand out player yesterday. Harper is well past it now forster would of got his chance now if he had stayed we need timmy back asap along with saylor and colo

• 113 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Jfa

Spot on mate if we had got those players in we would be fine and its now showing that we needed them end of the window pards said we are ok we dont need anyone he signs an 8 year deal and says we need 3 players in.

• 114 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

JfA
    Haha we are meant to forget about the transfer window mate howay its how mags work 😉

Eaststand
    I think he is too ball greedy and would just try to rambo every attack if he was give a true free role. Personally I don’t have a issue with Harps though I agree with rotating Ba and Cisse

As for Santon I didn’t see enough of him yesterday to comment but if he is moved to RB I would argue we don’t have a LB to fit into the first 11

• 115 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Wwycd

We have anita who could slot in the lb position and going in for peiters is now a must.

Hba is always looking to pass to other players around him more now so if he was in the free roll he would bring cabaye into the game more which is what we need and hes working hard for the team now, we need a different option and would like to see if it would work if not then thats not the end of the world but we have to try something.

• 116 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM

@WWYCD, To me it looks like Hatem has changed for the better, remember when he gave the penalty to Cisse? Hopefully we wouldn’t be so fickle as to rip Hatem apart if he DID make a selfish play here and there in a free role, wishful thinking i know :)

• 117 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Eaststand
    There were promises made to Anita that he wouldn’t play FB though don’t think Pards would go back on them so quickly after making them.

I have to disagree with HBA always looking for a pass aswell haha sorry like could do with trying it though like u say preferably in a Europa game but I doubt Benny will play in them

• 118 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

89Norcal
    Tbf he was told to by the captain I doubt it was his idea to (stupidly imo) let Cisse take the pen. And every now and then being selfish is fine but now constantly which Benny is know for

• 119 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

@WWYCD, Well I didn’t know the bit about the captain, but at any rate Hatem’s selfish play seems to have payed off more often than not. Most of our shortcomings are rarely a result of his selfishness (rather he keeps us afloat nowadays) but our overall obsolete tactics.

I know Pardew is a better tactician than this too, but he’s trying to force it to work with starting both Dembas.

• 120 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

89Norcal
    Ah right aye mate Jonas told HBA and Ba they should let Cisse take the pen to get him off the mark in the league. Have to disagree on HBA being selfish paying off more often than not imo he regularly ignores teammates in order to run into trouble and lose the ball during attacks, when it comes off though is great and he is often our main outlet just my opinion though

• 121 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM

@WWYCD, That certainly sounds like the OLD Ben Arfa to me, but tbh I haven’t seen him really put a foot wrong over the last year, he’s only been an asset especially when we run into a brick wall with the likes of Jonas on the ball.

All the neutral outlets seem to point to him as our brightest player game in and game out, and when the other 9 players play horribly, he’s the one to give us any shot in hell at creating something.

I just think he is the missing link in supplying Ba and Cisse with more chances. Cabaye seems to hang back to far to accommodate HBA in that forward area.

• 122 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM

89Norcal
    Although I agree he has changed I don’t think he is a completely different player, don’t get me wrong I love the lad but he isn’t the messiah of the black and white as far as am concerned. Its all about opinions though isn’t it lad :)

• 123 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

@WWYCD, oh I agree, don’t mistake me for making him into our sole savior I wouldn’t jump on that so quickly. But he’s vastly important to our team and has gotten better and better. Sadly I doubt we’ll hang on to him much longer if we slump back into midtable obscurity.

Anyways I should really turn in now, it’s 2AM over here what are you all doing up? :) good talking to ya WWYCD.

• 124 WWYCD // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

89Norcal
    I can see us keeping him for awhile tbh he seems to be very happy here which is important for him personally.

Haha same to u mate have a good un

previous post: Newcastle 0 Manchester United 3 – Video Highlights