The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – Wonga Deal Is Great

9:40 am, Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Alan Pardew has come out today and said he thinks the four year deal that Newcastle announced with Wonga yesterday, which starts next season, is great for the club, and the new revenue should help him to bring in more  players to the club.

Alan Pardew, Derek Llambias, Wonga founder Errol Damelin and Shola Ameobi

Even though the deal doesn’t start until next season, it’s a sign of good will that the signs of St. James’ Park will be put back on the stadium this week, and the official name will become what it should always have been – St. James’  Park.

We get a sense that that part of the deal has really buoyed Newcastle fans, although there is still concern of having a company like Wonga, a pay-day lender who charge ridiculously high interest rates, become associated with Newcastle United.

The deal is said to be worth a total of around £8M a year, and that to us – if true – is very disappointing, and we thought it would be higher than that.

Here’s what Alan Pardew had t say in the local press today:

“It’s emotive for me, the naming of the stadium.” “The one thing I did say is that I would like the sign back up, even if it is dented still. Wonga were happy with that. We don’t want a new sign, we want the old one back up.”

“That’s the sort of thing for me, for the fans, that we love – the romantic side of football. That’s the big news.” “The second part is the money, if I’m honest. If I can improve the team?”

“And thirdly, their involvement at Blackpool buoys me a little because if our fans do have any fears then they should speak with Blackpool fans – because their involvement at Blackpool I think has improved the club.”

“They want to be involved. They want to try things, some we might not like, some we might like.” “They want to be involved in the Academy, the Foundation, that’s all good for the academy. You can’t knock that.”

“That is all good. I don’t care if some of the negative press say this or that, I don’t mind, all I know is that it’s great. It’s great and that is what we want. I am not going to put it up!” “I’m not a business man and I’m not party to what goes on to a degree, and the changing of the stadium name did take some of the wind out of our sails last season.”

“I am an emotional football person and that hurt me, it hurt our fans. Today I have to say I have got a nice smile on my face, even though we got beat 3-0 only a couple of days ago. The news has helped.”

It’s really good news that soon we should see the St. James’ Park signs back up on the ground – hopefully within the next day or two.

Not only that but those Sports Direct signs that are everywhere around the stadium will be removed, and that has to be very good.

We have a feeling that the workman who will put the signs back up,  will not be attacked this time – the supporters will help them put them back up. :D

It’s been St. James’ Park since 1892, and it will stay that way forever.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi · Sponsors · Strips

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Gweat Weally Gweat! Gottle o’ Geer Gottle o’ Geer…… No Nichael, I don’t wanna go gack in the gox……

• 2 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

So.. we are now more worry about Wonga than our performance? or is it because international break?

• 3 Toon_Army // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

There is hope to get Messi in yet then, we can simply take a 100 Million from Wonga and stick it on the tab…

• 4 Peter Beardsley // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The north-east has the highest personal bankruptcy rate in the country. Clearly Wonga’s business plan is to target the poorest and most vulnerable people in society -profiting off poverty and thus creating more poverty. A recent R3 survey last year found that 32% could not pay off the loans.

“But they are to invest in the community” I hear you cry! They will not invest more than what they take, or they would go out of business pretty quick! This is a smoke screen which attempts to paint Wonga in a positive light -the same trick is played with the restoration of the St James’ Park name. “The Devil’s most devilish when respectable”

If they really cared about the people they make loans to, then perhaps they would charge a maximum APR of say 21.63%APR which is the law in France, or 16.4% in Germany, NOT 4,214%!!! The quest for ever increasing profit is blind to the reality of the suffering it can impose on people. This is why we have government regulation to keep the free market in check. Pay-day loans are currently unregulated.

If you wear the shirt next season, you will be advertising Wonga and condoning all of its practices. I accept that this is the way the world is and I don’t like it, do you? if you wear the logo then you are part of the problem, you have more power than you think. I for one will not buy anything from the club until the sponsor is removed.

• 5 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

@ Peter spot on

• 6 stuart no9 // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

not at all surprised wonga are involved in NUFC . look at the facts. wonga ( dodgy company) = sports direct. financial greed = Mr ashley . wonga ( dodgy dealings)= sports direct. wonga ( discredited owners ) = sports direct. wonga ( dont touch with a barge pole ) = sports direct. a match made in heaven.

• 7 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Wonga facilitate customers of bwin, bet365, casinos, etc.

• 8 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Santon, why do you make the assumption that everyone who use Wonga is doing it purely to gamble. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Where is your evidence ?

• 9 ppb // Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

the only guys i know who have used wonga was to get midweek cocaine before Friday payday

• 10 richyg01 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

What about what the press are stirring up about the Muslim’s are being warned not to wear the Wonga logo?

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Good morning,

Got to love how people tend to make things so absolute. Doesn’t the fact that a poll just withing Newcastle fans draw a differing response mean that no one view on this is “correct”?

Covered a lot on Wonga yesterday and don’t really have much to add, so will try not comment on it today.

Is there anything else going on at the club to discuss? Never thought I’d miss the bread and butter conversations of the blog.

Did anyone know that Danny Simpson was statistically the best RB last season? Any takers?

• 12 jeff // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Wonga saved my life. i was about to commit suicide after i got made redundant especially because i wasnt gonna get compensation for a number of months

no one wanted to give me a loan so i was forced to use wonga – the only ones kind enoguh to believe i could pay it back. with the extra money i was able to advertise myself and get a job as well as get my compensation in the later months.

wonga saved me and my family,

• 13 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM

lol no thanks Ibiza I try to steer clear from contentious issues.

• 14 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Tequila

the amount are usually for gamblers (not high rollers). I’m pretty sure that it’s not for investments. Are there a lot of casinos in England? I know that there are many on-line gambling companies. If it’s used for living costs, I’m pretty sure that people will go to relatives or friends to borrow money until they receive their salary at the end of the month.
    Sorry not just gamblers, drug addicts too.
    People with good brain know borrowing from wonga means deeper debts.

• 15 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ibiza

it’s international break :P

• 16 Toon_Army // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

@4 Peter

What your basically saying is that people in the North East are not intelligent enough to make their own decisions which I resent a little.

You believe that you are one of a few that see a wider picture and given your knowledge and intellect feel a need to protect those blinded by the incentive of easy money.

The facts are very different, you do not understand the situation of the individual and in most instance will underestimate those willing to enter into agreements with Wonga who most likely take their contract with them very seriously and will investigate taking a loan from this firm far greater than you or me ever would.

Every Business targets regions, whether it be Banks, bookmakers, Liqueur shops, pubs or even supermarkets target areas where they believe growth may be viable,

• 17 Robby Bobson // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

If you think wonga have high interest rates then dont use em….simples.

• 18 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Jeff , glad to hear you never took such a desperate step and things are better for you now. But perhaps it says more about the society we live in that other forms of help were not available to you.

• 19 seancavaz // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Just to put things into perspective: our premier league is sponsored by Barclays Bank, possibly the biggest con merchants of the lot of them, £290m+ fine for rigging the lending system, a boss who thinks its fine to pay himself ridiculous amounts of bonus each year in this current financially hard times, yet I’ve never heard the FA or anyone pour scorn on their involvement! Tbh we could be sponsored by Canesten as far as I’m concerned, best news is St James’ Park is back officially!

• 20 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Let’s look at the positive:
    Wonga is a bad guy to most people.
    MA take Wonga’s money and invested in the youth developement and the club, and getting St’ James Park name.
    MA = Robin Hood?

• 21 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

@ Sean comparing evils does not make it any less evil

• 22 josh // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Ibiza, talk about danny Simpson like that and kets will have a stroke.

• 23 tequilamag // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

@ Santon still no evidence for your assumptions

• 24 t00ntime // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m sick of hearing about this ‘wonga is bad’.

We are being sponsored by a LEGAL company. They have done nothing wrong, yes they have some immoral ideas/strategies but which company doesnt?

Phone companies offer a free phone+credit all you have to do is pay it off for 2years. The companies try to make you over spend so that they make money.
    Bet companies want you to be every last dime you have.
    Supermarkets try and manipulate u in to. Buying more.

All companies have immoral ideas on how to get more money yet no one cares if a phone/bet company sponsers so why shud we care when a loan company does?

• 25 Santon03 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Tequila

Yes no evidence, I’m only assuming, because that’s what we are all doing here. Assume :)

• 26 tarie4 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Peter Beardsley

“If you wear the shirt next season, you will be advertising Wonga and condoning all of its practices.”

My word, are U serious??? So all Blackpool fans condone wonga’s practices?? And can’t someone buy the shirt to SUPPORT NEWCASTLE UNITED!!!! I swear some toon fans are the most unreasonable pple around.
    The problem is ur looking at the deal in your perspective, to make such an outlandish claim, U must first weigh the pros and cons of that deal (I.e what do the club get, what does this deal mean to Newcastle etc)
    Wings

• 27 Toon_Army // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

@IbiZa

I like Danny, always though he got a bad press, sometimes the best RB/LB are the ones that just get the job done without the glamour, Ferguson and Santon are great going forward and exciting to watch but they are more wingbacks in my view and risky when needing a solid back four, when playing a top team I would like to see D Simpson in that RB wide position cause he offers a lot more security, sign the lad up….

• 28 tarie4 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Peter Beardsley

Wonga do not force U to borrow from them, U do that urself, if U borrow money from then which U knw U can’t payback on time then its ur fault. The problem with society today is that U want to blame someone else for ur own mistakes.
    Wonga are a short term loan company, and thats that, they are not there to solve ur long term financial solutions. They are there to lend U money to solve U short term financial solutions.
    if used correctly they are brilliant, but as always u will always get pple that over do it. And end up owing them loads of money.

• 29 Mister Tuff // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Peter Beardsley @#4 –spot on.
    If people turn a blind eye to Wongas’ dubious methods they are in my opinion complicit in those methods. If people believe the reported hogwash that Wonga wanted to revert the name of the ground back to SJP as part of the deal, then I am the tooth fairy, wake up you fools. Anybody but a blind man can see it was a device to lessen the opposition to the deal with Wonga.
    There is masses of evidence from people who contacted Wonga about a loan who were either refused or decided not to proceed who suddenly had monies withdrawn from their bank accounts by other loan companies and have never seen it since. The common denominator is contact with Wonga who are clearly passing/selling personal details to these other companies.
    Any reported shenanigans by Wonga in the future, rightly or wrongly is, now going to be linked by the press to Newcastle United –thus sullying the name and the North East but as Pardew thinks it’s OK and a lot of fans, who have “sold out” because of the wonga from Wonga think it’s OK– well it must be OK.
    Wake up fools.

• 30 Toon_Army // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

A Defender should be a Defender 1st and an attacking influence 2nd, Maldini was the a great example of this, if a RB or LB is not “capable” of playing at CB then he probably isn’t good enough…

• 31 bills-son // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

61% of blog fans think the Wonga deal is a good one, 14% aren’t sure and only 25% think it is a bad deal.

I’ll GUARANTEE you one thing for certain …

You won’t see the tabloid press saying that only 1 in 4 Toon fans are against the Wonga sponsorship … NOT A CHANCE.

They’ll be banging on about “Newcastle fans up in arms” “Mile Ashley alienates the fans again” and they’ll try and interview fans outside the ground slagging off MA, DL and the ‘cockney mafia’.

And guess what … 95% of other fans around the country will think us Geordies are as thick as pigs sh%t. 5th last season, in Europe, some great players, financially sound and a sponsor who renames the ground SJP. And the image the press give is that we are STILL whinging …

What a fkn joke

• 32 geordiesteve520 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

There is an article in The Independent stating that The British Muslim Council has urged our Muslim players not to wear the new shirts as it infringes on Sharia Law about not benefiting from lending money. This to me smacks of lazy journalism – how is Wonga as an institution (regardless of scruples etc) any different from our previous 2 shirt sponsors who were in, lets face it the same industry, one of whom required billions of pounds of public money to bail them out. If we have any muslims on the forum could you clear this one up for me please?

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Sorry, tried to change the conversation and then left….how rude :) It was only a joke given the coverage the subject gets on the blog. However, I do like Simpson as a RB, not fantastic, but nowhere near as bad as some portray.

Right, next discussion.

Might have to Wonga for a minute or two – what’s this about the press and warning Muslims not to wear the shirt? Is this from “credible” reports or just general press wind up stuff? Is it gathering any real momentum? Not wanting to jump in to politics and religion, but, I would have thought, with my shall we say limited knowledge on the subject, that devout Muslim (to the extreme scale) would have issues playing in a league with such a gross westernised mentality?

• 34 beefman13 // Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Bills-son, thats all to true, the press have it in for us, we all know liverpool sponsors and man utds are way bigger villains than wonga.

as you say some of our fans on the moral high ground about wonga make me laugh.

i bet they all use credit companys and banks and they are angels arnt they.

it all stinks, hypocrisy all the way down the line for me.

most of us are normal geordie fellas going about our work and other things, there were plenty of discussions about the banks when they nearly brought down the world economy thats for sure that wasnt wongas fault though

many many people use wonga for loans through the month to get them by and virtually all follow the guidelines and pay the bit back on time that keeps everyone sweet, maybe a few dont but they burn their bridges with everyone and no one will ever give them a loan again no banks no pay day lenders or credit company..

my pal lives in the middle of a rough by reputation council estate hasnt got to happneys to rub together.

he isnt a big fan of MA, but he said this deal is a good one for us all, SJP back also to boot.

my point with that is he dosnt give a stuff who sponsors us he has more to worry about than the so called young of today being corrupted by wonga and the likes and i agree without doubt, even though i support the regime at NUFC he dosnt but i just feel this moral high ground that people are taking is bollocks.

• 35 beefman13 // Oct 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ibiza, the link you gave to the talksport interview with lee ryder, as i mentioned yesterday for me was a stitch up it was as stop start interview but seggers was trying to hang us out to dry imo, lee ryders points for me were valid, and no doubt the big press are out to stitch us up over it.

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Beef…I am ashamed to say, although I posed it, I still haven’t listened. I shall do today and will let you know what I think. You’re comment wouldn’t surprise me to be true.

• 37 beefman13 // Oct 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Ibiza, in fairness i was on the blog till 1.30 am banging on about the sponsorship deal, am a bit exhausted by it and probably cant add any more to any of the points i made so will leave it for now as the lads who have the bitter pill in for the owner are going to carry on being negative whatever.

The last thread last night a blogger called swfelberg or summik like that started sayin how the commanche indians would not be happy with the wonga deal ha ha he was bloody serious!

it was worth staying up for to hear it, i was genuinly creased, talk about lmfao. nufcblog gold!

• 38 estechco // Oct 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I’m deliberately keeping out of the morality arguments regarding the Wonga deal. My own gripes would probably be deemed insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I was interested to find the following article when Hearts went through the same process…

Notice the Wonga logo in Heart’s colours? Wonder whether we might avoid the ugly blue across our own?

previous post: Almost 60% Of Newcastle Fans Approve Of Wonga Deal