Magpies Take These Five Positives Out Of the Sunderland Game

There were many positives Alan Pardew could take out of yesterday’s performance at Sunderland, and here are just five that shows Newcastle may be back to their best form, now they have some top players back in the side.

Yohan Cabaye after scoring Newcastle’s goal after 3 minutes

Here are the five positives:

• Fabricio Coloccini had a majestic game on his comeback to the team, and we have really missed this player. His calm and cool play at the back had Alan Pardew comparing him to the great Bobby Moore after the game – such was the dominance of the Argentine’s performance yesterday. Now we need to keep Colo fit for the rest of the season, because he makes a colossal difference to the Newcastle defense and to the Newcastle team – a world-class performance yesterday from the Newcastle captain.
  • Tim Krul came back into the side yesterday and didn’t have too much to do in truth, but he looked a good and confident goalkeeper for Newcastle. Tim did spill one ball in the second half,  but he made a good recovery and this lad has grown big time in stature over the last couple of seasons,  and it looks like he is now the Dutch number one goalkeeper – it was great to have Tim back between the posts yesterday
  • Mike Williamson has been turning in some good and competent displays recently, but he has his critics on Tyneside. His recent good form got him the nod over a  fit again Steven Taylor yesterday. Mike did give away the free kick that led to Sunderland’s late equalizer but he had a very good game yesterday, and finished 5th in our voting for Man of the Match.
  • The back four put in a strong performance when the lads played over 65 minutes with just 10 men, but all four – Simpson, Williamson, Colo and Santon – played well, and they were a little unlucky to concede the late equalizer – but when we have all our players back the defense is a good one – we just need better cover  – and maybe two will arrive in the January transfer window.
  • Yohan Cabaye is at last showing his great form of last season, and he put away his chance yesterday in great style for his first goal of the season, and only the third player to score in the league for Newcastle this season. Yohan has received a lot of recognition since he joined Newcastle, and after the game he said it was the best goal he has scored for Newcastle so far in his career on Tyneside – we hope it’s a long one.

Which other positives could we add to that list?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Dannyo

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Can we all agree that by that display, Collo had a thing or two to teach the best defenders in the world?
    Cause the man was impeccable.

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Again all good points however we are still going to be without the true grit in our heart for the next 3 pl games.

I assume Tiote will now pay in the Europa campaign until he has served his sentance but who replaces him in the PL? Perch, Anita or Bigi?

• Spuggy

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Had a good look at the game tiote definitely unlucky was being fouled badly and as a result was off balance when he went for the ball.

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I think he will look for Anita to step up to the mark, certainly for home games, because of his ability to retain possession.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Yo….For me, Perch is really useful on the bench. He can come in to so many positions depending on what’s needed (although, I suppose he could do that from the field also). Not sure Anita is ready for overly physical games yet, but should be starting. Bigi has shown he is ready to jump in when called upon. Pardew has a tough call. I’d be quite happy with any of the three.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Oh no…Munster and Yo…..how will I cope with the negativity?

• Spuggy

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We can’t rely on one player if we loose collo or tiote we should have quality replacement in such key defensive positions – I hope we spend some wonga in jan and get those players that will help us push on 🙂

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ibiza
    Aye I agree on all points but I worry with Bigi’s age is he ready to start a PL game yet but I suppose only one way to find out.

Have a feeling Anita will now get a chance in the spot he wants to play and with a fully fit back 5 he may be able to more easily adapt to the speed of the game

And let the negative energy reign my friend

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ibiza, the only negativity I have is with Asheys lack of summer investmen on the back of 5th place , and I think that will be improved in January. What justification do you have for the negative label – or are you slavishly copying mutton headed Beefman, who is too stupid to read my posts in full, and understand the totality of my point of view, rather that the bits he chooses to comment on? I’d expect more from you Ibiza but hopefully you’re being tongue in cheek?

• BigKirky

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Perchy’s best position for me is where he was yesterday. Defensive midfielder patrolling the line in front of the defence. You are always taught to stay on your feet pretty much all the time, but when he does slide, he’s usually very good at it. Quite impressive actually. Maldini esq sliding at times.

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Munster
    He’s just taking the p lad because we were both metaphorically spanked for being so negative the blog would bleach us from its halls if it was possible

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Munster….Proof that my posts without smileys are often mistaken 🙂

I was only playing based on what I perceive as false labels for both you and WWYCD.

Yo….He is a young lad, but seems up to the challenge. I would expect Anita to get more playing time in Tiotes absence, this is what he was bought for….I think.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Correction…I was only playing about you Munster…Yo is as dark and twisted as a neggar can be 😉

• Jonny

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Collocini best CB in the league? WIthout a shadow of a doubt.

• toonLYF

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Colo in practice didn’t actually do anything spectacular, however it was a positioning masterclass which meant Sunderland were only going to score from a moment of quality (which didn’t come), or a mistake from us (which sadly did).

It was a stunning performance from our captain, and it’s pretty simply, there’s not a better centre back in the league than Coloccini on his day. Keep this man fit, and we go from being a top 8 side to a solid looking top 6 one. It’s that simple.

Genius Colo, f-ing genius!

• toonLYF

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I hope Ashley is ready to fork out in excess of £20m to replace Colo in a few seasons time, as that’s what it will cost, at the very least!

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Ibiza
    Aye I think Anita is an all round back up to all our CMs tbh Jonas, Tiote and possibly Cabs. I would like to see more of him in the PL if he has beefed up a bit more

Let Bigi play in Europa for a bit longer, for me anyway

• nufc 11

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Yes Colo was excellent, thud we lost some attacking threat at RB wen we move moved santon bk to LB, Ba looked gud aswel with cabaye i duno is it jst me but i thud tiote tackle wasnt that bad ive seen worse getting yellows, S.taylor worries me as a CB, for all his faults Willo is a better CB otherwise very unlucky not to win…

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

YO
    In all honesty i think tiote is the one area we have plenty of cover in with anita perchinio( your double 😉 ) bigi and jonas all capable of playing there!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

LYF…I imagine the club will be bringing in younger with potential before then with the idea of one of them being able to take his place when he does finally call it a day.

Yo…Seems a sensible way to go forward.

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Aye true we have cover there but none at the level of Tiote, not yet anyway, so any of them are going to be a gamble and could force to formation to be altered

What games is Tiote going to miss? I know West Brom but haven’t a clue on the other two

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Has everyone had a nice cop of coffee today? What about you Ibiza up there in the crow’s nest 😉 lol

…Yo, I assume you take it black 😉 or dark! lol

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Jesper
    Haha keeps me alter in order to keep a keen eye on the fat man at the top 😉 and his little gnome friend 🙂

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Yo
    WBA bindippers and West ham

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Jesper….I’ve had several, thanks for asking.

Yo….Liverpool (a) and West Ham (h)

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Ah cheers mate all of them tough games. West Brom are flying atm, West Ham are units and very direct then there’s Liverpool who love a game against us

Tough times ahead haha

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thank you chaps! Can I just categorically state my position on a number of issues ( and some other random rubbish ) so that I am not thrown into the negger pit forever.

1. I am really pleased with developments at the club for that last few years.
    2. Not having blokes like Owen and Marcelino on our payroll is great.
    3. Ashley and |llambias are improving.
    4. However I feel that they need to invest very soon, as we have the nucleaus of a strong side. Selling a “purple” and replacing hgim with two exciting french kids does not cut it for me. The french kids ( as it were ) , need to be a cornerstone of ongoing development, not a substitute for senior buys.
    4. I have always like Pardew
    5. His 4-4-2 v 4-3-3 issue worries me a little. However I am not anti 4-4-2 per se – it certainly didnt harm us against Everton, and depends on having the right personnel.
    6. I hate Mackems, but I reservce every right to hate Smoggies as the beautiful english girl to whom I lost my virginity ( yesterday! ) was swiped by a nasty Smoggie, who happened to be a better on the dancefloor than me ( and I was tidy, and still am , oh yeah baby )
    7. Ashley and Llambias retain the capacity to sh1t all over the clubs heritage for the sake of small money , and have no class whatsoever.
    8. However I’d rather be with them than against them.
    9. The people who kept telling me all summer that we would invest well were incorrect, and should be big enough to admit it.
    10. It beeds to be restated that that English bird was a total honey and this Irishman got in her pants ahead of a bone headed ex member of the British Army, who tried to scare Munster Mag but munstermen dont scare easy, and are fantastic in the sack, obviously.

So pleased with yesterday 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Ibiza…I know it can be a hassle every time you need to get down from the nest 😉

Yo…I have been taking it black the last few days (Ibiza says I have to sweeten it a bit ;)) lol

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

YO
    West brom are very much one of our ‘bogey’ teams always seems to be a tough match

Bindippers in quiet up for there on bad form especially at home and with only that little rat suarez up front i fancy it plus perchinio spent last fixture beating up gerrard all over the pitch!

West ham were at home fat sam will be getting booed and hissed for the full 90 fancy that too

• Mackems are from MORDOR!

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Really hope Shola the Mackem slayer charged down that tunnel and gave Tiote what for as he cost him a certain goal!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Munster Mag…this is for you (you can google translate it) 😉

“Somme somme tider
    Ville jeg ønsker jeg ku’ li’ dig
    For det er lettere end at elsk’ dig
    oh oh oh oh
    Ka’ du stadig sangen?
    Vi engang skrev sammen
    Med fingerspil på stranden
    oh oh ouuuh

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Du er lissom solen
    Går aldrig af mode,
    Men nu regner det på kloden
    oh oh oh oh
    Mit liv er acapella,
    For du stjal min ven, ja
    Fra alfahan til beta
    oh oh ouuuh

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    E lo sai che io canto ulalala
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Hun tog mit gear,
    Mit guitarlir,
    intet tilbage
    Men hvert hjerteslag,
    Er hva’ du stjal

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.”

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Munster
    Are u saying u lost ur viginity yesterday? Or am I miss reading? Seems a odd thing to come out with but good for u if its to be taken how I read it haha

Jesper
    Best way to take on the world my friend haha

Toonarmydownsouth
    WBA, Liverpool and Hammer less depends on them more on us imo if we play like we can on form confident of atleast 7 points but if we continue with how we have been playing this season 3

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Munster…Thanks for the 10 point dossier. I will review this with the categorising team and come back to you. I feel your points about being great in the sack will certainly help your case.

On point 9 – I did think there would be more action, overall though, i don’t think it was a bad window. Could have been better? Definitely.

• numba9

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

should have had a pen soon after our lion was sent off, ref spoilt a good game

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Jesper…Something about guitars?

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

YO
    Its says alot about how teams are coming on i terms of quality when you look at those fixtures and fancy liverpool the most!!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Ibiza..yes it is someting about guitars 🙂 lol…but more metaphorically!

It is about a girl; a girl who broke his heart, took his guitar and everything they had together 🙂

…it’s an odd to Munster Mag and his encounter with the smoggie girl 😉

• WWYCD

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Haha I know how times change eh, imagine not so long ago thinking Liverpools main outlet would be a teenager who can’t keep it in his pants

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Jesper…I see. In that case, metaphorically speaking, my song would be whilst my guitar gently weeps….

• Raj

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I’m sure we would take some spirit away from that game for the next three tough ones to come.. WBA can be very difficult, L’fools get their season kicking all the time with us (lol) and Hammers have the right attitude atm. I would love to see two wins and a draw out of that.

If only Tiote wouldn’t have reacted, considering his reputation.. 10 points from 8 is bit deflating, especially seeing the f@%$%g Blues start the season so well this time around. 🙁

Cisse would be raring to go I hope, this was a much-needed benching for him. Back 4 is back!! Hope Benny and Cabaye start firing before they are skimmed off in the next window..

Here’s hoping to the best.. Cheers.. HWTL