Wonga To Invest In Community And Newcastle Youth Academy

It seems to us that a lot of thinking went into the announcement of the Wonga sponsorship deal that was announced earlier today, and one of the surprises – a pleasant one – was that Wonga have bought the naming rights to the stadium and will rename it St. James’ Park – that sounds familiar.

What Demba Ba will look like in new Womba shirt
Assuming he’s still at Newcastle in August of course

A press conference was held to announce the deal, although no financial details were released – but it’s a double deal by Wonga for both the strips and the naming rights.

This is what Derek Llambias had to say about the deal:

“We are building a club that can regularly compete for top honours at the highest level.” “As everyone knows, a strong commercial program is vital to this goal and I am delighted to welcome Wonga into the fold as our lead commercial partner, alongside Puma and Sports Direct.”

“Throughout our discussions Wonga’s desire to help us invest in our young playing talent, the local community and new fan initiatives really impressed us and stood them apart from other candidates.”

Errol Damelin, who is the founder of Wonga released some specific briefing points about the company,  and he had this to say on the naming rights part of the new deal:

“The company were never interested in having the naming rights for themselves. It’s not what the fans would have wanted, and in the end football is mostly about the fans.” “This is the only way the fans could have got the name back and I’m proud to have been able to do it.”

And there’s news that Wonga want to invest in the local community and they also will invest “at least” £1.5M”  in the Newcastle Youth Academy and the Foundation Enterprise Scheme.

From what we can tell this is an excellent deal – financially – the club has made with Wonga.

And Wonga will be providing half-time entertainment during matches at the newly named St. James Park (what a weird statement that is), and they will launch community outreach projects, which will include jobs skills courses and entrepreneurship classes.

And the really good news is that that the James’ Park signs will be put back in place in the next day or two.

Yeah!!

• Blaydon-Toon

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

At least we have our real name back although it has always been St James park and always will be !

• Mister Tuff

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Strange Case of Ashley Laughter Solved.
    The strange sighting of Ashley engaged in raucous laughter when Newcastle were getting thrashed on Saturday has been solved. A confidant who was sitting nearby overheard Ashley and Dastardly discussing the Wonga deal. Apparently Ashley said something along the lines of “ we better not announce it’s going to be called Wonga Park as all hell will break loose”. Dastardly replied “Listen, we’ll announce that it is going to be called St James Park that should get some extra publicity and win over the fools”. Ashley replied “Dastardly you are such a scheming little T**T”. Ashley then fell apart in laughter.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

error Sunday not Saturday

• MacToon

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“………..alongside Puma and Sports Direct.”

Oh ………

but

“the really good news of today is that that the (St)James’ Park signs will be put back in place on Barrack Road in the next day or two.”

Priceless.

• mattyNUFC

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

carrying coals, TADS, ibiza

all points taken. until next time!

Ruddy,

do one

😀

• Super Magpie

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Although I’m pleased that we have regained our rightful name, I will not be buying any of the shirts while they are our sponsor.

Anyway, We can’t afford to start slowly against the mackems.
    This is a game I will not take a defeat in. I think once again we should start with a 4-3-3. And with Krul,Simmo,Colo and Saylor coming back we look a lot stronger defensively.

They themselves have been very poor on the few occasions I’ve watched them this season. They have looked very weak going forward, and struggle to keep the ball. If we are up for it and use the right tactics. We will win, with ease too. I still expect them to give us a game, especially after being beaten at home and having a win at our place being snatched away in the dying seconds last season. Thanks to Shola ofc. 😀

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Ah f**k it lads, seems there are some here who have absolutely no interest in hearing anything that I have to say, reaffirms exactly why I decided to leave in the first place.

Matty, I’ll actually take your advice, I have never spoken to you before and don’t think we’ve ever argued or agreed on anything so your anger towards me is surprising but suppose that can’t be helped.

Right lads, until next time.

• magpie6699

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I don’t see the problem – I thought willy wonga made nice chocolate?

• catchy in norway

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

227tequilamag // Oct 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I was only kidding , just so u know

TDS

I have no problem with that, he is a hard working player

• Carryingcoals

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

To me – and granted many will disagree here but it’s how I feel. I’ll still get the shirt. It’ll have wonga on and I don’t exactly care for wonga one bit, however I get the shirt to support newcastle united – not wonga. When I get a top I don’t think I’m representing virgin or ntl or wonga or whatever, I see the black and white stripes.

If I go for a game of 5 a side on a wednesday night I still a pair of nike shorts on but don’t get focused on the connotations of slave labour in middle east asia.

I dunno if that makes sense exactly or if people will agree, but I don’t feel that me wearing a newcastle united home shirt that has wonga on it makes me support the idea that money lenders can exploit the needy.

When blackpool fans are in their flocks of tangerine, the focus for them – as football supporters of their club – is the identity the colour brings to their fanbase. I’m sure that will be how Newcastle supporters feel.

I understand a lot of you refusing to wear the shirt but I disagree with the premise behind it.

The blue wonga logo won’t deter me from the black and white stripes, that’s what I personally value more. BUt hey if you don’t want to buy it then don’t, fair play.

• brobrotwins

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

ruddy i do occasionly enjoy your posts and for one would miss them mate dont always agree but deffintly a miss with out you here and who baught the st james sign at auction lol ? you gunna make a few quid outa ashley ( or maybe not probz just get painted back on hehe )

• Tsunki

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if Mike & Del havent read the small print and Wonga come back next week for their millions at 4k% interest or they’ll break all the players legs.

So Wonga softens the blow by restoring the SJP name – as I predicted last year when the SDA think kicked off, that any new sponsor would soften the blow by scoring points restoring the name. Just didnt expect it to be a bladdy Shylock, that is one huge bucket of whitewash ha ha. Give it a year for us to go numb, Wonga Park.

Wonga to invest in community WOOHOO! Wonga to invest in academy WOOHOO!. Now get me ya Mam! Its like Rothmans sponsoring us and buying an X-Ray machine and funding a clinic.

We’ll get used to it I suppose. I just wish Mike had threatened us with being sponsored by Ex-Lax or something so their could be some relief when the Wonga deal came in. 😀

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Catchy
    Lol sorry maye couldnt help it its been a bit OTT on here just trying for a bit of humour glad you took it so 😉

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM

@carryingcoals – I simply don’t want to do advertising for them- as that’s is effectively what they are buying. Not that I want to do advertising for any company (e.g. these bo11ocks facebook groups for companies and products) but I just don’t want Wonga.com plastered across my chest.

• Tsunki

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Ruddy – Marty is a bit in-your-face and I dont agree with him much either but dont leave the blog, free speech suffers another blow if you are bullied by that kind of confrontational blogging.

Sorry Marty ha ha.

• tequilamag

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Its cool Catchy I knew that

• ppb

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

ah ruddy don’t be like that. i didnt yhink people could upset you mate

• bob

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Show me the wonga good deal for the Toon all the moaners top yoursel!

• catchy in norway

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

227tequilamag // Oct 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

:))

TDS

It’s all good fun, it gets heated in here at times, but its only cos we all want the the best for our team, we all see different things we like or dislike , it’s not always as simple as black and white 😉

• Carryingcoals

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

@14

well nor do I mate, it’s a crying shame. It raises their brand awareness and they benefit from people struggling in society essentially. I do see that.

But at the same time, I’m not kicking off about it because it’s the way the world is and the way things are at the minute. I think Mike has brokered the best deal for the club that was available and I think there are many, many examples existing where we promote non-ethical/exploitative companies all the time. ie Nike on football shirts and we all are aware of sweatshops.

For me the home shirt is all about the black and white stripes and being a part of the identity of Newcastle United Football Club.

I don’t like having the big blue wonga thing there but it’s the way it is.

I might however get a retro top in future, I didn’t actually get the virgin one. My most recent is the northern rock one from last season. I’m just not abhorred by the blue wonga logo to the extent of which many fans seem to be.

• bob

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Show me the wonga good deal for the Toon all the moaners move on

• ppb

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Matty is in your face.
    ruddy is questioning.
    ibiza is a joke(r)
    kets is…..erm ….well……

• ppb

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

never thought i would say this but aside from the suicide wishes i agree with bob

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Totally agree on Nike ticks. It’s a bit too selective on which brand to complain about and which not to.

Even Northern Rock- they could hardly be called a pillar of society now can they?

• Super Magpie

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Bob
    Looking forward to next Sunday? I’m sure your lot are relishing having a chance to beat us, only to bottle it again.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM

ppb is…insignificant

Ok, that even hurt me. I take it back

• FatmanJoe

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I was in a particularly nostalgic mood and on a long train journey and decided to check when I first started blogging on here (2007) and I noticed two things

1. Ed you used to post on here really frequently… Why don’t you anymore?

2. There was never so many idiots on here as before telling others what to do and where to go. It’s really difficult and I have been both the aggressor and victim over the years and I have also left the blog once or twice but

Ruddy – you really don’t have to leave. It’s a public forum and your opinion will be seen / heard whether they like it or not.

I don’t know what Matty has said and quite honestly don’t give a damn. He usually doesn’t listen to others tho so I’m not surprised it’s ended in a dispute. But stay ruddy and ignore it all!

• Carryingcoals

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

fatman

I too wondered why Ed stopped, however he did comment on the last thread.

• FatmanJoe

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Just as a matter of interest one of my first threads, I think, was titled ‘last chance saloon for shola’

Hahaha! In 2007 it was shola’s last chance to prove himself!

• Graeme

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I’ll be more than happy to wear my “Newcastle Brown Ale” shirt next season, complete with the blue star. Where’s the problem?

I can see sales of shirts, with the new sponsor logo falling off a cliff. MA’s sales figures will plummet!!

• brobrotwins

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

@fatman take it he must have proved himself hahahaha

• Super Magpie

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Fatman

The reasons you stated above are probably the reason Ed stopped posting coments. I’ve read this blog since around May of last year and have rarely saw Ed post.

I haven’t really been on this blog long enough to know what the people on here were like that long ago, but it’s like most places today. They all have their idiots. It’s just a shame we have to put up with them. 😀

• bollance

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

If anyone can stomach seeing highlights of Howard webbs performance for man utd on Sunday.

Worth watching to see tiote’s reaction when he got booked

• Transfer Sage

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Carrying goals

By wearing the short you aren’t directly supporting wonga and what they do, but you are helping advertise their brand. Same as any company…good or bad.

I personally try to buy from places I know what are ethical and try to do the best for employees and the region but I understand fans want to wear the shirt to support the club and have no problem with people who do.

Other than the disagreement I have with loan companies like wonga I have to admit that if they deliver what is being reported they will be doing a lot of good for the club and youth in the region.

It’s a shame I just can’t stand them.

• ppb

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

ibiza that cut deep man. i will never forgive you

• Thump

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Still not exactly happy about Wonga but they’ve done the right thing. I can accept this.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Anyway….football matters.

Does anyone else feel very confident going into the derby?

For all cisse is very special I hope that we go with shola and Ba. They link well together and shola is always on fire against the mackems.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

sage

I understand that. Of course. That’s something I do sincerely dislike.

However if I was to get a shirt, I personally wouldn’t be paying much attention to the wonga logo nor do I think any fans who get the shirt will be.

Although it does present a poor image.

I simply think that getting the shirt is in line with traditions of the club and supporting the club. I’ll most probably put my affiliation with getting a home shirt over the fact that I myself will be advertising a company I object to.

This is of course disappointing but it’s out of all our hands and it’s the way it is.

I think today’s news had been more towards good than bad, yet I feel far from ecstatic.

• davybtoon

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Think the fans goin on about ethics and morals are idiots so it is ok to advertise brown ale n promote drinking we’re was your concern for alcoholics with this sponsor
    Or northern rock n virgin money who loan ppl money n then send debt collectors to get get there money back if you can’t pay or take away your home if you can’t keep up mortgage payments

Wonga are no worse than these company’s there upfront with the apr n if ppl are silly enough to take a loan with over 4000%apr they deserve everything they get if they can’t pay it off

• Carryingcoals

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

and as for the derby I think it’ll be a close game and I hope we don’t go with Ba/Cisse 4-4-2. Whatever side they seem to have, they usually crumble though. I never feel hugely worried going in to the games with them.

1 2 3 13