The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It Was A Fluky, Lucky Goal For Sunderland

8:36 am, Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Newcastle’s right back Danny Simpson, who has another solid game for Newcastle at Sunderland on Sunday, has come out and said the Black Cats were lucky to get the draw – and he’s right there.

Danny Simpson – lucky goal for Sunderland

One huge problem Sunderland have is that they cannot score goals, and even worse, they find it hard to create chances, and they’ve scored only 6 goals in their first 7 games, and that’s the lowest number of goals scored by any Premier League side to date.

Newcastle had Sunderland’s main threat Steven Fletcher under control almost the whole game, with Coloccini and Mike Williamson looking excellent in central defense.

So it was ironic that it was an own goal that saved Sunderland after 85 minutes, when the ball hit Demba Ba in the head and flew into the net past a helpless Tim Krul, following a right wing cross from Larsson that was headed on by John O’Shea.

This is what Danny Simpson said yesterday:

“I thought we were going to do it.” “It gets to the point in a game when you do not think you are going to concede. You feel quite comfortable. Everybody seems to be doing their jobs and playing together.

“For them it had to be something freaky like that. It was a fluky, lucky goal.”

We missed a chance to beat Sunderland with 10 men on Sunday, but when we play them again on Saturday 13th April at St. James’ Park, let’s hope it’s unlucky for Sunderland – pity it wasn’t a Friday too.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · Newcastle News

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 davybtoon // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Ppl may not agree but I hope Simpson signs a new deal

• 2 davybtoon // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Sunderland are the worst team I’ve seen season by a long way

• 3 jesperfuglsang // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Simmo, in all honesty it is not like we were creating loads of chance (how many PL goals have we scored this season?)

…I think I need to sign up for another treatment he a the OV I can feel the negativity creeping up on me ;D lol

• 4 jesperfuglsang // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

* he a = here at

• 5 Spuggy // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I we were robbed like Simmo is right, hope we can cope without tiote he’s rash bit my word the guy is a powerhouse in our mf

• 6 davybtoon // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Spuggy we will b fine have a choice of Anita, biggie or perch I’d personally go perch

• 7 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Jesper – don’t worry someone’s coming to pick you up now. :)

Does anyone think that Xisco might actually be world class and Pardew knows it, but as part of his master plan he told Dennis Wise o buy him, then, anticipated being the manger 4 years on, told Xisco to play bad, then he can claim to have created the worlds best player? No? Jesper wait up I might need some treatment of some kind :)

• 8 archaeomag // Oct 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM

A Fluke?
    . . .it’s the curse of W@nga. . .

previous post: Xisco Scores Great Hat Trick For Newcastle U21 Side