Three Newcastle Players Nominated For Major Award

Good news today is that three Newcastle United players have been nominated for the 2012 African Footballer of the Year award, however the bad news is that another 31 players have also been nominated – nothing like narrowing down the choice is there?

Yaya Toure – won 2011 African Player of the Year

But our three African players Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Cheick Tiote, have been included in the list, which gets reduced to a 10 man list at the end of October, and the winner will be announced sometime in December.

Both Senegal strikers had good seasons at Newcastle with Demba Ba hitting 16 premier league goals and Papiss Cisse hitting 13 in 14 appearances for Newcastle from February last year, after he joined from SC Freiburg for around £9M.

And Demba Ba of course has continued on this season with 6 goals, and is Newcastle’s top goal-scorer at the moment, and Papiss Cisse has notched another two goals for Newcastle in that famous number 9 shirt of his.

And Cheick Tiote has become one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League, although he’s been out with injury most of this season, and has not played too many games.

It would be great if one of the Newcastle players can win the award, and for the record,  Manchester City’s top midfielder Yaya Toure won the African Footballer of the Year award for 2011.

Here are some other past winners of the award:

2010 – Samuel Eto
2009 – Didier Drogba
2008 – Emmanuel Adebayor
2007  – Fredric Kanoute
2006  – Didier Drogba
2005  – Samuel Eto
2004  – Samuel Eto

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Mister Tuff – (Pervious Thread) An “expert” on talk sport said the fans should be pleased the name was coming back, really!! It shouldnt have gone in the first place muppets!

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Damn thats the first time ive been first. Should i have beeen a sado and put 1st 😉

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM

and 2nd haha – come on ed has another article try to keep up lads

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

ohh god and 3rd do i have to keep on going 🙁

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

@ jawball in previous thread

Fair enough & well put. If i had a choice i would probably pick someone else aswell (aslong as the money wasn’t subtancially less), i just don’t think its that much of a big deal as some posters or the media would make it out. Definately worth putting to bed now tho. But atleast the pardew bashing has died down because of it

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Cheers Fray 🙂

• nufc 11

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It would be nice for one of ours to win it but if Drogba dnt win it id be shocked he singled handedly won the champions league for chelsea.

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM

no problem dog

i really should be working

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

no problem dog

i really should be working, im blaming you

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

You know guys Big Fat Mike work in mysterious ways 🙂 maybe he just thought with all the injuries (and the facts we didn’t buy two defenders as we should have), our sub-standard performance that he would throw a hail mary 😉 …something to talk about and shift the focus on something else (genius if you ask me :)) lol

• toonLYF

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Ed, you forgot to mention the great Perchinho nominated for Brazilian player of the year.

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Fray bentos – I’m working as well. Is it ok if I blame hotdog also??

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Lets all blame hotdog 🙂

ToonLYF…just don’t go say such ‘crazy’ things when you are outside in the real world 😀 ‘the blue van’ has picked up people saying less crazy stuff like that lol

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

@Graeme

Yep just blame hotdog, im also blaming him for my hangover aswell

• Mister Tuff

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Apologies -repost.

The big story today seems to be the Northern Echo interview with Llambias about not buying replacements in the transfer window. Link;-
    What he says is at variance to what they were doing in the summer ie chasing Douglas and Debuchy. I do not know what to believe anymore.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

MT…I never thought DL had any idea how to run a football club in the first place – still don’t (can’t blame him for not wanting to cater for the likes of Lille or Twente; it is not like anyone else came after the players in question) 🙂

…I blame him for not thinking out of the box and not realizing that you infact do need two in every position!

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Fray, I don’t have a hangover problem, just major headache getting an invoice paid. The Work is done, their accounts department reluctant to transfer the 2.2 million!! Its starting to piss me off to be honest – even more than our lack of a CB lol

• xmindcrimex

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Mister Tuff

Yeah, then suddenly when no one expects anything. A player arrives in January. Llambias and Ashley are two sly devils. They won’t be held to ransom over any player.

Other clubs should know that by now and might think twice about playing hard ball with Newcastle if that might risk no deal being made at all.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Graeme… £2.2M you say; that’s just peanuts in here 😉 lol

• check the toastie

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Kets got a bit of a serious hard time on the last thread as he didnt quite mince his words, however it is bad news for the pair of young lads who are injured, however they have ben in and around the 1st team for 18months and have been totally unconvincing.

It is about time somebody else was given a chance and unfortunaely those injuries for me have given Pardewasaurus no choice but to stop playing them, Sort of good news if you look at improving the performance of the team IMO.

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Jesper, I’m sure it is mate, but I have 35 staff to pay before I fly to UK next week. They will not be happy if their salaries are not paid at the end of the month – thats the headache!!

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I think its a bad thing to make injuries good news when our squad is already weak in depth, bit daft if you ask me but in his head, Kets has a whole new starting 11 coming in January so makes sense to his odd mind

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

@graeme

The hangover is just tip of the iceberg, im sorting out some insurance and dealing with several brokers at the moment while nursing the hangover

im also blaming the need for insurance on hotdog

but don’t envy sorting out 35 employess salories one bit, good luck with that

• Mister Tuff

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

xmindcrimex @#15.
    Yes that is definitely a possibility.
    Risk management about whether you get replacements for injury prone players, duff players is a gamble. If your players get crocked and you do not have quality replacements you lose the gamble (and potentially millions from the PL due to worse league position). If no-one gets injured, the whole squad plays well then you win the gamble of not buying.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Graeme…hope you didn’t miss my sarcasm 🙂 (the £2M and peanuts are a running joke in here)

…employees don’t like not being payed I can tell you that 😉 (but you already know that)

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Fray, send me hotdogs number, I’ll leave it for the staff – it must be his fault by now lol

I’m sure it will all be sorted before next week – but its always good to have a back-up lol Good luck with your insurance

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Jesper, One way or another, the salaries will be paid at the end of the month, thats for certain. Never missed one yet – its not worth the aggro lol

• Nufc-83

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Mister Tuff // Oct 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Nufc-83 @# 15.
    You state “Wonga looks like a great deal for us as we get the beloved st james park back so…….”
    Could I just pose one question –who did we get it back from?
    I’ll try to answer the question as well….mmmmmmmm, well let me see,mmmmmm –got it –It was Ashley.

So what it happened an MA changed the name what do you want me to say that i didnt agree with the name change? well i didnt but not many companies would have bought the naming rights then changed it back to st james park so i am happy about it.

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Graeme its 0770357643 – the way my day is going, getting blamed is par for the course, started with the missus at 7am, kids at 7.30 – Bring it on 😉

• toonLYF

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM

jesper – i’m willing to fight off every blue van-man in the world in the name of our great king Perch.

Besides, my definition of being mentally ill is people who don’t believe Perchihno is the best Brazilian player since the Romario/Rivaldo/Ronaldo transition. 😀

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Hotdog, pmsl mate. You just cheered me up no end. Thank you

I hope your day gets a whole lot better – I’m sure your wife and kids love you.

I’m still laughing, you are a star.

• Tsunki

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Hmm tried hotdogs nunber all I got was Mike Williamson’s voicemail. Suppose that’s right though.

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

hotdog the blame security blanket

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Mister Tuff – Cheers for the link

Complete tosh though “You can’t have two purples per position because the club cant afford it. You have to be realistic.”
    So what he is saying is that they expect Colo and Taylor to be uninjured and play every game and if they do get injured Perch and Williamson are adequate back up. My word this really worries me we must have a top notch centre back to compete with Taylor and Colo. Its my own opinion that i dont think Taylor is good enough for top four/champions league footballand for me he would be challenging Colo and a top centre back. I dont get riled easily but this centre back fiasco has managed it because it is costing us every week!!

• hotdog

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Tsunki – I was wondering which numpty would try it haha – Mike Williamson dont get me started speak to kets 🙂

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Back to the subject of this post, how good a season did Cisse have for Freiburg before he came to us?

If he played well for them then he’s got to be a close contender

I wouldn’t say Ba or Tiote would deserve it

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ToonLYF…you are going to be in for one hell of a fight there mate 😉 (but can’t foul your enthusiasm) lol

• fray bentos

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

sorry ignore that, just realised its just for the year 2012 rather than the season 11/12

• Graeme

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Can we not have a purple and a really dark blue? Maybe we could add some mauve or indigo? Would need some brighter contrast though or it will just look like doom and gloom!!

Now, where have I heard that before??!!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Hotdog…that was the same I tried to get my head around earlier (in my book DL should stick to Casino’s and leave football matter to someone who knows what he’s saying and doing) 😉

…maybe that was what Joey B meant when he said “if you pay peanuts you get monkeys) lol

1 2 3 8