Almost 60% Of Newcastle Fans Approve Of Wonga Deal

In our poll so far,  59% of those who have voted approve of the new overall Wonga deal with Newcastle, which included renaming the stadium officially back to St. James’ Park, as well as having Wonga on the shirts starting next season.

Here’s the results of the poll so far, and please vote if you haven’t already done so – we’d like to get as many votes in as possible.

One vote per reader.

Do You Approve Of The Overall Wonga Deal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

even if only 1% who approve, would it make any difference?

• cyprus

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

For comparison purposes only! Draw your own convlusions:
    “A Mafia loan shark usually will charge 6-10% per week compounded weekly. At first they will give you two weeks, for example you borrow $2000 you will owe them $2100 in 2 weeks. If you can only pay $600 then you will owe $1500 plus the 5% interest per week until paid, so if you make another $600 payment in 2 weeks you will still owe around $1100.”

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

So.. if you borrow from Wonga and can’t pay, do they send someone with tatooes knocking on your door?

• archaeomag

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM

@Santon03
    Yes, but wearing a collar and tie.

• tequilamag

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

“When I’m driving, I sometimes turn on the radio and I find very often that what I’m listening to is a discussion of sports. These are telephone conversations. People call in and have long and intricate discussions, and it’s plain that quite a high degree of thought and analysis is going into that. People know a tremendous amount. They know all sorts of complicated details and enter into far-reaching discussion about whether the coach made the right decision yesterday and so on. These are ordinary people, not professionals, who are applying their intelligence and analytic skills in these areas and accumulating quite a lot of knowledge and, for all I know, understanding. On the other hand, when I hear people talk about, say, international affairs or domestic problems, it’s at a level of superficiality that’s beyond belief.”
    -Noam Chomsky

• Lachu

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM

santon03 : Every bank does that .. in every part of the world .. At least we got out holy St james’ park back.. so atleast they think abt the fans which is good

• Toon_Army

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Sorry but you guys are talking nonsense comparing a Mafia Loan Shark with Wonga, like it of not Wonga are a legal entity offering a legal “service” you take it or leave it, either way your facial features stay intact… Maybe we should ban ALL sponsors, when we had Newcastle Brown Ale on our shirts did we encourage Alcoholism, no, bottom line is it is down to the individual…

• archaeomag

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

@Noam Chomsky
    But you are talking about America and Americans, you are a philosopher and linguist and don’t come to the games.

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I saw some idiot saying that the Muslims at the club shouldn’t play in the new shirt because Sharia law forbits the charging of interest.

Presumably then all Muslims in all clubs will therefore not play as Barclays are the main sponsors of the Premiership.

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Lachu

I don’t really care about the names of sponsors, never did.
    I only care about not playing 4-4-2 again and not getting hammered. 😛

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Toon Army

Exactly.
    I’m 100% agree with you.

• tequilamag

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Just a quite which I think sums up the ,level of inderstanding of the broader issues of getting into bed with loansharks who exist to exploit the poor

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Toon Army @ 10

I’m intrigued as to how Cyprus knows so much about Mafia money lending in such detail. I don’t suppose the Mafia have a website detailing all their T&Cs.

• Santon03

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

LOL Slank

• Toon_Army

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Slank @ 13

Funny thing is I am actually in Cyprus at the moment, and I can tell you now that there is a lot of Russian “Investment” here if you get my meaning…

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM

There has been a lot of sanctimonious claptrap said about Wonga with people getting on their high moral horses. But I never heard anyone saying anything bad about Northern Rock whose criminal borrowing activities in the market brought to collapse. Nor did I hear anything bad about the club being sponsored by a brewary.

I just wonder whether there would be such an outcry if Wonga was based in Newcastle. I think not.

sanctimonious claptrap

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Toon @ 15

I’m in Cyprus too and my neighbour is Russian.

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Toon @ 15

I’ll nip next door and ask him for the Mafia T&Cs.

If you don’t hear from me again…………

• jimmymac

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

All this high horse B**l Sh*t people are rambling on about really bugs me. How can people have a problem with NUFC being sponsored by Wonga when Blackpool and Hearts are already sponsored by them?

Pretty much every other club in the league are sponsored by bookies now, surely that’s more immoral? Chelsea are affiliated with Gazprom who are as corrupt as they come, they are state owned and use the money to buy Zenit St P (£80m for Hulk and Witsel paid for by Tax paying Russians) and sponsor Chelsea. Joke! Man Utd owners have leveraged the club almost to a point of no return.

This Muslim issue annoys me even more, if what’s outlined by the British Muslim council is the case surely Muslim players cannot play for any club in the world who has an affiliation with any Western or Asian Financial institution who charge interest! There shouldn’t be a muslim player in the “Barclays” Premier League as Barclays charge interest and have even manipulated LIBOR rates which is shocking!

I don’t necessarily agree with what Wonga do, but the attention this has generated is beyond belief. Who are The FA, Premier League or Muslim Council to express concern? This has nothing to do with them, this is a commercial decision made by, and in the interest of, NUFC.

Although i’m not one, I have no problem with our fans venting their anger over it, as they are entitled to their opinion, as are the FA etc. But it would be the everest of hypocricy if anyone were to try and block the deal.

• Whoarya.com

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Dear dear dear

From local here to sliders in one easy payment?

Some people have a “price” for any action. This isn’t good for the credibility of our beloved club so I don’t agree with it at all.

The renaming of St James Park is a sweetener for this bitter pill which proves you can fool some of the people some of the time.

Sad sad news

• archaeomag

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It’s 10ish local time and we have already had;
    level of superficiality
    Sharia law
    sanctimonious claptrap
    &the everest of hypocricy

Football is such an interesting narrative.

• Cram-mag

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Only my second ever comment on this blog but here goes…

There has been a massive shift in opinion since Wonga said they would bring back the stadium name. Therefore Wonga have done their job well. Whatever you think of the ‘legal loan shark’ tag and however you compare this to being as bad as promoting alcohol (which it is), the fact of the matter remains we have softened. Our club has been cheapened yet again and all the cries 2 days ago of season tickets going back and boycotting the new shirt have subsided.

How we laughed when the Mackems wore Tombola on their shirts now we are being made to look even more ridiculous. We have been made to look fickle with this.

• markmac

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

at the end of the day its upto the people who choose to use them, if they are desperate for money, then thats that.im sure there not like dodgy loan sharks and send a couple of large skin heads around with knuckle dusters, and anyway im more bothered about it being a good deal for NUFC as thats what we need to keep up with the big boys! and its a very clever PR stunt giving us SJP back as everybody will aprove of that of cause! HWTL

• Slank

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’ll only start to complain if the shirt has the Jimmy Savile Foundation emblazoned over it.

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Just as it is perhaps a bit of a long bow to compare Wonga to the mafia, it’s certainly a longer bow to compare them to a legitimate bank.

• bills-son

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

61% of blog fans think the Wonga deal is a good one, 14% aren’t sure and only 25% think it is a bad deal.

I’ll GUARANTEE you one thing for certain …

You won’t see the tabloid press saying that only 1 in 4 Toon fans are against the Wonga sponsorship … NOT A CHANCE.

They’ll be banging on about “Newcastle fans up in arms” “Mile Ashley alienates the fans again” and they’ll try and interview fans outside the ground slagging off MA, DL and the ‘cockney mafia’.

And guess what … 95% of other fans around the country will think us Geordies are as thick as pigs sh%t. 5th last season, in Europe, some great players, financially sound and a sponsor who renames the ground SJP. And the image the press give is that we are STILL whinging …

What a fkn joke.

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Billson, I think that Geordies overdo the paranoia about what other people ( mainly londoners ) think of them. But half the time they make their own problems. In fairness though, I dont see that type of hysteria you are talking about on the web this morning. I’m delighted SJP is back, but this deal doesnt look anything much better than Virgin and I dint want a loan shark company on the shirt. I’m not being sanctimonious. At the end of the day, the taking of the ground name did nothing for us but alienate Ashley again. I’ve explained before on what grounds I rate Ashey, and on what grounds I dont rate him. I’m sure we could have found another corporate sponsor with fewer negatives associated with them. To re-clarify, I am far from hysterically anti ashley but I cant go along with those who fawn over him as some sort of latter day John F Kennedy hero leader who is always right and can do no wrong. I guess if we had got ( say ) Sony or Toyota as a sponsor, still kept SJP, and invested properly in the squad in the summer , I’d be a lot happier, but am really pleased to have SJP back. Now if he could get rid of some of the tacky SD advertising it would be nice, seeing as its not the SD Arena anymore.

• bills-son

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Munster – it got a bit heavy between me and you on Sunday. You mistook my opinions of Wonga for me being 100% happy with the sponsorship and backing Ashley for 100% of what he does – neither is true.

I’d prefer another sponsor with no issues but I’ll go along with Wonga seeing as we get the SJP name back. As for MA – I’m in total agreement with you that we should have invested more in the summer. I said that at the time. However, I also agree that if the players we want aren’t available at the price we want to pay – we’ve got to take the smooth of signing the HBA’s, Ba’s and Cabaye’s with the rough of missing out at times. The current transfer policy is frustrating for us fans – but overall it’s served us well so far.

Thanks for your earlier comment about having respect for some of my opinions – appreciated – and likewise.

• stk85

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

that headline should be 60% of newcastle fans are brain dead.

i’m sorry, but those 60%, you’re happy because you got a name back? god help us. it was always st james park, always, to us, it was always.

this company are scum and think about what we are doing. we are advertising legalised loan sharks, companies like this are banned in france and germany, banned because they know what they do to the poor and most vulnerable in society and NUFC should have nothing to do with that. but it’s ok, we have a name back. sickening.

not to mention they helped fund a party whose policies contributed to the demise of the north east economy.

but it’s ok, they’ll invest in our academy. they’re not even a global brand! but then football is followed mainly by plebs.