The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Two Tough Games This Week – But Two Wins Possible

8:35 am, Wednesday, October 24th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

We didn’t win the game against Sunderland on Sunday, but what Alan Pardew took out of the game is he had some big players back, and they played very well, and in particular captain Fabricio Coloccini was simply outstanding at the back for Newcastle.

Danny Simpson – hopes Newcastle can push on now

It’s an interesting statistic that was in the Evening Chronicle yesterday, that Sunderland have only one win in 32 years on Wearside in the Tyne-Wear derby – we hope it stays that way.

Danny Simpson hopes that Newcastle can push on from the excellent display on Sunday:

“Hopefully we can kick on from here now. If we can win on Thursday it sets up to qualify through to Europe.” “Then we have another home game against West Brom on Sunday.”

“They are two tough games coming up at home but games we can win.” “It’s five now against Sunderland and it is a nice record.” “I don’t want to experience losing against them.”

“I’ve heard it’s not nice. I’ve heard it can dampen your season and dampen the spirits of the fans.” “I’ve played in my fifth game and not lost.” “We’ve drawn three and won two.”

“Personally it is a nice record but, at the same time, I thought it was going to be another win.”

It’s always best to take one game at a time, and the next up is Club Brugge tomorrow night in the Europa League, and a win in that game will give us 7 points from three games in Group D and we’ll be well on our way to getting through the group stage to the knock-out stage.

But as Alan Pardew keeps reminding us the Premier League is the most important,  so we have a chance of getting only our 3rd win of the season when West Brom visit St. James’ Park on Sunday.

But that will not be easy, as WBA look to be a better side than last season under former Newcastle coach Steve Clarke, and are currently in 7th place with 14 points from their first 8 games – 4 points above Newcastle.

We can reduce that margin to one point on Sunday – that would be good.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Danny Simpson · Europa League · Newcastle News · Premier League

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 bills-son // Oct 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM

West Brom look a decent well organised side and in Shane Long they have a player we should have signed. They will definitely not be coming for a draw and for me this is the biggest game of the season so far behind Sunderland. We need to beat WBA to show that we are the best of the rest outside of the top 4/5.

• 2 Santon03 // Oct 24, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Players like Gattuso, De Rossi, Ambrossini, Makalele, Essien are some of players who are put in the team to be a ball winner and to destroy opponents flow. Their job is to prevent creative players play well, for example Gattuso vs C.Ronaldo (Milan vs MU) or Ambrossini vs Xavi. They will do what necessary some are dirty tactics to stop them playing.
    Tiote is different lately, he is not the same as his first season. His tackles are insane, it’s like he is trying to hurt someone. Perch does much better job than Tiote nowadays, same role but much much better doing it. I used to hate Perch but I really like him now as midfield hard man.

• 3 jesperfuglsang // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Bills…Shane Long is so overrated (just imagine what you can get for £6M these days and not to mention his wages)

…I for one is glad we didn’t sign him!

• 4 MacToon // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

West Brom are definitely one of the better teams this season, won’t be an easy game at all. Will be interesting to see the team tomorrow for Brugge and “should be” an easier game.

• 5 Santon03 // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM

If Tiote doesn’t change his way, it’s not only the cards I’m worry about, it’s the other players trying to get even. He will get injured badly. Somehow it feels like he is trying to build reputation as bad ass.

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Santon….To be fair, since his first few games he’s had a reputation as a bad ass.

On 2 wins…..Bring it on.

• 7 bills-son // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Jesper, I doubt Shane Long is on big wages at WBA. What I like about him is that he works the channels well and he is fast, something that neither Ba, Cisse or Shola have in their game. He also has a great attitude and works his bollox off in every game I see him play. I think he would have done very well for us and added an option to the forward line we don’t have currently.

• 8 jesperfuglsang // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Ibiza…so early in the morning (thought we had lost you on here so early or Ed had put some restrictions on you or something ;)) lol

• 9 Pushy Pardew // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Ibiza
    Ashley could well view Tiote as a depreciating asset becoming ever untouchable as transfer target.

• 10 Pushy Pardew // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Jesper
    Have to disagree on Long. He’s a talent and just the sort of player we need. Maybe Adam Campbell is our closest type.

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Jesper…Shhh…I’ve sneaked in, don’t let Ed know.

Pushy…..It is a school of thought. What he does do well, he does really well imo, but he is a bit of a gamble with a high transfer fee, which Ashley will know. Question is what does Ashley value for him and what will he accept if that is his feeling?

• 12 Pushy Pardew // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Still trying to get the image of Tiote being disciplined by Ibiza’s parents out of my head. I am smiling as i leave.

• 13 jesperfuglsang // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Bills…I would agree we need someone who is fast, can work the channels and can find the goal. It is just not Shane Long for me (he is overrated in my book) but that is just my opinion :-)

…will be great to see if we will go for a forward in January!

• 14 jawballsaswallwell // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Clarke was favorite for the chop with the bookies early doors, but he has West Brom playing very well, even so, you do get the feeling they are riding the crest of a wave too early and that they will soon fall back and even ultimately into trouble, but right now they ask lots of questions and by all accounts should have taken something from the City game, however a win won’t be enough to get us back on track, we need to put together a little undefeated run in the league with fewer draws. And yes, why didn’t a bigger club come in for Shane Long, some players just don’t have the necessary profile even if they have the game I guess. I agree, he would have been a very handy buy for us.

• 15 jesperfuglsang // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Pushy…will we cannot all agree can we ;D lol

…well I happy he not here and hope will bring someone in to my liking (up until now Pards have done me proud ;))

• 16 jesperfuglsang // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

* I think I forgot the word is a few times :-) feel free to add them youself lol

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Oct 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Pushy…Not quite the picture I was painting, but still an amusing one. Got to say, I fancy my Mum to win it :)

• 18 Kris Kross // Oct 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM

yeah, we cant under estimate west brom, they love to play attacking football with a bit of flare and fluidity at times and catch us out on the break if we arent carefull.

previous post: Pardew Gets Serious On Tiote – It’s Not A Laughing Matter