Youngsters Create Selection Dilemma For Newcastle Manager

We’ve noticed that the other English clubs in Europe this season do not make too many changes for their best sides, and certainly Liverpool and Tottenham played almost their strongest sides in the Europa league on Thursday night.

Sammy Ameobi – had good game against Club Brugge

And in the Champions League you have to play strong sides in mid-week because otherwise you can get beat as Manchester United experienced last year.

Alan Pardew made 9 changes to the starting eleven at Sunderland for the game against Club Brugge, but Alan Pardew seems to have picked sides that can get the job done, because we are not grumbling at all at the 7 points we picked up from our first three games.

And it’s the best of the three English clubs in the Europa League.

The Newcastle manager saw several youngsters give excellent performances on Thursday night, and they included Gabby Oberton (23), Shane Ferguson (21) and Sammy Ameobi (20), and it will be interesting to see if those three players even make the bench for tomorrow’s game.

Certainly Alan’s task has been made a lot more difficult by some of our youngsters starting to come through this season, but that’s really good news for Newcastle.

This is what the manager said yesterday:

“Of course it makes my job for Sunday harder.” “The bench is competitive and the subs who come off the bench are in good form. As I said, it is nights like that which give me a tough choice for the bench on Sunday, never mind the team.”

“I have been picking sides which I think suit the game. Would we have won with the team we played at Sunderland? The energy we put out that day, I don’t think we would have. You could argue I left nine players out from that team, but if they had all played on Thursday.”

” I think we could have got beaten on Thursday, I really do. The energy levels we had to produce were phenomenal.” “We have got a quick turnaround, so on Sunday, we go again.”” “I’m not sure we deserve to be much higher. “

“Some of those draws we’ve had were not games we deserved to win.” “I think we are in the position we are in. I like to think that with everyone fit, we can start getting those three points .”

After Newcastle scored early in the second half Club Brugge took the game to Newcastle, and while Newcastle tried to contain them, the opposition certainly had their chances and we were concerned right until the final whistle that in the second game in a row we could have conceded a late equalizer.

But we didn’t, and it was a great result, but as Alan says – now the lads have to go out and do the same thing again tomorrow afternoon, against a strong West Bromwich Albion side.

But exactly what team Alan will choose for tomorrow’s game will be a difficult choice – does he stay with his usual players, or does he give one or more of the youngsters a start in the Premier League – that’s Alan’s dilemma for tomorrow – and of course it’s a good problem for any manager to have.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jawballsaswallwell

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

No dilemma at all, he just won’t pick any of ’em. Same team as v the scum, with Perch in for Tiote

• Carryingcoals

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Out of the three mentioned, I think Fergie will be the one who comes on in the second hald. Possibly Obertan in the last 5/10 mins if we still have an available sub. Can’t see Sammy getting a look in despite a good showing.

• IITianToon

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I am skimming the fixtures list and it seems really good, until the December at least :
    WBA,West Ham, Swansea and Wigan at home; and Liverpool, Southampton,Stoke and Fulham away.To challenge for the top the results we must be try:
    WBA-W Liv -D West Ham-W Swansea-W Southampton-W SToke-D Wigan-W Fulham-D.
    So thats 18 points from next 8 games. I feel if we are to be close to the top 6 this run of results should be what we must aim for.

• Carryingcoals

Perch
    Williamson/S.Taylor
    Anita/Bigirimana
    Ferguson
    Obertan
    Shola Ameobi
    With Sammy,Gosling,Amalfitano,Tavernier,Campbell not even making the bench

• sirtoongospel

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Totally agree on Perch for Cheick.

Hopefully Cabaye will push us forward more.

Just a quick comment on Cisse. I watch him and the runs he makes, and 90 percent of the time no one even looks up let alone attempt the pass. He is a brilliant striker and we need to play to his strengths. Even on Thursday, against a weaker team than us, and at home, we play 5 in midfield with just about zero creativity apart from Sammy, and papiss stuck up front on his own. We played average at best yet he still threatened the goal on a few occasions. No doubt in my mind that he is lethal, and should start every league game when available, especially at home. Fergie should be threatening Jonas not Santon, he isn’t a left back. When at home we should be more threatening, although Jonas should play every game away from home. Tactically Pardew is decent but sometimes it makes no sense. Thursday was baffling really, we ended up with Cisse on the right wing for the last 20 minutes.

• APBWA

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

My team for tomorrow

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Coloccini Santon
    Perch Anita Jonas
    Cabaye HBA
    BA

• blew

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Fergy must come in for Jonas, who is a yard off the pace and cant cross a ball

• Newcastle for alltid

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I expect a team similar to the team that played against Sunderland, with some injury/suspension-related changes, of course.

Krul
    Simpson – S, Taylor – Coloccini – Santon
    Ben Arfa – Cabaye – Bigirimana – Jonas
    Cissè/ S. Ameobi – Ba

Personally I think we look better in a 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 with Cabaye as an attacking midfielder. My selection for that formation would be:

Krul
    Simpson – S.Taylor – Coloccini – Santon
    Bigirimana – Jonas/Perch/Anita
    Obertan/Jonas – Cabaye – Ben Arfa
    Ba

I don’t really prefer playing with Anita as of now. He seems like he’s still trying to figure out the game, and is probably used to have more time with the ball from the Dutch league. I know he’s a good player, but a couple of games as a substitute does him the best. Bigirimana, for me, looks more calm and secure with the ball, even though his passes and deliveries are not quite 100% yet.

I would also play Obertan in a 4-2-3-1 formation. His pace is good and causes problems, and he should be rewarded with a league appearance. Him and Ben Arfa on opposite flanks with Ba in the middle and support from Cabaye sounds good at the moment. You could play Jonas in Obertans place, but I think Jonas is more of a CM/CDM nowadays.

As for the youngsters, some are promising, but I would not play them in the league yet. Shane Ferguson is the closest to the team for me, with great pace and deliveries. The only thing keeping him from starting is the competition.
    Sammy Ameobi was mostly good against Club Brugge, but also frustrating. He shows good technique, but his tactical choices and understanding of the game needs to be worked on.