Newcastle United – A Club Statement

Newcastle United have this morning issued this statement on their web-site:

Newcastle United have welcomed the guilty pleas of Steven Arkle and John Parkinson at Newcastle Magistrates Court on Wednesday in relation to two separate public order offences for pitch incursions at St. James’ Park.

The two men entered the field of play during United’s UEFA Europa League matches against Atromitos and Bordeaux.  Both individuals have disputed the banning order and the case has been adjourned until mid December.

Steve Storey, Newcastle United Head of Security, said:

“I’m pleased they pleaded guilty and we at the Club hope that they receive strong sentences.” “It is not just to punish them but also to act as a deterrent to others. People who think that selfishly running on the pitch is fun or funny should realise it is not.”

“It’s a criminal offence which disrupts the game.” “It offends thousands of people inside the stadium, particularly when they run on naked. It’s beamed live throughout Europe and it has brought embarrassment to the Club given it’s the first time we’ve been back in Europe for many years.”

“We will be actively seeking compensation through the court for the financial penalty imposed by UEFA and we are taking legal advice to consider taking civil action against both men.”

“The Club are really disappointed that these two, who are not season ticket holders or Members of the Club, decided to carry out these acts.” “We hope that these two cases and the strong action the court and the Club are taking against both men, acts as a warning to anyone else who might consider doing similar in the future.”

There has been increasing security problems in security at football games in England this season, and only last Friday Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was attacked by an opposition fan, while playing against Leeds United.

Authorities and the FA in particular, must take some strong action soon, and it seems Newcastle are on top of this – to their credit.

• rainrix

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Hm dont remember there being a pitch invader against Bordeaux, anyone see it?

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

By the way it is ‘play danish music’ day today so go on to your internet radio and find P3 or use grooveshark, spodify or apple airplay and support this great day 😀

• toonLYF

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

jesper, recommend me a Danish song…

• toonLYF

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM

apart from the one i used to sing about Thomas Sorensen not being able to catch a ball 😉

• rainrix

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Jesper… Can i listen to daniel kandi? I dont know if you’d count electronic as danish music but he’s a danish producer so 🙂

• walton1984

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

rainrix

Yeah the was defo one against both team, both came from strawberry corner area

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

LYF…I’ll do better and recommend you a band 🙂

…Ibiza is on The Blue Van, The Raveonettes mode and I recommended him to listen to Mew.

A great new danish band would be ‘The floor is Made of Lava’ and song ‘Lost in the Woods’ 🙂

I am listning to ‘Saybia’ and the solowork of leadsinger Søren Huss (his solowork is in danish)

Another recomodation would be Tim Christensen (if you like the Beatles and Led Zep) the leadsinger of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Rainrix…guess that would be allright 🙂

• estechco

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM

walton1984 is correct, definitely 2. In fact I thought the second one might be the same guy as the first as he came from the exact same spot in the ground.

Suspect it’s just the club saying “Don’t do it again tonight!”

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Rainrix…for you I would recommend a new band called ‘When Saints Go Machine’ 🙂 and a song called ‘Mannequin’:-)

• rainrix

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Walton… Now that i think about it i remember the commentators mentioning it. Something about them note dignifying him by showing him live.

• toonLYF

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Mew are an amazing band – I forgot they were Danish. “Am i Wry? No” and “156” were always stand outs for me. Very big live band too.

I’ll listen to your recs after i revisit a bit of Mew 🙂 it’s been a while – i’m sure you understand.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

LYF…most certainly do 😉

• toonLYF

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

i heard this great description of Mew once – “listening to Mew is like being caught in a blizzard of harsh snow but you are not cold”

• tenpointnine

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM

How about Sissel Kyrkjebo singing ‘O Mio Babbino Caro’?
    As culture goes, quite canny!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

LYF…try listning to their song ‘Snow Brigade’ 🙂 that should sum it up for you ! Be right back!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Tenpoint…she is Norwegian 😉

• Geordie1

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

How about this Danish group Safri Duo you probably all heard it before but memories.

• rainrix

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Geordie1…. Played alive’s another good one from safari duo.

• Kebabacus

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM

If you like Mew, try Coheed and Cambria’s first three albums. Similar vocals, but more rocky/proggy music.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Have you noticed but TV Cameras have stopped showing the clowns that run on to the pitch. When it happened against Bordeaux I remember noticing something was going on in the pitch as the game was supposedly still on and all we had to look at was the directors box and the stands. I was eager to see what it was, I thought it could be some really fine naked bird running to give big Demba a hug or something, now that would be a funny thing to watch 🙂

I hope we win tonight, better said we’d better win tonight I am going to put a wager on it 😛

2-0

HWTL!

• Geordie1

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I hope the TOON win 3-0 as I have £20 on it another point though that I must say is that I hope Ashley & Co have only given Brugge the minimal away tickets possible as I have tried unsuccesfully so far to get a ticket for the away game in Brugge we have already booked wor travel and accomodation however the scrotes in Brugge have only allocated 1470 tickets 5% of there gruond capacity and with an expected 7-8 thousand Geordie invasion the vast majority without tickets could spell trouble for the fair city of Brugge, I hope not though.

• Lee Dodd

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I was at both games these 2 were both drunk . No police inside the ground just security guys. I hope the pair get locked up and bannedfrom St James For Life.. Stupid ideots just like the fool at Hilsborough. I was at the greek game just next To Alan Pardew and Shola The Look of Disgust on There faces. Also The Security were ready to Jump On Alan pardew As The First Pratt had His Eyes On Him for Telling Him To get Off the Pitch. I Bet There is a Drunken Fool Tonight !!!!!

• Wor Cheik

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM

• Graeme

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Presumably the statement would not apply to a female streaker – it wouldn’t be offensive, unless she has a better body than the females in the crowd as NON of the blokes would complain I guess??

We can but hope lol