Alan Pardew Not Like The Great Bobby Robson

I just watched a documentary on England’s World Cup in 1990 in Italy called “One Night In Turin” and it was all about Bobby Robson, the England manager, and how the press gave him a tough time of things when he was England manager for eight years, and certainly in his last tournament in italy as England’s manager.

Robson at Barcelona in 1997 – with his assistant – a young Jose Mourinho

Of course Bobby with players like former Newcastle players Paul Gascoigne and Chris Waddle in the side, had the last laugh when he took England to the World Cup semi-finals, and we lost on penalties after extra time to West Germany.

But that showed how tough Bobby Robson was and in later years he was revered by the press, probably because he had proved himself a terrific manager in all kinds of management, including a brilliant five years as Newcastle manager – the only job he ever wanted.

A portrait of Sir Bobby Robson is still in Alan’s office, and was put there by Chris Hughton, who was always a big fan of Bobby Robson.

And Alan Pardew has talked about Bobby Robson today in an interview in the Evening Chronicle:

“Bobby does breeze past me now and again.” “The training ground has not changed, he is probably still here in some form!” “What lives on with Bobby is his personality and his warmth as a person.”

“I am not the same as him.” “I do not have the type of warmth he had.” “I have a much harder surface.” “In the past I have been called arrogant on the surface.” “I have never really thought I was, but I do tread a fine line between confidence in my ability and arrogance.”

“I do not have a problem with that.” “When I was younger I used to think ‘What, I am not arrogant, I am OK!” “I understand you can assume that.” “Bobby was never that. Bobby was always a warm kind of guy, although some people at Ipswich might disagree with that, he kind of had that tag going on when he was there.”

“As you grow older you grow wiser.”

That last line is so true, because as you get older you soften a little, and your priorities seem to change – like trying to stay alive. 😀

Bobby Robson has been an inspiration to me for years and years, and it’s good to hear Alan speak well of the former Newcastle manager, one of the best managers England has ever produced.

And if you haven’t seen “One Night In Turin” take a look at it,  and you’ll see how really tough Bobby Robson was – and how he survived the English press – which has changed much over these last 22 years – if truth be told.

And as my son Neil told me before I watched it – “it’s great and it’s all about Newcastle.”

And you’ll also get a look at Newcastle-born Paul Gascoigne, whom Bobby always said was “as daft as a brush.”

It’s also available on Netflix – if you have a subscription to the streaming video company – that’s where I watched it.

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• RonVanDam

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

One of a kind. Question: Who has been our best manager since the PL started? Keegan or Bobby?

• archaeomag

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

They have the same colour of hair – or does that not count?

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Difficult to say; I liked them both in their time 🙂

…I can tell you it wasn’t Gullit, Souness, Big Sam or Joe Kinnear, that’s for sure!

• beefman13

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

ron van dam.

Sir bobby did not ever walk out of any job he had he honoured his contract at every club through THICK AND THIN. different class for me he thought more than about himself,

KK walked away from every job he ever had, he was my hero at the toon, and those 92/97 years cant ever be forgotton.

he said he had pride and honour and principles.

SIR BOBBY WOULD NOT EVER HAVE DONE WHAT KK DID OVER THE YEARS AT VARIOUS CLUBS AND CERTAINLY NOT ENGLAND. DIFFERENT CLASS SIR BOBBY WAS.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Hey Beefman….Saw your response about Ryder from last night.

The fact he says there isn’t any censorship doesn’t really prove or disprove anything. He may well agree with a lot, as do I incidentally, however, he does come across as a reporter that is told to to toe the line somewhat. As a reporter he probably should be questioning things more, he generally reports what is good (which whilst there is a lot imo, it can’t all be rosy either).

I can see why and where it comes from. The slightest bit of negativity is generally blown out or proportion and they want to keep that to a minimum, doesn’t make it right though.

• beefman13

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Ibiza, like me lee ryder may think their is nothing to be negative about, i cannot see any negativity at the moment concerning the toon.

In fact we have just signed the best deal in NUFC history our beloved SJP is back, we have players just about back from injury a full squad looking as hungry as ever, im more than full of hope for the future.

Just maybe lee Ryder is as well.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Beefman…I am assuming, much like you. I think you know I am massively optimistic and pleased with the clubs progress, so this isn’t a doom and gloom shout out, far from it.

I’m happy to leave the Ryder discussion, it is just an opinion of mine, seeing as other reporters have been banned (as far as I remember) for asking the “wrong” questions, it would indicate that Ryder asks the “right” questions. Who is deciding the right or wrong questions?

Don’t want to cause negativity, as overall, things are going great as far as I am concerned. I am proud to be a Magpie 🙂

• wynsleap

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Pardew is right, Robson was not like him at all.
    Sir Bobby spoke his mind, said what he had to say truthfully and never changed his stories or comments to suit the occasion or the directives of the club’s owner.
    Pardew is now saying we were unfortunate not to get a central defender in in the last transfer window. Not so long ago he was telling us that we didn’t get one in because it would harm the development of our young defensive players coming through.
    The current manager, although admittedly doing a good job, speaks with forked tongue.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

wynsleap….He has been known to change his stance on certain issues from time to time. I think when you consider the multiple areas of the club he needs to “manage” (Players, Board, fans and media), all of which are wanting different things, he does a bloomin’ good job at managing. He needs to keep all of these different aspects happy or he will ultimately find himself without a job and I think his good far outweighs the bad….for now anyway…I’ll save my judgement until the weekend. Defeat at the mackems and he’s a goner 🙂

• numba9

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

both kk and sir bobby were gentlmen and great for our club, i only wish that bobby had left barca to come to us when kev was really pushed out by shepard and douglas hall. we would never have lost the great players kev had attracted. both on a par for me. and i think that the hierachy treat them both bad in their times in managment, kev is heart on sleeve which i admire as much as bobbys diplomatic grand manner!