O’Neill Talks About Being In School Yard With Pardew

We all remember Martin O’Neill and Alan Pardew squaring up to each other in last season’s derby game at St. James’ Park and reminded us of how some of us used to behave in the school yard – when we were 10 years old.

Alan Pardew and Martin O’Neill in the school yard

I remember those times fondly – whoops – I shouldn’t have said that. 😀

We know just how passionate these derbies can be, and Martin O’Neill has gone through a number of Rangers Celtic derby games when he was manager of Celtic, so he know all about the passion in these games.

Both managers have said they will try t control themselves better on Sunday and they should too – and be better examples in the heat of the moment.

This is what Martin said yesterday in his press conference:

“Obviously I hope there wouldn’t be a repeat of that, if at all possible,” ‘In the heat of the moment things can happen. Since then I have spoken to Alan Pardew on a number of occasions, but particularly to say to him well done on being Manager of the Year.’

“It was not particularly edifying. These things can happen on the spur of the moment, things that you can be very embarrassed with and annoyed with yourself afterwards. I hope maybe we have both learned a lesson from the previous encounter.”

“Our first aim is to be, at the very least, the best team around here. No 1 at the very least.” “I have been involved in a number of derbies, none bigger than Glasgow, but for intensity this is up there with the best of them. “

“You just don’t want to let people down. My assistant Steve Walford spoke about the intensity immediately after the game at St James’ Park. He felt it was the same as games we had with Rangers at Celtic Park.”

The argy bargy was initiated when O’Neill accused Newcastle’s coaches of visiting the referee at half-time, after a hectic first half, when Sunderland were the better team.

And Martin did the ultimate put down – he turned down Alan’s offer of a glass of wine after the game – sacrilege.

We look to both managers on Sunday behaving themselves on the touch-line.

And to Newcastle getting all 3 points – of course.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Dannyo

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Old firm holds nothing against the North East battle!

• NUFCWill1986

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Hwtl

• cestriasteve

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Dannyo, I will be there on sunday and having lived in Glasgow for 3 years up till 2010 I can tell you that our derbies definitely pale into insignificance when it compares to the old firm, the actual stadium rocks and it seemed to have got worse in the last yeari was there . And as for the city centre afterwards its run for your lives !! scary stuff.

• archaeomag

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

At least Alan dresses like a manager, O’neill dresses like a down & out player, perhaps he imagines he might have to play!

• steveno7

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Im sorry dannyo i agree with blogg no3.
    its not quite as intense.
    Other than glasgow there is no better derby.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Archeomag
    O’niel along with rodgers are possibly to of the most boring drips in the league atleast patds shows dome passion!

Steveno7
    So does that mean were now top derby seeing as the old firm will now be nothing more tgan pre season friendlies?

• steveno7

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Yes thats right tads .
    Bless them jocks gettin relegated ha ha

• steveno7

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

U look at the scouse and the manchester derbies and u seen blue and reds sitting together .
    Whats that all about
    could u imagine a toon fan sat next to shi#* on sunday .
    Im damn sure i cant .

• Ian Magpie

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Go back to the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s before the birth of Sky football and the Premier League and our Deby WAS right up there with the Glasgow derby! I kid you not, I have seen both grounds home and away bouncing, my first was on New Years day 1980. I was 9 years old, clinging to a fence in the Gallowgate when Tommy Cassidy scored a screamer to make it 3-1 and the ground went mental!!! I can still here the noise when i close my eyes!

Modern football with all seater stadiums has ruined matchday atmospheres and our derby is no exception! I dont want a return to the bad old days of crowd violence and back in the day it was run for your lives at times! I once saw a Mackem held by his legs off the Tyne bridge!!!!!!!!!! Not good! However, I do want to be able to stand without being told to sit down. I want to stand in a home end like i use to and i want what the Germans have got!!! If they can do it why not us??? After all its just been proved that it was bad policing and fences at Hillsborough and not standing! Let us stand and the amazing atmosphere will return!

• Banbridge Mags

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

“I have been involved in a number of derbies, none bigger than Glasgow”
    Anyone remember the last north east manager who made light of this fixture by comparison against a certain milan derby?
    hope he gets the boot for that one like Gullit did!!!