Newcastle Provide Path To First Team For Top Youngsters

It’s very true that if you’re good enough you’re old enough at Newcastle these days, and there are various good examples of how a youngster can come through the Academy and into the first team, and one recent example of this is 21 year-old Northern Ireland International Shane Ferguson.

A baby looking Shane Ferguson in Northern Ireland colors

Shola Ameobi, Steven Taylor and Tim Krul have all come through the youth ranks at Newcastle to become first team players at the Tyneside club,  and there are other players like 20 year-old Haris Vuckic, who are coming through , but unfortunately Haris is now out for the season with his ACL knee injury.

Haris has done very well since joining the Magpies at just 16 years of age back in January of 2009.

And of course we currently have youngsters like Sammy Ameobi and James Tavernier also showing good signs that they can become first team regulars at Newcastle.

Alan Pardew has been true to his word and he’s provided youngsters with a chance of playing in the first team,  since he became manager almost two years ago:

“Fergie playing against Manchester United is not easy.” “In today’s age, to come through an Academy and play against one of the top clubs in the country just goes to show you that there is a route.”

“So for our Under 10s, right through to the Development squad, they can see that there is a path to the first-team.” “You need to be good enough, you need to work and be committed, and Fergie has done that.”

“Now his career can start building from that platform and that’s what all young players in this region should try and aim to do if they want to be a footballer.”

Newly signed 18 year-old Gael Bigirimana is also getting plenty of first team experience, and after playing in almost all the games in pre-season, Gael has already made 9 appearances for the first team this season, and he looks to play a lot more before the end of the season.

Newcastle should be able to attract a lot of youngsters to the club now that we are very close to Category One status for our Youth Academy, and the fact that youngsters will be given first team opportunities – if they are good enough.

There’s nothing much wrong with that.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Buy your Newcastle tickets here.

=============================================

• Wor Shearer

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

The ‘three year plan’ became a ‘five year plan’ which became an ‘eight year plan’ which has now become a ‘next generation plan’!

Pardo, can we at least buy a CB in January…!?

• ppb

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM

@shearer. not in the plan
    btw kets is scarecrow
    “if i only had a brain”

• BmoreToonFan

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

ppb

Pards must be the lion, he needs the courage to stand up to MA and demand we buy a CB!

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Evening one and all, how goes it? Jut logged on and read the comments from the last thread.

Quasi.modo @ 3 – very well said indeed, great comment. Wishing him well is the best way.

tads – I agree that he would be better suited to Serie A/that style of play, I’ve thought that for a while!

I think Vuckic will be a player we look back on in about ten years time when he crops up somewhere and everyone is a little nostalgic and thinks, ‘god he looked great back in the day, he could have been a great player for us’.

Potential is there still of course, I’m not necessarily writing him off but realistically speaking, will he be kept on in this regime if they look back and see he’s hardly played any games. I hope he comes back stronger anyhow.

Jail for Ashley and beefman on at the same time eyyy, I feel its a showdown of the two poles, ibiza you better hope your fence is big enough to keep you well aware from the battle.

solano – I heard the Ryder interview too, he makes me cringe to be honest!

jawballsaswallwell – hahaha! Now Ryder might be bad but that carryingcoals is a lot worse, be careful what you wish for 😉

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

ppb

I’m still convinced kets is Ed, designed to stir the blog up a bit… hang on a second, nobody’s mind could be that warped, could it?! 😀

• ppb

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

@Bmore while i hate pardew bashing that actually got a snort

• ppb

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

@carrying have you read some comments on here? there are far worse minds lol

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

ppb

Very true mate!

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Carrying
    Aye cant see MA sorting vuckic a new contract unless he has a full fit season and really impresses!
    And yeah that ryder interview was kinda like watching the office you dont know whether to laugh or wince ryder is a proper tool the bloke couldnt break an egg let alone a story

• ppb

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

vuckic hasn’t really proven himself to ash. fergy has made a good start.
    more cheery vids tads?

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM

tads

Yeah you’re right very true.

On Ryder, he did come across horribly on that interview. I understand that he has an obligation to respect the club. He can’t be slagging them off and has to be tactful, or else he’ll get sacked, the club allow the chronicle to have close ties and access etc.
    Someone mentioned Henry Winter before and I completely agreed with what they said, however Ryder isn’t in that position where he could be as critical.

Having said that – there is a guy called John Gibson who has or at least had a column in the chronicle and I remember reading a few things that slated Ashley and his regime. Plus I don’t remember Alan Oliver (Ryder’s predecessor) being such a pro club man/ puppet as Ryder comes across. In fact didn’t Oliver get in to trouble with the Shepherd regime and some players during his time?

Ryder actually seems more of a yes man than anybody that gets that name. I don’t think he could actually do what people like Winter do. Really could never see that.

I would love to be able to do freelance writing so much so that I got picked up by an institution and became a football correspondent for example. I’d honestly prefer to not do it at all though than do things the way Ryder does. It sort of disillusions me to be honest, I was really disappointed with his responses in that talk sport interview. Let the region down I thought, as dramatic as that might sound.

• Magpie from Lithuania

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM

youngsters like Vuckic will get the chance until they are 24-25 years old 🙂
    No worries a lot of good talent coming throu the academy

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Lithuania

I personally want to see more of the youngsters. Obviously Fergie is at the top of the pile but I want to see Sammy getting some minutes again. I’ve seen glimpses of really good stuff from him in the past.

Also excited to see Amalfitano, I think a lot of people rate him too much when I read their comments. I don’t know a lot of him but when he’s come on and controlled the ball I haven’t been overly wowed. I want to see more of him and get a better view.

Speaking of poor first touches, does anybody think Cisse’s can be shocking at times. Sometimes his first touch is an amazing goal like, but there are times when the ball is played in to his feet and his control and touch are noticeably poor.

• Pushy Pardew

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Carrying
    Ryder didn’t need to be critical at all. All that was required
    was to give a balanced response instead it was nonsensical.
    You could have stopped someone at the local shopping centre and they would have made more sense. It was such a callow interview and having met Ryder on away trips par for the course.

• beefman13

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Oi jail, you hate MA more than you want the toon to succeed get out the coal bunker you snake and take the lie detector test.

worst type of fan possible ever in the history of our great club.

• beefman13

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You want to play trying to hurt people do you Jail, creepy dooshbag!

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Pushy

Sorry, by critical I meant like a broadsheet writer is, in the sense that they form an opinion and validate it. So not necessarily critical but yeah, as you say balanced and made some sense at least!

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who could tell how bad that interview was, the support he’s got for his comments is outrageous!

Beefman

Jail seems a die hard fan to me, despite your different perspectives.

Plus you’be got to admit his morning posts that get the first comment are pretty funny…

• beefman13

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Carryingcoals, we were having a bit harmless banter then he decides to turn it up a notch and got personal, he picked the wrong one, that young lad was going to chin him last month, i would not threaten that of course beacuse i have better things to do with the one second it would take to close the show.

i wont reply to any of this snides posts ever i dont care who dosnt with mine including u pushy pardew who puts his little sneeky comments in to his posts about me. nerdy geek.

Have a laugh, have banter, dont get personal that just spoils the whole thing.

• solano

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Beef…you are a great advert for the introduction of censorship….you need to be saved from yourself!
    Why the crass, obtuse, intellectually bereft tactics? For a short while the other evening I felt you really tried to engage in a real debate with me….you just haven’t bothered to make that effort with others and have shown the cerebral ability of a fencepost. You’re embarrassing yourself and the ’cause’ you vowed to defend the other night.

• beefman13

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Solano, would you rather MA fail in his ownership at the toon rather than NUFC succeed? you were one of the others i was taking aim at.

your hatred of the owner overpowers the love for your club.

hand on heart now mothers life and all that!

• solano

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Is this the level of ‘debate’ ??
    Of course, I want success for NUFC before anything else…but that shouldn’t stifle circumspection and analytical discussion….and that is what this blog should be about….that’s why ed posts his articles and asks for opinions.
    Everyone is entitled to them but not everyone can be proven correct….but what you’re doing is just generally bringing things down to such a base level that if you keep this up, poor old Ed will be looking for another job as you’re boring the titties off everyone.

• solano

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Nowt wrong with passion and strong opinions …and we’ve all lost our temper on here in the past..but Jeez, you’re practically offering everyone and anything in the carpark for a fight!
    Are you on steroids?

• Pushy Pardew

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Beefman
    If you must align me with anyone then make it anyone but JFA. His thought for the day posts are almost as lame as some of your recent ill thought out utterances. Each to his own. I don’t really see much difference in thinking between say Ian Toon, Ibiza and myself. I am pro Ashley and what i believe he’s trying to do from a business perspective. HOWEVER i don’t agree with everything he does and i like the aforementioned pair are not afraid to say so. Just keep a sense of perspective. Owners come and go but NUFC IS FOR EVER. You can join me in having the rest of the evening
    off.

• bollance

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Carryingcoals

We will see youngsters coming through. The big payday received from AC will certainly of convinced our owner that clubs pay top dollar for young english talent.

We currently have 3 English youth int. strikers in Campbell, gilliead and Armstrong who are 17, 16 & 15. In addition we have an English youth int. goalkeeper in woodman and two defenders in cameron and Atkinson. They are all playing for the u18 except of course Campbell who has been elevated to u21s. Despite being 17 he is shining in that age group. Recently saw a news paper article saying he could be the as good a ginger as Paul scholes (red top paper of course).

It will take several years for the above to come through but I can guarantee everything will happen to ensure these boys do come through because at the moment they are our crown jewels.

Think about it, the above clutch of players could be worth £10m each providing they maintain their current path, that is a lot of wonga.

Just because I have suggested they have a value does not mean we will sell them.

There is something special about havin Geordies playing for the team especially with the derby coming up and all of the above are from the area except woodman.

• BandB

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Beef

I admire your passion. But when you get to cracking folks out, you’ve lost .
    Solano is right. Coals is right. Despite the wind and piss, most folks would be happy with two more first team signings. And the thought we might win something, one day. Some think that’s the plan. At worst, the rest would be happy to be proved wrong. Give your heed a shake.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Pushy @ 22 good post, well said I think.

Bollance

I like your posts because we usually agree and you have a lot of knowledge on things I have very little/am learning about, namely the youth set up at the club.. What you’ve said reminds me of something my dad said when we saw the match last sunday. He’s convinced Ashley will one day bring Carroll back, simply because of what you’ve just mentioned there – this affiliation we have with a Geordie player, especially a striker. Commercial windfall through shirt sales too with Carroll’s return. – However I must stress that in bringing him back it would be a much cut down price of course. What I’m trying to say is it’s all very marketable.

I think you’re spot on when looking at the mentality of the club’s business plan.

BandB

Exactly. If we do get that CB in January and another player who can give us something different (maybe Belhanda but I’m not holding my breath) I’ll be happy. Even if we won the League Cup I’d be over the moon.

• pbNcl

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

people still unhappy here?

beefy been kicking off?

we signed paul scharner or willy wonga yet?

still sat nicely in the league. pardew is a legend keeping a lid on the constant crap NUFC has to deal with. ownersincluded#

• bollance

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

BandB

The plan is to make MA rich. This is a project which he is 100% committed to. The by-product of making Ashley profit is that our club will become more successful.

It is fairly simple but I honestly believe the drive for Ashley to turn a profit will guarantee our club as a front runner in the premiership. We may not become champions but we will be up there and will stand a chance of winning things.

There will be a day when MA calls it a day, when another billionaire buys the club. This will be a bad, bad day. Another owner will make all the mistakes again and we will be back to square one.

We are lost without MA’s leadership.

• pbNcl

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

________krul__________
    perch____saylor__colo______santon

___anita__tiote____guti__

________cabs______
    _____benny____

__________ba________

obvious bench

• solano

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

CarryingCoals….I wish I had the same faith in this business plan!
    The original namechange plan and the ”dubious’ new commercial bedfellows of the club are hardly convincing evidence that maximising revenue streams is actually what MA and Del are good at doing at NUFC.
    Maybe…just maybe (and risking a whole new wave of AC debate) we could have resisted offers for our England Centre forward, held him to his contract and sold a shed load of shirts on the back of his commercial/advertising image? We could then, with the extra cash, invested in players like Ba and Cisse and had a stronger squad! 😉
    You see, what I’m getting at with this wild theory? Refuse the big early bucks offered, showed statement of intent to the fans, thus encouraging renewed faith in commitment to success, resulting in increased turnover and revenue, resulting in longterm, sustainable success on and off the pitch!
    QED 🙂

• pbNcl

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM

bolllance

I agree MA has temporarily and only recently aided the club, however we are not lost without his leardership.

jus like we are not lost without shearer’s goals

and I know which I most prefer and appreciate

• bollance

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Carryingcoals

Not sure we will bring back Carroll. It all hinges on the price Liverpool ask for. But also don’t forget Carroll will be on a free in less then 3 season’s time. For the type of game we are currently playing Carroll would have been perfect.

All you need to know about the U18 team is that most of the players are 16 or under. We seem to have lost a year group or two with the club only keeping the cream of the crop. A lot of these players won the u15 Nike cup a few seasons ago so I guess you could think they are a golden generation. There are rumours the u12 team are even better but that is a long long way to even contemplate.

We will become recognised as having a good academy because in recent times the academy has produced very little and even fewer Geordies!

• bollance

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Pb

Two words.. Freddie Sheppard

• Carryingcoals

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM

bollance

And then – if that does happen – people will realise the reasons why Ashley was in fact good for the club

solano

If only it could work like that!

• pbNcl

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

wonder how long wonga spend before they wronger

cant be much longer

• BandB

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

My objection to Wonga is that they are usurers “though they are”.
    It’s that they sent a report to the Government, demanding the end of all workplace rights. Sacking on a whim. No redundancy payments. People got hung and deported to get us these rights. People with the confidence of youth think it will never be them, so they don’t give a shit. What I see in Jail and Solano is principle, that isn’t based on “moral BS” (as one of our great expat thinkers called it.) It’s pride. A refusal to take it up the hoop. Personally, I only watch football cos they don’t allow women to be shagged by elephants in the arena these days.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

pbNcl and Bollance

When I look at Ashley and what we’re doing now and when I think back to Shepherd and other clubs that spend million and achieve little to no success, I really buy in to this plan we seem to have.

The blueprint is something I really believe in.

Bollance

re Carroll – I see what you mean, I’m not putting a specific sort of time on it, just one day… I really think we will see him play for us once again. And yeah definitely, I always laugh at the argument ‘he wouldn’t fit in to our style of play’…

As for the youth it’s good that its being focused on and revamped. 2 of the lads I played football with through school were involved with the youth team. 1 was there for about 10 years, Dan Leadbitter, they released him and he now plays for Torquay. The other, Shaun Hutchinson, was rejected by Newcastle and it now the starting centre half for Motherwell in the SPL, has played champions league and is very highly regarded over there. Both are 21. Through their generation, they always said everybody seemed pretty average apart from Kazenga – he was the kid you knew would always ‘make it’. I was surprised that we let him go, Lua Lua.

My point being, for too long we haven’t got the academy right. Carroll being the exception and let’s face it, that 35 million deal goes down in history as the biggest shock and happened relative to circumstance. You could say we were extremely fortuitous.

One of my favourite things about the Ashley regime is this new focus on youth, I’m excited by this generation that you speak of.

• bollance

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Carrying

If only people realise that us becoming successful and Ashley making money go hand in hand then there would be less anger and hate.

What angers me though is the pards doubter. When ever we don’t win they come out and critise this that and the other.

Football is a game of two side and it is very possible the other side player better tactics or has players who excel on the day. In fact there are so many variables and I guess that is want makes the game so fascinating.

Again I hope we don’t have to lose pards to realise how good he is and has been to our club.

This will not go down very well but take Aston villa. Without Martin o’neil they have plummeted. That does not mean he will be a success at the scum but villa made a big mistake pushing him away.

• solano

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Carring…it may sound far fetched…and AC is just one example – and for many reasons not the best one – but to me, there are very valid reasons why many people do not trust those in charge.
    It is not borne out of inherent hatred of cockneys or xenophobia.
    Geordies are universally known for their generosity of spirit, sense of humour and kindness – all of which were shown in abundance in 2007 to MA. What they ask for in return is honesty, respect and as far as supporting NUFC is concerned, just that continued commitment to continued progress on the pitch that might lead to a trophy without putting a price on all the fixtures and fittings and alienating many who have contributed to the club in the past.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM

BandB

Listen, I know what you mean. The principle is there.

Although, I wouldn’t say young people dont give a shit. I think a lot, despite not having had to deal with such people, still get what they’re about.

Being a student through the current economic climate and system of government has made many stand up. Look at the student marches/protests for example. They dont think it will never be them, it is them.

A lot think its funny and pay no attention to the inner workings of wonga, but I assure you, a lot give a damn. The principle doesnt necessarily belong to the older generation.