O’Neill – We’ll Take Our Lead From Newcastle – A Strong Side

Martin O’Neill hasn’t been in the Sunderland job long, and he hasn’t yet had time to put his mark on the team, but if his past history is anything to go by, we should see Sunderland become a much stronger side in the months and years ahead.

Martin O’Neill – thinks – how can I make Black Cats as good as Newcastle?
Answer – very difficult – hence the pained expression

And Martin has paid Newcastle United and Alan Pardew some compliments today, as he said Sunderland could do a lot worse than take their lead from Newcastle, who have a strong physical side with a top strike force, and individual brilliance as well in the form of a certain Hatem Ben Arfa.

This is what the Sunderland manager told the local press today:

“We should take our lead from them in that sense – it was an exceptional season,” “This time last year I wasn’t working, I was looking at it from afar and when the results were coming in on a Saturday and Newcastle were going strong. I probably felt like a lot of people that they will do well to keep it going.”

“But they kept it going, they had a few hiccups along the way but managed to fight back again in big games when they weren’t playing well. That is a sign of a half-decent side. So they deserve all the accolades they have got.” “It’s not to diffuse any situation – that’s how I view it. Alan Pardew won manager of the year and he deserved that, so it was a terrific effort.”

“It should give us the type of lift we are looking for here.” “Our aim at some stage or other is to at least be the best side in this part of the world and if you are a better side than Newcastle and they have continued to make progress it must mean you are doing okay.”

“I’m unable to give you an assurance that we wouldn’t be second best on the day against Newcastle.” “They’re a very fine side, they’re strong, they’re physical and they can mix it with the very best. They can go long if they want, they have ability in the middle of the field and they have a young dribbler – Hatem Ben Arfa – who can go past players at will.”

“So they’ve got a mixture of it all.” “I thought Manchester City were a physically strong team – particularly when you see them in the tunnel versus some of our lads – and Newcastle are every bit as physically strong as them. They have proved they are one of the best strike forces in the league. They are strong, they can score goals.

“They might not feel as if they’ve been as prolific this season but the season is really still in its infancy.” “As for us, we have Steven Fletcher and Fletcher and Fletcher! He’s the only one scoring goals for us at the minute.”

Putting aside the passionate rivalry between the two clubs, we’ve always said that it would be great if both Newcastle and Sunderland could have great sides at the same time – with of course the proviso that Newcastle finish ahead of Sunderland in the Premier League and we hammer them a couple of times each season – of course.

The Tyne-Wear derby then would be a game watched keenly in England and also around the world, given that the Premier League is becoming so popular all over the place these days.

We know this probably goes against conventional wisdom in Newcastle, we know this goes against conventional wisdom in Newcastle – but it would be terrific for the North East area.

Of course that’s in the future, and we have to hope we can get all 3 points tomorrow, and that some of our top players turn up for this game, and put in a great performance, and at least make up for the bitter disappointment last time out against Manchester United.

Howay The Lads!!
Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• archaeomag

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Poor old Martin is a martyr to Constipation . .

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Steven Fletcher or Demba Ba? Hahaha!!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I’ve always kind of disliked MON tbh, has done pretty well wherever he has gone, but something just bugs me. Have top say though, decent enough interview and he has gone up in my estimation a bit. However, I should note by taking the scum job he went sooooo far down, that he’s not even close to where he started.

Let’s put it this way, he’s no agent Bruce.

• WWYCD

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Don’t harbour any ill will towards Sunderland but I really don’t like O’neill, horrible approach to the game and seems a right helmet when things aren’t going exactly his own way

Even his mind games are lifting

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

MON
    The biggest drip in the PL and most biring man to ever land a commentary job!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yo…There it is. Written proof

“Don’t harbour any ill will towards Sunderland”

Back in the box, but this time I’m throwing you off the Tyne bridge.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Oh dear, tads is about. Remember all, stick together, he has a bit of a reputation this one.

Brace yourselves.

• WWYCD

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Ibiza
    Search the archives fella ull find worse than that from me haha only thing I can have against Sunderland is geography and am not that good on geography so I don’t really care

I don’t see them as a rival

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ibiza
    Try it all you want i had enough of you bullying me with optimism from atop your fence!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Yo…To be fair, we should be helping the poor b*st*rds out. Forget Invest in Africa, what about Invest in Sunderland?

No trawling needed, I know what a despicable person you are.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yo
    Thats because there not rivals that would suggest they coukd actually rival us at something, poor buggers are just webb footed whipping boys!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

tads…I think you’ll find that from my fence I bully with indifference.

My bashing with optimism days are on hold. I have grown lazy and complacent. Now could someone fetch me an iced tea and sun cream.

• WWYCD

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Ibiza
    Haha exactly we should be taking pity on them not the pi$$ out of them!
    And least I am honest 😉 and proud to be a horrible man 😀

toonarmydownsouth
    Very true mate very true haha though if they are the whipping boys whats brough?

Seriously though I only care about Sunderland 2 times a year other than that if I see them win I take more the North vs South line tbh

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Come on Stevie lad. Such a diplomat, love the guy.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Asked whether he would ever consider playing for Sunderland, Taylor added: “I would rather collect stamps than stick on that shirt!

“I have not got any friends who are Sunderland fans. As for the players, I am friendly with one or two of them from the U21s, but that was before they signed for Sunderland!”

• archaeomag

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Careful lads – you can get into serious trouble saying bad things about minority racial groups and the diffidently intelligent.
    Remember – It is not their fault – they were born that way.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

archaeomag….You’re right. Don’t need any rights groups hunting us down.

If I donate a collection of books, would one of you local lads visit some of them and teach them to read them? We can make a difference to their lives, as let’s be honest, long term, they’re not going to benefit from their football ‘team’, so reading would be a good start.

• TOONALE

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

If we start off like we did against MU, we will get stuffed .
    At times we are at least a yard slower than the
    other teams, we need to get a move on from the start.

• archaeomag