There were many positives Alan Pardew could take out of yesterday’s performance at Sunderland, and here are just five that shows Newcastle may be back to their best form, now they have some top players back in the side.
Yohan Cabaye after scoring Newcastle’s goal after 3 minutes
Here are the five positives:
- Fabricio Coloccini had a majestic game on his comeback to the team, and we have really missed this player. His calm and cool play at the back had Alan Pardew comparing him to the great Bobby Moore after the game – such was the dominance of the Argentine’s performance yesterday. Now we need to keep Colo fit for the rest of the season, because he makes a colossal difference to the Newcastle defense and to the Newcastle team – a world-class performance yesterday from the Newcastle captain.
- Tim Krul came back into the side yesterday and didn’t have too much to do in truth, but he looked a good and confident goalkeeper for Newcastle. Tim did spill one ball in the second half, but he made a good recovery and this lad has grown big time in stature over the last couple of seasons, and it looks like he is now the Dutch number one goalkeeper – it was great to have Tim back between the posts yesterday
- Mike Williamson has been turning in some good and competent displays recently, but he has his critics on Tyneside. His recent good form got him the nod over a fit again Steven Taylor yesterday. Mike did give away the free kick that led to Sunderland’s late equalizer but he had a very good game yesterday, and finished 5th in our voting for Man of the Match.
- The back four put in a strong performance when the lads played over 65 minutes with just 10 men, but all four – Simpson, Williamson, Colo and Santon – played well, and they were a little unlucky to concede the late equalizer – but when we have all our players back the defense is a good one – we just need better cover - and maybe two will arrive in the January transfer window.
- Yohan Cabaye is at last showing his great form of last season, and he put away his chance yesterday in great style for his first goal of the season, and only the third player to score in the league for Newcastle this season. Yohan has received a lot of recognition since he joined Newcastle, and after the game he said it was the best goal he has scored for Newcastle so far in his career on Tyneside – we hope it’s a long one.
Which other positives could we add to that list?
You can also reach Ed at email@example.com