You Could Peel Oranges With That Left Foot

Shane Ferguson showed again last night what an excellent crosser of a ball he is, and he had several efforts that were almost perfect deliveries last night, and after 15 minutes he put one on the head of Papiss Cisse, but the Senegal striker somehow managed to head straight at the goalkeeper.

Shane Ferguson in action last night – another good game

There’s no doubt that Shane has a wonderful left foot, and the Newcastle manager today chose an odd phrase to describe just how good that left foot is.

Here’s what Alan said in the local press today:

“Shane has one of those left feet you find now and again – you could peel oranges with that left foot.” “He hit three fantastic balls in the game.”

“I am a big admirer of him. I like the way he plays the game. He is progressive, a forward-thinking player.” “He wants to constantly attack and he has a big future at this club.”

Sammy Ameobi, Gabby Obertan and Shane Ferguson all impressed the manager last night, and we now have to hope that all three keep coming through and challenge for a first team position this season.

And we can add Adam Campbell to those three, as the Newcastle manager has said today the local striker is already making a good claim for a first team position.

This all sounds very good to us. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

cisse like all strikers is a confidence player i hope hes not going to turn into a torres : (

• IITianToon

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Very very impressed with Shane and Sammy last night.. though still feel Shane is a winger rather than full back.. and by the way what the hell happened to Tiote yesterday.. 3 times he gave the ball away to the opponent in our own half!!

• Dannyo

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

As AP said, Tiote was clearly affected by the red on Sunday, looked a shadow of himself in all areas.

I love seeing young players coming through, it’s been a long time since we had that now i feel, and there are so many making it at the same time.
    The squad just feels instantly bigger.

• tarie4

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I think Alan wants to turn fergie into a Baines?? If he can get it out of him and move Santon to right back, some fullbacks we would have..

• Spuggy

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Remember tiote was playing with a weaker cm and defence and was all over the park covering

• tarie4

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

See some pple still slating oberton. wow some fans are just wow. 🙂

• Scottiedog

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

We need to keep hold of Fergie!!!! I can see him as a new Gareth Bale in a few years time!!

• catchy in norway

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Right I never said obertan had a poor game, I said he took his goal well butch other than that he did very little, in the position he plays his main job is to supply balls into the box , now that normally comes from various ways , mainly crosses or direct running at the defence and passing,
    No one says you have to beat the man to cross, no one says you have to get to the by line, get into space and cross, as I said , he is 23, when do you think they will teach him how to cross???? Is it being negative to suggest he carnt cross, ?????
    The 2 most creative players last night where sammy and Ferg by a long way,
    You have to ask yourself would he be in your team, if so would you play him as a right winger knowing he will not create much or anything, young romain is a much better footballer, where was he last night?
    Like I said many times , Pardew has his fave players, but these do not make our team strong when he picks them

• hotdog

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Young fergy is alot like silky sellars – not sure he ahs got a tackle in him for full back though!

On Obertan – He rightly got praise from me last night but posters on here saying “I told you so” are wide of the mark as generally his time in a NUFC shirt has been a disaster. I wouldnt be shouting from the rooftops yet as he is yet to influence a PL game, heres hoping though

• hotdog

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Catchy – You need to look at his movement during the first half yesteray. It might have looked like he didnt have an end product but he was pulling two sometimes three bruge players with him to enable Fergy a free delivery, one of which cisse should have buried btw

• Les Grossman

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

ALIADIARE

F!!CK OFF

• Les Grossman

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Treat with the disdane it deserves!!!!!!

• catchy in norway

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Hotdog

I seen that, but that I not enough to justify a starting position in any match, having anyone out there, there will still make space , but don’t u think that we lose some great attacking position from him because he carnt cross, he relies on others behind him to put crosses in , last season it was Simpson , last night it was Ferg

But I’m mr negative to suggest he carnt cross,

• tarie4

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

catchy in norway

Oberton can’t cross, so to Sammy mate?? Sammy was fantastic last night even though he lost the ball loads of times and hardly crossed. But Ofcourse u didn’t see that did U?? Why not say Sammy can’t cross too?? He set up the goal well other than that what did he do better than oberton?? Mate U are just being negative and if U can’t see that oberton has improved immensely from last season, then I sir are the one who is deluded.
    he took on and beat his man, his control was top notch, his movement his passing. How can U justify him doing nothing other than the goal??

And for him passing to fergie. Dnt U think AP told him to draw his man pass to fergie so he has tym to put in a pearl of a cross?? After all fergie is the best crosser of the ball at the club imo?? Its called playing to ur strengths mate.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

The usual suspects are flying about like flies on a turd on here.

None of youse have a clue about how much juggling a manager has to do to keep 25-30 players happy. AP is a decent man manager and says the right things about his players and gave Gabby a good runout as he is clearly trying to get him to perform well on the cup stage to get his confidence up. Confidence is what separates great performances from average ones for a large wedge of players…Cisse included. And the whole EPL first 11 for that matter too.
    Thank God none of you lot ever will get into management apart from off your keyboard and realise that real people not avatars need delicate handling and encouragement not successive blasts of gobshite.

No wonder this blog is getting fewer and fewer regulars returning. Slag the players, slag the manager, go and support the mackems if that is your attitude. Catchy, Kets … troll off with your inconsequential WUM pals.

We used to be able to have debates which included a bit of constructive and thoughtful criticism not this inexorable stream of drivel.

We did actuallyWIN last night with some incredibly encouraging performances from our second string. We do not have 11 Ronaldos or Messis at the Toon.

Rant over and out.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Magpies Flying High

You raise a good point about confidence. Clearly with consecutive goals scored, Cisse will gain some and transform in to a player who wants to be on the ball a lot more.

One of the final points I’ve just made on my blog credited AP’s rotation. Look at AVB and Spurs, ok they should have won more games, but they’ve drawn three and have used far more first team PL players than Newcastle have.

Whilst I wasn’t overwhelmed with what we saw last night, it was a good result and I’m pleased with how things are going.

Some great individual contributions last night too, hopefully Santon can carry that form in to the West Brom game. He’ll have his hands full covering our centre halvess when Odemwingie and Long get in behind.

Anyway, good post. The best thing about this blog is the debate between fans who can come on here and actually learn about our side.

Good on Obertan to score, Fergie is a delight though. He could play first team for sure.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM

so have sense restored to the blog or are we still a bit deluded about our performance last night? 🙂

…and that goes both ways…

• catchy in norway

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

First tarrie

My point if you read it is that as a winger you have to create, creating space is not the same as creating a goal, and if you honestly believe a player should be on the pitch to creat space then u don’t want much from your players
    Sammy was fantastic last night , he uses skill to beat his man and yes he may not cross the ball, you can see him driving into the box and making things happen, he made the goal

MPFH

Ok so now your saying only a manger can say something about a player and that fans don’t have the right, it’s a blog we can say what we like, and since when has tellin the truth been bad, I guess you must one of those type if ppl that says to the kids at school there are no winners, you all did good, well sorry life is not fair, and he was lucky enough to be chosen to be a footballer, may be if he did a good job he would not get stick, his manager sets him up ever time, instead of just saying that lad is improving( he is but very slowly for some his age) he chose to say we won the game because of him, and that is far from the truth, we had at least 6 better players than him last night,

We are not being negative, we are not trolls , I just think we know the game better than u:)

Do u still play? I do, I’m 39, and the thing he can do better than me is run fast, like I said he has been lucky to be chosen,

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

jesper

What did you think?

I’d call it a routine win, could have scored more and should have (Cisse header) but Brugge could have scored one too (Bacca header off the ground and over the bar, and the Taylor block at the end)

Sammy, Fergie, Santon were good. We were a little clueless in getting the ball forward from midfield but we were in control of the game for large parts.

A decent showing and good to see Gabby get the goal with a good finish.

Bring on West Brom!

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I would love to see fergie given a chance on the wing with santon behind him.

The stumbling block in the whole equation is jonas AP still feels the need to fit him in, he sees that workrate as something we cant do without, im not knocking that but if you are attacking you aint defending and fergie and santon would be such an outlet down that line.

AP sees jonas as first choice and he picks the team its his call, its just personal preference.

I like santon as left back personally.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM

beef

I rate Jonas and I love what he brings to the team but I do agree he doesn’t do enough in the final third as a winger should.

I’d like to see what you’ve said, with Fergie ahead of Santon on the left. Maybe AP could play Jonas CM in the absence of Tiote?

I do however think Perch will go CM and we will see Jonas on the left again.

I’m just longing for us to go 4-3-3 again. Jonas as one of the middle three rather as the wide man on the left.

Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Ba should cause problems Sunday but West Brom have goals in them too.

Fergie is a class act, I’m just not sure whether Pardew would select him to start another game in a row in such short space of time.

Thing is with Fergie and Santon it sounds promising, especially going forward, but we might see it and be exposed. Pardew knows he can count on Jonas, just look at his workrate against Sunderland. He was great at doubling up on Adam Johnson with Santon.

The good thing is, we now seem to have more options.

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM

hotdog, fergie isnt a simpson type of defender ie he dosnt make tackles like simpson i am agreed there.

Fergie though seems to get positioned were defenders dont take him on and last night he was not really stretched at all by their wide player.

Fergie is fantastic at the overlap and cross and thats a great asset to have in your team, were as simpson is a workhorse with no real special attribute but gives 100 per cent so that is a bonus for any team.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Carrying…I was impressed with the first half – not so much the second one.

…the youngsters stood out for me and Sammi and Fergy are really seigeing the oportunity.

The tactics went haywire in the second half and Pards sub of Anita for Shola backfired on him and I think he knew that the the second sub of Colo and last one of Cabs.

Strange second half for me, but the three points are the important aspect 🙂

• catchy in norway

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Beef

I’d love Ferg in the team to, and not @ LB

Jonas should be dropped, but Pardew is loving him tucking and parking 3 in front of the defence , I would not mind if it stopped teams from scoring

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

jesper

Yeah I know what you mean, I think we did need Colo and Cabaye just to see it through and steady it a bit!

Had Cisse taken a chance first half I think we’d have seen a far more assured and confident second.

Some definite positives though.

D you (or does anybody know) what Pardew said at half time about taking Anita off and bringing Shola on. I missed what he said. Was it tactical or did he disguise it as Anita taking a knock or something?

Shola’s introduction didn’t benefit us last night.

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM

carryingcoals, AP sees Jonas as a shoe in and he has given so much for the toon i cant really knock AP for that, but maybe at home especially he may just change that system, i think a freeness to attack at home has many advantages ie crowd are lifted which can feel like that extra man at SJP.

As you say there is still that responsibility for fergie to get back and cover santon if its getting a bit tight, we know jonas does that but isnt half the threat for me as fergie going forward.

So you have a balancing act, and for me, especially at home attack is always king at SJP

• Les Grossman

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Okay
    See ‘The mag@ posting re Obertan last night and tell me they didnt read my post after the last euro game v Bordeaux, when almost every frigga on here were virtually messing themselves about his superstar performance!!!

The lad can play, no denying, I am a fan, but he is nowhere near as good as the players currently in front of him in the pecking order!!

• hotdog

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Catchy – You could look at the weaknesses of all players but he needs praise for last night’s performance. I do not agree with MFH that players are beyhond reproach it makes for healthy deabte on here, although my patience was tried last night when we got a good win and there were some right moaners.

• Les Grossman

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Also was deeply concerned about the second half performance last night. Thought we showed ignorance and arrogance to a degree and we are not in that league of being able to go out knowing we have a game won yet!!

Lets hope we dont do that again in Bordeaux or Bruges.

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Catchy, i was so looking forward to campbell getting half an hour last night, and when shola came on i was sort of dissopointed beacuse it was the perfect opportunity to give the lad a run out, also seen any times fergie and he are on the same wavelength when in the same team.

I think if we had of went two up early second half campbell would have got a chance, cisse was not really involved at all second half for me.

The maritimo match at home may be the game were AP will give campbell a start if we have qualified, and go santon, fergie, on the left as well.

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

beef

Fair point, I do think we need to be more expansive going forward at home especially and I can see how Jonas prohibits that.

What he can do, which I find people neglect, is he is one of our few players who seem to have the ability to pass the ball, along the floor in the opposition half. Ben Arfa and Cabaye do it marvelously but Jonas contributes to that too.

Against West Brom, Jonas will play and I would definitely use him. I do agree with what you’re saying about him on the left though.

Maybe Pards could play 4-3-3 and we might see us scoring/creating a lot more.

krul
    simmo willo colo santon
    cabaye perch jonas
    HBA Ba Cisse

Cabaye, Perch and Jonas could form quite a decent little mix in the midfield, and I think that’s where we can get the best out of Jonas.

The problem now exists on that left hand side. We can’t put Ba there again, Jonas isn’t penetrative enough and Cisse doesn’t seem to have the workrate about him to do well there.

I would like to see Ferguson there mind, he does really impress when given the chance.

Rather than drop Jonas though, I’d prefer to re-position him. I do think you make a good point about how we should set up at home though, we could do with being a little more adventurous.

Any chances we have mostly come from Ben Arfa, we need to start going forward better as a team. Maybe with all players now available we will.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Having one one and all?

Have skimmed the posts, seems the biggest topics are:

1) Was Obertan really good or okay, but good for him? My answer…Does it really matter? He is improving and correcting certain elements of his game that we’ve been b*tch*ng about for ages. That’s a positive. Finished article? No. But signs are looking better. Happy days.

2) Negativity. Game time is pretty horrendous on here, but that doesn’t mean anyone who questions something is being unreasonable, we do need balance.

3) Optimism. Can be over the top at times, but hardly surprising when you have people complaining about the man who ultimately made the difference last night (Not saying one goal makes someone MOTM – but credit where credit is due).

Think that’s it. Phew…..saved myself half a day there.

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

carryingcoals, i personally will stick with anita in midfield, he needs a run of games and with tiote out it gives him the perfect opportunity.

As AP will play jonas he may go jonas cabaye anita in the middle for that three, it would be a bit of a kick in the stones for anita if he picked perch there in front of him.

To be honest with WBA having such a good start he will probably go 442 again. yawn, but safe in his eyes.

Remember last season when they caught us out when we played too high a line and brunt and long caused no end of grief, that has to be looked at this time.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Having a good one, one and all*

Good start.

• Les Grossman

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Bigi before Anita, everytime for me!!!!

• Carryingcoals

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM

beef

Yeah I can see a 4-4-2 with Ba and Ben Arfa saving us a bit.

2-1 to us!

ibiza

well surmised about Obertan! 🙂

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM

A sweeper dosnt happen very often now but colo would make the ultimate on for me, against teams with pace up front i would not rule it out, we have been caught many many times over seasons gone by like this with quick strikers getting behind us.

Yea i know it wont happen, but a sweeper nulifies pace in the opponents team.

• fray bentos

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

@Catchy

Who cares if you still play?!!?

Don’t mean shit, im in my thirties and i play with a bunch of 20 and 30somethings and few of the 30somethings ive played with since i was a lad still have no tactical awareness or team ethic as they did when they were at school, being ball gready and standing in one place when not on the ball.

Nobody cares if your 39 or still play football

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Les….I have so far been more impressed with Bigi than Anita too. I’m putting a lot of Anitas underwhelming start due to transition, needing to get up to pace, having his family overseas (inc his newborn), etc. I believe he will come good, from most reports he’s meant to be a cracking little player.

Carrying…Why thank you. Will read your match report later. I was quite happy watching the game last night (although I missed from about 20 mins until Obertans goal (thank you internet). Think we controlled well, but didn’t attack quite as much as I’d like for a home game. However, for now, the points are what matters, still happy to give Pardew and the lads time to work on their style.

• beefman13

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Les grossman, i though big was not at his best last night and was surprised he wasnt taken of for cabaye instead of fergie, and its personel preference again but fopr me anita will prove he is a good player for us,

Always one of the first on the team sheet at ajax, he maybe is one of those players who needs bit more time to settle, its been a bit stop start so far for the lad but i really believe he will come good and be a real asset for us, as will big of course.

1 2 3 9