The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sunderland vs Newcastle – Match Preview

7:53 pm, Saturday, October 20th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 60 Comments

Newcastle have made only a decent start to the season, not great, and we are 6 points off the pace the lads set last season, which is just one more reason why we need to take all 3 points at the Stadium of Light tomorrow afternoon, to jump-start our season.

The good news for Newcastle is that we will be close to our best side tomorrow with Fab Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Tim Krul and Danny Simpson all likely to start the game.

Newcastle have Ryan Taylor, Haris Vuckic out for the season,  and Dan Gosling out until the new year with serious injuries.

Everybody else should be fit and well for tomorrow’s game,  and we expect Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager to name the following side:

Krul
Simpson Coloccini (c) Taylor (S) Santon
Ben Arfa Tiote Cabaye Gutierrez
Cisse Demba Ba
Subs: Harper Perch Williamson Ferguson Anita Obertan Ameobi(Sh)

Shola Ameobi has scored seven Premier League goals against Sunderland in his 12 appearances against the old enemy, and could even start the game tomorrow – and certainly the Nigerian born striker will play some part in tomorrow’s game – maybe coming on to get the winner in the second half?

We’ve been a little surprised at how good Shola has looked this season, and these days the big striker seems to be using all of his vast experience up front for Newcastle.

And it seems that Danny Simpson will be charged with marking the man who Alan Pardew says could be the danger man for Sunderland – James McClean.

This is what Alan had to say about Simpson:

“Danny’s a good player. He’s sort of under-rated by our fan base, but his defensive work’s important.”

“If I look at Sunday, and if you ask all our fans who they’d like to play against McClean — who we know is a handful — and they’d probably all pick Danny, because, defensively, he can deal with a wide player.”

McClean missed Ireland’s World Cup qualifiers with Germany and the Faroe Islands because of a hip problem, but he’s expected to start the game tomorrow.

Stephen Fletcher will be another man Newcastle will need to watch closely tomorrow, since he seems to score Sunderland’s goals.

Both sides are coming off a defeat of two weeks ago before the International break, and of course will be wanting to win the game for their fans.

One big key to the game tomorrow is that Colo and Steven Taylor can come back in,  as though they’ve never been away,  and keep it very tight at the back for Newcastle.

We also have to hope that our two strikers Cisse and Ba can convert any chances they get, and the same goes for Shola Ameobi, who could again become an important player for Newcastle tomorrow.

Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye need to be in top form, and Cheick has to control himself, as he’s once again picking up far too many yellow cards.

For Sunderland, former Newcastle defender Titus Bramble is doubtful for the game and Lee Cattermole is suspended – which is a pity because this lad always loses his head in these emotion packed games.

Phil Bardsley, as well as James McClean, are expected to be included in the squad after both seem to have recovered from injuries.

We must try to get the win tomorrow afternoon, which is really what we want to see, but we’d be happy enough with a point we suppose – kind of.

What do you think – and let’s know what your starting eleven would be.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Match Preview · Newcastle News · Other News

60 responses so far ↓

• 1 Gateshead-Mag // Oct 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

early preview edd

suppose the derby is built up for weeks

TOON TOON!!

• 2 Graeme // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Good will always triumph over darkness and the stadium of plight will witness the truth tomorrow!!

Benny to score 2 in a 3-1 win – wouldn’t that be the perfect way to end the week lol

• 3 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I’m in the mood, watching youtube clips as we speak. Let’s have them!!!

My thoughts on tomorrow for anyone interested :) -

• 4 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Benny and Shola….

Hope Simmo does a good job too

• 5 Slank // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The team looks good except I would prefer Shola instead of Cisse because of his track record against the unwashed.

It will not be pretty, it never is.

• 6 WWYCD // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Simmo nearly chinned potato face last time round so Id expect the same battle between them.

Is Johnson likely to play? I heard he was meant to be on the bench rather than starting or was that just a rumour?

• 7 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM

WWYCD

I’ve heard the same, Pardew said he thinks he’ll come on as opposed to actually starting.

• 8 WWYCD // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Carryingcoals
    Wouldnt mind that being true, who is likely to play in his stead then? Larson? Sess? I dont know much about their squad

• 9 check the toastie // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Gotta say if Pardew plays Jonas LM it will be interesting how many postions the lad gets through in 90 minutes, i will guess at 3 maybe 4.

We will start 442, then move to 433 then slowly evolving into a 4231 then maybe going back to a 442, finishing the game with a 343 chasing the game.

Our performances this year have been so bad its incredible, the same again 2moro and we will get beat, which is amazing considering how shit the scum are currently.

• 10 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

WWYCD

Well, Colback is an option too. Larsson has been playing CM a lot and there’s also Gardner. However they have injuries at the back, meaning Gardner might go right back again.

If Johnson doesnt play the midfield 4 could be McLean Colback Gardner Larsson. Sess ahead – number 10 role, Fletcher upfront.

I think our team is more obvious than theirs though.

• 11 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

check

It’ll be interesting to see how Jonas plays. I think he will be on the left in the 4-4-2 but it’s a game where I’m not bothered about him failing to get up the pitch and provide in this one, his workrate will be invaluable tomorrow.

I’ll be interested to see if Fergie features at all, he has had a little injury but might have shaken it off and could feature second half…

• 12 WWYCD // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Carryingcoals
    Ah cheers mate I didnt know much of that very interesting. Quite glad Sunderland are so light on the wings, Fletcher is good but Sess has done very little this season also happy their back four have issues might give us a break with our forward line failing to click thus far

As with all our games like this its more about keeping 11 players on the pitch than anything else. Tiote, Cabs, Simmo and Saylor are all worries for sendings off imo

• 13 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

WWYCD

Yeah he’s been sub standard this season so far, Sessegnon.
    No goals or assists.

And I agree about the players you’ve listed – we seem to be due a sending off in this fixture. I think the lads will do a professional job tomorrow though. Slight inkling we can sneak the win…

• 14 nimo // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

#nervous

• 15 Graeme // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Carrying – a sending off tomorrow would be no real surprise and if Tiote plays like he did in his last two games, he will be favourite to go in the first half.

Just hope Pardeau has got Mr T’s head in a good place, he’s been kept away from raw meat and takes to the field as Mr Cool, Calm & Collected. Leave the sending off’s the the unwashed would be the best option!!

• 16 Baro // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Tomorrow derby day is a must win….
    We need to be on our A game…

I m going for 2-0 NUFC!

Ba…2 goals

I think Ed’s formation is spot on…

• 17 nimo // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

in fairness tiote did no wrong again man u think the ref had it in for him from the start n the only way he could book him was his over top reaction… yeah he was late on cleverly but that weren’t as bad as made out Just the press protecting van persie and man utd

• 18 davybtoon // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

My head says 5-1 the toon and my heart says 3-0 so either way am happy if that happens

Goin aswell buzzing

• 19 beefman13 // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

If you are going to go 442 as Ed has us then surely if fit you play fergie on the wing for the supply of crosses, jonas is still is a bit dodgy in that area as we all know.

The two up front need service from wide to be productive playing together.

• 20 connor_nufc // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Pardew better start ameobi tomorrow or il not be a happy man

• 21 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Neither side in form are they. Sunderland got a real bounce when O’neil came on board, top of the “form” table for a long time and we had that big finish last season. It all seems sometime ago. That team spirit that Pards keeps talking about, to be frank, not seen it this season. Could be a tight scrappy game.

Jesus as I write this, I’m realising the post I wrote yesterday was full of excitement and optimism, now this circumspection, how long to kick off, I’m an emotional wreck.

• 22 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

jaw

Keep the faith! I know what you mean though, the nerves are creeping in

beef

Fergie has had a niggling injury. We will need Jonas tomorrow. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was man of the match without creating anything in the final third.

I know what you mean about service, but we still have Cabaye and Benny and lets not forget Jonas and Tiote are still very capable of passing the ball!

Jonas will revel in a game like this, he will provide the required pressure in the middle and will give everything. Also his canny ability to win a freekick could be just what we need at times!

I would like to see Fergie introduced at some point though but his fitness is a doubt.

• 23 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Shola is the perfect impact sub nowadays. 20 mins of real quality when needed. On from the start in the league he’s looked flat by comparison, I don’t think you’ll see him start in the Premiership again, if the others are fit. Last twenty minutes at Sunderland, with him warming up at regularly to whip up the crowd.

• 24 Marty-Toon // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Bardsley is always good for a card too,maybe he can get two of em tomorrow ;-)
    Would like to see us play well and dictate a game and get the win.
    Hate the feeling when we get beat and play rubbish.
    Glad if Collo and Sayls are back along with Krul

• 25 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Agree on Shola but would give him 25 mins, especially if Cisse is as quiet as he has been. Collo being back will give us that calmness and organisation at the back that has been lacking in his absence. He also feeds our midfield better than Willo or Perch so hopefully Cabaye n HBA see more ball to their feet. Tiote needs to keep a lid on his wrecklessness and his recently acquired tendency to give the ball away. I think if we score first n we will win.HWTL

• 26 MagpiesFlyHigh // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM

It’s about time Cisse converted and let’s hope he gets his finishing touch back tomorrow…

• 27 davybtoon // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hate cattermole but I think he’s gonna b a huge miss for the scum tomorrow, which hopefully means we can dominate midfield

• 28 archaeomag // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

@Carryingcoals 3

A great preview, well written and detailed; a good place to read about the opposition without having to go anywhere embarrassing.

• 29 Marty-Toon // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Watchin Barcelona v Deportivo live
    Barca were 0-3 up within 20 mins now it’s 1-3
    Amazing football they play throughout the whole team.
    No lumping the ball around,lots of movement and one touch football.
    You can see on the faces of depor payers that it’s gonna be a long night

• 30 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I would love to see HBA score one of his wonder goals at the stadium of sh!te tomorrow. Followed by an o.g. and then big shola heading one in at the back stick. Well, I’m allowed to dream, aren’t I?

• 31 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Toonacious
    Nout wrong with that would love to see a benny 25 yard rocket but tbh i dont care who scores as long as we beat the scum!

Carrying
    Great article as always!

Quick question if wilo scores his first goal and the winner tomos does he go from adequate back up to toon legend??

• 32 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

archaeomag

Thanks a lot, glad you appreciated it.

Fletcher is obviously the main worry but we need Simmo to perform against McLean he will have a go at him all afternoon.

marty

I was watching a bit before, Jordi Alba is sensational.

• 33 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

TADS- no harm to the lad coz he tries his best but I’m hoping Willo doesn’t see any game time tomorrow tbh coz it probably means Sayls or Collo have had an injury relapse.

• 34 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

tads

Cheers mate. Willo will always be a toon legend, just because he infuriates Kets so much ;)

What is your prediction for tomorrow?

• 35 beddersmag // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Lots of nerves creeping in but stay positive. This season we have had lots of players unfit and out of form- but class is permanent. We have also played spurs chelsea everton and man utd already. That wasnt an easy start. We are about to start showing our class by sweeping aside one of the leagues also ran’s. Would like to see shola start but think he and fergie will be late subs. We got their number though. Cattermole means we will boss the midfield and win the game by two goals for me

• 36 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Toonacious
    Very true! Maybe perchinio with the winner then ;)

Carrying
    Went for 3-1 scrappy first half but an onslaught in the second with ba benny n shola fingers crossed!

• 37 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

tads

I’d love it. I hope our players surprise us, come out the blocks racing and have the better half of the two sides. Not necessarily be winning even, but I just want to see us start a lot more positively and if we can get a first half goal then great.
    I’m sick of us letting ourselves down with a poor first half!

I do feel we have a lot of quality though, Benny and Ba have the ability to win it for us.

• 38 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

WTF is Taylor bothering saying about none of the Sunlan players getting in our team. The retirement bit is funny, but he’s a stupid tool for giving more motivation to them. He never struck me as a bright lad, now he’s just confirmed it, even if I love the retirement dig, and the fact that none of his mates support the mack and tacks. No doubt Pards will go 4-4-2 tomorrow, and we will probably have a crap first half. I predict 2-2 , Shola and Ba . Mackem bastards, and even as an Irishman, gotta say, O Neill is an annoying turd.

• 39 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I’m pleased Simmo is back. He’s a very good one on one defender and we’ll need it against the ugly ging on the wing.

• 40 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Oh I know a mackem tackem, he lives down by my way ….

• 41 darrenfletcher88 // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Am going for 2-1 to the toona,will be so close,and we will have to ride are look at times but we will come through

• 42 Magpie from Lithuania // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Guti knows how to defend as well, and is on par with Simpson IMO, but his workrate and flexibillity is bigger bonus. i would have this team tomorrow:

—————————Krul————————–

——————Colo———Saylor—————
    Santon—————-Tiote——————Jonas

————–Cabaye————-Anita————-
    ————————-Ben Arfa——————–
    —————-Cisse————-Ba——————

or

—————————Krul————————–

——————Colo———Saylor—————
    Santon—————-Tiote——————Jonas

——Ben arfa——–Cabaye————-Fergie

—————–Cisse————-Ba——————

• 43 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Carrying
    Aye were so slow at the start its untrue lets hope we really take the game to them tomorrow

• 44 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Christ I’d love a Broon now.

• 45 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Actually , the quality of the game hardly enters into it for me. Regardless, I’ll be so wrought emotionally I’ll be too oerwhelmed to notice. It’ll just be 90 minutes of high anxiety, punctuated by unbridled mania when we score and abject mortification if we concede.

• 46 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Carryingcoals
    If our lads put in as much effort as u did writing that article n we will be alright amigo. Fair play to ya lad. Great read. I think Rose will defo play tho n agree Fletch is the real threat. Got a feeling Collo will be immense tho.

• 47 nimo // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

can’t believe some of people on here are back to simmo bAshing.. not been know for a while n been reading through posts.. we looked so much assured when he was back at the back the other week.. he kept there turd at bay last game n seems to get up for the derby games

• 48 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I left Newcastle when I was a kid, so the first thing I did when I returned of drinking age, was head into a pub on Scotswood Road my great grandad once ran and ordered a broon. What a f@#ken disappointment! ‘orrible stuff, how do they get away with it. It’s famous the world oer and tastes like watered down treacle. C’mon, it does.

• 49 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

nimo
    So what your saying is that Simmo keeps turds at bay like an anorexic?

• 50 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Toonacious

Haha, cheers man. I think they’ll score, as you say with fletcher being the key threat. Hopefully we can just score more.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks

• 51 dazza // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM

British Bulldog Pub 6:30 AM for any of you’s in Denver, CO.

Come on TOON!

• 52 nimo // Oct 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

either that or i couldn’t remember cleans name.. and that was the only insult that i could think of that was family friendly lol

• 53 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Nimo- gave me a laugh anyway, so cheers

• 54 connor_nufc // Oct 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

If we start with cisse and ba 2moro we will lose. they dont work together. give shola a start , he deserves it more

• 55 Toonacious T // Oct 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Congratulations to Chris Hughton on getting a win over the arseholes today. Shola won’t be starting I don’t think Pards would risk playing him from the start for the first time in the league this season in the derby game. When he brings him on it should be for Cisse as Shola seems to link with Ba best.

• 56 Carryingcoals // Oct 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

For anyone who was on earlier when kets was talking about Boyce – I have got to admit, that was a class goal.

Also Kone for Wigan looks like a carbon copy of Henri Camara who used to play for them, he’s even got the wristband!

• 57 daffy // Oct 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM

SAFC 2 nufc 0
    HAWAY ME BONNY LADS !

• 58 Mister Tuff // Oct 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM

alarm/klaxon
    TURD ALERT
    TURD ALERT

• 59 Toonacious T // Oct 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Putting SAFC in caps doesn’t make it sound any less sh!te.

• 60 daffy // Oct 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

F..k the mags

previous post: Who Could Become Newcastle’s New Hero Tomorrow?

next post: Newcastle Linked With £16M Striker To Replace Demba Ba