The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Interested In Signing Austrian Defender In January

9:56 pm, Monday, October 8th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 136 Comments

Newcastle are being reported to be interested in Austrian defender Aleksandar Dragovic, who plays for Basel, and the 21 year-old would cost about £5M, but that’s an amount Newcastle may be willing to pay in January.

Aleksandar Dragovic – Newcastle target?

The young defender fits exactly into the type of player Newcastle are after – a young player who could improve big time once he gets to Tyneside.

Other clubs also interested in the youngster seem to be Fiorentina and Stuggart, and Dragovic was born in Vienna to ethnic Serbian parents, but he was never called up by Serbia and has played for Austria , and he has 14 caps at the International level.

With playing in the Swiss League it’s always hard to judge just how he would fare in the Premier League, which is the best football league in the world at the moment.

We assume that Graham Carr has watched this player, and if it’s his recommendation that Newcastle sign the 21 year-old, then that would be fine with us.

Newcastle must strengthen their squad in January and next summer if we are to continue our upward spiral after finishing 5th last season in the Premier League, and that’s now looking difficult to repeat this season, when we’ve had a number of our top players out injured.

We need some new players signed in January.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

136 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I’m glad Douglas isn’t still our only choice in the 5M range.Hopefully Carr is scouting for some wingers to challenge Guti as well.

• 2 hebmag // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

For me guti becomes left back or left out.

• 3 Grafton83 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I’ve never seen or heard of this lad before but I’m 100% certain he’s better than Willo. Sorry Willo!

• 4 Carryingcoals // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Jonas has a huge role at this football club. He’s a great asset to have and a player I really like.

As a winger however we all know what he’s been like.

Could switch to fullback as Solano did, plus he has the experience from the Argentina camp.

We need the centre back desperately. I think we’ll see someone come in for under £5 million in January and that will be it.

• 5 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Beefman

Looks like a Wonga debt collector… just right for our new image don’t ye reckon ?

• 6 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Norcal

Hopefully Fergie will come through pretty quick..

• 7 AMEOBI // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I had him on fifa 12 lol but he’s young and brilliant in the air.
    I’d be over the moon with some young players to be added to our squad, along with a top CB.
    Long way to go untill January though

• 8 jeff // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM

SIGN HIM UP LOOKS CLASS

• 9 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

WE SHOULD NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WONGA!!!!

never mind money into the club! what about all the people already in financial difficulty that this ‘company’ make a profit from!!!???

THEY ARE A DISGRACE AND WILL SHAME OUR CLUB

• 10 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Jonas is an incredibly important and useful player, winger, central midfield role, fullback all played consistently well, super character,vastly experienced, plays to instruction and works his socks off for the team all day long. He’s the least of our problems.

• 11 Marty-Toon // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

This post should say
    Newcastle interested in any defender that can defend in January
    Just how someone at the height 6ft4 can’t command his area from dead balls is beyond me.
    Although on his day Willo can be solid,just not often enough.
    Gives us nothing in the oppositions box apart from frees against

• 12 Marty-Toon // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oh ok,rant over

• 13 Marty-Toon // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Jonas is certainly not our problem at the moment.
    He works like a horse and passes the ball well in the middle of the park but gives us very little on the wing and his final ball is cut out all the time

• 14 Graeme // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Ed, if we are on an upward spiral, after finishing 5th last season, it would indicate we aim to finish 4th, or better this season!! Its not going to happen.

Our performances, so far, would suggest 8th – 10th, with luck. Although, to be fair, it could be turned round with a couple or three shrewd buys. If we do get them then 5th – 7th becomes feasible I guess.

You just never know with our Illustrious Owner, just what he is thinking, what his expectations may be!!! Oh, the joys of supporting the enigma that is NUFC lol

• 15 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Rubbishing Willo or Perch is massively unfair, they aren’t up to it against a world class attack, but they give it one hundred percent. Neither is Colo or Tayls, but how is that their fault.

• 16 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Magpies maybe i am sticking up for them a bit but they offer a service which thousands use safely and is a great help to them, you did not get a second chance when the banks ballsed up many folks money was just quite simply lost.

Those banks are such caring people just as the energy companys are, some of the biggest bastards in history.

i would rather have wonga on my shirt then scottish power!

• 17 Grafton83 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

“This post should say
    Newcastle interested in any defender that can defend”

Made me laugh

Don’t see why Jonas has received criticism, he’s doing just fine as far as I can tell. We’re lucky he is so versatile. Not too made players could adapt to new positions like he has.

• 18 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

We will agree to disagree on this subject magpies. no sweat.

• 19 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

they are not safe to use. wonga are actually one of the very worst lenders on the market. ask around

• 20 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I can’t believe how Williamson and Simpson made professional Footballers.

We should’ve made a bid for Vertonghen. His attacking play is so exciting. He is also one of the best defenders around at the moment.

• 21 89Norcal // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

@MagpiesFlyHigh, I have no doubt he will. Fergie has great crossing technique, though I’d prefer we ease him in.

• 22 Grafton83 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Rubbishing Willo is not massively unfair. Its frustrating for me to see him balls things up all the time. Our team would be so strong if we had a decent defence. He is employed as a defender, its his job so if he doesn’t do it properly the criticism is fair.

Perhaps I should also direct my criticism at the owners for not buying better cover as well. Either way its painful to see so a little annoyance is justified.

• 23 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Rubbishing the owners is fair.

• 24 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Beefman nobody lost money on Northern Rock the Govt bailed them out. Tho TBF the whole lot of us are paying the price for that. How you can argue that its OK to takr money from loansharks is beyond me. Utter parasites.
    And before you start bangin on about how Ashley saved the club, I already get that. I understand Sheperd and Halls used Newcastle as a cash cow. This Wonga deal is a step too far. You say there is no place for ethics in business. Thats exactly how our economy got screwed in the first place, take the money and screw the consequences.

• 25 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Jonas must have been given a licence just to go were he pleased until he got shifted to left back, put a shift in as usual as we all know he will, but does he give us anything going forward now.

as has been said maybe left back and fergie in front of him is the way forward i would be ok with that i would still try and fit anita in to our team, he will only get better in my opinion the more playing time he gets.

MACKEMS GAME.

Hopefully, krul santon jonas colo saylor tiote cabaye anita fergie ben arfa cisse or ba we may have to sacrifice one of them at the start?

Plenty of options in that team for goals and good defensive qualities also, fresh legs on later ie shola for 20/25 mins to give it to them full throttle.

• 26 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

and northern rock dug themselves out of crap in a fraction of the time. not like the other banks….. but being a northern business it got negative headlines as per

• 27 Carryingcoals // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

kets

I wholeheartedly agree about Vertonghen, I’ve been so impressed by him this season.

• 28 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Spot on there. Footballers are overpaid. There’s people around that didn’t make professionals that are better than some pro’s on big wages. Willo seems a great person, but he just isn’t good enough to play for NUFC. His mistakes cost us Champions League football last season and that’s led to us only signing 1 first team player in the summer.

I’ve always said that we’d struggle if we didn’t strengthen. Teams below us (i.e. Fulham, Liverpool, Everton) have all strengthen and will overtake us in the league this season.

• 29 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

TEQUILLA, this deal costs us nowt its sponsorship, just as well the gov bailed NR out then isnt it, what if they had not? and before i bang on about MA bailing the toon out you say, just as well eh!

Take a loan out read the terms pay it back, IF YOU WANT TO YOU DO, IF NOT YOU DONT. if you dont pay back on time you get your arse smacked its up to the individual the way to go.

• 30 mattyNUFC // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

hebmag

love that, and i agree. guti is LB or left out :D

• 31 Graeme // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Beefman Would you really let Tiote loose at the dark place? He has been lucky to stay on the pitch in his last 3 games – he could be a huge liability at the unwashed!!

They will target him, he will react, we are down to 10 men. I just dont think its a game for Tiote to even get ON the bus. It needs cool heads and calm thinking – that hardly describes Mr T at the moment!!!

• 32 mattyNUFC // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM

and Kets

seeing him now, i don’t think there’s a CB that would’ve been worth going for other than him or possibly Mbiwa. Verthogen’s reading of the game is incredible, and he seems like a good guy too

• 33 toonLYF // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM

reminds me of Ivan Drago from the Rocky film.

Really think we’re going to turn on the style against the mackems. The game on Sunday will have hurt our players, so that coupled with the fact the majority know what this derby means, could be a huge performance.

• 34 mattyNUFC // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM

toonLYF

i hope you’re right

• 35 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

So tequilla you would be happy with scottish power across your toon top would you, the energy companies are the biggest parasites there is.

sometimes in life you cant get what you want, i get the feeling at the toon most would not be happy with whoever sponsored us!

which big corporation of angels would you like to sponsor us then tequilla.

I tell you what any big corporations are all ruthless bastards when profit is concerned.

What about lovely mr dyson the man who made hundreds unemployed when he set up his whole business in asia.

There all ruthless buggers lets not kid ourselves.

• 36 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Beefman I am not in the camp that thinks Ashley is the devil incarnate, he has done some good things, got us running in the black, interest free loans which save us a bomb, unlike the leveraged buyouts at Man and Liverpool. That does not excuse taking money from people whos whole business model is to exploit people who are denied credit at reasonable rates. By doing this it drags our name through the mud.

• 37 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Vertonghen was my first choice defensive signing and was gutted that we didn’t sign him. I have been right in nearly everything that I have said so far.

I can’t see us beating Sunderland. Steven Fletcher will score. I suggested that we should’ve signed him. That’s another good recommendation that I made.

• 38 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Big business is there to make a profit and I get that none of them really give a toss about there customers but to equate an energy company with loansharks is a ridiculous argument. When was the last time an energy company upped the bill because you paid late ?

• 39 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Greame, tiote when fit is straight in my team no problem, yes he is a hot head but he plays the same way if we were playing east striling in a pre season friendly, just the way the fella is. he gets in my team every time.

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM

ToonLYF
    Lets hope we get him then and we can all look forward to the interview after derby day nxt season
    “dragovic you appeared to dropkick cattermole in the neck he’s been rushed to hospital”
    “if he lives he lives if he dies he dies”

• 41 Tsunki // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

The unstoppable Kets-o-Tron rumbles on, crushing any logic in its path –

I can’t believe how Williamson and Simpson made professional Footballers.

I dont think they would make them together…oh I see what you mean! So they are not even (insert lower league name) quality any more. Did Simmo cost us a game recently? I agree he was like a man off against Man U….oh…wait…

Wonga – freedom of choice or desperate haven for those on hard times? I think that credit card companies have been responsible for trapping many people in debt with deceptive strategies and persuasive marketing. I have not paid interest on a credit card for many years because I work the greedy swines at their own game. But they are quite willing to lend me more than I can pay back and will keep me thereabouts for as long as possible. Wonga is the same, their model really works when they trap someone in a debt cycle. The difference with Wonga is that it really is legitimised usury, and unfortunately its coming under increased scrutiny, not least for its tactics (look up the student loan fiasco). Does NUFC need the adverse publicity if the OFT decide its gonna have both barrels? I persoally find it to be an ethical no-way, but thats me.

• 42 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

tequilla ,the energy companys up your bill when you pay on time for no reason virtually every year and that is when they have made massive profits as well. complete twats.

• 43 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

wonga man ffa howers. its shambolic. all corporations are profit based yes, but few solely target the financially vulnerable. and then when such vulnerable people inevitably miss a payment their lives are turned upside down. banks can be the same yes, but lloyds tsb gave me 25nicker yday for an inconvenience. plus, you try gettin a hold of an actual person on the phone at wonga if your in difficulty! at least with a bank you get to speak to people!

• 44 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Beefman
    No matter how you look at it no other loan companies take money out of accounts of people who havent taken out loans with them wonga have been caught doing this wonga arent a corporation there eastend thugs with an office

• 45 Graeme // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Beefman, I really cant fault your argument, or Tiote. He is what he is – plays 110% or not at all, will die for the cause. As long as he takes 3 scum with him, wheres the problem lol

• 46 Tsunki // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Ketsy predicts yet another loss. Surprise? Goodnight.

• 47 Carryingcoals // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

kets

I understand your general frustration when champions league was within our grasp. I’d have loved us to sign more players in the summer and give us a better shot this season. It’s how to progress isn’t it?

We didn’t. However I feel you fail to appreciate how far we’ve come and how much of a stable position we are in as a club.

A lot of planning goes in to the transfers and you have to accept a bit of realism.

What is the goal for Newcastle United? It’s ultimately to win trophies and be successful. Mike Ashley saved this club. Literally saved it.

You have to get past us missing out on players in the summer, we are being run in a certain way and that’s how it is.

Willo is decent, you always exaggerate how bad he is. He reminds me of a centre half playing for a newly promoted team in the Premiership. He’s a squad player. I too want a better centre half and want him replaced.

Get realistic and be a bit more open minded.

We should be happy where we are as a club currently, our achievement last season was massive. I don’t think we’ll repeat is this season but we are building for a healthy future nonetheless.

…But if we do bring in Falcao for 40 mil and miss out on a centre half will you still eb complaining? ;)

• 48 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

and n power have been very fair with me, ive missed many a month’s payment to no inconvenience. even now, I owe then a few quid and im not stressed by them. however, if you miss a wonga payment thats all youl be able to think about. its bloody horrific. I know that market quite well and they have a horrendous reputation. it would be bad news for us trust me

• 49 pbNcl // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM

and on that note I bid you all goodnight

oh aye, whey aye let tiote on the mackems…… there will be tears and they wont be black and white

love peace and unity

• 50 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Beefman , clearly at some point in your life you have been left emotionally scarred by an energy company. We all know they are looking to make as much money as they can, but they do actually provide something tangible. energy to heat your house springs to mind. Wonga provide a short term fix to desperate people at a ridiculous cost which ultimately makes their situation worse.

• 51 Graeme // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Carrying – you were doing great until Falcao for £40 million – we just KNOW its not going to happen lol. Hell, would be nice though.

Who goes? Ba, Bambi, Cisse?? lol

• 52 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Tsunki ,the banks went under beacuse they loaned more than they had they were all greedy beyond belief.

i am not fussed who sponsors us there all as bad as each other as i have said most of these big companys, as usual it will only be our own fans getting our backs up about a decision made by the club.

are you saying it will give us a bad name beacuse we are associated with them, i really did not give it a seecond thought when i saw it on blackpools top.

Watch our club ,support our club, let the people who run it, run it. all the big credit companys who sponsor other clubs are the same all in it for their own means.

I appreciate your reply and you are a decent poster but i dont give a monkeys were we get our sponsorship from.

• 53 Highlander // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I signed Dragovic for Newcastle on FIFA ’13 for iphone. I also signed Dede. Those 2 would do us just nicely! :D

• 54 toonLYF // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM

toonarmydownsouth

haha, before kick off when shaking hands he can pull out the famous “you will lose” and especially for Cattermole “I must break you”

• 55 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Beefman I think you are so used to defending Ashley from knuckle draggers who dont have a clue about the state the club was in before Ashley took over that you have adopted an over defensive position on any criticism made against his decisions.
    Either that or you truly dont give a crap about the social consequences of doing business with people like Wonga. If it`s the latter then I have a lost a lot of respect for you as generally I think your post are pretty good.

• 56 mattyNUFC // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM

highlander

i signed guidetti, debuchy (waste of money, both in the game and probably reality) and mbiwa

tried to keep em as realistic as possible :)

• 57 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

TEQUILLA, you are so right, i have had quiteafew run ins with energy companys, in fact british gas right at this moment, they are pulling a stroke over their new smart meters you would not believe, making them fortunes through false readings they give out,

As for Wonga i get a loan i pay it back bit extra for them at the end of the month in interest, im happy with that if it pulls me out of a hole just dont be klate with your payment thats up to the individual.

Energy companys increase bills weather you like it or not, they know folk need it and pray on that even worse than banks and credit companys for me, at least i have a choice to make with the banks and credit companys ie dont take a loan dont get in to debt, the energy companys dont give you that choice, you just have to give them the extra and cant to nowt about it. my advice neither a lender or borrowere be. if they are giving you money for nowt snatch their greedy hands off.

• 58 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Is this strictly football talk boys? Don’t give me this “they may be our news sponsors malarkey” – This is a football blog :)

Okay then, Wonga. I don’t know too much about them and their practices, but it is safe to assume they don’t give a sh*t about the people. Beefman has made a valid point, if the short fix loan is paid back on time, the service works quite well (I assume). You know when and how much to pay back, it is down to the person. However, a lot of people are in a bad way and as has been pointed out, are desperate. Companies like Wonga make it all seem to simple and people fall for it, when they should probably know the issues they will face (i.e. I can’t pay that back by then).

Someone else made a point earlier: “That does not excuse taking money from people whos whole business model is to exploit people who are denied credit at reasonable rates.”

Nail on the head. A lot of these people cannot get loans from the good guys (normal banks ;) ) – who should be dealing with this?

Imo it’s the government who should be dealing with these issues. People need to be educated on how to deal with their finances and we need to get rid of this living in debt society, at least reduce the current level – no way it is sustainable. The whole thing is b*ll*cks.

Anyway, to tie this back in to football matter….*pauses and thinks long and hard*……I don’t think some of what has been said about Wonga is completely fair, I’m sure I can find people to complain and b*tch about every company on the planet at the end of the day, they don’t make anyone loan money of them (although they do target the weak). I do however feel we should be able to get something a little bit more respectable, but what offers are on the table? I would like to think if there was an offer from a “better” company somewhat close in value to wongas proposal, we’d go with it, but I have my doubts as to what Ashley would deem as close…

On thread….I too had in my Fifa 12 team, sign the lad up ;)

I’ll no doubt be back on the morning, so please feel free to tell me how I’ve got it all wrong. Until then…

…Night night.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Beefman,
    I think its a little unfair that you have a right go at me with some pretty offensive names because I like a moan about Mashley yet you seem to to harp on about how great he is in almost everypost you leave.

• 60 Carryingcoals // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Graeme

I was being sarcastic about the Falcao for 40 mil, its been a bit of a running joke.

• 61 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Ibiza , fence sittin T#ss#r

• 62 Carryingcoals // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM

ibiza

THAT’S NEVER YOU TAKEN THE DREADED PATH ALONG THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD NOW IS IT?!

;)

• 63 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Is it a bird is it a plane nope my bad its ibiza climbing up to sit on the fence! Boo hiss

• 64 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Good old ibiza as tactful as ever, i do understand all points off view on the matter.

Its just i dont care who pays us the wonga i just dont if its the best deal for NUFC we are always on tv always in the headlines, pity more did not realise this, proper little goldmine sponsoring us i reckon. plenty of wonga for the right ones!

• 65 tequilamag // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM

lol yeah Ibiza mind you don`t get a splinter in your arse on that fence.

• 66 AMEOBI // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I’d love Newcastles ground tune to be the one Wonga has, its so catchy!
    Maybe have it for a goal scoring tune :D

• 67 lukes26 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Although no sensible person would care, I would just like everyone to know that I had both Santon and Dragovic as my starting Fullbacks in PES 2010.

• 68 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Tequila…I am off to bed, but would you mind popping around and giving me a hand….I can’t reach the splinter. Teach for me getting carried away and wiggling like I was on a bucking bronco ;)

So, from bullying optimist to fence sitting w*nk*r. Right neggers, where do I sign up, I’m joining your party next.

Sweet wongas everybody

• 69 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I would rather be sponsored by al qaeda than Wonga. thousand percent intrest rates should be illegal , then again some people are either stupid or gullible enough to actually use the service. Its the classic case of Ashley doing a good thing (giving Pardew an 8 year deal) and then sucker punching us with this Wonga sponsorship. Don’t you just love being an NUFC supporter :). If any club deserved a t.c. show its us not Liverfool, not that I would want one like, watching Brendan Rogers speeches is pure cheese on toast and cringe worthy ;) .

• 70 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Jail, maybe i defend MA quite a bit but he saved our club and i firmly believe that, a few mistakes along the way that could not have been rectified if the other party had given a second chance etc i firmly believe and always will things could have been sorted years ago if there had of been a bit more give and take.

I would tell him i dont like the ground renaming, i dont think he does it has been mentioned by the chairman that but he will do what he thinks can take the club forward in his opinion.

he makes unpopular decisions some times but he has the balls to do it and for that he gets my vote, not to get at fans but to do what is right for his investment.

We are a business, Jail ,he has pit hundreds of millions of pounds in to NUFC am i thankful ,you bet i am do i get my back up when fans call him a tightarse you bet i do, we are a top club again in every way and i am very grateful for that.

Do i want a centre half in january to right, will we get one in my opinion yes and a good one as well. JUST AS WE DID WITH THE STRIKER LAST SEASON.

• 71 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM

t.v. rather :)

• 72 beefman13 // Oct 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

big pappa, exactly a load of shite!

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Beefman,
    My opinion changed a lot after we bought Cissse last season and even more so when Virgin became sponsor as I was convinced that SD was nailed on to be announced in another international break but I feel let down yet again with what I see as tightwaddery with a 3.5M spend especially if its because we’ll get Douglas for 2M or whatever cheaper in Jan,and as much as people on your side of the fence don’t like my slagging Mashley off it makes me sick when I hear people saying he saved the club,he didn’t save us he bought us,I really don’t know if John Hall would have seen us go into administration that we’ll never find out,but Ashley bought us to advertise SD and not to be the kindly benefactor that some make out.

• 74 MacToon // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Some people are so vocal voicing their own opinions but have little patience when others voice thiers.

• 75 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Heres a question, if a wonga representitive offered to give you 10k for nothing as part of a promotion for being its 1 millionth recipient of an email from the company would you take it or not take it, i know how consiensous us geordies, are!?!? you would snap their bloody hands off, anyone who says no on morals ground, is just not telling the truth. you know you would take it. money talks ,simple as.

• 76 RonVanDam // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Our u21 beat Aston Villa 2-1. Xisco played 33 mins. Did anyone watch the game?

• 77 nick_9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Mactoon well said.

Wonga in my opinion are one of the many things wrong with world. Point taken that its all down to your choice as to taking out a loan but i feel that they prey on the desperate. They will give next to anyone a loan and i wonder how many people have had difficult circumstances arise whilst paying off the loan and being stuck paying wonga and other companies alike since. I really dislike these types of companies but if they are offering us good money for a sponsorship deal then i am glad it is ashley making the decision and not me. I dont really want to promote Wonga which is a shame that i will find it slightly off putting when looking at club merchandise. I was never one to boycott club merchandise as it his the club in the pocket and not the man himself, revenue we raise could go towards signings. I wonder how many fans went to sports direct though and bought there home shirt for £13 cheaper….

• 78 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM

If Willo played in a pub match, he wouldn’t stand out as one of the better players.

• 79 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:18 AM

@ Beefman

That makes no sense. Wonga aren’t giving us money for nothing in return. Their company name and logo will be on the front of our strips for TV cameras to beam all over the world and give the company global recognition. Its not the name I have a problem with its the immoral and preying on the weak legal loan shark business.

• 80 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:18 AM

mactoon, meaning me i take it, well i have been listening to fans moaning for over 3 years now when in truth there is nothing to moan about it gets on my tits big time.

i listen and take in many decent posts about the team and how we are playing and agree with quite a lot but im not having negativity for the sake of it ie this new sponsor thing that has came up.

we are getting paid for sponsoring the club, getting money in to improve the club why would i be bothered who its from, i dont care im not known as mr morals i have no great hatred of them, i dont deal with them, if you want to or not its your choice just as everything else in your life as long as it helps the club go forward. which it will i dont give a shit were the money comes from.

• 81 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

BIG Pappa as i have mentioned many other big companys have Missed a trick with us we are always in the headlines we are always on tv in the news THE TOON ARE BIG BUSINESS, NOW IF WONGA OFFER THE OWNER THE BEST DEAL HE WILL TAKE IT, THEY GET ALL THE BRILLIANT EXPOSURE FROM THE TOON, SO FAIR PLAY IF THEY RECOGNIZE THAT AND OTHERS DONT.

• 82 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Beefman…still spouting the same old garbage about Ashley ‘saving the club’ without a shred of evidence…plenty to show he’s re-invented it as a shop window advertising hoarding though!
    A lot of money has come into the club, yet the loans debt hasn’t reduced proportionately.

• 83 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Beefman,
    Moral issues aside would you be happy working along side a mackem or smoggie or any football fan while the club played at the wonga arena or whatever.

• 84 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Nick, not everyone is desperate on their knees cos they have to go to wonga for a loan, you make it sound like victorian england, many many normal working people get loans to tie them over until payday and are very thankful for it, they are the vast majority who deal with companys like wonga, you paint them to be the devil incarnate, they offer a service which many are grateful for.

I find these false morals what i am hearing totally bullshit.

• 85 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Jail, it has been stated tonight on tv that there is no posssibility of the ground being named the wonga arena, the sponsorship is about the shirts apparently.

• 86 MacToon // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM

beefman, it happens daily and many are guilty of doing it, just gets a little tiresome reading the same thing over or the same thing said in a different way etc.

Personally I see flaws in alot of your arguements like Scottish power, if you are not happy you can go elsewhere and it sounds like you have already done that.

As for Ashley saving the club, that’s a very debatable issue and to think he’s “invested” so much of his own money into the club, well maybe he has initially but I bet you he’ll get every penny back with interest ;-) one day.
    A little over 5 years ago there was alot of talk of increasing the ground’s capacity, there’s certainly no talk of it today and why should there be as we’ve struggled to get full capacity over recent seasons as it is.

£13 cheaper shirts in his other business tat shop is ripping our club off and all the free advertising in and around the ground is doing the same. no wonder we can’t afford a new player or two ;-)

We’ve had some highs and some lows, I wonder which way we’re headed at this moment in time.

• 87 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Solano, i have seen the audits over the last 4/5 seasons, that is more evidence than i need bonny lad, so i take it you still think we are struggling as a team and as a club, you must be insane if you think we are not doing really well.

what part of our current position we are in brings you to the conclusion that we are not doing great on and of the pitch.

funny how everyone outside the toon can see it.

• 88 nick_9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM

beefman applying for a loan with 2000% apr seems pretty desperate to me, regardless of how long the duration is. I would not want to be associated with a loan of that type personally. I do know someone who has used them and he was desperate so maybe that is where my perception comes from

• 89 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Moral issues aside I suppoese I could put up with the shirt sponsor but that would be too much if the stadium was named,I hope ur right.

• 90 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You only have to look at the Sports Direct signs plastered all over St. James’s to know Ashley has no class. As if anyone who follows football in the country doesn’t know it was renamed the Sports Direct Arena FFS. As for us signing a new player on the back of this sponsorship, how much of the Andy Carrroll money did we spend ? . Mike Ashley is the king of misdirection IMO

• 91 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Beefman,
    Have you posted under a different name your tone is sounding very familiar.

• 92 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Mactoon bet your bottom dollar he will get every penny back your to right there, he gets it back when he flogs it, we are a business are we getting that, and he will run it efficiently as he can i dont think by the players we have now we are doing to badly, we will invest again in january imo, tiote santon saylor colo jonas ba cisse marveaux ben arfa elliot harper amalifatano anita fergie krul adam campbell willo raylor simpson, players more than a match for any team ask alex ferguson what he thinks of us now even after beating us 3-0 he was well worried i can tell you and had to change tactics drastically to prove that, we are a threat to any team.

most of those players bought over the previous three seasons, how can fans say we have not got ambition to go forward those have took us forward we are a genuine top 6 club recognised that way as well and will be right on the money around there come may at least.

• 93 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Beef…your post at 85 is indeed correct…though statements on tv should be treated with the same circumspection as newspaper articles designed to increase circulation.
    For the record, I don’t think the ground will change name… for it is just too valuable to Ashley and the SD empire as a promotional vehicle…which brings us back to the initial arguments that the Namechange Apologists made last year – ie: if it attracts new sponsors with new money, then great! The fact is in nearly a year it HAS NOT…and NUFC has benefitted ZERO from ridding ourselves of the name SJP.
    Moreover, the moral/ethical arguments surrounding Wonga and for that matter, any other ‘dodgy’ company who could be potential stadium sponsors show that Ashley, still stands accused of being totally ignorant about his duty of care to the fans, the city of Newcatle and the history and traditons of the club.
    Why, when we have one of the richest men in the country running our club, we have to sell our soul in order to garner a small transfer budget is beyond me! I’m not asking him to spend his vast fortune btw…just release some of the transfer trading profits and invest wisely on the playing side. That way, the clubs fans will come back on side and turnover will once again increase to make us more competitive, so we don’t have to listen to our management continually talking our chances down!

• 94 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Jail ,tell me who you think my other poster name is and i will tell you if you are right. i always say it like it is me .

• 95 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

@ Solano

Exactly and its funny how he can blow vasts amount of money in Casino’s but having to pay a million or two more fore a world class FB he pulls the plug. I think Ashley’s plan was to buy NUFC, advertise Sports Direct for all its worth, stabilize the finances, put together a top 10 team and then sell the club to the highest bidder. Now we are in Europe there is not much more advertising streams Ashley has for the Sports Direct brand. Champions League maybe but other than that I do not know

• 96 nick_9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Mike Ashley has gained a lot more than we think, I don’t really want to start slating the guy but he isn’t the hero some of yous make out. HE is making his own investment affordable and protecting it. Investing money in the club initially was his own fault for not doing due diligence. He made the debts interest free so the club wasn’t costing HIM more money each season in interest payments. Fortunately him making his investment more affordable has benefited us but I’m willing to bet the awareness raised for him and sports direct has lined his pockets. Anyone else notice SPORTSDIRECT.FR against Bordeaux last Thursday? I’m thankful for what the man has done but he is really is ruthless and has little morals if you ask me. Call me a sceptic but I’m unsure our plan can work without one big push at some point, last season we finished fifth but if we finish tenth this season I’m not sure how long the stars will want to stay. Seems like a revolving door if you ask me, a lot like arsenal. Lose quality players, sign/make some more, lose them and vice versa without really improving greatly. Of course I hope I’m wrong though

• 97 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Nick…I think most of us would take Arsenal as acceptable…we are in reality a million miles away from them in terms of turnover, players and ambition. Arsenal may well be unable to keep hold of their bestest but they have consistently played CL football and actually spent £44m on players in the summer!

• 98 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Solano, MA has vast amounts of money as we all know, wonga must have seen the potential with NUFC for them to offer us sponsorship and its a great deal for them, as ive said loads of big companys have missed a trick with us, we are a goldmine for publicity not ever being out of the news of the tv everything you could want to advertise your brand.

MA is running NUFC as a business from within itself, he is building that business from within itself, which means all funds generated go in to NUFC, not in to sports direct or his own bank account, SD do ok through the advertising around the ground.

i get the fact that he will do what he deems right for his investment, he dosnt go about it to hurt fans feelings it is purely decisions made to take the club forward in his opinion and he isnt to bad of a businessman is he.

He know doubt knows certain things he does may get fans backs up but he will do them weather we like it or not we have someone in charge love him or loathe him who has the bollocks to do that and if the club keep gpoing forward then my feeling come second(ie ground renaming) if you have the guts and balls to do that at the toon you have the guts for anything, and im glad we have an owener who will do whatever it takes if believes it to be right.

we all know he isnt the toon through and through,but his investment means everything and he wont let it go down the plughole he will build and build and by the time he comes to sell he will do that if the right offer comes in i know that.

He is a ruthless businessman no mistakes but he is our ruthless businessman and he will look after us until he goes and when he does we will be up there with the best of them i am convinced with that.

• 99 nick_9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Aye solano I’m not comparing our stature to arsenals but more the dealings or way we work. They ate a consistent champions league club whereas its hard to at what we are, on the up hopefully. Times are certainly better at the minute but we need to push on now before the gap is widened even more so. Last season we bridged the gap….. Did we do do enough to stay there….. Time will tell. Arsenal are a consistent top four side but haven’t win anything in seven years and realistically I’m unsure when they next will. A few more big names are likely to leave soon for the greener grass but I’m sure they will sign a few more good players…. I do wonder if they will ever make a very strong push though because I see them as a few top players off being title contenders. I see us a few top players off top four contenders.

• 100 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Beefman….business, business, business….if he had the TRUST of the fans it could possibly be acceptable but we don’t even have the faith to know that if someone comes in and pays for the name, it would be seen to be invested in what we are all really interested in as fans….football, football, football.
    1 year and counting for SJP…totally wrong that ‘business’ should take precedence over all things and everything.

• 101 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Beef@94…if you always “say it like it is”…why did you feel the need to change your pseudonym?

• 102 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

SOLANO , arsenal are our blueprint and the way to run a football club, they do get class players in they do sell them but get a good 4/5/6 years out of them in the vast majority of cases , and sell them on for much bigger money.
    playin the champs league every year best footie outside of barca.

m
    Maybe won nothing for a while but have still won everything bar champs league with this system and went a season unbeaten.

and while you say we area million miles away from them we were theoretically only one minute from being above them last season so maybe not as far as you may think, they have been doing this since wenger took ove we are only three years in to it and will imo get nearer and nearer every season.

Thats the way to do it get your top scouting network get good improving players to your club, get you 3/4/5/6 years out of them get the extra bit in and start again and you can maintain your place on the top table.

• 103 xmindcrimex // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Amen Beefman :)

• 104 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:26 AM

SOLANO, i have not got a different name on this blog, i am on another blog somewhere else with a different name but not on here. if Jail had of said i would have had to deny cos i have not got another name on here.

• 105 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:29 AM

beef….all clubs share certain similarities, but I don’t think there is one model/blueprint that fits all….it could be argued that despite NUFC’s debt, we were in far better position financially than the huge debt Arsenal undertook when moving from Highbury to the Emirates.
    It seems to me that some fans and even club officials, ‘cherrypick’ certain similarities of one club to suit their argument then chose to ignore the anomalies….

• 106 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Ok Beef…I understand, I was just a little unclear on what you meant @94.

• 107 beefman13 // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM

It may sound repetitive but its all about business now, even getting more that way for the likes of man city and chelsea

maybe the average fan dosnt want to here that all the time but our club is all about that, feelings and sensitivity are not involved with our owner.

enjoy our football look foward to the matches sing your heart out but let the people who do the business do the business.

and let us get on with watching the amazing toon at the cathederal!

good night and may your god go with you!

• 108 solano // Oct 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM

beef…there might be a nice guy under that hard business persona of yours ….maybe ;-)
    The average fan wants his club to be successful on the pitch…and at least be able to dream of glory…the reason, despite relative success last year, many NUFC fans feel worried, angry or let down is the constant talking down of the playing side of things in favour of commercial interests. There is a middle ground to be found between these seemingly divergent interests, but the owner of the club has failed to even consider that possibility…or so it seems by the cynical timings of bad pr decisions.

• 109 Honoured2BNUFC // Oct 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Kets just shut up I implore you. We get it you don’t like particular players. Build a bridge and get the hell over it. They wear our colours so deal with it fool.
    On another note I just came across awful news on Vuckic from the under 21 game against Villa. Probably out for months with serious knee injury. Poor lad no luck at all.

• 110 BandB // Oct 9, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I’m holding my counsel on this until bills_son has lectured us on how it’s excellent business and we are all a bunch of raggy-arsed ingrates.
    Ibizatoon, You do sometimes rather remind me of Gaddafi’s old press officer. Smiling, plausible, reasonable.
    I’m puzzled by where you go to on match-days. You usually emerge whistling from the bushes afterwards with that “hey lads, missed the stream, what’s been happening?” schtick. But I suspect you’ve been down the expat-pub with the rest of the Spurs fans.
    Beefman. I wouldn’t take the million. That’s the difference between us.

• 111 mattyNUFC // Oct 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM

hear hear ^^

• 112 mattyNUFC // Oct 9, 2012 at 2:56 AM

sorry, ibiza, i’ve got nothing against you, you’ve been on here a while and have shown a few different facades, but at least with the earlier ones you chose a side. too much fence-sitting and holier-than-thou archetypical jargon and not enough of real insight. how do you really feel about our situation currently? from the owner to the manager to the playing staff and how they’re managed….

• 113 Tsunki // Oct 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Oh Dear. Being reasonable and open to discussion is now officially a crime on nufcblog. Oh well.

• 114 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Tsunki – just noticed? :)

• 115 numba9 // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I don’t see us buying anybody to be fair the owner just isn’t interested on owt but treading water

• 116 hotdog // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Ibiza- you got to admit thats a good one from bandb “Gaddafi’s old press officer” haha

• 117 steveno7 // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Im sick of hearing on transfers”a player who could improve ”
    i want aplayer who is going to be ready now a player who is already proven .someone who will fit straight in not bloody two seasons .
    Im now very pissedoff.
    Do we want CL or just middle of the raod mediocracy .
    Askley needs to show intent but i fear he is jus happy to potter on t way we are.
    Plus if he doesnt ap will walkwit loads of compo.and back to square one we go .

• 118 gaz 44 // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Rome wasn’t built in a day

• 119 hotdog // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Gaz – we needed that quality centre back. Major f*ck up not getting one in. Old ground but can’t believe it didn’t happen it is costing us!

• 120 Rotonda heights // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I like Arsenal being our blueprint, but you need a world class manager like Wenger to implement it.

• 121 Colo-Sus // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Is anyone talkign about the Article……..Just saying

• 122 Ian Toon // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Any shirt sponsorship with Wonga will undoubtedly aid the desire for financial self sufficiency and long term stability. But at what cost?
    I don’t buy the Ian Lavery and Stella Creasy line because they have
    been the problem for the Region not the solution. However MA has a
    social responsibility. Ashley should not be providing a massive platform for loan sharking marketing.

• 123 jesperfuglsang // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Morning lads! :D

I can see we are being linked with Aleksandar Dragovic once again or is it just news recycling?

…I remember reading about about him in the summer; he attracted serious public criticism when he slapped the Swiss Bundesrat Ueli Maurer several times on his head during the celebrations subsequent to the Cup Final in Mai 2012. Hw was quoted saying:

” on the inside everybody knows, so I believe, that it was very, very much fun doing it”!

Do we need another potential idiot?

He is also rumored to be a drama queen, a diver and a “hollywood acter” (in the best Italien way of the word). Just come to think of it, I don’t really have anything nice to say about him so I better stop :D

Hello… “is Ibiza out there? I’m alone hanging by a thread…” Were you getting some stick last night mate? What did you do? ;) lol

• 124 jesperfuglsang // Oct 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Morning Ian :) how is life mate?

Colo-Sus…I just posted my thoughts :) if it is Aleksandar Dragovic you want to talk about?

• 125 Ian Toon // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Jesper- Just great currently on holiday. Left after Man U game. Aside from opening debacle thought we did Ok. Once top players back and
    4-3-3 beckons.
    See you in a while.

• 126 jesperfuglsang // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Ian…enjoy your holidays mate ;) See you when you’re back!

• 127 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

BandB and Matty….

Do you know what guys, you can think what you want of me, my posts and or commitment to the club, it does not bother me the slightest little bit.

I have toned down my stance of late, but I think 95% of the posters on here no my views and where I stand with Ashley and the club. However, it has come to light over the past couple of months that people felt that the optimistic posters had driven people off the blog with their sickening nonsense, so, trying to reasonable and find some middle ground in the hope that people might feel it possible to debate once again. I know, I know, what an

• 128 steveno7 // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Maybe but come on.
    We need Quality now not to mature some time dwn the road.
    I understand its a long process but come on .buy some quality for now

• 129 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

*ssh*le, I do apologise.

As for expat pub with Spurs fans. You do make me laugh.

Right then, onwards and upwards. Where’s my fence so I can wedge my cheeks on it.

• 130 tequilamag // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Good morning Ibiza. The fence sitting comment from me was meant to be a humourous reference to some of the stick that carrinying was getting which I am sure you got. Clearly though I have touched a nerve with some other people and surfaced some latent hostility.
    I did laugh at the Gaddafi press officer though.

• 131 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Tequila…Not you, I got those jokes. I didn’t take BandB and Matty as joking, hence why I responded to them ;) As if I could have an issue with a Tequila lover like yourself. Tequila is stronger than blood.

• 132 tequilamag // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Good man now get back on that fence you tossa

• 133 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Tequila….I may come across like i can take the abuse, but that cut me deep. Anyone recommend a good therapist? :(

• 134 Szarka // Oct 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

We couldnt sign Douglas, and he wasnt more expensive than this guy. I hope we get one of them, anyway buying a defender is a must.

• 135 Dougiestyle // Oct 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I don’t comment very often but I feel this would be an excellent signing; I’ve seen him play a few times for FC Basel and every time he has looked top class…great in the air and has the ability to play the ball from the back.

Apparently Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund scouted him last season.

He would work as a great back up for Coloccini or Taylor (he is much better than Williamson!) but he could also be signed as Coloccini’s long term replacement :)

• 136 MapleLeafToon // Oct 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

He has 14 Caps at international level and plays for FC Basel who are in the CL, 21 years old. Mr Carr rates him sounds good too me, sign him! Just might be Jack The Lad…

previous post: Xisco In From The Cold – £1.5M Per Appearance For Magpies