The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

What Do Williamson, Perchinho And Simpson Have In Common?

9:57 am, Monday, October 22nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Newcastle gave a good display at Sunderland yesterday, and came away with a well earned 1-1 draw, and three of the players who made that fine performance possible were Mike Williamson, Danny Simpson and James Perch – also known as Perchinho.

Mike Williamson in action at Sunderland yesterday

And these players were brought into the club for peanuts to use Joey Barton’s description of Newcastle signings, and all three cost just £2M, and between them they have a total of 256 appearances doe Newcastle over the last three years with Mike playing 83 times, James putting in 55 appearances and Danny Simpson clocking up 118 appearances.

Williamson cost just £1M from Portsmouth – now in England’s third division after going into bankruptcy again – and James and Danny cost about £500K each from Nottingham Forest and Manchester United respectively.

All three played well yesterday with Mike Williamson edging out Steven Taylor to start the game alongside captain Fabricio Coloccini, and both center-backs had very good games yesterday with Fabricio outstanding.

James Perch came on in the first half to fill in for the sent off Cheick Tiote, and he put in another solid and workmanlike performance for the side, and Danny Simpson contained James McClean almost the whole game.

But all three are vastly under-rated Newcastle players, and demonstrate the Newcastle transfer policy over the last three years of picking up good players at bargain basement prices.

Jame Perch has improved dramatically this year, and is now so trusted by manager Alan Pardew that he put shim into games in a number of different positions when he needs to.

Mike Williamson is probably the most under-rated and when he gets a string of games he gets better and batter, and his heading ability is one of his real strengths.

And Danny Simpson is more under-rated than we had realized and he played solidly for Newcastle since he returned and looks to have quickly recaptured his right back starting position.

These three players very rarely get the headlines but all three have been terrific servants of the club in Newcastle’s amazing comeback from the second division.

Not if only Danny will sign a new contract.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · James Perch · Mike Williamson · Newcastle News

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 RonVanDam // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

The only thing our backs lack is pace apart from santon

• 2 RonVanDam // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Out of the 3, imo perch has grown in leaps and bounds

• 3 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Oh oh i know this! Is it that they all beat up kets at school took his lunch money and left him hanging from a coat hook by his tidy whiteys??

• 4 sticklebricks // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Saylor looked like he had put a few pounds on yesterday…

• 5 Dannyo // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

If anything, they certainly are value for money.

• 6 xmindcrimex // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

@3

hahaha

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Risky title there Ed, do you not read the comments section? :)

Great article and I agree with the sentiment completely. Great servants to the club and certainly do more right than wrong.

Are they world class? No. Do we need them in our squad? Yes, for now anyway.

• 8 WesJameson // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

@ sticklebricks // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

hahaha, agreed, he also looked like Perchinio/David Blain

Dark rings under the eyes, a mate of mine commented on it when he came on….hosed myself!!

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Tads….Stop bullying people. Wait, am I playing to the gallery?

And there was me thinking our group therapy session had worked wonders. You and I still have some way to go.

• 10 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Sticklebricks must be from licking all them stamps.

That pic is what lead to that free kick which we all know what happened.

• 11 eaststandgeordie1982 // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Sticklebricks must be from licking all them stamps.

That pic is what led to that free kick which we all know what happened.

• 12 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Ibiza…then maybe I should wait untill after the visit to the Valley to consult Yo ;) lol

…I honestly thought we would win ’cause Sunderland were really bad and didn’t really treaten us (maybe that is why I as so disappointed with our effort)

• 13 Levi // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

any one see jordi albas own goal v deportivo? worth a look if you havn’t it was a quility finish lol

• 14 Dannyo // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

@sticklebricks
    It’s pure muscle mate, he said so himself :)

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Ibiza
    Im suprised you could hear me from the cheap seats! Yes a long long way to go perhaps not as far as jesper but still!

Dannyo
    Of course its muscle everyone knows muscle ripples n flops about when you start running!!
    Maybe pards meant taylor had starting training again but only on fifa 13?

• 16 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Deserved article Ed

All three have done very well at NUFC, 2 integral parts of the squad and one good cover.

• 17 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

TADS…but Ibiza most see hope in me ’cause he was booked me a flight to the Valley ;) lol

• 18 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

* was = has

• 19 archaeomag // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Do they all play for Newcastle United?

• 20 toonydoonunder // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Gday fellas just watched the game down here and it really doesnt take an expert lip reader to see some of the racial abuse aimed at Demba in the first half by those unwashed scum bags ,shame they had to get another deflected lucky goal but bragging rights to the boys again . On the referee I thought Howard Webb was a chump but that gimp in black was a proper nugget today.

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Jesp
    Not so sure you maybe a lost cause!!!!

WWYCD
    Well said all three have played huge roles to get us where we are now all three have earned there role at the club

• 22 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Levi
    Was a cracking goal tbf! Not sure if it tops popovic’s though!

• 23 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

” Down in the valley, the valley so low
    Hang your head over, hear the wind blow
    Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow;
    Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Roses love sunshine, dafodils love dew,
    Angels in Heaven know I love you,
    Know I love you, dear, know I love you,
    Angels in Heaven know I love you.

Build me a castle, forty feet high;
    So I can see her as she rides by,
    As she rides by, dear, as she rides by,
    So I can see her as she rides by.

“If you don’t love me, love whom you please,”
    “Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease,”
    “Give my heart ease, dear, give my heart ease,”
    “Throw your arms round me, give my heart ease,”

Roses love sunshine, dafodils love dew,
    Angels in Heaven know I love you,
    Know I love you, dear, know I love you,
    Angels in Heaven know I love you.”

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

tads….I’m starting to lose hope in Jesper. The dark side is strong within him. On being able to hear you, we’ve recently installed a little mic system so I can pick up what the commoners are discussing, you know, so I can keep it real with them.

Jesper…There is an argument that they did threaten us, but we were solid and dealt with it well – that’s the ov brief anyway :)

• 25 Special K // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don’t know if many of you watch American sports but their media are obsessed with superstars across all sports, one aspect they analyse to death is the ability to elevate those around you to higher levels.

Coloccini is without a doubt our most important player, Ray Wilkins made an incredibly rare good point on Sky yesterday, he’s our only defender who has the composure to get the ball down and pass it out from the back under pressure. If he stays fit until Christmas I’m sure we’ll be sitting in the Top 6.

• 26 WWYCD // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    Cheers lad and I agree they all currently have a very important place in our club

• 27 jesperfuglsang // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ibiza…that’s just an argument :) lol

• 28 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Jesper…Isn’t that generally all that opinions are? Rather than be upset about something which could have proved detrimental or positive, I am happy with the overall performance from the boys and to some degree result (I did worry after the red we would lose our heads and ultimately the game). I could start complaining that HBA didn’t dribble past all of their players and score us a goal…we’ve seen him do it before, why not yesterday?

Note: I’m not suggesting I am unhappy with Benny….the kids class.

• 29 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM

They were all very poor players and were rejects from their previous clubs. James Perch has improved and is now a pretty decent squad member. The other 2 need releasing immediately.

• 30 AmericanGeordie // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Danny Simpson is very solid in the defensive third of the pitch. He gives you nothing in the middle third, and less than nothing in the final third.

He is a squad player on a top 6 club. He is the defensive cover everyone is clamouring for, if we could bring in a top notch FB.

Simpson, Williamson & Perch are all excellent examples of quality cover, but nonoe have the class to be in the Newcastle starting XI.

• 31 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Kets
    Your such a w@nker!

• 32 Ketsbaia9 // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM

A totally disagree. Williamson cost us 3 points yesterday for giving a silly free-kick away leading to their goal.

Simpson is a Man Utd, Blackburn and Sunderland reject. All he does it kick and run the ball out of play.

Pub team players are better than Willo.

• 33 steveno7 // Oct 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM

@kets ur a total wank splat.

• 34 wreker16 // Oct 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Kets
    No one has any respect for anymore. Willo had to give away the free kick coz someone else lost it, Simpson was quality, he doesn’t dribble with it like santon but he does look for the pass, and he doesn’t get caught in possession, if in doubt kick it out! I don’t really rate willo that highly but you exaggerate how bad he is so much.

Also u said u were not coming back on until we were in negotiations with a player, that means u shouldn’t be on if your a man of your word

previous post: I Can Only Take Positives From Sunderland Game – Alan Pardew