The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wonga Deal Not Too Bad – Majority Of Fans Approve Of It

9:28 am, Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

Newcastle new sponsorship with Wonga has received lots of publicity, and most of it has been bad publicity, but there are some good things coming out of the deal.

One is that it’s the best sponsorship deal Newcastle have ever signed, and it’s said to be worth £8M a year for four years with money being included in that figure, for the naming rights to St. James’ Park.

We don’t think the naming rights will be too much of that overall £8M a year deal, maybe £2M a year?

Owner Mike Ashley changed the name of the company about a year ago, and now he has managed to get paid at least £2M a year to have it revert back to it’s original and real name – St. James’ Park.

So those are two good things about the deal, and in our poll with one vote per reader – so that the voting cannot be artificially skewed by people voting multiple times – a full 60% of Newcastle supporters approve of the deal.

There has been reports that Newcastle’s Muslim players – Ben Arfa, Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Cheick Tiote will not wear the logo on religious grounds –  because Muslims are not allowed to charge interest on money – they are not meant to make money off money.

But our last two sponsors, Virgin Money and Northern Rock also loaned out money for profit, so there’s not too much difference in that respect between all three sponsors.

The fans don’t like the fact that Wonga are a pay-day loan company who charge extremely high and unfair interest rates to their clientele, who are usually the not well off and the poor, because that’s why they need pay-day loans in the first place.

That negative seems very real, but even with Newcastle being associated with a company that has hardly got a good name in the UK, more fans than not seem to approve of the deal.

Here’s the results of the poll, which is still open.

Do You Approve Of The Overall Wonga Deal?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Sponsors · Strips

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Non Wonga related (and it will stay that way on my part) :)

Ibiza…Is it because of what I said about Rooney (or the English primadonna’s?) lol

…or just because we were crap? :D

• 2 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I posted something relating to the socalled “Mackem Slayer” a few days ago; the fact that he didn’t slay any Mackems in 2011 and only one in 2012. Does that have any baring on his name? (his most prolific “Mackem Slaying) period was between 2008-10 – is his slaying career over and are we just going along with some clever inuendo?

Comments are welcome :D

• 3 darrenfletcher88 // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Don’t care!! Chelsea is run by a Russian villain, Blackburn is run by a chicken killer and qpr and man city what can I say, it could say Newcastle are crap on the front off are shirts if some one paided 20 mill a year it would happen, sooner people realise modern day football is about money the better,we are only going to keep are best players and sign more if we keep investing. Chelsea man city and even Man U buy success now!!!

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Jesper….I struggle to watch my own country due to their “crap” performances, so yes, I struggled to watch yours for this reason.

No love loss with regards to assessing the England team. Bunch of w*nk*rs :)

• 5 jeff // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

we need to build the team around cabaye, hatem ben arfa, obertan and abeid. simply those four in front of tiote with a single stricker. it will win games. the french contingency as i like to call it

i actually sent a letter to nufc asking about abeid. expect an answer within the coming weaks guys – i have no problem sharing it on this hear blog

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Jesper…Ask yourself this. Are you willing to wear a mackem shirt near to wor Shola and find out? I though not. Howay the mackem slayer!

Darren….For me, there is a line. However, based on my experience and knowledge, Wonga doesn’t cross it. Sure there are better and more attractive options, but it would seem they didn’t want to pay the money. It won’t stop my enjoyment of NUFC.

• 7 jeff // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

also guess who i reckon would be a right bargain

johan djourou – imagine him lads

• 8 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Ibiza…sometimes I do wonder why I want to watch International football (guess I am a romantic at heart) ;) lol

…God I am just happy we are playing the Tyne-Wear derby this weekend (talk about footbal that matters :))

• 9 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza…I am not a risk taker (that’s why I am asking :))

…I just don’t want the lads to set themselves up for something this weekend and finding out it was nothing but a clever inuendo :) (if you didn’t know I am also one of the realists ;)) lol

• 10 darrenfletcher88 // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza, true, same with the stadium name it will always be st James park to us Newcastle fans but if a top top paying company says there’s 20 mill a year I wud snap there hand off before people snap back I love the tradition off are great club,but the only thing that is going to bring silverware is wonga!!! Sorry cud not help that

• 11 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Jeff…I don’t think it would be fair to build the team around Abeid at this point in his career (he has potential, but he need to show that first). This is a personal opinion, but there is no way in hell, our team should be build around Obertan (I think he’s broken…sorry) :)

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Jesper…..Just a glutton for punishment I guess. I agree, bring on the unwashed and let’s get our season going.

• 13 Tsunki // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Wonga! everybody.

Just for the record I do know how modern footy works and I still don’t approve of the deal sorry. There are some things I don’t think are worth tainting your name with or setting yourself up for future controversy, much less dropping your trollies for a usurers cash. That’s me, no offense to anyone else who loves it. So no shirt but that’s all.

• 14 jesperfuglsang // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ibiza…what can you do :) no matter how bad they are they are still your countrymen ;) lol

…at least we play 4-3-3 (no crap and no excusses)

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Excuse me…Abied is already better than Cabaye – everyone knows that, right?

Darren….Well, coming from a Man U fan that’s understandable :) – Disclaimer: That is an old joke, please don’t use it as an invitation to starting hurling abuse at Darren.

I feel you can’t have it both ways, tradition and moving forward in a modern world. Something, somewhere has to give. If we want tradition, should we not be putting for emphasis on local players? Seems sometimes where we people draw their line is a little irrational. Maybe it’s just me.

Jesper….It is mainly said in jest. Shola has been subject to much criticism and he does seem to raise his game against the mackems, but no, it wont be every game and I personally wont be calling for his head if he fails to slay them.

• 16 darrenfletcher88 // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Answer me this would u rather win a trophy with wonga on ya top and the ground called the million filler stadium or have brown ale on the top and the ground been called st James park??

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Got to shoot, take it easy everyone.

• 18 jeff // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

good riddance

• 19 jeff // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

also on abeid: hes a right talent – i think comparable to ben arfa. imagine abeid and ben arfa on the wigns terrorising full backs across england

finally anyone think shola could make a good cb? i think he is the goal scoring cb pards is looking for

• 20 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Ed, your blog is a treasure, thank you sincerely, but the Newcastle United blog poll is hardly a reliable empirical indication that “a full 60% of Newcastle supporters” think it’s ok. The Guardian is reporting otherwise for example.

• 21 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Jeff…Sticks and stones may break my bones, but cor that one hurt. Meanie.

previous post: Injuries Have Affected Our Season So Far – Pardew