The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Magpies Take These Five Positives Out Of the Sunderland Game

10:30 am, Monday, October 22nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 119 Comments

There were many positives Alan Pardew could take out of yesterday’s performance at Sunderland, and here are just five that shows Newcastle may be back to their best form, now they have some top players back in the side.

Yohan Cabaye after scoring Newcastle’s goal after 3 minutes

Here are the five positives:

• Fabricio Coloccini had a majestic game on his comeback to the team, and we have really missed this player. His calm and cool play at the back had Alan Pardew comparing him to the great Bobby Moore after the game – such was the dominance of the Argentine’s performance yesterday. Now we need to keep Colo fit for the rest of the season, because he makes a colossal difference to the Newcastle defense and to the Newcastle team – a world-class performance yesterday from the Newcastle captain.
  • Tim Krul came back into the side yesterday and didn’t have too much to do in truth, but he looked a good and confident goalkeeper for Newcastle. Tim did spill one ball in the second half,  but he made a good recovery and this lad has grown big time in stature over the last couple of seasons,  and it looks like he is now the Dutch number one goalkeeper – it was great to have Tim back between the posts yesterday
  • Mike Williamson has been turning in some good and competent displays recently, but he has his critics on Tyneside. His recent good form got him the nod over a  fit again Steven Taylor yesterday. Mike did give away the free kick that led to Sunderland’s late equalizer but he had a very good game yesterday, and finished 5th in our voting for Man of the Match.
  • The back four put in a strong performance when the lads played over 65 minutes with just 10 men, but all four – Simpson, Williamson, Colo and Santon – played well, and they were a little unlucky to concede the late equalizer – but when we have all our players back the defense is a good one – we just need better cover  – and maybe two will arrive in the January transfer window.
  • Yohan Cabaye is at last showing his great form of last season, and he put away his chance yesterday in great style for his first goal of the season, and only the third player to score in the league for Newcastle this season. Yohan has received a lot of recognition since he joined Newcastle, and after the game he said it was the best goal he has scored for Newcastle so far in his career on Tyneside – we hope it’s a long one.

Which other positives could we add to that list?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News · Yohan Cabaye

119 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Can we all agree that by that display, Collo had a thing or two to teach the best defenders in the world?
    Cause the man was impeccable.

• 2 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Again all good points however we are still going to be without the true grit in our heart for the next 3 pl games.

I assume Tiote will now pay in the Europa campaign until he has served his sentance but who replaces him in the PL? Perch, Anita or Bigi?

• 3 Spuggy // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Had a good look at the game tiote definitely unlucky was being fouled badly and as a result was off balance when he went for the ball.

• 4 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I think he will look for Anita to step up to the mark, certainly for home games, because of his ability to retain possession.

• 5 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Yo….For me, Perch is really useful on the bench. He can come in to so many positions depending on what’s needed (although, I suppose he could do that from the field also). Not sure Anita is ready for overly physical games yet, but should be starting. Bigi has shown he is ready to jump in when called upon. Pardew has a tough call. I’d be quite happy with any of the three.

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Oh no…Munster and Yo…..how will I cope with the negativity?

• 7 Spuggy // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We can’t rely on one player if we loose collo or tiote we should have quality replacement in such key defensive positions – I hope we spend some wonga in jan and get those players that will help us push on :)

• 8 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ibiza
    Aye I agree on all points but I worry with Bigi’s age is he ready to start a PL game yet but I suppose only one way to find out.

Have a feeling Anita will now get a chance in the spot he wants to play and with a fully fit back 5 he may be able to more easily adapt to the speed of the game

And let the negative energy reign my friend

• 9 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ibiza, the only negativity I have is with Asheys lack of summer investmen on the back of 5th place , and I think that will be improved in January. What justification do you have for the negative label – or are you slavishly copying mutton headed Beefman, who is too stupid to read my posts in full, and understand the totality of my point of view, rather that the bits he chooses to comment on? I’d expect more from you Ibiza but hopefully you’re being tongue in cheek?

• 10 BigKirky // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Perchy’s best position for me is where he was yesterday. Defensive midfielder patrolling the line in front of the defence. You are always taught to stay on your feet pretty much all the time, but when he does slide, he’s usually very good at it. Quite impressive actually. Maldini esq sliding at times.

• 11 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Munster
    He’s just taking the p lad because we were both metaphorically spanked for being so negative the blog would bleach us from its halls if it was possible

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Munster….Proof that my posts without smileys are often mistaken :)

I was only playing based on what I perceive as false labels for both you and WWYCD.

Yo….He is a young lad, but seems up to the challenge. I would expect Anita to get more playing time in Tiotes absence, this is what he was bought for….I think.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Correction…I was only playing about you Munster…Yo is as dark and twisted as a neggar can be ;)

• 14 Jonny // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Collocini best CB in the league? WIthout a shadow of a doubt.

• 15 toonLYF // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Colo in practice didn’t actually do anything spectacular, however it was a positioning masterclass which meant Sunderland were only going to score from a moment of quality (which didn’t come), or a mistake from us (which sadly did).

It was a stunning performance from our captain, and it’s pretty simply, there’s not a better centre back in the league than Coloccini on his day. Keep this man fit, and we go from being a top 8 side to a solid looking top 6 one. It’s that simple.

Genius Colo, f-ing genius!

• 16 toonLYF // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I hope Ashley is ready to fork out in excess of £20m to replace Colo in a few seasons time, as that’s what it will cost, at the very least!

• 17 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Ibiza
    Aye I think Anita is an all round back up to all our CMs tbh Jonas, Tiote and possibly Cabs. I would like to see more of him in the PL if he has beefed up a bit more

Let Bigi play in Europa for a bit longer, for me anyway

• 18 nufc 11 // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Yes Colo was excellent, thud we lost some attacking threat at RB wen we move moved santon bk to LB, Ba looked gud aswel with cabaye i duno is it jst me but i thud tiote tackle wasnt that bad ive seen worse getting yellows, S.taylor worries me as a CB, for all his faults Willo is a better CB otherwise very unlucky not to win…

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

YO
    In all honesty i think tiote is the one area we have plenty of cover in with anita perchinio( your double ;) ) bigi and jonas all capable of playing there!

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

LYF…I imagine the club will be bringing in younger with potential before then with the idea of one of them being able to take his place when he does finally call it a day.

Yo…Seems a sensible way to go forward.

• 21 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Aye true we have cover there but none at the level of Tiote, not yet anyway, so any of them are going to be a gamble and could force to formation to be altered

What games is Tiote going to miss? I know West Brom but haven’t a clue on the other two

• 22 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Has everyone had a nice cop of coffee today? What about you Ibiza up there in the crow’s nest ;) lol

…Yo, I assume you take it black ;) or dark! lol

• 23 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Jesper
    Haha keeps me alter in order to keep a keen eye on the fat man at the top ;) and his little gnome friend :)

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Yo
    WBA bindippers and West ham

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Jesper….I’ve had several, thanks for asking.

Yo….Liverpool (a) and West Ham (h)

• 26 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Ah cheers mate all of them tough games. West Brom are flying atm, West Ham are units and very direct then there’s Liverpool who love a game against us

Tough times ahead haha

• 27 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thank you chaps! Can I just categorically state my position on a number of issues ( and some other random rubbish ) so that I am not thrown into the negger pit forever.

1. I am really pleased with developments at the club for that last few years.
    2. Not having blokes like Owen and Marcelino on our payroll is great.
    3. Ashley and |llambias are improving.
    4. However I feel that they need to invest very soon, as we have the nucleaus of a strong side. Selling a “purple” and replacing hgim with two exciting french kids does not cut it for me. The french kids ( as it were ) , need to be a cornerstone of ongoing development, not a substitute for senior buys.
    4. I have always like Pardew
    5. His 4-4-2 v 4-3-3 issue worries me a little. However I am not anti 4-4-2 per se – it certainly didnt harm us against Everton, and depends on having the right personnel.
    6. I hate Mackems, but I reservce every right to hate Smoggies as the beautiful english girl to whom I lost my virginity ( yesterday! ) was swiped by a nasty Smoggie, who happened to be a better on the dancefloor than me ( and I was tidy, and still am , oh yeah baby )
    7. Ashley and Llambias retain the capacity to sh1t all over the clubs heritage for the sake of small money , and have no class whatsoever.
    8. However I’d rather be with them than against them.
    9. The people who kept telling me all summer that we would invest well were incorrect, and should be big enough to admit it.
    10. It beeds to be restated that that English bird was a total honey and this Irishman got in her pants ahead of a bone headed ex member of the British Army, who tried to scare Munster Mag but munstermen dont scare easy, and are fantastic in the sack, obviously.

So pleased with yesterday :)

• 28 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Ibiza…I know it can be a hassle every time you need to get down from the nest ;)

Yo…I have been taking it black the last few days (Ibiza says I have to sweeten it a bit ;)) lol

• 29 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

YO
    West brom are very much one of our ‘bogey’ teams always seems to be a tough match

Bindippers in quiet up for there on bad form especially at home and with only that little rat suarez up front i fancy it plus perchinio spent last fixture beating up gerrard all over the pitch!

West ham were at home fat sam will be getting booed and hissed for the full 90 fancy that too

• 30 Mackems are from MORDOR! // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Really hope Shola the Mackem slayer charged down that tunnel and gave Tiote what for as he cost him a certain goal!

• 31 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Munster Mag…this is for you (you can google translate it) ;)

“Somme somme tider
    Ville jeg ønsker jeg ku’ li’ dig
    For det er lettere end at elsk’ dig
    oh oh oh oh
    Ka’ du stadig sangen?
    Vi engang skrev sammen
    Med fingerspil på stranden
    oh oh ouuuh

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Du er lissom solen
    Går aldrig af mode,
    Men nu regner det på kloden
    oh oh oh oh
    Mit liv er acapella,
    For du stjal min ven, ja
    Fra alfahan til beta
    oh oh ouuuh

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    E lo sai che io canto ulalala
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Hun tog mit gear,
    Mit guitarlir,
    intet tilbage
    Men hvert hjerteslag,
    Er hva’ du stjal

Du knuste mit indre
    Og tramped’ på mit ydre,
    Da du gik uden videre

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig

Hun tog mit guitar guitar
    Og alt hvad vi har, vi har
    Kom nu gi’ mig, gi’ mig
    Alt tilbage, kom tilbage til mig
    Voglio che mi dai la gitarra.”

• 32 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Munster
    Are u saying u lost ur viginity yesterday? Or am I miss reading? Seems a odd thing to come out with but good for u if its to be taken how I read it haha

Jesper
    Best way to take on the world my friend haha

Toonarmydownsouth
    WBA, Liverpool and Hammer less depends on them more on us imo if we play like we can on form confident of atleast 7 points but if we continue with how we have been playing this season 3

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Munster…Thanks for the 10 point dossier. I will review this with the categorising team and come back to you. I feel your points about being great in the sack will certainly help your case.

On point 9 – I did think there would be more action, overall though, i don’t think it was a bad window. Could have been better? Definitely.

• 34 numba9 // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

should have had a pen soon after our lion was sent off, ref spoilt a good game

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Jesper…Something about guitars?

• 36 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

YO
    Its says alot about how teams are coming on i terms of quality when you look at those fixtures and fancy liverpool the most!!

• 37 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Ibiza..yes it is someting about guitars :) lol…but more metaphorically!

It is about a girl; a girl who broke his heart, took his guitar and everything they had together :)

…it’s an odd to Munster Mag and his encounter with the smoggie girl ;)

• 38 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Haha I know how times change eh, imagine not so long ago thinking Liverpools main outlet would be a teenager who can’t keep it in his pants

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Jesper…I see. In that case, metaphorically speaking, my song would be whilst my guitar gently weeps….

• 40 Raj // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I’m sure we would take some spirit away from that game for the next three tough ones to come.. WBA can be very difficult, L’fools get their season kicking all the time with us (lol) and Hammers have the right attitude atm. I would love to see two wins and a draw out of that.

If only Tiote wouldn’t have reacted, considering his reputation.. 10 points from 8 is bit deflating, especially seeing the f@%$%g Blues start the season so well this time around. :-(

Cisse would be raring to go I hope, this was a much-needed benching for him. Back 4 is back!! Hope Benny and Cabaye start firing before they are skimmed off in the next window..

Here’s hoping to the best.. Cheers.. HWTL

• 41 bills-son // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Munster @ 27 – good post, and yeah we shouldv’e invested more in the summer. But, if the players we want aren’t available at the price we want to pay it’s a tough call. I’ve said before, our transfer polocy has worked brilliantly but it is frustrating at times.

• 42 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ibiza…that would apply to I guess :) (and since it is the Beatles and in English would probably be easier for Munster to grasp ;)) lol

…Did you ever get around to the Raveonettes or do I have to send some up the flagpole?

• 43 bills-son // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Might have been mentioned before …

Ba is our top scorer … and 5under1and’s second top scorer :)

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Jesper…I meant for me, not munster. By his accounts, there wasn’t any weeping….unless you want to be crude :)

I did check out the raveonettes and enjoyed it. But if you want to send someone up anyway, ask them to bring me a coffee and a little snack.

• 45 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Bills-son….That is an entertaining stat.

• 46 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Ibiza…sory I meant that it would apply for Munster :)

…I am Danish, english is only my second language (you should see my German) :D lol

…for you my friend:

• 47 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

To clarify re the virginity issue, no I didnt lose it yesterday ( I wish – would mean I’m a lot younger ! ) but many moons ago. Also, she wasnt a smoggie ( she was a Yorkie actually) but she dumped my sorry young ass for a Smoggie, the little cow. Oh well, it means my son will now understand Munster rugby and still be a Toon fan ( first Toon shirt to come for Christmas ) , two overwhelmingly good things. Jesper thank you for the poem! PS without wishing to talk rugby, do you know that Munster once beat the mighty All Blacks when they came to Limerick?

• 48 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Ibiza…not the weeping, but the metaphor ;)

…I’ll send someone up! Cafetiere coffee and bastogne?

• 49 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ibiza…but I see what you mean now that I read your post again (never said I was fast by any account) ;)

• 50 Colo-Sus // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Whats happened to Marveaux BonnnnyyyyLeeeeeeeed???

• 51 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Munster..I have to say no to that! :)

…Go Munster!

• 52 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Bloody hell, Fat Sams lot are doing well. Maybe we should have kept him ? Not.

• 53 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Colo-Sus – My take is that in his last game he didnt put the shift in and with Pards that’s your starting point, shame though as he has quality there.

Well what did we learn yesterday. We have good players and look to be finding some form and Blunderland…………..are shit – Simples

• 54 toonLYF // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Ibiza – Sounds more likely, although it’ll have to be one hell of a potential to justify being Coloccini’s future replacement.

Rafael Varane is the only young centre-back i can think of who has that rare blend of incredible technical attributes, coupled with the positioning and awareness of a top centre back.

Although Colo was a late developer i guess.

All i know is, whoever replaces him needs to wear a great big curly wig, otherwise i’m not interested :D

• 55 Tsunki // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Tiotes absence is no problem apparently – I was ridiculed yesterday for not seeing the obvious point that his disciplinary record does not affect us, in fact it makes him the best DM in the league, so good that he doesn’t even need to play. What an unreal exchange that was. Getting sent off was harsh but inevitable, now we need anita bigi and perch to hold that position.

Forgot to congratulate cabs on a fine goal and terrier display. Colo – need I say anything? No.

• 56 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Tsunki…Tiote missed half of our games last season do to ACON, injury and suspentions… :-)

• 57 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Okay I need some lunch and coffee :-D

• 58 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM

As much as we ridicule Cattermole for being a thug and a liability on the pitch, if we take our black and white specs off Tiote’s record suggest the same unfortunately.

• 59 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Munster Mag- my hands are clean!! When around I make a point of reading your posts. Your football related points suggest you know the game. Your not Beefman who tends to preach rather than persuade.
    Anyway in initially reflecting on the game I was bitterly disappointed but today I feel that for the first time this campaign we played like a team that finished 5th last season. Defensively we functioned as per early last season and as a unit superbly marshalled by Coloccini. I think from club management angle that we disagree really on the time scale and implementation of an expenditure programme. As to your other pointers and assertions I ‘ll leave others to tackle-lol.

• 60 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Munster- I agree with the Anita and possession point. Anita should play alongside Tiote. A short passing style of play stemmed yesterday from Coloccini and Anita would aid Tiote ‘s frustrations by being a vehicle to transfer the ball. It’s the dwelling on the ball that has caused his troubles of late not helped by poor movement off the ball. Yesterday was like a flashback in time and I view it as a good reason for optimism whether cheque book opened or not.

• 61 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Cheers Ian, when you say timescale what do you mean? I assume you are more patient than me but if we invest in Jan I’ll be happy. We looked a much better side than that crowd yesterday and hopefully we can move on to better things now. Tiote and Cabaye being fit and on form is vital to us – we have to get Cabaye further up the pitch I think, but Tiote has been pretty poor all season and I honestly dont think he could be valued at more than 15 mill at present, but I dont think he’s fit and its affecting his mentality ( as Wenger would say ) on the pitch.

• 62 Pushy Pardew // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Ian Toon
    Trust you to be around when we play like a proper team again. When Tiote departed thought we were in for blood sweat and tears. But Sunderland are woeful there was a time when Sessegnon looked a buy but he and Fletcher didn’t feature. Williamson did enough
    to be given a run.

• 63 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I think we really do have to look at a pacey player on the left. Its asking too much from Santon and whilst I like Guti, he creates so little these days. I have criticised Santon a lot defensively and really do believe those were valid points when you watch him closely. He is getting better though and is some athlete. Wouldnt be surprised if Man U came chasing him next year as Evra is i slow decline I think. Sod off Fergie.

• 64 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Incidentally, whilst Sunderland have covered themselves in sh1t ( a normal thing for a mackem to do ? ) with their nasty song and racist, I have to say our Saville song was disgusting, but we seem to have gotten away with it from the media.

• 65 5Danny94 // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I think the best decision Pardew could make would be to play Cabaye and Gutierrez together in the middle, with Fergie out left. I don’t think Jonas can hold on to the left-hand side much longer. He doesn’t offer much going forward, and whenever he got the ball in the Sunderland half he didn’t have the pace to do much with it. But his stamina, work-rate and commitment are invaluable to the team, and I think he would make a decent centre-mid – especially since he bulked up. He could also keep an eye on Fergie and Santon, and drop down to cover when either of them bomb down the wings. He could even play in a 4-2-3-1 with Perch, Anita or Bigi – if Pardew wants to control the midfield a lot more. I love Jonas, but I think Pardew’s insistence to play him as a left-winger severely limits our attacking options. Centre-mid is the best place for him.

• 66 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Munster – I am looking for season on season improvement in the strength of the squad. As we saw yesterday some players are more important in our development. I have long thought that Tiote provided the vibrancy and energy to win the midfield. However we might have to manage without him going forward . Pardew favours 4-2-3-1 and that will come into being given a playing squad to make it happen. HBA gave the ball away when a few short passes would have got him out of trouble. Pardew really doesn’t want to play long and wants to cut out mindless free kicks. I don’t want to speculate on January transfers without consulting with Ibiza on the If’s and but’s of the window.

• 67 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Pushy- hiya sport. Always planned to be back for Mackem, Brugge and WBA games. Good that we showed the class but was surprised how negative they were against 10 men. Said last night that I would have given Obertan a run earlier through the middle.

• 68 Pushy Pardew // Oct 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ian Toon
    Hope that does kick start our season. Ba was the best choice up front as he battled in a way Cisse wouldn’t have. You could have taken off HBA and pushed Obertan through the middle. HBA’s best work was
    covering back. Thought you were over generous on Simpson because he’s not a threat going forward. Santon is looking a really polished performer and would be even more so in 4-2-3-1. Off to gym.

• 69 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Ibiza- hiya mate. Pushy nicks all my best material. Just remember I am deadly serious about everything. I just knew that a smiley would be your downfall. Very impressed with BandB and her references to Mrs Fezziwig out of a Christmas Carol-LOL. Is it only the Mackem variety that you have a way with. Glad you managed to survive the international break from your lofty perch.
    Jesper- what happened to your positivity we outclassed the Mackems.!
    Tiote should have gone as Shearer mentioned on MOD. There was intent and he was nowhere near the ball.
    Pushy- just remember your only as bright as the genius you plagiarise.
    Loved your Fagin to BandB. This is a football blog but you managed to get herm Aphrodite into a conversation with Taquilamag. Your not a one trick pony – as with dog’s and fleas. How did you know he was a dog lover-LOL.

• 70 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Ian , are you deffo about the 4-2-3-1 , with I assume Tiote and Anita in the holding roles. Are you aware of this through the training regime etc? Also, if Pardew doesnt like long ball, why are we considered the longest ballers in the league according to the Sunday Times? Also, what is your best 4-2-3-1 formation given a fit squad? Cheers dude.

• 71 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The highlight of the day for me was watching James Perch clatter Mclean with one of the best tackles I have seen since Scott Parker on Joe Cole :) and the NUFC supporters then singing

” We’ve got Perchinho ”

” We’ve got Perchinho ”

Brilliant :)

• 72 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hiya Ian,

Hope you had a nice break. My downfall? Behave :) Missed the Fezziwig reference, or perhaps it just went over my head. BandB when discussing football, was indeed well informed. What I objected to was the stance on the use of smileys – imo a little pathetic, but life goes on.

Who couldn’t survive the international break with all those fine players getting together to bring pride to England….

What do you mean by ” Is it only the Mackem variety that you have a way with” seems with my downfall I’ve lost my ability to understand peoples posts.

• 73 jackson0022 // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Frankly speaking, I still think the red card for Tiote was harsh, though it was a bad taste tackle, I thought he was influenced by the push that was behind him. If he was to sent off, the Mackem should also deserve a yellow, or Tiote a yellow only. Yet, I think yesterday’s derby was one of the best displays recently for us, even when we were inferior in terms of number of players, we still manage to give some threats to them and demonstrated excellent morale not to give up (or they have no excuse to give up I guess), just a bit out of luck. A draw is already very acceptable for 10 men team~ I hope the lads can keep the morale there, so that whenever we are in plight we can still fight back instead of giving up.

• 74 5Danny94 // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I thought it was our best league performance of the season. The first 20 or so minutes reminded me of the West Brom game last season, where we went in at half time 3-0 up.

I loved the little triangle in the box between Cabaye, Coloccini and Jonas (?) in the second half. Calm, composed, beautiful :D I think Le Tiss compared us to Barca… one of the few good things he said about us…

• 75 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Ian…Thinking about it, I’m guessing your referring to the web footed girl at the beach? A fruitless endeavour as I never bothered to meet up with them again. Everything happens for a reason…I guess this one was so I could look at myself in the mirror (Smiley).

• 76 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

JACKSON -It was harsh but he gives refs a decision to make as he flies in with no control. He is a liability in my view and his disciplinary record backs this up.

Im suprised Demba isnt getting more of a mention, i though he was terrific yesterday with his closing down and holding the ball up against 4 mackems

• 77 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hotdog…..I mentioned that about Ba yesterday. Thought he did really well up my himself (and not even a full team behind him). It was always going to be a big ask but he battled away and didn’t drop his head. Not sure why people weren’t happy with him. Completely understood why Pardew took of Shola over Ba.

• 78 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Sorry, not yesterday but earlier today

• 79 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hotdog
    Demba was immense yesterday and it baffles me that ppl want this lad gone and claim he’s a mercenry just because he doesnt want to play on the wing!
    The boy is world class and an out and out CF and is wasted on the wing and has proved that this season his hold up play and battling was phenominal yesterday didnt stop running!
    So unlucky to get the own goal he and we didnt deserve that

• 80 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Ibiza – You Ok bud you seem to talking more jibberish than usual ;-)

• 81 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The ref did have a shocker though, he must be from pennywell! Did anyone see at the start of the 2nd half cuellar when through the back of ba on the edge of their box and didn’t get fouled, then 5 minutes later santon committed an almost identical foul and that time he did give away a free kick. The best one was when ben arfa was holding back someone, full on tugging on his arm and yet we somehow managed to get the free kick!

• 82 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Well i didnt get much chance to read the posts on here yesterday but if people were having a go at that performance from him, well call me a Mackem ffs

• 83 WesJameson // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Like i said in an earlier thread…..

We played 65 minutes of football 12 vs 10, this isn’t because i’m a TOON fan, but that was one of the worst “reffing” displays i have ever seen in my 20 plus years of watching football

I thought Ben Arfa, was robbed the whole day, by blatant shirt pulling, not to mention the tackle on Ba in the second half, where he was hacked from behind, not even awarded a foul

I’ll say this a million times more…NO WAY IN HELL IT WAS A RED CARD!!! not yesterday, not now, not EVER!!

• 84 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Newcastle made a great leap forward last season and the consolidation that we have made since seems almost like treading water as a result. We may not kick on this season the way many of us would like to see, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t progressing. I think Pardew is right when he says the most important thing is to keep our best players, because the club is likely to continue to invest in a steady manner with an eye set on the future. That battling performance against the Mackems, the fact we clearly do have a fine match day squad when fit and the depth and experience being gained from our Europa league campaign has given me renewed confidence in our progress.

• 85 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

rainrix – Yeah agree he was poor, some baffling decisions both ways. Having said that I have reffed a few games and it must be so hard to ref a derby game, mind you i w asnt on £33,000 base salary + £1,000 every Premiership game!!

• 86 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Hotdog….More than before? Is that even possible? Only problems I can see with my post are:

Thought he did really well up *by* himself

and

Completely understood why Pardew took *off* Shola over Ba.

Better or was it more a question of content? If so, it’s not going to get any better mate ;)

• 87 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Hotdog… Yeah im sure it is difficult to try and keep control of a fiery game but some of his decisions were simply baffling :|

Ah well Cant dwell on it too long time to to focus on brugge, is tiote banned for that one or is it just PL games. Either way i reckon its time to give anita another chance in CM.

• 88 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Ibiza – Sorry mate it was your post #75 i guess i needed to be in on that one.

Can somebody explain the Anita signing for me as i dont see where he fits in?

• 89 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Rainrix
    Tiotes just banbed for domestic games so will miss WBA(h) liverpool (a) n west ham (h)

• 90 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

rainrix – I think i would prefer bigi in CM and i guess Anita at RB but that is stopping Tavinier’s development, like i say i dont get that signing at all :-/

• 91 toonLYF // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

hotdog – I guess Pards couldn’t turn down an international level utility player for such a price. Good buy in my opinion, glad to have him here.

• 92 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM

hotdog…. When anita signed i thought that we’d go 3 in the middle with cabaye anita and tiote. Ba and ben arfa on the wings and cisse up front. Sadly we haven’t really seen this formation apart from Bordeaux where we were dominant.

I saw anita as a remedy for that problem we had last season where we would rush into a 2 or 3 goal lead and then lose control and spend the rest of the match on the back foot. Seemingly pards has just bought anita as a utility player by the looks of things :|

• 93 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM

And thanks for clearing that up tads :)

• 94 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

toonLYF/rainrix – 6.6m for a utility player mmm maybe but will Anita be happy going from first team at Ajax to utility player!

I dont think we have seen the best of this lad but cant see him starting many premier league games for us.

• 95 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

@ Rainrix

That is exactly what I thought m8. Tiote would break down the opposition’s attack, Anita would pick up the ball and then move it on to Cabaye who plays much better in a more advanced role. I just want Pardew to try it and not care what Ba’s agent says, our football other than 30 minutes against Bordeaux ( playing 4-3-3) has been average at best and needs to be changed. Those 7 wins on the spin last season were not a fluke and guess what ? , we played slick passing football with Ba, Ben Arfa & Cisse up top

• 96 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hotdog….Ah yes, now I see the confusion. I was trying to understand a comment by Ian and am waiting to see If I’d figured it out correctly – I wouldn’t ponder on it for too long.

I think Anita will come through and will turn out more than a utility player. I think he’s just being eased in, much like HBA and Santon last season. He’ll get his opportunity and if he takes it will be given his run.

Mike doesn’t spend £6m on a utility player imo. He has a future with us and by all accounts, it should be a good one.

• 97 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Team vs Brugge

Elliot
    Simmo Perch Saylor Fergie
    Tiote Gosling Anita
    Ben Arfa Shola Obertan

Should destroy them, and we then have untill sunday for West Brom
    Krul
    Simmo Willo Colocini Santon
    Anita Cabaye Jonas
    Ben Arfa
    Ba Cisse

essentially a wide 4222. easily swithcable to 442, 433, 4312 4321 etc.

• 98 Big Pappa Cissé // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM

———————-Krul———————–

–Simpson—-Taylor——Collocini—–Santon–

———Tiote——————-Anita———–
    ——————–Cabaye———————-

——-HBA———Cisse———-Ba———-

Our current best team IMO.

• 99 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hotdog… Yeah a very expensive utility player, although now that tiotes out he has to take his chance at CM if pards does play him there.

Cisse… We should play 4 3 3, we have the players and the evidence that it works. The thing i like about it is that depending on the game we could easily drop ba and ben arfa back and play 4 5 1, or push ba up and play anita/santon on the left and go to 4 4 2, unfortunately pards seems reluctant to change.

Also it’d mean we’d have to drop jonas which i cant see happening. As much as i like the guy i do think we’d play better attacking football without him. Bring him on with 30 minutes left when others are tiring and his work rate should get us through.

• 100 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hotdog
    I think anita will come good and has been earmarked to have a vital role in the squad but pards loved to ease his new lads in, look at santon, he wouldnt put him in the squad until he 100% understood what NUFC and the PL demanded from its players physically and mentally, add to that the fact he’s just had a baby (as somewith a new-born myself i can vouch for him!) and his partner still lives in holland he’s going through a massive transition personally and professionally its probably taken him time to adjust
    Given the amount of research we do on not only the way the player plays but his attitude and personality i dont think we bought him for the sake of it like

• 101 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Rainrix/BPC
    The problem i see is ba has done enough to earn that central role, hes battled fought and made space he’s held the ball up and created chances for himself and his link up play has been good
    Everyone seems to imply that ba is bieng selfish by not wanting to play wide but the lads a striker, an inform one at that, so isn’t it just as short sighted to shift our top scorer to the wing to try and get cisse on the score sheet?

As long as ba is playing like he is he should be upfront

• 102 hotdog // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Well i guess it will be wait and see with Anita, my thoughts were he was a replacement for Tiote if he has a move in the offing.

Im a bit gutted for Willamson was having a good game and then O’Shea beats him for the goal arghhhhh

Right im off – have fun folks

• 103 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I just want to send my regards from the Valley; the sun is shining and everyone are so positive here :-)

I am feeling much better already and there are dafodils everywhere; even in the wellness spa :-) and the pool!

I feel like a new person :-) so positive and at ease! Wozaa…

So what’s up for debate this afternoon?

• 104 APBWA // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Team for Brugge and West Brom….

Krul

Team for thur
    Harps
    Simmo willo saylor tav
    Obertan bigi anita fergie
    Shola cisse

• 106 APBWA // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Oh missed off Jonas, well i think we should play him mainly as a LB, and rotate him and simpson

• 107 rainrix // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Tads… True ba is our best striker atm. However i would argue that even when he was playing on the wing last season he was still getting plenty of chances to score. Even on the wing he was still getting into the box from time to time. It might even be worth trying cisse on the right wing, i remember him doing some funky wing play against fenerbanche.

I do sympathise with pards, having to keep everyone happy while getting results. Although i do believe we should play the best team for the win regardless.

• 108 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Rainrix
    True enough would love to see cisse scoring again!
    I also sympathise with pards if he starts playing ba on the wing and cisse isnt scoring then ppl will be asking why ba’s on the wing! Then also be accused of hampering fergies development!
    Its not easy bieng a manager like!

I suppose if he cant get them playing well together them he’ll have to find some way to rotate them through the games but i suppose thats what he’s paid for

• 109 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM

He had an average game, but yet again, he has cost the club 3 valuable points.

• 110 Super Magpie // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

On the subject of The Saylor chants.
    It looks like he got a few bites with his comments the other day. :lol:

• 111 Super Magpie // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Kets
    You never fail, do you?

• 112 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Not at the moment no. Everything I have said has happened in reality. If Saylor and Anita were constantly in the team, we would be in 4th or 5th place now.

• 113 Super Magpie // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Ketsbaia

I think we would be top. Those 2 players are fantastic and will win us a trophy.

• 114 wreker16 // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Kets
    No one has any respect for you anymore. Willo had to give away the free kick coz someone else lost it, Simpson was quality, he doesn’t dribble with it like santon but he does look for the pass, and he doesn’t get caught in possession, if in doubt kick it out! I don’t really rate willo that highly but you exaggerate how bad he is so much.

Also u said u were not coming back on until we were in negotiations with a player, that means u shouldn’t be on if your a man of your word. Any comment??

• 115 Super Magpie // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Wreker

I don’t anyone ever had respect for Kets. :D
    I agree that is right for Willo to foul their player yesterday. It was the free kick that we had before that caused it. I don’t get why we overloaded their box with 5 minutes left and 10 men. Should’ve given to someone who would run into the corner and waste time IMO.

Tiote cost us the win. I have no complaints about the red. He’s got away with worse things on the past and it came back to haunt him today. But I feel Larsson’s boot on Shola was just as bad and they should’ve also been down to 10.

• 116 Super Magpie // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Missed out a few words there* :oops:

Wreker

I don’t think anyone ever had respect for Kets. :D
    I agree that was right for Willo to foul their player yesterday. It was the free kick that we had before that caused it. I don’t get why we overloaded their box with 5 minutes left and 10 men. Should’ve given it to someone who would run into the corner and waste time IMO.

Tiote cost us the win. I have no complaints about the red. He’s got away with worse things in the past and it came back to haunt him today. But I feel Larsson’s boot on Shola was just as bad and they should’ve also been down to 10.

• 117 89Norcal // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

how about some credit to Perchinho? By the time he was subbed on, Cabaye and Ben Arfa were running on empty, he was all over that center midfield trying to get in the Scum’s grill. He was a good buffer between the halfway line and our boys in the back 4.

• 118 wreker16 // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Super magpie

I agree, it was tiote, rash tackle no complaints. We lost control after that. However, I don’t think this means we should sell him. Whilst I don’t think he is the best in the league (p.s I’m not getting into that “debate” of last night) however he is a class act and I don’t think he is easy to replace. Although I probably would take anything above £20 million for him

• 119 GeordieRealist // Oct 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

8 more things we learned from the derby right here…

previous post: What Do Williamson, Perchinho And Simpson Have In Common?

next post: Tiote Must Improve His Discipline – It’s Not Good Enough