The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is One Position Newcastle Are Not Short In

11:16 am, Saturday, October 13th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 114 Comments

Steve Harper has always been a great team player in the 19 years since Kevin Keegan signed him from Seaham Red Star in the summer of 1993.

Steve Harper - shown in action for Newcastle this season

Steve has played 197 times for Newcastle and he’s hoping he can crack the 200 barrier this season, but he knows that Tim Krul will resume training next Tuesday:

“I would like to get to 300, but I cannot see it happening at my age, but 200 would be nice.” “That is a landmark I would like to get to.” “We’ve got a long season ahead of us and we know there are plenty of games ahead.”

“Tim’s comeback’s not too far away, but we do have a lot of games coming up.” “We have Robbie here too pushing for a place. He has made big strides forward in this last month or two.” “Those performances will do him the world of good.”

Even though Rob Elliot has looked very good in the games he’s appeared for Newcastle this season, we would still expect Steve to be the goalkeeper in the Europa League games through the end of the year – there are four of them left – and Newcastle are in a great position to win Group D and get through the group stages of the competition.

Steve Harper has made six appearances for the Newcastle side this season and Rob Elliot has made three, and it will be interesting to see which goalkeeper Alan chooses for our next Europa League game at home to Club Brugge on Thursday 25th October, and it’s a game we must win.

Steve was troubled by that bad knee of his last season, but it seems to be much stronger these days and he hasn’t missed much training at all:

“It feels good.” “I have said it before, Woody’s calling me ‘Cocoon’ and I am enjoying it.” “Last year, my knee was not good – I was lucky if I could train twice a week.”

“In three months this season, I have missed just two days’ training and been involved in every first-team game. Long may it continue!”

The performances of Steve Harper and Rob Elliot this season has shown that Newcastle have three very capable goalkeepers on their books with the young Tim Krul very capable of becoming a world-class goalkeeper in the not too distant future.

And for good measure we have the highly rated Jak Alnwick coming through the ranks, and the 19 year-old has already played for the England U19 and U20 sides.

Goalkeeper is not a position we should be too worried about in the future.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Steve Harper · Tim Krul

114 responses so far ↓

• 1 numba9 // Oct 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

del boy lambsarse. what a silly little man

• 2 Sav // Oct 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

2 mil for Forster and now he’s in the England squad. Another great Lambiass deal for the Toon.
    Llambias saying we pay top wage for 11 ‘purples’(?!) and second tier wages for the rest? Where is the competition for places in that? Where is there a sense of ‘The Squad’? And what happens if Pards decides to pick Gael ahead of some of the senior 11? How will that go down? Not to mention we only have a squad of 22, not 25 anyway (and that includes Xisco!).
    Go back to calling ‘housie’, man. Its all you’re fit and proper for. Bring back Chris Mort.

• 3 numba9 // Oct 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

haha well said sav. this man doesnt know anything about the game and much less about business, how can a team that finish 5th only spend 3 mill to build on success? and expect it to be rosey. we have needed defenders for ages and him and ash proceed to penny pinch while raking it in off us. add that to the free advertising ash has had allover sjp, i think they owe us more.

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Why does everyone keep going on about selling Forster? Didn’t he want to go and get first team football? It’s easy to say now (having lost Krul and Elliot for a bit) that we should have kept him, but realistically, weren’t we best to sell rather than loan him out and let him run his contract slowly, but surely down?

With all the things we do have to not be happy with, surely this isn’t one of them?

• 5 niafron // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

Watched France against Japan yesterday. So i need a little help from my friends…

Could you say something to make me smile?

• 6 bollance // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ibiza

Spot on mate. He was at the crossroads with his career. Wanted 1st team football which we couldnt give him realistically. He has move to further his career and getting a call up means he is on the right track.

If Forster comes through at a different time then maybe he would have become number 1 but there are few as good as Krul.

The one thing I like about Krul is that he does not drop clangers. Very dependable, which must breath confidence through the team.

Sav

Think chis mort came in due to his law expertise which would be seemingly less needed now. Instead we have someone who oversees mike Ashley’s gambles, like not buying the defender ;)

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Niafron….I didn’t see the result…I’m assuming it didn’t go so well?

So, some things to make you smile…..

Ermmm……

Nope, sorry. Nothing but misery for the rest of our supporting days I’m afraid. Glad to be of service.

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Bollance….Absolutely. We weren’t going to keep him unless he got more first team action and it was just Tim’s time and I can’t say I’m disappointed by that. I’m pretty sure most fans were saying some 12 months ago that Forster should be sold, mind you, they probably thought we’d get more money and it’d be invested back in to the squad – silly silly :)

On Derek, he’s clearly at the club as he comes across as a friendly down to earth guy, you know, someone the fans can relate to.

Is a sarcasm warning required there?

• 9 Kebabacus // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Forster being in the England squad doesn‘t change anything. He wanted to leave. Besides, being third choice England keeper is like being the third smartest employee in a Burger King restaurant.

Talking about goalies, did anyone see Bale‘s second goal last night? It reminded me of the Martins rocket against Spurs, only across the keeper to the far post.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Kebabacus… That made me smile. Nice analogy :) Didn’t watch any international football, nice goal?

Anyone watch the England game? From what I’ve read not spectacular, but got the job done, fair assessment?

• 11 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Afternoon lads :)

…has anyone else problems login into premierleague.com today? (maybe it is just me, but I need to make sure >
    I am still beating Ibiza ;))

• 12 niafron // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

0-1 for Japan.

France is beyond all hopes.

Well, Newcastle at least is a true club. I would even say a Nation.

Something who make sense. As the song say:

” Win, lose, we don’t care,
    We always be there”

We lost that in France. Players don’t seem to have something to play for.

• 13 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ibiza…I watched Denmark and it was frightfully boring :(

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Jesper….I have given up looking at fantasy football…for now at least :)

Niafron…Well if France are finished, what chance does Newcastle have?

Should we all just agree that international football is a painful experience unless your Spanish?

• 15 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM

niafron…cheer up mate :)

…at least Nasri didn’t play (now you just need to rid yourself of Benzema and Ribery :))

• 16 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Ibiza

We were underwhelming as always. Jags looked shaky as anything against a crap striker. Walker was woeful! Absolutely terrible. Crowd was frustrated with him all game.

Welbeck and Rooney were trying fancy stuff all game but generally getting the basics wrong.

Baines was incredible. Easy to say against poor opposition but he did everything right. Without him it might have been a much smaller margin of victory.

Chamberlain did bought except the goal. Cahill wasted two golden chances.

Carrick looked ok, a few good passes but nought special. Joe hart didn’t touch the ball with his hands all game.

Atmosphere was a bit dull. Nothing to get excited about really.

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Fatman……Nothing like the national team to get the pride of the country sky high.

Right then, so 5 minutes of discussing England and other international games.

Anything else?

Think I’d rather talk about how Ashley is rinsing us for everything we have (that is what we’re left with after Wonga have bled us dry).

Another idea….who do I contact, wordpress or Ed about making “Wonga” a bad word needing moderation?

• 18 niafron // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Did you seen this reportage with Ben arfa’s cooking some salmon?

Ahah!

Was great!

• 19 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Ibiza

For many fantasy football is the only way their team can win at all.

The Gareth Bale first 11 won so I’m happy…though my countrymen here in Scotland are not.. Levein OUT !

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

MFH…Don’t go there. Have you seen where I sit in the fantasy league? I’m renaming it the nightmare league. :)

Niafron….When we have to turn to our footballers and their cooking segments, we may have a problem ;)

I am off….take care

• 21 Kebabacus // Oct 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Alreet Ibiza, yea it was a great goal. In answer to your question from ages ago, I‘m teaching English in Terrassa, just outside of Barca.

Just bought my first ticket to the Nou Camp. 21 Euros!

I thought England did alright last night. Can‘t believe people are complaining about 5 nil and 86 percent possesion.

• 22 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

THE COLOUR PURPLE
    A range of colours between red and blue – a ‘royal’ colour. Violet, magenta, indigo are practically purples as they are red/blue mixes.

Two schools of thought- the Lame-arse and Bollance

Purple Haze …. we only need 11 ‘purple’ or top ranked players
    Followers are squad players who fill in.

Purple Rain …. we need 15+ purple ranked players.
    Squad players are trying to get to or are potential purple status players in development are violets. Also includes solid squad players.

Well I’m with the Purple Rain school of player management proposed by Bollance on here earlier.
    However, I think we need 18 purple level players partly to cover injuries, international callups and suspensions as well as loss of form, but also for competition. Some guys really need someone breathing down their necks to motivate them to play well…mentioning no names..

IMO we need cover at the purple level in key areas.
    SO we need:
    1 purple keeper (with at least a solid violet as back up)
    3 purple FBs – one who can double left and right and ideally as CB too
    3 purple CBs … injuries ? nuff said…and then another 2 violets
    2 purple DMs …. another hard wearing position for injuries and accumulated yellows, so 2 solid violets too
    3 purple AMs… ideally two capable of playmaking
    3 purple CFs… we have two and we need 2 violets
    2 purple flanking players.. plus at least two violets. The flanking players might be wingers or able to double as wingbacks depending on formation.

That’s 18 purples. Then we need the squad to have another 10 violets.
    If we have an Anita who ought to be a purple in 2 positions then we could reduce the total to 16 purples as we may well get players out at FB/CB/DM all at the same time so need double cover even for multi-position players

Benny as a no 10 could either be an AM purple or forward purple..he fits in a couple of positions

Finally I think we have players like Bigi and hopefully Fergie, Amal etc., who are going to be electric purples..

The Purple Haze school of Lame-arse is too limited, unambitious and just doesn’t reflect the real world.

None of this is remotely equivalent to the Panini school of Kets which is pure fantasy and pretty bleak as he wants certain players to get injuries so they can’t be selected

• 23 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Kebabacus

Result fine but performance wasn’t. Really highlighted a lot of flaws – not saying my opinion matters more than most but being there really does make a difference to watching it on telly.

Possession is fine if you use it well and we really didn’t. San Marino just hoofed it out of play every time they got it – even their keeper with his goal kicks. They weren’t there to play, they were there to try and not get humiliated. So 86 doesn’t really mean a great deal then, does it!?

We should have shot more, when we did shoot get it on target and we needed to put more balls into the box rather than faffing around and trying to walk it into the net.

We just didn’t get the basics right. Apart from baines and carrick who actually played properly. The other looked a bit arrogant.

Walker was useless. Can’t remember him doing anything right. The Marino players actually stopped marking him after a while coz he would lose possession or run out of play.

• 24 archaeomag // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I am not worried about a gaolie – I’m sure Perchino can play in goal if required.

• 25 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

So is Derek basically saying not to expect any decent players in the next couple of windows? My usual sunny bubbly positive side is starting to get a dark looming shadow over it.

But perch also has the hardest shot on him in our squad so he can also play as back up to ba if required. Demba perchinio.

• 26 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Kebabacus….21€….decent. Who are they playing against….I’ve been waiting for Ibiza to climb the leagues, but may have to jump off to Majorca to catch some football – must be the partying over here or something :)

MFH….I love purple rain, but have trouble faulting purple haze….we are talking music, right?

Whilst I accept we’re building slowly and not the Man City way, but 11 “purples” really doesn’t cut it long term. Can anyone confirm if Derek had been drinking before this statement?

“I’ve been so many places
    I’ve seen so many faces
    But nothing compares
    To these blue and yellow purple hills”

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Fatman…As per my last statement, if he really only means we’ll have 11 what I would consider ready made (ish) players, then even I, the undying optimist will be, shall we say, disappointed.

Not jumping ship by any stretch of the imagination, but his comments are extremely short of inspiring. Makes me think perhaps he’s been giving the team talks before kick off and Pardew is taking over at HT. Would explain the slow starts.

• 28 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Yea sounds about right lol

He depresses me every time he makes a statement!

Bring back mort…

• 29 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I wonder how Joe Kinnear would do in Dereks role? I miss him. If I wasn’t a Newcastle fan that could have been one of the most entertaining few months in all of history.

• 30 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Ibiza…when is DL not drinking? ;-)

…I think he has some sort of tourettes syndrom!

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Jesper…Then perhaps we should be encouraging him more. You know, helping him flourish at Newcastle. I say we cheer him.

Derek! Derek!

Christ, now I need a drink.

• 32 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Back in September 2008, Mike Ashley released a statement saying he intended to put the club up for sale. One of the reasons he gave was that he and his children had been threatened at SJP and the police had advised him they could not guarantee his safety.
    This is an extract from that statement.

‘But I am now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted. Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.’

When Mike Ashley first went into Sports retailing, he was warned to keep his nose clean by the heads of the established giants, or they would finish him. His revenge has been slow and thorough.
    Mike Ashley can, and has, used Newcastle United as a platform for Sports Direct, without it costing him a penny. If he could do that and enjoy himself dreaming up new ways to amuse himself with those whingeing little Geordies, why would he not do it? He’s not a fan. If someone threatened my kids, they could go to hell. It’s possible he feels the same.
    The club can be a well-run business model, without any need for it to be a successful footballing venture. I waited to see the Wonga deal being spun. Like drunken gamblers on a losing spree, we could swallow it because it would mean investment on the pitch. That fig-leaf was whipped away quickly enough. Now I’m seeing it being blythly stated on here that buying players isn’t important. Ah get, ya!
    As Redbeard Rum said in Blackadder: “Opinion’s divided My Lord. Everyone else thinks you need a crew. I think you don’t.”
    We might buy purple, if we sell a purple. And only if there’s a tasty potential sell-on value. As for the kids coming though. Well the guys over at NUFC.Com are such lousy neggars and Mackems they go to almost every game at every level. They report it’s not happening.
    Depressing. It is. But not as depressing as reading people who are being punched and punched and punched coming back with: “It’s okay Mum, I know Mike loves me, really.”

I’ll get my coat.

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM

BandB…..Good job we’re mainly playing Sundays and Thursdays then.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

If anyone thinks Mike is involved as he loves the club, truly would be delusional. I have been called Pro Ashley (Well, that’s the nicest term that’s been used anyway), when in truth, I am pro running the club sensibly.

We have been a joke for a while now and whilst Mike is unlikely the messiah (“He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy”), he has brought some much needed stability. For me, where things will become an issue for me is down the line, not now. People say top 10 and pushing for Europe isn’t good enough for us. At the moment, I disagree. Some good ground work is being done and I would hope that is with a plan to build, not just to have strong footings. Time will tell, but whilst their intentions don’t seem overly exciting at the minute, I have been impressed with the progress to date (well, since relegation – there wasn’t anything impressive about that).

• 35 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Ibiza…are you still in England or have you been exiled once again?

• 36 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:41 PM

By the way caughtoffside (not that they ever get anything right) have us linked with Burnley’s Charlie Austin!

…is he any good?

• 37 ppb // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

i feel violated. bandb has came, left, and im in a crumpled heap on he floor bleeding from places i don’t want to talk about

• 38 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

ppB…stop bleeding on the floor mate :D (and pull yourself together)

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Jesper….Once again, I dropped your name and got a free flight outta there. Not sure what you did, but I get an awful lot of free travel out of the UK from it, so thanks.

No idea on Charlie Austin.

ppb….Not even a kiss goodbye…just makes me feel cheap. On your last comment, try a tampon or two.

• 40 ppb // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

*quivers*

• 41 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Ibiza…did you fly out from Stansted? (please don’ mention my name there :D) lol

• 42 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

ppB…by the way how does it goes with your Rum consumption these days? :)

• 43 Lynxie // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM

So Woy Hodgson chooses Herman Munster to be substitute goalie against teh might San Marino. OK so lets re-assess if it was a good deal for Newcastle to let him go, now that he has sat and watched an international team camp out in the opposition half against a squad of butchers bakers and candlestick makers………….
    the only reason Forster was chosen as ‘bench filler’, was that he is used to watching one sided games against inferior opposition, week in week out. Does anyone really think he would be trusted between the sticks against the likes of Ukraine (away) or Poland? Do me a favour, I could have done that last night. May I remind you all that he still has, and will continue to have ZERO England caps. He could not lace Timmy’s boots. End of.

• 44 obatoyou // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Anyway…what times the ivory coast game on…

• 45 ppb // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

@jester finished the diplomatico and flor de cana. disappointed as i can’t afford oot decent for a while now

• 46 jesperfuglsang // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM

ppB…which flor de cana did you buy?

…just found my new true love in a “Ron Abuelo Centuria”, but at £100 it is just not going to happen anytime soon :(

• 47 Kebabacus // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Ibiza

Celta Vigo. I just had a look at the view from my seat and I think I would be closer to the pitch sat on my sofa at home.

• 48 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Ibiza

I was kinda thinking more about the fans who wear their heart on their sleeve, and not up it.
    If I wanted amused detachment, I’d just write direct to Ashley.

• 49 bollance // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Dont know if this link will work

List of premier league refs, number of games and win %age.

S Bennett has reffed 25 of our games, can’t say I can recall him but we have won over 70% with him in charge. Steve Bennett I think??

He is our Howard Webb.

• 50 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM

So looks like Del Boy’s recent words have stirred up more anti-Del/Mike hysteria once more. Personally I would prefer not to know as much about the inner runnings of the club as it inevitably will frustrate a good many people.

Although it doesn’t seem too exciting, I appreciate the much more sensible approach taken to running our club than has been taken in the past and while people want success and want it now that simply will not happen as there always has been a firm plan in place and that still exists so any illusions that certain people held that because we finished 5th last season, the powers that be were going to spend money to significantly improve the squad were just that, illusions.

We have excellent youngsters coming through the club and when these budding players blossom into genuine first team players then I think we will be in much better shape and will more likely be looking to push the “bigger clubs” and gunning for top 4. Until that time comes though, we will just have to be patient I guess, sit back and enjoy the ride.

• 51 bollance // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

This is him. He is a smaller version of Webb. Remember him now but don’t think I liked him. Like him a lot now.

Give him an 8 year contract!!

• 52 bollance // Oct 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM

When Ashley first came in there was very little in the way of press releases. We knew we had a billionaire owner an probably expected something like abramovic like spending to get us right up there.

The spending that was done with hindsight was not great and ended up with some major flops.

At least now we are seeing more communication. Are we misleading other football clubs who are now looking at us as role models to become financially robust or is this the reality? Time will tell.

It is clear we need 15 top top players who will compete and push those with the jersey to stay at the top of their game.

At the moment we can all pick the best 11 with only really a debate with who plays left wing and right back. I know better to suggest who I’d go for ;) (I know the abuse will follow!)

• 53 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quasi

Sorry if I’ve given you the hump. I don’t hate Ashley. I really admire the fact he took those Lancashire Bradley Hardacres, rubbed their noses in the muck and nicked their brass. He also seems to be reasonably enlightened boss at SD. The abuse he took was appalling, and working-class-lads-made-good can take that kind of crack really badly. But sometimes you’ve got to outgrow that kind of stuff. He’s Mike Ashley, FFS. If he can’t afford to live the dream, who can?

• 54 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM

BandB

I wasn’t referring to you specifically and believe me I don’t have the hump at you or anyone, I was merely speaking in general so no worries :)

Ask yourself how he got to where he is today? It was through sensible management, calculating and strategic decision making. He is applying the principles that saw his business rise to the top with Newcastle United. We really won’t know whether or not his tenure at our club will yield any success but I would like to think we can all agree that we are in a much better position now than we were before he took over.

2020 is the yard stick for me, if he is still at the club then, and we have only stagnated and not progressed then I will openly admit that his time at the club was a failure but until then I am going to kick back and simply hope that we make steady gradual progress and get behind the team in the mean time.

• 55 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Mike’s got a few billion. His legacy is in his own hands. He’s a winner, in the narrow field of Anglo-American-style capitalism. The real winners, throughout history, have been the hard bastards who were cute enough to be magnaminous to the defeated (slaughtering the ringleaders first).
    I don’t feel defeated. I didn’t want him to be Abramovitch. I wanted him to respect our club. But to his business eye, names mean nothing. Llambias’s “you don’t know what bastards we can be,” was a schoolyard threat. Is that his ambition? To be “Genial” Harry Grout. A pain in the arse we have to endure until his time’s up?
    Come on Mike. Have a dance with Mrs Fezziwig and spend a few bob you can afford on spreading some happiness.
    Sponge away the writing on the stone.

• 56 toonLYF // Oct 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

@Niafron (if still here) – It’s something that has to be accepted my friend, international football doesn’t mean the same to the players as it used to. Your once mighty France are no more, and that is accompanied by the majority of international teams. I can only say Germany and Spain look like real teams, full of players that really do want to play for their countries.

Stick to the mighty Black and Whites and the Red Star Saint-Ouen’s…players are always going to want to play for these teams.

on another note, i’d consider this current French team as the strongest technically since Zidane was involved. They have the ability and depth to be great, and win things, sadly, it is very unlikely.

• 57 toonLYF // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

having a flick through a Sunderland forum to see what they’re saying about the derby…and i found this…

Our defence is better than theirs

Our forwards are on a par, ie Sess and Fletcher v Cisse and Ba

Which takes us to midfield, cattermole is better than tiote are both similar
    There isnt a giant gulf between arfa and johnson
    McLean is better than the argie ladyboy
    Cabaye is slightly better than colback

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=735922&page=2#ixzz29CB5fVky

• 58 ppb // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

@toonlyf i would retort to that their defence is average ours are hAlf second string and playing average.
    tiote is far better than clattermole and less of a liability.
    Johnson has proven nowt. Ben arfa has proved he can dance through defences.
    mcclean is overrated but playing better attacking footy than Jonas in the wing.
    colback is a prospect and nowhere near cabaye in terms of ability

• 59 Deadpool // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

BandB is the best poster that’s been on here for a long time!

• 60 ppb // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

i like bandb. won’t always agree but he’s a decent poster

• 61 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

BandB

Bullish approach I must admit, not sure if it is realistic to expect Mike to suddenly open his cheque-book now considering that we are well used to his “value for money” approach to recruitment, and you may be sorely disappointed when he doesn’t do that.

It isn’t about the money spent, it is whether the players you get for the money you spend are decent value. We have seen the days where we spent upwards of 10 million on players, but we never got value for money. There is an argument that with our scouting system we would get decent value more often than not but I think the current recruitment system is the correct one to use at the time being.

Who knows? Maybe when we’re further into this “grand plan” we may see the cheque-book opened that bit further for added quality.

• 62 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Toonlyf

I never do that but I was a bit curious about looking at their forum. The guy who posted that got abuse from the other fans didn’t he. Most of them think we’re going to win. We should get at least a draw.

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

BandB…..I assume you think I was being disrespectful to those “heart on their sleeves” supporters? That was not my intention and I’m pretty sure if you flick through my many posts on this hear Newcastle blog, I will usually try and see some humour in most things.

Anyway, in the middle of a couple of things, but I will be back on shortly and if you’re still about, perhaps we can thrash some ideas out.

• 64 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Ibiza

Spelling police will be out in force, surely you meant this “here” Newcastle blog?

• 65 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Sorry Ibiza, don’t want to tangle with one of the blog big hitters :P

• 66 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Quasi

If you buy no-one, you are bound to get value for money. I don’t expect him to spend a cent for purely football reasons. If he were a race-horse trainer he’d be struck off for not trying. Judge the tree by it’s fruit. And if you see a fat, ripe cherry tree. Good.

• 67 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Ibiza

I really do strive to tickle that highly-developed funny bone of yours. I’m humbled you even respond. Write some football ideas. We never do that.

• 68 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

BandB

That’s not true and you know it’s not true as he has shown his willingness to sign players, extremely good players at that, he just wants to ensure that the money we are spending is truly good value.

Sure under MA we have signed Jonas, Colo, Santon, Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, Tiote, Obertan, Anita and many more besides.

One could level the accusation of him not being as ambitious as some would want him to be, but to accuse him of “buying no one” is a tad far from the truth considering a sizeable portion of our squad has been acquired under his tenure.

• 69 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Getting schooled by new blood, do you not know how this thing works? There is a protocol and I don’t care for jumped up young thangs getting in my face :) However, you are correct, i’m watching you…..

BandB…As I mentioned earlier, I am not too keen on Dereks latest release of delightful information, but can I perhaps take you back to a world before that was said?

What is your core issue or is it a combination of them all?

1) Mike Ashley as a human being?
    2) MA as a ruthless business man?
    3) That you feel no progress has been made at the club?
    4) There has been progress, but not at the speed you would like for your club?
    5) You feel MA’s long term vision for the club is just plain awful?

These are perhaps simplified and don’t really cover it all, I just feel there are a lot of issues and people tend to mix and match them (Much like people have been doing recently with say, Wonga, people saying they should charge a typical 21% APR, even on a short term loan – which imo is madness, no company would put their own money out in the market, or even borrowed money, for a return of less than 2% over 30 days).

I would point out, that I do see you obviously care about the club a lot, but just because we may view things differently and the way in which we deal with club issues are different, does not mean I don’t care as much as you.

• 70 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ibiza

I’ll keep my head down from now on, hopefully I can be indoctrinated into using the correct Ps and Qs and through time accepted by your good self as an acceptable blogger :)

• 71 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

BandB….Sarcasm? Did I claim to have an enlightened sense of humour or something?

We never do what? Discuss football? I think you’ll find we do, pretty much every day.

I think I may be misunderstanding your post.

On your summary of buying players, I don’t agree. I have discussed this many times with Munster Mag on here, who I don’t always agree with, but he perhaps has more merit in his response, which is along the lines of, we will buy, but only if it’s a bargain.

We may feel we “needed” that CB in the summer, the club may feel, hell, he has one year left on his contract, pick him up cheap in Jan or possibly even free next summer.

Risky, perhaps, but once again, I think it gets us back to the issue of ambition vs timeline.

• 72 toonLYF // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Fatman – same here but with derby day nearing I couldn’t resist, disagree with all bar McClean, he is a better offensive player than Jonas but other than that, we better them in every department and that has been agreed with by many friends I have who support other teams. Their defence is very poor imo, the only reason they don’t concede that many goals is due to their negative tactics. Sess or Johnson aren’t on the same boat as Ben Arfa, and while fletcher is a good poacher, his all round game isn’t as good as Ba or Cisse’s. The Cattermole – Tiote comparison isn’t even worth looking into. Colback is a good little player but will do extremely well if he ever reaches Cabaye’s current standard. I really do like Mignolet however, really good shot stopper but doesn’t have the same presence and consistency as Krul. Another guy said Danny Rose is better than Santon; that is utter bullshit, Rose once again, a decent potential (which I doubt he will fulfill at Sunderland) but Santon is better defending and attacking without doubt. Those mackems make me laugh, embarrassingly at times. Despite all of this I’m still expecting a tight game and I’m antcipating them putting 5 in midfield to combat our strengths, but I think we’ll come through deservedly 2-1 winners.

• 73 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Quasi….I’m not going to comment, don’t want you to think I try and police things around here

*whistles*

• 74 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Goodnight Quasi. Nice to talk to you.
    Ibiza, are you still here?
    You write about your sarcasm all the time when you are doing that “out of the side of your mouth ” stuff to your chums. I basically don’t disagree with you enough to explain my posts. I don’t rely on Jail, or Deadpool, or Solano to back me up. So I loathe the “smiley face/winky/smirky”, puerile, sniggering that goes on when you and your accolytes are doing their latest round of high-fives. I’ve changed my mind. You aren’t worth talking to.

• 75 check the toastie // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

This is how i feel regarding Ashley if it is worth anything to anyone –

The multimillionaire took over the club, sacked a dick, appointed a manger who was lets face it made our Juices flow, promised we would start to compete with the big boys, then managed to undermine that said messiah who for all his deficiencies really does have the club at heart.

Since then he has completely changed his tune, employed an arrogant southern prick with no affinity to the area (Lambarse not Pardew), to run the club as he is told and has actually been totally bailed out by the skills and talent of his cheif scout, people will say Ashley needs plaudits for employing Carr and maybe he does, however if he went ahead and signed some of his first choices then we would now be progressing in a manner were people would think we are going somewere.

We will have groundhog season, one after another for the remaining years while Ashley continues with his distant unintersested policy, Every exchange of information from the club has to be positively spun as deep down it is negative.

Call me stupid but i prefer the dare we dream attitude of Shepherd, who clearly would have destroyed the club but speculated in a stupid way to gain success, a bit of Shepherd and Ashley would be perfect.

• 76 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

BandB

I must say that I never understood why certain people take exception to people getting on with each other on the blog, surely a nice pleasant atmosphere where we all engage with each other, whether we disagree with each other or agree with each other, is the best way forward. I have read this blog for a long time and thought Ibiza was one of the more balanced posters on the site, I also think you make some very good points yourself BandB so can’t we all just get along?

• 77 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM

BandB….If you feel the way I interact with others makes me not worth talking to, then that is fine.

Before we enter in to this state of ignoring one another, I don’t rely on others to back me up, I think it just turns out some of those people agree with me. But you feel free to view it as you please.

Check….Your last line really sums it up for me. A bit of both would be nice. As I’ve said in the past, being non emotional, I think most of Ashleys methods make a lot of sense. Would be nice to think within that model, they could go, hell, here you go Magpies, here’s a nice new shiny player so we can ooo and aahh. To be honest though, I have done that with Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, etc etc. I suppose we’re back to the timeline or final ambition question then.

• 78 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quasi

I don’t actually disagree with Ibiza that much. He’s a smart kid, and he gives as good as he gets. And he’s never abusive. It’s not like he REALLY worked for Gaddafi.

• 79 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quasi…If you’ve read for a while, at least you’ll appreciated he doesn’t resort to name calling. I can respect that, not everyone wants to talk with me, hell, there are times I don’t even want to talk to me – now to resist putting in a smiley…..

• 80 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Check

The combination that I would love to see running the club would be a combo of Bill Kenright who utterly loves Everton and spends what money he can afford to improve the team and Mike Ashley who has money and a keen business sense but is somewhat prudish in his approach.

This is all just wishful thinking as whether we like it or not Mike Ashley is the man in control of our club, but I cannot see how we can construe everything coming out of the club as negative as we finished 5th last season and we have an exciting young squad developing under who I see as a very competent manager.

We may see Ashley as lacking ambition but we will not properly know whether he wants to truly push the club forward or settle for hovering around 7th/8th/9th for another few years as this is only our 3rd season back in the top flight, depending on how we operate in the transfer windows if we are slipping behind the other “big” clubs will give us a good indication of that but as it stands I see enough from Ashley to think that he has ambition for the club.

• 81 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Bandb sounds angry.

He’s trying to sound cool but he sounds angry.

It’s the smiley face I reckon :-)

• 82 Magpies-till-d3ath // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

• 83 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

BandB…Honestly, it was part time for a week or two, one summer tops.

Is it just the back slapping you find repulsive then?

• 84 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ibiza and Bandb call that a fight, We demand blood on the floor.

• 85 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

BandB and Ibiza

You both seem like intelligent guys, if you don’t want to talk to each other then I am sure you are both adult enough to settle it among yourselves, perhaps it is too idyllic a wish to want everyone to just get along, especially as we are emotionally charged Newcastle fans! :D (whoops fell foul of the smiley curse haha)

• 86 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Is it Ivory coast and senegal tonight? wawaweezah!

• 87 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Lyf

I think o Neil is really good at getting the best out of average players. I wouldn’t be worried about their team at all if Bruce was in charge. But that bunch will want to play well for o Neil and I think it’ll be a tough game. Gotta agree with 2-1 us

• 88 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Quasi
    :-)

• 89 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Joe

It’s contagious isn’t it! :D :D :D

• 90 FatmanJoe // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Enjoy your evening fellas (and lasses).

Off to drink beer and be merry.

• 91 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Tequila…Be careful. You’ll get a reputation as a trouble maker soon.

BandB, not football related, but we seem to have duped Quasi into thinking we’re intelligent, job well done. If you do change your mind about our debating status, do let me know, despite popular belief, I do like to be challenged on here rather than just have people agree. Well, not all the time, it can get wearying from time to time.

• 92 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Me a trouble maker, surely not, I would have to get off my moral high horse to do that and the view is just too good from up here.

• 93 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

With reference to the Senegal/Ivory Coast game this evening. I read an article on nufcfans.co.uk that was discussing the game this evening. The article said “If Ivory Coast win we will lose Cheick Tiote for 3 weeks, but if Senegal win we will lose both Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse for 3 weeks but Alan Pardew has said that if Senegal win he will sign a striker”

Maybe I missed something but where did Pardew say that he would sign a striker if Senegal win? I know it makes sense that he would sign a striker if Senegal win but I never read/heard him saying it explicitly.

• 94 BandB // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Ibiza

I know.
    Fatman
    Leave me alone or I’ll BORST ya.

PS. I couldn’t really. Have a fab night.

• 95 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Quasi would it be a Purple striker or just blue with a touch of red shading?

• 96 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Tequila…I heard it was some Spanish player. Supposedly a product of the Spanish u21 team. Not sure on the spelling, but sounds like zisko.

Might have found ourselves the new Torres like!

• 97 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Tequila

Like I said, I never heard about us signing any strikers, as for their colours I couldn’t hazard a guess haha

• 98 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Well at least Kets will be a happy bunny. My big gripe with the latest wit and wisdom of Delboy is that its a bit of a downer for those players not considered purple.

• 99 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Tequila

With the whole “purple” player thing, I think a lot of us could tell which players are the first team players that can take us forward, and what players are the squad players. Despite what’s written here half the time the majority of us are smart enough to figure that out without the need for colour coding haha

• 100 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Quasi….Are you hinting at the idea that Derek thinks we’re not smart enough to know?

Maybe they could simplify it further and change the players names on their shirts to the colour they represent. With that in mind, would Williamson and Simpson be brown?

• 101 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Ibiza

Would never think of hinting that our Del is anything other than a fine upstanding individual who cares deeply about the club and the Geordie people…now there’s a statement of controversy.

If Anita is one of the purple players that would only mean that Simpson is the only non-purple player in the first team. Is there anyone here who did not already think that to kick on as a club we would need to upgrade at RB?

I think I prefer it when Del keeps his mouth shut as at least we can only speculate as to what a rat he is, when he opens his mouth he takes away all doubt.

• 102 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I agree Quasi and hand on hearts I am sure the players know what the pecking order in the squad is as well. But if I was Obertan for example I dont think I would be happy to be so explicitly called second rate compared to Ban A. Any manger worth his salt should be telling the players he picks on form and merit . I kust think it undermines Pardew a little to divide the squad up like that.

• 103 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Tequila

I hadn’t thought of it in that sense, but Pardew excels where Derek fails, Pardew as a man motivator will be saying to his players “prove him wrong, you too can be a purple….”

That just sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? Haha

• 104 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Tequila….Personally I think this colour things comes from Pardew. I’d be surprised if he even knows their names. I think he just points and calls them colours.

It’s great for morale.

Quasi…..I’m not one for controversy, more of a fence sitting type. On Simpson, he does a decent job for me, but clearly out of our strongest 11, he would be the first you’d look to upgrade as you say.

• 105 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Quasi, Del should leave it to Kets to out the players as second rate.

• 106 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Quasi….I think all players should run on the field screaming “I AM PURPLE!!!”

Hold the bloody phone….doesn’t Wongas logo have a purple background? Something isn’t right here…..I have the fear

• 107 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Tequila

He does it so superbly doesn’t he? Would be a shame to see Del take that mantle from him wouldn’t it? haha

Ibiza

Simpson is quite simply the best RB we have at the club, we have a number of players who could potentially play there; Anita, Perch, Santon, Tavs but no one can say that they are better than Simmo there as none of them have played there enough to take that position from him, defensively we were exposed when Simpson was out injured and I found myself relieved when he was back in the side, so that shows he has come on leaps and bounds, but out of our first XI he would be the first that I would upgrade, would still want to see him around the squad pushing for a start though as healthy competition needs to exist if we are to be a top club again.

• 108 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Tequila I preferred to live in blissful ignorance, I always liked to think as the squad as a work in progress the aim being to get 22 players of equal ability.either through slowly upgrading through transfers or developing our own talent, As much as I hate seeing players slagged off on here I would have liked to see Raylor Perch Willo Gosling possibly Simmo gradually moved on for better players. Sadly Del seems to have shown a less than ambitious strategy.

• 109 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM

That post was`nt really me talking to myself it was directed at Ibza and Quasi of course as we seem to be the only ones with nothing better to do on a Sat night.

• 110 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Tequila….Call me foolish, but I’m not completely buying it to be honest. I think this is being taken a little too seriously. I personally don’t believe our interest in Debuchy and Douglas was just to be seen to be making the right moves. I do believe we want to buy on the cheap though and deals will come up, just not at the rate fans would like. They are building, it is in their interest to do so, but it will be the MA way, at his pace and via great bargaining. It’s a form of ambition imo and there are worse situations at other PL clubs, so I’m happy enough. What I’m not sure is where this plan ultimately takes us. Will we ever be PL contenders? It would seem unlikely, but hey, if you have an improved hard working core team and a fair few fair players, given some luck you never know.

Maybe if things are sorted and there is a decent squad, getting good results etc, the club may prove to be an attractive option for a new owner?

For now though, I can certainly live with this. Hope Mike doesn’t end up leaving me looking silly. Will have to assess it later.

Quasi…Not sure I want to talk to you anymore. Can’t stand fans putting our players down. What’s your issue with Simpson? Don’t bother answering :)

• 111 Quasi.modo // Oct 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Tequila

It’s a sad indication of things isn’t it? Are you watching the Senegal Ivory Coast match?

It would have been a big ask for us to move on possibly 5 people and bring in 5 players and expect them to adapt straight away, Perch is a very solid player who I hope stays at the club for a long time. Gosling can be replaced, as can Raylor but Simmo and Willo have proved themselves at our club, if we signed another CB then I may think we could move on Willo but until that time comes I say we should retain his services

• 112 tequilamag // Oct 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ibiza what will be will be. We can only sit back and enjoy he ride.
    Quasi, not suggesting we should go all Kets and sign 5 Panini players. Don`t have anything against the players I mentioned either. As I say gradual work in progress. Yeah watching the game. Best quality stream I have seen in ages.

• 113 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Tequila….Indeed. Enjoy is an interesting choice of word mind.

• 114 Neun78 // Oct 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM

now way harper keeps his place when krul returns.
    its like city have hart on the bench

previous post: This Youngster Another Great Find By Graham Carr