This Newcastle Colossus Easily The Man Of The Match

There was only one player who could be Man of the Match for Newcastle yesterday, and that was returning captain Fabrico Coloccini, who looked better than ever on his return to the Newcastle side at the Stadium of Light.

A fantastic display by Newcastle’s Fab Coloccini yesterday

Here are the current results of the poll, which is still open, but we give just one vote per reader so the vote cannot be skewed by a few fans.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Sunderland?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Carryingcoals

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Well done Colo, what a player you turned out to be for us.

• Santon03

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM

sean – repost, sorry

Yes, Santon is way much better, one of the best fb this year.
    But the reason Johnson was ineffective wasn’t Santon alone, it was Jonas. Jonas is every fb dream.

• Dannyo

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I’ll bring this up here too.

I dont agree with it being a straight red for Tiote.

1. Altho the tackle looks dangerous, especially for the ref coming from behind, Tiotes foot is hit by (was it fletcher?) leg. Tiote doesn’t even hit him full on, it hits the side of his foot.
    2. A ref should judge an incident on the current severity of it, not how dangerous it could potentially be.
    U don’t hang a man for murder if all he did was shoplift, just cause he had the potential to kill someone.
    3. The whistle went a millisecond before Tiote stuck his leg out, so it’s kinda hard to stop then, so saying it is daft to do what he did when the whistle had already gone is, imo, a non issue.
    4. Tiote was going for the ball, and was close to get it, there was never any malicious intent.

So for me, he should’ve had a yellow and a severe warning.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Tiote 4th on the list? Is this a sympathy vote as some don’t feel a red was fair? Even so, he played 25 minutes and was definitely not man of the match…was he?

• Santon03

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Dannyo

The ref doesn’t get replays like we do, he has to make the decision straight away, I can’t blame the ref. Yes, Tiote maybe didin’t deserve a straight red, but his decission was made because Tiote did make a bad tackle + Fletcher reaction at that time.

It was a red card imo, Tiote needs to be given a red card, so he learn not to make silly tackles all the time.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Hey Ibiza, hows life?

I don’t think Tiote should be 4th on the pitch. After Colo the other three defenders did admirably well. Then you look at Jonas, Cabaye and Perch who all ran their hearts out in Tiote’s absence. A really good team performance yesterday, I think we should have won it.

• Santon03

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Ironic isn’t it? last time Sunderland player saw red because of Tiote acting like he was shot on the head.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

list* not pitch, sorry

• Dannyo

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

@santon03
    Ye, i understand all those factors, but it’s a derby game in the 27th minute.
    I reckon the ref should’ve consulted nearby linesman and 4th official at the very least.

• davybtoon

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Scum are so poor they could b in trouble this year, tiote cost us 3pts stupid tackle that he didn’t need to make

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Dannyo @ point 2
    They have to judge the challenge by the potential damage thats the law of the game

Whether or not the whistle had gone is irrelevant he was late in the challenge and he hits fletchers leg not the other way round if it was the other way round he wouldnt of been late!
    The second the ref blew most knew a red was coming

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Hi Carrying….Even though we only managed the draw, life is good, hope all is well with you too.

Read your match report – another good job.

I agree, some good displays by most of our team (Don’t think any of them had a ‘bad’ game). I think Ba has been given some (note not a lot 🙂 ) of stick, but I think he battled well up top on his own.

When I think back on this game, it wont have been two points lost, not one point given to the scum, not about Tiote’s red, but the spirit and determination from our players. Class.

Also, the passing out of trouble from the back was a pleasure to watch. Cabaye was really up for the game…at times I though he may be the next player to see red, but played it well.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I wrote yesterday that I need to clear my head because negativity was getting the best of me (hoping I would return today with a more positive approach to the game yesterday)

…it not not really working 😉 (some help please)!

I really think it was a pour effort in any way (red card or no red card). After we took the lead 3 min. in the game we were loosing the grip (maybe we should have known soneone would see red?)

After that we looked like we were 9 instead of 10 and Sunderland (don’t get me started on Sunderland). What a pour team!

I honestly think we are suffering from complecency!

…Ohh wait 🙂 Shola looked very good in his hold up play (really was a precense a those short 35 min)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Jesper….I’ve booked your ticket and you’re off on a two week spa to the valley. You will be treated to some positive and relaxing therapeutic sessions (No shock treatment – well, only tiny little ickle ones) and you will return to your once positive state. Fear not.

Joking aside, did you think we were that bad between the Cabaye goal and Tiotes red? Might have to re-watch the first 25 minutes (me not you) as maybe I was still a bit delirious from the opening goal….

I think once Tiote was off and we were down to ten men we couldn’t have asked for too much more from them. Way too risky to go all out for another goal imo, if it had been 1-1 earlier, I’m not so sure how well we would have held out. Given what a ferocious fixture this one can be, I think we handled ourselves well for the majority.

• Colo-Sus

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I was immense yesterday tbf!

Shame i got cramp, its heavy work carrying Steven Fletcher around in your pocket all day

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Ibiza…thanks mate 🙂 I think I need that (the darkside is strong and it is clouding my judgement :-)) lol

Honestly, I think Sunderland were the better team in the first 35 min. (besides the first 5 min)!

When Tiote saw red (and I still think that a harsh decision) and Pardew took off Shola we sort just parked the bus and whenever we went forward we didn’t put the unwashed under any pressure.

Of course there was some good passing and touches here and there, but I would have expected more.

What was the idea anyway of putting Obertan on? Surely Fergy should have been on cause we needed someone who could defend as well as cross at that moment in the game.

I honestly think the team let us down yesterday (if it wasn’t for the fighting instinct of certain players I would have been furious)

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Colo…Great job, whilst your on, how do you get so much volume to your hair?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Jesper….I can agree only with the Obertan sub. Apart from that I feel you’re being a little harsh. 11 men should in theory be all over 10. We held out really well and when we went forward, were clearly lacking as we couldn’t get enough men forward quick enough. Shola may have been able to slow things down, but with a yellow card so early, it’s no shock he was sacrificed. Would have loved to see Shola arrive down that tunnel to Tiote. Would normally fancy Tiote in a 1vs1, but forcing the mackem slayer to be subbed so early would not have sat well.

• Colo-Sus

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ibiza,

I approach my hair the same way I approach football, Women and life in general….

I stay cool, use my superior skill to work it to my advantage and admire my handiwork….

A little touch of cocoa butter helps mind 😉

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Colo…You are wise as you are wonderful on the pitch. All hail captain Colo!