Newcastle’s African Players Will Return Tomorrow

Newcastle’s three African players, who played in the Senegal vs Ivory Coast play-off tie on Saturday night which ended in riots by the Senegal fans –  Cheick Tiote, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse  – will be returning to Newcastle tomorrow.

The aftermath in Senegal on Saturday evening

The Ivory Coast were leading by two Didier Drogba goals, one from a free kick and one from a disputed penalty, when fires were lit in the stands and and fans started to throw objects onto the pitch, and 30 people were said to be injured both inside and outside the ground.

Senegal fans were upset by being behind 6-2 on aggregate, with just 14 minutes remaining of the two match play-off tie.

The African Federation has still to say what they are going to do about the fracas,   but the result is almost sure to stand, and therefore the Ivory Coast go through to the finals on a 6-2 aggregate over the two legs.

The Senegalese FA has admitted the responsibility for the riot lay with their own fans:

“Unfortunately the match ended in very sombre circumstances.” “The referee was forced to stop in the match in the 72nd minute with the score at 2-0 because of serious outbreaks in the stands by very unhappy Senegalese supporters. “

Senegal’s official news agency APS added:

“Mr Gakou has been hurt by a stone and was evacuated.” “We had three cases of wounds that required stitches and four or five cases of discomfort or pain.” “But there were no serious injuries, people were not trampled.”

“The match was halted and the Lions of Senegal will not qualify for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.”

Newcastle will now lose Cheick Tiote to the African Cup of Nations starting in January, and we have cover in Vurnon Anita and Gael Bigirimana, and it would have been very difficult to have replaced Papiss Cisse and Demba Ba had Senegal qualified.

But at least in that case we would have been sure to have seen at least one new striker through the door in January.

That’s true, isn’t it?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

If the result is to stand which I think it will! maybe it is for the best, for Newcastle, that is?

• Santon03

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Jespe – repost, sorry

In January, I said we will sign defenders especially CB, since we are down to Willo and Perch only now, if one of them injured probably Tiote as CB, which can be dangerous.

• Santon03

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

if one of the CB is injured, we can’t play youngsters since Dummet is on loan and Streete is injured.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Jesper….Good morning. I agree, best result for Newcastle losing Tiote and not the two Demba’s, or another way to look at it is 50% of our strike force (and that’s including young Campbell).

I think it was pretty in the bag for Ivory Coast as well, would seem silly to have a replay.

On Hooper (last thread)….The scottish league isn’t as good, but he seems to be taking the league by storm, if the fee / wages are right, I don’t see why we don’t give him a shot. I can see Liverpool about bidding us mind, I think their current need for a striker is bigger than ours, although I’m sure they had the countries most expensive striker on their books – what happened there 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Santon…we should have signed another CB in August 🙂

…what’s changed? When the season stated we had Colo and Taylor with the likes of Willo and Perch as backup.

That is the same come January. Simmo will be a discussion again in January I think. His contract is running out 🙁

I think we might sign a RB but I am not so sure about a CB (though I agree we should)

What is your take on the Ba situation? Do you think he’ll leave?

• Santon03

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Why we didn’t sign more players in August? who would’ve thought that we will lose both main CB at the same time, Raylor and Vuckic for the rest of the season.
    We tried to sign Douglas, but it’s too complicated.

• Santon03

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Jesper

I have a feeling we will lose Ba, but I don’t think he will go to Liverpool.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

A little catch up from last night…..

BandB….Thanks for the feedback. If only I had read it before I went to sleep perhaps you’re approval would have helped me sleep better.

MFH….Surely you’re aware of my views and opinions on NUFC and how it is run? You can’t seem to win on here these days. Either we constantly re-hash the same speech and are considered bullies for bashing people over the head with our views or if we relax our approach and try and listen to the other side of the story you’re a fence sitter.

Oba……The feeling is mutual….I think.

• Santon03

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Jesper

Btw Shane Ferguson never gone on loan to any team

• toon1707

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We keep going on about the defence but where is curtis good all these injuries and he can’t even make the bench can anyone tell me if he is any good or if he is just not good enough

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Not true at all Ed, why do you imagine there have been recent Xisco sightings? Just in case, may I venture. The very notion of forking out any readies for striking cover would doubtless find Ash fair choking on his Greggs.

• Sav

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

If there was a riot and Cheick Tiotewan’t at the centre of it, Pardew is going to want to know why not.