Pardew – Big Signings Still Possible At Newcastle

The days of Newcastle paying big fees for players may be over, but Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager is not so certain, and he says that could still be possible in the future.

Alan Pardew – big signings still possible a Newcastle

In his interview with the Evening Chronicle today, Alan was asked if there could still be a chance of a major signing in the future, and he had this to say:

“Of course there is, if we think we are getting value for money.” “There is no way we will sign an £8million player who is 28. I know that, so there is no point me looking at them.”

“But if there’s a 22-year-old at £11M who has potential and I can convince him there is a £30M player there, it could be different.”

“We still need to work within our budget and with the market we’ve got, we are probably on an even keel at the moment – with a good team.”

It seems that all the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is after is value for money, and as Alan says he would like pay out around £11M if the value if the player could triple in a few years – who wouldn’t?

The good news earlier today was that it seems Graham Carr and the scouting staff are in high gear to scout players for January – and we’d love to see a couple of top defenders come in.

And then in the summer maybe a young striker that Newcastle are willing to pay out £11 for?

Come to think of it Newcastle brought in a certain Papiss Cisse for almost £10M last January, and Papiss has since scored 15 goals for Newcastle.

Sounds good to us.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Super Magpie

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

After reading through today’s articles I feel abit more upbeat about the club, although I thought we wanted a CB in the summer. It’s clear that its llambias that is the one not going ahead with transfers, not Ashley.
    We would still need a FB and a ST even if we did bring in a CB,
    I think the lower down the table we are, the more desperate we’ll be to get players in.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Been saying this since Dereks latest words of wisdom. Nothing is really set in stone. The releases are to try and control expectations and to gain the upper hand with future transfer dealings. The summer turned out to be harder than expected, so the chaps are trying to regain some control. That’s what I think anyway. Never take anything our car salesman MD says, whether positive or negative, as gospel. He can’t lie straight in bed that man.

• Deadpool

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

This makes sense as Ashley doesnt look at players as footballers, mearly investments.

Of course he’d spend £11 million if he’d be worth 30 in the future, but would he retain that player in order to bring the club to the top? No!

Why spend money with no guarantee on return? We could spend £100 million and not be guaranteed a top 4 finish.

Invest in low priced players with potential as they can guarentee some return!

• WWYCD

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

He just cant seem to make up his mind can he? Poor bloke must be terrible having a take away with him

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Super mag
    Well said mate can see nout but good things coming for the toon!

Ibiza
    Maybe they could buy i dont think the blog ever got as desperate as german pirates?

• AMEOBI

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

cheers ibiza and nufc786.

Might pop em on ebay within a few hours for 200. I’d have gone myself but sitting with a bunch of mackems would kill me plus id celebrate no doubt about it haha.

Sit at home and watch on sky it is, sadly

• chuck

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Erm !
    If i can sign a Young player for 11 million, who would eventually be worth 30 million, i would.
    Yeah right , wouldn,t everyone!
    Is this some kinda revelation ?

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Luis Muriel please then! 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

tads…..I think people are being extremely dismissive about German pirates. What’s everyone’s issue? Do they not deserve to be represented?

Take a little look to the right hand side of your screen. You’ll see a little red advertisement box. Take note my friend this short sighted attitude will not be tolerated.

Yo…Only when Ashley is paying for said take out.

“Hi Mike, well the large chips costs £1.50, small chips is £1.20, but you can get two small chips for £2. I’ve counted the number of chips in each serving and you’d be best off to get the 2 small for £2. There is however a batch that fell on the floor and they’re willing to give them to us for 50p – thoughts?”

• check the toastie

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:25 PM

We wil make big signings only after we hav sold some of our big players, this current team has been built with liverpools money, make no mistake, I see ba away in the coming months and then maybe cabaye in the summer, we may then buy big players who fit into our pay structure, pardew annoys the shit out of me at times.

• archaeomag

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM

” . . . no way we will sign an £8million player who is 28″
    I wonder who he is talking about?

Well I’ll be W@nga’d – perhaps the journo-chronic transfer stories have been made up all along
    ++ ironic surprised smiley

• WWYCD

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Ibiza
    Biggest laugh of the day haha kudos

Bless him I bet he eats floor food constantly

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Ameobi…Not sure I was much help, but you’re welcome. Probably for the best, I mean, are all your shots up to date? Gotta be careful near the unwashed.

Chuck….I think it probably is, yes. Most people have said “he will NEVER pay £10m or over”, this indicates differently.

• Super Magpie

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ibiza

I forgot that you were the bully on here.
    You know it’s disgraceful what you do, making everyone agreeing with you against their will. I’ve had enough of this, I’m going to have to disagree with your post…

Wait! Please don’t hurt me!!! I was just joking. I agree with everything you just said. I was stupid and did a bad thing there. I’m sorry…

On a serious note
    Lets hope we F**king smash the mackem scum on Sunday.
    I’ll be very pleased. If we lose get ready for a rant. Ofc it will be after the real Doomongers have left, because they just post irrelevant c.rap

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Yo….Throw enough potch at the wall and eventually something will stick. I should probably leave now, it’s unlikely to get any better.

Deadpool….Don’t most owners do the same? If you have the chance to triple your “investment” (and whichever way you want to look at it, they kind of are investments), then you would likely sell. There are of course questions over when and the long term benefit to the club, but with that sort of scale, I’m pretty sure that player would be a goner from most clubs.

• Rozzy

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Why is it we are willing to spent £8-12 million on strikers but only around £3-5million on a defender when our defence is clearly our weak point. When was the last time we had a strong all round back 4. Newcastle have challenged the top clubs a number of seasons in the past 20 years but always fall short. The clubs who do progress and stay at the top always have a solid defence. We’ve had strikes as good as the top clubs strong midfield with depth and quality keepers but as defence goes it always seem if Newcastle can bring in on good defender that will do.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Super….Good save there mate…you took it it the edge of no return and pulled it back just in time. Was planning a cuddle attack for a second….close shave some might say. I am a forgiving ruler, but please don’t test me again.

Not to try and counteract my arrogance (even if it was intended as a joke)…..Nope, can’t do it.

I hope it’s a convincing game, have some doubts as it is derby day and anything can happen. Should win it, let’s hope we do. If not, might need to take a little holiday – how long do you think it’ll take to calm down? 2020 when Quasi has predicted some silverware?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Rozzy….It is a reoccurring theme at the toon. Surely this hasn’t escaped those at the top…..

To be fair though, our captain cost a bit more than £2-3m, so maybe we’re just waiting for the right defender. I wonder if he’s even born yet? 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Before anyone gets the wrong idea about this post I am in no way comparing us with the likes of Man U but using their transfer policy as an example,they have just paid a fortune for RVP when they could have had a secret(illegal)meeting with him and have got him for free or next to nothing in January,in that time they may have lost a lot of ground to Man City and Chelsea without his (RVP) goals,us on the other hand can probably get Douglas for a couple of million cheaper in January,where in that time because of a lack of defensive cover we could well be in the wilderness come January when I believe we should be pushing for at least a repeat of last season.

• Super Magpie

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I’m not going to predict anything, because like you said, anything can happen. I think if we get them under pressure early and get a goal, it will silence the stadium and they’ll bottle it again.
    Hoping for a win, would take a draw if we come from behind. Anything less and I’ll be more than disappointed.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Jail…Why the need to start with a disclaimer?

Good job you’re not likening us to Man U, they’re useless, just ask the blogs oracle.

In theory, you’re probably right. They have taken a gamble and whilst many predicted it wouldn’t pay off, I doubt they expected to lose RTaylor, STaylor (although they should of with him tbh), Colo and even Krul to an extent. Considering, we have done reasonably well, although, with extra cover, probably although not definitely, we would have done better. I suppose the difference is, Mike is simply not willing to pay for the what if’s and would rather miss out due to not spending than be left missing out after paying for something which is not really anymore guaranteed. Not sure I’ve made my point well there, heck, not even sure I have one. I’m hoping the more I write, the less people care and the less chance someone will pull me up on my ramblings. No more bullying, I will win by boring people in to submission!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Super…How very sensible. You sure you support the toon? I’m keeping an eye on you.

• Dannyo

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’ve always understood it as value for money. Every deal we’ve done represents that and there’s various fees in all those deals.
    Only Obertan has come out bad where we’ve spent money imo.
    But AP thought he could get the best out of him.

• tarie4

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Jail for Ashley

If van persie stayed at Arsenal till the contract ran out, man U probably would have not gotten him, his wages would have been sky high mate.
    RVP was premier league proven Douglas is not. He might have come here and flopped big time, or he might have been a hit (who knws)
    What I am saying man U knw what they were getting (Premier league proven) ours with Douglas was a risk, and at 5-6 mill in the last year of his contract. Just didn’t add up.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Dannyo…Couldn’t you afford to give us a “thinks” rather than a “thought” in there?

• tarie4

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ibizatoon

haha was about to say the same, I still think we can get the best out of oberton, hope he is a late bloomer like

• Dannyo

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

@ibiza
    Haha, insert whatever u see fit mate, i’m still hoping for Obertan to suddenly unleash the beast within, but that hope dims every match he plays so far…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Dannyo and Tarie…When his inner squid comes out it will be beautiful. Mark my words!

Well, it’s been a pleasure, we’ve covered pirates, incoming players, outgoing players, the clubs management, ownership, chips, sunderland and now squid. My work here is done.

Until next time fellas.

• mattyNUFC

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

still think we should be looking at other targets. not impressed by Douglas and though he’s decent, i think pardew is indicating Debuchy will not be coming in if it is anything near 8mil

i agree with the transfer policy. there’s no two ways about it we should have had suitable back-up targets like we were assured the board had in May of this year. I also find it hard to believe said back-up choice would NOT have improved our back line when the options we’ve had come in have failed to live up to last year bar Perch, I thought has been outstanding at CB. Cant go back in time though and we can’t coerce MA or DL to care about our club at the same level 99% of us do. The only thing we can hope for is that Pardew does his job and turns this around. a loss against the mackems will definitely, for the first time since Pardew’s introduction before we played Liverpool, cause some serious, serious division amongst the fans

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Is Marco Reus out of the question ? 🙂

• Wandering Geordie

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Re comments about Cb’s brings me back to the times of crap centre backs and my hatred of the one and only Glen keeley…Christ he was atrocious…Thinking about him now is making my stomach churn.

• tarie4

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Big Pappa Cissé

He isn’t worth 11 mill more like 30 mill already and increasing

• Tonytoon73

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Sorry to say but Pardew is f@cking idiot. One minute we are happy with the purple and won’t sign anyone. Now we might sign a big signing. FFS stop listening to lamearse. Slimy twat.

• 89Norcal

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM

@mattyNUFC, A loss to the scum would tick alot of people off, but I’m not sure a schism is in order. We are 2-3-2 as it stands which is remarkable for the horrible football we’ve been playing and injuries we’ve had.

I for one will be considerate of the fact AP hardly ever has a consistently healthy back line that can get some experience together, and he’s juggling a volatile situation with Ba and Cisse. Meanwhile while we limp around with injuries, teams like Sunderland have improved their team dramatically over the summer.

• beefman13

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Matty, so there maybe be a mutiny and torch carrying if the unthinkable happens on sunday, sack the board i havnt heard that one for a while, im surprised at you, not a pop at you, im just surprised quite a bit that you should say that, i thought a few other lemon suckers on here might have said that sort of thing.

all over not bringing a centre half in, colo and saylor WILL be back maybe Krul as well.

I wonder how the boro supporters are feeling at this moment i bet thats all they had to worry about a bloody centre half yawn yawn yawn,.

super owner steve gibson, yet another one who financed above the clubs income.

lets be thankful that we are not them cos they could be down their for years to come like a lot said we would.

They havnt got the lickings of a dog, they are buying players from the likes of the other boro, NUNEATON.

The boro is just a reminder of the way our club could have went, can we be at least a bit thankful that we are in europe and have some very very good players as well.

Pardew should be a million miles from getting any stick at the toon for the job he has done.

• bollance

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Well this is good news.

So we have pretty much gone from not signing anyone to possibly signing an £11m player in about 10 days. The nufc roller coaster.

Maybe we have moved up a level and are not looking around in the £5-6m bracket.

Bigger money, bigger risk. But then again bigger reward if the player reaches their potential.

• Tonytoon73

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

beefman, would you work for lamearse? That is why i am calling pardew an idiot, having to beg off a casino manager for money for players who has not got a clue about football.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Is it any coincidence that this has been said no longer than a week after the Wonga deal ?

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

HOT NEWS
    Ibiza pulls splinters out of his bum as he climbs off the fence.

“The releases are to try and control expectations and to gain the upper hand with future transfer dealings. The summer turned out to be harder than expected, so the chaps are trying to regain some control. Never take anything our car salesman MD says, whether positive or negative, as gospel. He can’t lie straight in bed that man.”

One of yer best posts m8 … sorry no smiley that BandB really got to me…

• mattyNUFC

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

never said anything about sacking the board, beef man

let’s wait to see what happens though. if we lose do you really not expect this blog to turn into some dissenting void?

on the CB issue….i tell myself i’m over it but let’s be honest here; we’ve needed one for years….yeah, that won’t be solved so we’ve got to work with what we’ve got but if we’re being pragmatic, i think it’s safe to say saylor was not the rock he was in the first 11/12 games of last season. colo for that matter has contributed a few blunders to the cause as well. he’s still a class above most but willo is just as reliant on either saylor or colo for a solid performance, so too is colo. his pace is nonexistent so for him to succeed he needs to saylor a la 2011 to get stuck in for him. saylor, given he’s only played a few games, has looked a shadow for his hard tackling, astute game-reading self of last year

our back line has been a problem for ages. just hoping january can sort it out bc i feel, even with a full-strength defence, it is still our weakest link

89Norcal

only at NUFC would we call a selection headache, an advantage we’ve been screaming out for for years, as ‘volatile’. it’s only as bad as pardew makes it and he’s made it quite bad when these guys should have been selected with the greater scope of the team and results in mind, not folding to their own wants and desires and incorporation for incorporation’s sake