Llambias – We Started Off Poorly – We’re Plugging Away

Derek Llambias admits that Mike Ashley and his cohorts at Newcastle started their tenure off poorly, and we have to agree with that, as they made almost every mistake in the book, and after two years had Newcastle relegated in May, 2009, after Alan Shearer had come in but couldn’t save his hometown club from the drop.

Derek LLambias – we’re plugging away

But since those dark days of the summer of 2009, very dark days in fact, Newcastle have made a spectacular come back to the big time, and we were promoted from the Championship with a fantastic 102 points in May of 2010, finished in 12th place in our first season back in the Premier League, and then last year were 5th top, and we’re back in Europe, and in just over three years we’ve only had a couple of managers – and good ones in Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew.

Derek Llambias told some home truths yesterday when he was interviewed after the Wonga deal was announced:

“We started off poorly. I came in after the first year: I picked up from there and it’s been a difficult, difficult period.” “We’ve been plugging away, slowly. You don’t understand what we’ve done – we’ve done a good job. We’ve been realistic about what this club can do and what it can do in the future.”

“Financially we are stable and we will get stronger and stronger. Financially we don’t take anything out of the club, remember that. We don’t charge the club any interest on the loans – we’re not interested in that. What we want to do is bring something to the club and eventually, with eight years’ stability, hopefully we’ll do that.”

“You have to understand, we’ve got an owner who’s not used to failure. What we’ve got now is a very good format moving forward.”

The Newcastle hierarchy are definitely trying to build stability into the club, and financially we are in as good a shape as any club in the Premier League at the moment, and at least financially Derek Llambias and Mike Ashley have done very well indeed over these last three years, excellently in fact.

And Derek, who is essentially the lead executive at the club, will run the club as a non-profit organization, he’s said that many times before.

And that means that any profits we make in the future, will be re-invested back into the club, and that’s a great way to run Newcastle, because as we get more successful – hopefully – Alan Pardew will see a lot more transfer money available to him to bring in better players.

That’s the hope in any case.

Bear in mind that in the last financial year we have records for, which is  2010-2011 – we lost only £3.9M, so profits cannot be too far away, especially with this new Wonga deal just being struck.

If only the two at the top at Newcastle could loosen the purse strings just a little bit in January, so we could get two top players through the door – that would be very good.

But they will not do that – so we’ll just have to see what we can do in the transfer market come January.

We need a couple of defenders, and a good striker to come in to strengthen the squad.

What do you think about this?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Beefman

Yer opinions about Wonga are just pure offal.
    and Llamearse talks a lot of Bovril

• Quasi.modo

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

So has the uproar about Wonga settled somewhat?

So for those who think that the deal may be wrong for the club on a moral standpoint do you still think the deal may be beneficial on a financial point if the money they bring in signs a few players and pushes us forward on the playing front?

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Ibiza – so it’s not pronounced hemlet? You’re gonna tell me it’s not pelanty aswell aren’t you. I know the Chrissy waddle school of grammatical excellence was a waste of money.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

We should have a poll on how many respect Lanearse’s opinions on football…..
    We are a good few goals down and points adrift of where we were this time last year imo 5pts…. mostly down to lack of defensive cover

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Beefman. Do you want us to play hoofball. You are udderly disgraceful. Insert another clever witty bovine pun here.

Wait, wasn’t I leaving?

• robcstar

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Wondering if anyone could help me?
    I’m little skint and want to go out tonight.
    Payday is Friday…. anyone know any good websites I can use 😀

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Conaldo

I knew a lass who taught Chrissy Waddle English and he wasn’t too hot… but even at 14 the rest of the class said just teach him to spell his name right on the contract, that’s all the English he’ll need.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ibiza – re nut Wonga connection. I will work on it for tomorrow. I’m sure I can work out something to do with interest rates in nuts or something spectacular like that. 🙂

• pbNcl

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

its been brought to my attention, that mr beef was joking about his support of saville. therefore I realise I fell for it hook line and sinker and overreacted. Ive calmed down and Im back! Not that anybody should care! nonces aint really a subject I joke about tho, hang the lot, even the dead ones yeah

football wise, hate this international break crap

plenty of time to get ready for the unwashed tho

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Robcstar – there’s one called Winga, no that’s not right, wanga, no. Darn it if only we had been constantly talking about it for the last 2 days…

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Mfh – true like.

• robcstar

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Conaldo- Ive got a advert on this page for nowpayday …. oh the irony!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM

pbNcl…Glad to see you back. I think most of us agree on this issue.

Wizard…..Good man.

And a repost as you all left me….

Munster…Indeed. We do agree on some things – just seems all anyone spoke about during the summer and since is transfers! We’ve certainly covered the ground on this one, still hopefully come February I’ll just be stuffed from festive treats rather than humble pie 🙂

Don’t agree on the defending him if he shot his family comment, but know you don’t actually mean to that extreme and yes, some are very quick to jump to his defense, but equally, some are so quick to find fault that they would accuse him of being worried about possible profit loss if he jumped in front of a bus to save some kids life – Yes, I went for an extreme too – just imagine the mess of the bus ffs!

ppb….I think you’re just answered the fence sitting question. I can’t get down until I can climb into his backside once again! Ah, what sweet memories.

Wizard…It is not a question of your spelling or humour, nor your ability to spot a crime on the blog. It may be a question of a lack of authority.

• pbNcl

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM

thanks Schwefelberg

very kind of you sir

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Ibiza – if it’s about those villages, it wasn’t my fault they burnt down, honest. Was just practising…

Or is it my fence sitting. I learn from the best. 🙂

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Well Derek maybe if we had more backup and a couple more quality signings we might not have started so poorly FFS

• ppb

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM

ibiza we are no more than his pawns. we are limpets to his arse. yet the sea has somehow seen fit to remove us

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

hmmm…and this one says it has been sent but didn’t appear 🙂 Belfast, you’ve gotten me in trouble!

I shall make some alterations then…

But I don’t ever want this thread to end 🙂

Belfast…..I couldn’t have done it without ya you miserable twisted *LOVELY CHARMING PERSON*

Did someone expose beefman to kets? Who is responsible for this?

——

I’ve tried to make the change from my original post as subtle as possible.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

conaldo

roasted cashleys again ?
    that’ll please the nutcases on here

• Quasi.modo

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Munster I answered your post on the previous thread but in case you’ve moved on I will put it here too.

Surely the summer window of 2011 wasn’t a disappointing window given the fact that we signed Cabaye, Ba, Santon, Marveaux, Abeid, Obertan etc and got shot of that idiot Barton.

We’ve all wanted that extra CB to bolster our defensive options and I think that until we sign that CB people will always say that the windows are disappointing.

I can’t say that I understand where you’re very negative approach is coming from because there is no basis for an assumption that we will sell any of our players (first teamers anyway) to finance new signings.

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I agree with our honourable chairman, we have steadied the ship at NUFC and i believe we will get stronger and stronger

and thats an order!

pb back in the building

cup of tea sharpish!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Wizard….Nope, not the villages, that was a top night, fun had by all. Nor is your fence sitting.

• ppb

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

i imagine conaldo as venger

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Haway then Ibiza spill the proverbial beans, or any actual beans if you have them. Might make a bit of a mess though.

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quasi, our munster says hes not a doomster yet EVERY post i have ever seen him put on this blog has had something negative in it.

like you i cant see there being any evidence of selling players to finance other buys

its like he is in this bubble and he just keeps saying the same things time after time cos they cant get out

such a yawn!

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Ibiza, it has nothing to do with my whole quest to become supreme overlord of the blog, leading to complete world (well, online, specifically nufc fan sites, specifically this one) domination. Does it? 🙂

• pbNcl

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

HA!

Ill have you know its abit late for you to start on the caffinated stuff wor kid, youve clearly had enough!!

we signed this wonga kid yet or what?

= D

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM

oink pigsmightfly, liver and let die!

• Quasi.modo

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Beefman

In the past few windows I think we can all say that we were quite disappointed with the last window, but we bought Cisse in the previous window and had a very productive window before that.

We still need a CB, I think we all can agree on that, but Perchy can do a job, Willo still has something to offer and we have yet to see if Curtis has the Goods…I’m sorry that was a cheap pun haha

Other than a CB, perhaps another RB to add depth I think we’re in pretty good shape.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Wizard….No one has ever earned the right to be a blog policeman. They either just start calling themselves it or simply get called it. But now it’s too late for you. I feel though, bigger and better things are ahead for you.

I best get packing, as of tomorrow I get to share some of your beautiful October weather. Can’t wait, shouldn’t complain though, only for 2 days.

• pbNcl

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

mr beef?

what do you see in fat mike and dorty des?

not the romantic stuff you harbour, jus football wise haha

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

ahum ibiza i think i earned the right to police superintendant, the tosh i have had to put up with today, i deserve it and ive seen and talked to Ed its official so tough tits its agreed.

quasi, we are going along very nicely a couple of signings and its happy days again for the toon

• WWYCD

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Really dislike this man and I dont take dislike lightly….he tests my easy going nature on a regular basis however

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Ibiza you’ll love it, clear grey skies, cool autumn gale force breezes and a lofty shade temperature of about 7 degrees C

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:25 PM

That’s pretty much the weather in Newcastle the next few days anyway.

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Dibs got blog weatherman.

Yes. I have finally accomplished the last item on my bucket list.
    1. Join a blog
    2. Become blog weatherman.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Beefman…..You have lost your mind, you want control of the madhouse? 🙂

Wizard….Thanks buddy – Sounds lovely.

Yo….Thought you like a bad boy?

Bye

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

pb everyone deserves a second chance in life, they admitted a few mistakes were made, im even giving you one ha ha, we as a club have been brilliant for over three years and have dumfounded everyone with our progress

not even you or munster would have ever have dreamt we would miss a champs league spot by 1 min

not even i said we would be that close. and i am SOV.

WERE DO YOU THINK IT ALL WENT WRONG THEN OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS FOR YOU AND THE LIKES OF MR MISER MUNSTER TO GET S O DOWN ABOUT EVERYTHING.

WE HAVE BROUGHT HALF A DOZEN WORLD CLASS PLAYERS IN THE LAST THREE YEARS AND GREAT PRICES TO BOOT WHO ELSE IN THE PREM HAVE DONE THAT FOR THE MONEY WE HAVE SPENT EVER!

that had to be caps says gritting his teeth.

• beefman13

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM

ibiza, i could control this lot no bother mad irishmen tea ladys daft germans mad wizards spanish cockneys, id have them all put in st nicks asap get them out the way wait for the next bunch of jacobs!

• RonVanDam