Ben Arfa – I Thrive On Newcastle’s Passion For Football

After Newcastle were well beaten yesterday by Manchester United, who have won the Premier League 12 times and been runners-up 5 times and been 3rd three times in its 20 year history, it’s good to hear one of our best players – Hatem Ben Arfa – say he just loves life on Tyneside.

Ben Arfa – thriving at Newcastle

Newcastle’s season so far in the Premier League has not gone too well, and we have Sunderland away in our next game in 13 days time after the International break, and we need to get a good result there, to start to turn our season around.

The good news is we should have all four missing players Tim Krul, Fab Coloccini, Steven Taylor and Danny Simpson, all back and available for that game.

But Ben Arfa says he loves it at Newcastle,  and thrives on the passion that is football on Tyneside:

“I had a reputation for being hot-headed, but I feel as though I’ve grown up. I’m calmer now, more serene, but that comes from being more mature. “Young footballers are selfish. I was selfish. It was all about me and what I did. When you are young you think about showing off, you always want to prove yourself, to be the centre of attention.”

“You want people to say you are the best, but as you get older you realise it’s a team game and to bring out the best in yourself, you have to put yourself at the service of the team.” “I’m arriving at my peak, I’m starting to realize my full potential. I don’t think I’m quite there yet, but I’m pleased with how things are going. I’m a better player now than when I signed for Newcastle.”

“I’m more mature as a person and more mature as a footballer. The two go hand in hand, the basis of the player is the person. I’ve grown up.
“Playing in England, I’ve learnt you have to work hard all the time. When I came here, if I lost the ball, I didn’t try to win it back, now I always try to get it back.”

“You always have to give 100 per cent. Every game is tough, whether you are playing the best team or the worst, that is English football’s charm.
“The supporters have helped me a lot, not just in helping me get back from my injury, but also when things have not gone so well for me on the pitch.
“We feed off each other.”

“It gives me that little bit extra at Newcastle I’ve not had at other clubs. They encourage me to take risks, to try and make things happen. When things go wrong, they just want me to keep going, to keep trying. I feel really loved.” “It is the ideal marriage for me. I love the passion of the game here, it is incredible.”

“I thrive on that. It gives me a lot of pleasure to play football in this country.

“I’ve not had a close relationship with a manager before. Alan knows when I need to be praised and when I need to be criticized.” “He asks me questions. He doesn’t let me do what I want, but he doesn’t just tell me what to do either.

“It’s the best relationship I’ve had with a manager and he has been very important to me at Newcastle. He is the coach who has understood me the most.”

We agree with Ben Arfa that he is a better player than when he arrived over two years ago from Marseilles, and we also think that Alan Pardew has handled the lad brilliantly, and has been able to get the best out of him in a Newcastle shirt.

Now if only Mike Ashley will sanction bringing in three top players through the door in January, we’ll be going somewhere. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

one of the richest teams in the whole world and wonga is the best they can do???

maybe its just some of ashleys pals, i dont know, but its not the best choice,,,

can anyone of the pro ashley pardew camp answer this

is an 8 year deal really stability?? he can get fired tomorrow, he can leave tomorrow,? how is that stability ???

stability to me is knowing what your supposed to be doing and doing it well, everybody comfertable in there abilities and what they have to do,,,

well sorry, our club is far from stable on the playing side of things, none of our players seem to know where there ment to be,
    stability is playing your best players in there best positions and give them the confidence to say you can beat him (the player in front of him)

our players play in so many different positions now they seem lost out there,

my point, jonas, is he a right back left back DMC AMC left winger
    is fergy a left winger or left back?
    anita, right back or DMC
    obertan left wing right wing forward
    santon left back or right back
    BA forward or left winger
    cabaye DMC or AMC
    HBA right or left or attacking MF
    perch CB RB DMC

you can not tell me this is stability, during any match these changes happen regular,,

we defend against teams like reading at home ??? why

last season, jonas started left wing and protected raylor, yesterday he let evens go for his goal and offerd no protection for fergy, then fergy got subed and jonas went to left back where he looked much better,, why not start with him there first, and fergy LW, feed him the ball and say cross the ball as much as you can,, we where expecting ferg to run from left back to cross ,,,

for me pardew needs to look in the morror, stop picking his friends and trying to fit them in a team, even when we beat man u last year.. it wasnt good football. it was long ball football,

we just dont play what i call football

• Jonny

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

On yesterdays game, Man United would have steamrolled most if not all premier league teams with that performance. We ALWAYS get our tactics wrong in the first half! 2 centre mids against there 4 in the middle of the park was NEVER going to work. It takes Pardrew 45 minutes to realise then we change it and he is a tactical genius?

• Tsunki

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

If you would like to see my tedious wonga rant, rewind.

Give HBA someone to liink up with. If he’s playing on the right, santon might just work it. People said I don’t think Santon was any good on right, I actually said effective, by that I mean not supported properly yesterday. Obertan might have been an option ahead of him I dunno. He played well, but didn’t get as much pf the play as he should have if supported properly by our dragged-back midfield. There, done.

• Tsunki

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Hmm wonder what that chicken parmesan sandwich is like……

• JAMSHA

————-tiote———–
    Obertan cabaye jonas/fergie
    ————–HBA———
    ————ba/cisse——-

• Rake

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I would really like to see our team create more than 5 chances in a game….

• WWYCD

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Seems a very happy boy atm, even if he never smiles, which is great and he offers up some very nice words for us fans to read.

Eaststand
    Now we were talking very nicely earlier this morning but Obertan in ur starting 11? Tut tut sir haha

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

WW…
    Whatever made you think I have slipped into my age old hatred if our portly owner.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Wwycd

I know im sorry haha think he deserves a chance after his recent performances and if we play santon behind him could be a good partnership so could jonas behind fergie must be worth a shot! Remember obertan was part of the unbeaten side last year i know he wasnt great but he is improving hes getting more balls in the box now not good balls but its what we have wanted from him he can only get better with games.

Off to take my meds now 🙂

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ben Arfa and Santon are our best players so far this season. Williamson, Simpson and Gosling are our worst (as expected).

• WWYCD

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

JfA
    I dunno lad just a little feeling in my stomach haha. I do hope ur not in the crowd slating the fat get for laughing yesterday though that seems a little over the top even for me

• catchy in norway

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Jail for Ashley

i never stopped hating him / them,,

i feel sorry for car, brings great players to our club only for them to ruin them,

i dont think for one minut ppl did not enquire about cabaye tiote colo and a few others, but the price would have been sky high

• WWYCD

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Eaststand
    Haha though I agree his recent performances have been far better than his past ones I just don’t think he is PL quality atm cup games for him imo.

• Rake

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

What ever you say about Obertan he’s speed moves us up the pitch.

• ballerfan2

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

It seems so black and white – we lost 0-3 so we were rubbish. Well that’s not the game I watched. For the first 20 minutes Man U were at their best and we were at our worst, no defensive or midfield cohesion against a seriously pumped up Salford team who can destroy any team in the world if they are seriously in the mood. 2 very poor goals and we were chasing the game (at that point the COMPLETE reorganistion of our defence ie 2 reserve C defenders and a reserve LB while switching Santon to RB for a rare appearance in that position – yikes!) was a risk that looked to be a spectacular failure, after all, those 2 goals undoubtedly came from the lack of understanding. However from that point Pardew changed things and we matched them. Maybe they took their foot off the gas but at times they also looked rattled on occasions. Yes, they still looked dangerous but until the lucky 3rd goal when we visibly gave up both teams were pretty well matched. And who’s to say that had the Cisse non goal been given that that impetus wouldn’t have changed the game in our favour with the crowd behind us and a doubt in the mind of the opposing players. Incidentally, to those who continually leave Jonas off their team sheets, thank goodness Pardew appreciates what he gives the team. His skill and remarkable engine yesterday were as good as anything on the pitch and our MOM by some distance. I was as angry as most in the first 20 yesterday but really encouraged by what followed. Don’t let the 0-3 disguise the fact that the damage was done in the 15 minutes before we turned up. Have faith.