Newcastle To Make Move For Frenchman in January?

Mathieu Debuchy had a good game last night for France in their 1-1 against World Champions Spain at the Vicente Calderon Stadium, in Madrid, and we really hoped that Newcastle could have signed this player in the summer.

Mathieu Debuchy – moving to Newcastle in January?

The news today is that Arsenal may be interested in the French International, but we wonder why that would be true with Carl Jenkinson having been impressive so far this season, as he has deputized for the injured Frenchman Bacary Sagna, whom Debuchy has replaced in the French side.

The news is being reported by TalkSPORT, and it seems that both Newcastle and Arsenal were represented in Madrid last night.

As we said, we’d be surprised if Arsenal were interested in Debuchy, but we wouldn’t put it past Newcastle to go in for the Frenchman again in January, and maybe have better luck enticing his club, Lille, to let him go.

The 27-year-old looked a very good player last night, and he would fit perfectly into the Newcastle side.

And with Danny Simpson’s contract running out next summer, it could be a wise move for Newcastle to bring Mathieu through the door in January.

We hope that’s what happens.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Dannyo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Oh dear God, not this again…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Thanks for listening Ed, this is the good news I needed 🙂

Ibizatoon survives another day

• roshan MAGPIE

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

lads prediction for our derby game mine will be
    bloody mackems 0
    great NUFC 3
    ba Ben arfa and ameobi the mackem slayer to score goals

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’m afraid so Dannyo. The endless Debuchy saga is truly endless. Still like him myself and don’t care that he is 27 but he must know about our wage restrictions. Still we are a good entry point into the Prem for him and he could be a great RB for us for several seasons. Llambias is unlikely to consider a player’s ability in his calculations however. I’m sure Pardew would love to have him but why should that matter? We trying hard to finish 8th or so I think so we had better be quiet and let Llambias focus on the task at hand.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Cant help but feel i perhaps reads this somewhere before but cant quiet place my finger where?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Who is this Debuchy ? . I’ve never heard of him before 🙂

• roshan MAGPIE

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Geordie two
    I dont think debuchys wage would be an issue cant see him being on more than 25-30k at lille

Roshan
    Rumour has if shola scores a derby hatrick he leaves the ball and takes a mackem head home

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Also as much as i cant wait for the mackems i also cant wait for the brom game at ST JAMES PARK!!!
    Are the SD signs still on the roof or are they now wonga signs?

• roshan MAGPIE

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

toonarmydownsouth LMAO 😉

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

One of our problems is that we want 3 purples from other teams for the price of 1. If we continue to focus on young players only it will catch up with us. Every team requires several veteran players in their late 20?s and early 30?s to succeed. We have Collo, Shola, and Harps who are 30 or over and several players in their late 20?s such as Jonas, Ba, and Cisse. That is a decent mix but if a lot of our younger players continue to be injury prone how will we sell them on? Wasn’t that the plan? So who falls into the young healthy category? Other than Krul who would appeal to another club enough to make a purple offer for a young player of ours? Unless Bigi develops at a fantastic pace and stays healthy I can’t really think of anyone else other than those 2. It really doesn’t look all that likely that we will have big money coming in. I think Tiote’s lack of composure and frequent injuries suggests we wouldn’t get big money for him. Cabaye is a little too frail as well so that leaves someone like Ben Arfa if he has a fantastic season for us. The plan looks a little shaky to me and there will be no more Carroll sized money packets coming our way. So how does this work Derek?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

G2….I don’t really expect another Carroll type offer to come about again. However, when we started the PL campaign with Carroll, no one would have thought by January he could or would be sold for £35m.

Tads…Could we be lucky enough to have both Wonga and SD signs?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

toonarmydownsouth I think you read this same article everywhere, that’s why you can’t pin it down. I agree it probably isn’t the wage holding the Debuchy deal up, it is the fact that Lille actually want a fair valuation for their full international player and we want a deal because we are special as usual. Why won’t clubs accept the fact that we are special and deserve special deals? It is so sad. Derek just can’t understand it at all.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

That is true Ibiza but times have changed. How much do you think any team would be willing to spend for one of our players (and there is no Dalglish around to offer stupid money now)? I’m only guessing but I don’t think any of them would go for 20M pounds or more. We might have 3 players or so in the 15M pound category at best but if we sell them we are truly knackered. I was hoping to strengthen the team not keep saying to the press (as Pardew just has again) that we are likely to lose one of our top players at some point. Why do we have to shoot ourselves in the foot every few weeks? Surely Derek is tired of re-loading by now?

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Grordie two
    On the fence there mate (shift over biza i cant see the gallery yet)
    Although i think we put a low initial bid in its also well documented that lille changed there valuation several times and we did indeed match there intial valuation i think its a case they just didnt want to sell him
    I think were tenacious enough to get him in jan especially as how debuchy’s made it clear he wants the move!

I also think the whole we go in to low thing has been over exaggerated like i mean who have we really missed out on? Douglas? Marriapa?
    Debuchy maybe but depends where you read would beca shame to think we missed out because of 1 mil though

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

*geordie

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Ibiza
    SD and wonga! Would be a dream come true maybe a portrait of ashley some where too

• Blaydon-Toon

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

THIS AGAIN BLAH BLAH WILL HE WON’T HE SIGN …. Not a priority signing lovely bonus IF it happened but CB is more important and I still think we need a lefty more bring back Enrique and switch Santon to RB job done !

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Not so sure about it only being a low-ball offer for Debuchy toonarmy. I seem to remember a few low bids last season as well for various strikers from Europe including Maiga, and Erdinc. Maybe our valuations of those players were correct and we were right to pull out but I agree it would be a shame to lose Debuchy if it is only a matter of 1 M pounds. Overall I just don’t think the current strategy as practiced by Llambias will keep us in the top 6 let alone competing for the top 4 as Pardew claims.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM

tads…Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Don’t want to be considered greedy…

G2….As I said, I don’t expect anymore £35m sales from the club (Although, never put it past the fools to sack Brendan and bring back their saviour for one last ditched attempt – only joking, sort of). £15 – 25m is probably the top top limit.

Honestly, I’m not completely buying Dereks latest words of wisdom. I don’t believe we were just making noises in the summer to be seen to as active in the market.

From all accounts (as Tads has said to) the terms were changed by Lille. I seem to remember even Debuchy himself came out and said they had moved the goal posts and he couldn’t understand it. I go back to my point at the time, if he’s worth more, why has no one else come in for this French international? Maybe come January, someone else will come in and swoop him up, maybe we will end up with him. Sadly my crystal ball is being repaired, so I’m none the wiser.

I don’t expect anyone to remain patient as I am, the summer didn’t go to plan, but for me the plan isn’t dead yet. Major negative is whether we can keep up the pace until then (or should I say get some pace based on our start so far?).

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Geordie two
    Maiga failed a medical and in hindsight we were right to pull as as sochaux wanted near on £8mil and west ham got him for £4mil and i seem to remember erdnic was held up over some sort of loyalty bonus he was owed from PSG that he wanted is to pay the problem is were still viewed as a big club so are automatically expected to pay big fees nit saying im happy about the lack of signings but all these lads weve missed out in have all looked unbelievably average and overpriced except debuchy

• mattyNUFC

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

hope we get a better LB and keep santon playing on the right

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Matty
    Would still like to see pieters myself

• GeordieTwo

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Good points Ibiza and toonarmy. I will wait to see what we do in the January window. I think we will act if we sit at 8th or below by Christmas. So much depends on the health of our few decent players as we have no bench to speak of. How much do people think we could sell Willo for? Or Obertan? Or Gosling, Vuckic, Ranger, Xisco, the list unfortunately goes on and on. It’s not that I don’t think Gosling and Vuckic could be good players it’s the endless string of injuries to both. I just don’t think Llambias actually grasps how thin we are.

• WWYCD

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Whose this lad? I have never heard of him

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

The money we’re offering and wages don’t seem enough for a player of his quality. He’s likely to go elsewhere when push comes to shove, which would be the fitting end to the most appallingly protracted transfer melodrama I’ve ever witnessed. Pathetic.

• archaeomag

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

@GeordieTwo
    Have to agree about Llambias – I think for him the team is a colour coded spread sheet.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Jaws
    Cant comment in the wages because i really dint recall reading what we were offering but around £5 mil seems a fair price for a player who’s never played in one of the “top leagues” and is only in the national squad becuase sagna had a broken leg

Geordie two
    Wilo £1-1.5mil?
    Ober prob same as we paid for him
    Gos £2.5 – 3 maybe think next season is his last year on his contract
    Vuckic £1ish unproven and injury prone
    Ranger nout as pards said no one wants him!
    Xisco nout

Still hoping gos or vuckic come good just cant see it

WWYCD
    Apparantly we showed some intrest in the summer but it was all a bit under the radar didnt really make the press

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM

G2…Injuries to these fringe players are a concern. Well, injuries overall are a concern tbh.

Time will tell on transfers, I do see why people are less than convinced, but I still believe. I’ll either be proved right or quite the fool 🙂

Yo….He’s a player to be optimistic about. Probably why he’s escaped your attention mate.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Archeomag
    I think we can all agree lamearse is a nasty piece of work lets just hope he can get some lads in jan not even “purple” would be happy with another 3-4 prospects like bigi

• Super Magpie

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It is just my page, or is there lots of sad faces above the banner?

Also, nice to see St James park signs back. Now to get rod of the monstrosity on the gallowgate.

• archaeomag

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

@super Magpie
    This W@nga deal has messed up the adverts up something shocking – we used to get dating & girls now we get financial services – the faces of miserable people

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I think Debuchey has done enough for France over the past year to be considered first choice and to prompt one or more clubs to enter the race for his signature and at 27 he might see it as his last chance at a big payday and opportunity to play at a big club, which is probably how he views Newcastle now.

• archaeomag

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:40 PM

@toonarmydownsouth

I think we are lucky to have AP – he seems to cope, and is remarkably honest about it; quite impressed with what he said at the renaming.

• mattyNUFC

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

tads

not a fan of Pieters at all. if it were between him and debuchy, i’d rather keep santon on the left

think we’d be far better off looking for a suitable LB though. To be able to work in a 433 you need FBs who can help out the attack while the two DCMs sit deeper. Don’t think Pieters would do well at all. Hardly crosses the half way line

• Tonytoon73

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Just been talking to the young kid who got nicked for spray painting st James at the ground after SD took over, the poor c@nt has been barred for life. He deserved a medal and money off Ashley for all the advertising he got him.

• weg

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I think Debuchy will definitely arrive in Jan, but I’d also like to see Pieters and Mbiwa come in (extravagant wishing, I know!), and a young striker.
    Mackems 0 – 11 Toon!!!! Am I being unrealistic???
    @17…I would love a portrait of Ashley…printed in the inside of my toilet bowl so I can sh*t on him all the time!!! Just like he’s been doing to the fans most of the time!

• mattyNUFC

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

…but then again, what the hell am i saying? we’ve only tried out that formation for 30 minutes against Bordeaux this year (mind you our best 30 minutes of football this season)

• 89Norcal

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

@weg, in all honestly I only see 1 of those targets coming in during January. MA is sweating enough bullets thinking about pulling the extra 500k for Debuchy again.

• mattyNUFC

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:55 PM

i’m gonna go out on a limb here and defend MA…

all of us who have jobs know what it’s like to work within confines, be it financial or otherwise. We are not judged on what we do not have. We are judged on what we’ve accomplished and how we’ve done with what is supplied to us

…and to assume pardew is not working with much is a horrible accusation….he has the most talented squad we’ve had in over a decade and can’t get them to click. moan all you want about ashley’s lack of investment, but we have a damn good team with some damn good players. I want to see someone come in who is not just alright with the financial constraints we have in place but someone who can do with this squad of players what most of know can be done. Pardew has not gotten this team to click, not even close