Alan Pardew – I Learned A Lot From Jose Mourinho

It has been revealed today in an interview in the Evening Chronicle that Alan Pardew studied Jose Mourinho’s methods when he was at Chelsea, and the Newcastle manager says he learned a lot from the manager who was mentored at Barcelona by the great Bobby Robson.

Bobby Robson and Mourinho at Barcelona – 1997

Pardew still keeps in touch with the special one – and he now gets text messages from Jose, and he keeps in touch with the Real Madrid manager.

This is what Alan told the Chronicle this morning:

“I used to watch Chelsea regularly because it was on my doorstep.” “It was when Jose Mourinho was there. There were things that I was seeing that I hadn’t seen in English football before.”

“Some of the managerial traits that he was bringing I’ve learned from.” “And I can’t help but say I’ve nicked a few of them.” “The big managers that I’ve come across and been lucky enough to deal with have influenced me too.”

“The impact of the foreign managers can’t be lost on my education. Arsene Wenger is another.” “There are a few people who have influenced me throughout my career – Steve Coppell for sure.”

“Unfortunately Jose is not in the country at the moment, but hopefully he will be coming back here soon.” “Pep will be, too. And then we really will have the best coaches in the world.”

“That’s the one beauty about this country – we’ve had a melting pot of the best coaches. That’s why it is the best league in the world.”

When Bobby took over at Newcastle in 1999 he tried to get an unknown coach named Jose Mourinho to join him as the Assistant manager, after he had been with Bobby at Barcelona, but Jose had visions of becoming a full-time manager himself and turned down the offer.

But Bobby had also been impressed with one of the coaches already at Newcastle – a young John Carver –  and Bobby was happy to appoint Carver as his Assistant Manager, and of course the two of them steered Newcastle to the Champions League in Bobby’s last two seasons as manager.

And John is now doing a great job as backup to Alan Pardew.

Newcastle have an excellent coaching staff at the club right now – and long may that continue, because  we need to get back into that Champions League – and we can do it too.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Grafton83

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I don’t want to be the last person in the World to say this so here it is:

I too learnt a lot from Jose and Bobby, everything I know about managing my department of 3 people I learnt from them.

Glad I got that off my chest

• Grafton83

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

1st as well, Ofcourse I’m dedicating that achievement to my great mentors.

• blew

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Send JM a text Pards and ask him how to motivate a midfield

• Quasi.modo

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

So the poor performance of our midfield on Sunday was Pardew’s fault? I certainly hope that the players themselves don’t have that attitude as it stinks.

I hope Cabaye has been busting himself in training since and not sat moaning and blaming Pardew for his poor performance and I would strongly suggest that out of the two possibilities the latter is more likely as he is a professional footballer with common sense. If he plays badly it is his fault, not Pards.

Like it or not you can’t blame Pards for everything.

• Grafton83

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I watched the Liverpool Everton game at the weekend and seeing the crosses players like Leighton Baines were pumping into the box made me think why don’t we ever appear that dangerous from the wings.

I honestly think young Ferguson is the only one who can cross. It would make such a difference to our side if we could fix that.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The setup here at NUFC is really great – we just need to find the right formular (and if Pards have learned something from Jose, then it is time to put it into motion :))

…common Pards, I have seen you do it 😉 don’ be shy! lol

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Grafton…I agree we don’t have many players who are natural crossers, but you can setup your game play differently – you don’t need to rely on crosses.

…maybe that is what we have too do (though I like a hybrid formation so I would like to see Fergy in our lineup think he adds quite alot from either the wing or fullback)

• FatmanJoe

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Baines truly is England’s best player. He’s so exciting to watch and consistent too. Well gutted we won’t be going for him.

• TorqToon

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Morning gents! On sissoko –

Mark my words lads, Sissoko is a QUALITY player!!! I spend a lot of time working in France and have seen and heard plenty about this lad. Should he sign, he will well an truly take us to the next level. Even the great Zidane speaks very highly of him of potential to be one of the best in a France shirt.

He is strong, composed, skilful and dictates play with apparent ease. He is great in the tackle and positionally superb. I would risk a backlash here…but I would state that he has more refined attributes than Mr T and is only 23. Along with a better diciplinary record.

I hope Cheik stays with us, but either way, bringing this lad in would be a hell of a coup!!!

Truly a MASSIVE signing!!

• rainrix

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Off topic but this is why i hate liverpool and everything about them..

Shock horror they cant except that everton are actually a better team than them, Steven gerrard you good sir are a idiot.

• FatmanJoe

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Sounds good torq. I must admit I don’t know much about him at all.

Very exciting if true.

• toonarmydownsouth

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Repost
    Would love to see this lad on tyneside nice to be linked with a player rather than our players leaving!!

By the way

Apart from dannyo did any one who posted actually read the article or just read the headline?
    At what point did pardew say the players were tired from playing on a thursday? Simple he didnt he’s saying the club are struggling to fit in with training with two different styles of tactics for upcoming games!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Torq…been in Toulouse lately mate? 🙂

• wolfshead@toon

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM

we nearly had the special one as asst manager wow didnt know that

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Rainrix…there are plenty of reasons to hate Liverpool 🙂 just go on to teamtalk’s rumor room and have a read 😉 (you’ll hate the fans as well lol)

• rainrix

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Jesper… I already hate the fans as it is. I imagine if i go on there i’ll end up wanting to go to a high place in liverpool with a sniper rifle 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

TADS…read the article, but I don’t think I commented on it!

…it is not always easy being Pardew, but he needs to find a way to make it all work (that’s his task at hand, might not always be easy, but that’s life).

…he might need to sacrifice something along the way to make it all work – others have done it before him and others will most definitely do it after him.

…from where I am sitting training is the least of his problems (but hi I am on the sofa I know 😉 lol)

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Rainrix…you probably will 😉 lol

..I don’ really hate the club that much (don’t really care for it) but I really really really hate their fanbase 🙂

—I hate Tottenham though (always have and always will :))

• Grafton83

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Jesper I think how ever you set up being able to put crosses in will be part of ever match at one point or another. Fergie has created a number of good chances with his crosses recently.

Is Santon naturally right footed, if he is then we’d probably see some better crosses from him if he plays at RB.

As for wingers Obertan is probably never going to develop that part of his game, Jonas hasn’t got a killer cross on him either. Therefor if no1 else leaves then two wingers who can cross would be my priority in January.

• rainrix

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Jesper… I know what you mean about the fans. The seem to have a sort of undeserved sense of entitlement because they’ve won the league 17 times.

I generally just hate everything about them, theres a show on channel
    5 over here in the UK about them which is just pure tripe and propaganda. I wonder how much the upper echelons of liverpool payed for it. 🙂

Also i agree about tottenham, although i hate them less now that old leatherface isn’t there 😉

• Grafton83

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Sell Obertan, Marveux and utalise Jonas somewhere else. That would be my plan

• santonthenewmaldini

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Got a couple of mates from University who are Liverpool fans and the way they go on before games on Facebook is shocking you would think they were top of the league!!

AND THEY WE ARE DELUDED!!

Really hope we beat them i think Santon and Colo will snuff out Sterling and Suarez no problem its just that bell end Gerard he always seems to score against us

• rainrix

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Grafton.. I agree I think with our current players, we do have to go through the wings. Cabaye and tiote are hardly pacey/tricky so we cant really go down the centre unless cabaye plays a killer ball through, and that really is easier said than done, although cabayes more than capable.

Given our current wingers, id reckon we’d be better off beating the Fb and drilling low crosses in hard. That way ba and cisse can use there feet, which is what they’re best at.

Counterattacking is something else to consider, but the only time ive really seen it come off was WBA away last season.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think we’ll do alot better with throughballs than crosses – the only player that can cross is Fergy and Benny is much better at going inside (not so sure what either Obertan or Marv is good at ;))

…sammy is good at going inside as well 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I think use obertan and fergie wide, have Ba or cisse through the middle with Ben arfa and cabaye playin behind to make runs past him or play him through, then have tiote holding.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

That way we have options, if teams squeeze narrow to crowd cabaye and Ben arfa, obertan and fergie can exploit the flanks.

If teams cover the wide men it leaves room for cabaye and Ben arfa in the middle

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I have been toying with idea of a 4-4-2 diamond style formation without wings (since Pardew is clearly not going to ‘kill his darling’ anytime soon :)).

…I am not completely sure if we could pull it off, but I would like to see it with both Fergy and Santon at fullback delivering the crosses.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Jesper

A similar 442 diamond to what man utd have been playing?

• bettyswallocks

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I wasnt suggesting we sack Pardew forthwith just pointing out that the style of football we are watching is not entertaining .

As a long term solution we need maybe a more modern thinking coach to work alongside Pardew.

I think if we were all honest it would be agreed that Pardews system never loks like scoring lots of goals and hammering a team 4 or 5 nil.

To me that is exciting and entertaining. Why shouldn t we expect that.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

TS…I think so; I am not sure the construct their midfield though, but idea is to bridge the gap between MF and att. defense and MF and extra firepower from the fullback when we go forward.

The anchorman in MF makes sure we don’ get overrun on counter attacks.

Benny gets to play as a #10 and Ba and Cisse/Shola can go wide if necessarily 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

* should have read ‘I am not sure how they construct their MF’ 🙂

• santonthenewmaldini

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM

It might not be a bad idea looking at getting a coach in to work with Pardew

Remember when Man Utd had that Queiroz as assistant they were really entertaining and had Ronaldo and Tevez in that team

Now its Mike Phelan and they have more British players and they are not that good to watch!

We should get Phillipe Albert or Ginola as assistant they could show the team a thing or 2 about entertaining!

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Ed…I think this thread is dead 🙂

…can we please have a new one! 😀

• lesh

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Rainrix…. it’s not as though our scouse friends have a sense of entitlement becuase they’ve been champs a number of times, it’s something that’s difficult to put a finger on other than that they feel a sense of entitlement period. No matter what, always the victims, they’re always the wronged, ever seeking sympathy.

It’s fair to say that a lt of ’em are balanced…. with a chip on each shoulder!!!

• lesh

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

It’s fair to say that a lot of ’em are balanced…. with a chip on each shoulder!!!

• lesh

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM

* It’s fair to say that a lot of ’em are well balanced…. with a chip on each shoulder!!!

• lesh

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Whoops, and before anybody says it, if I appeared to be going daft a bit it’s because my comment seemed to take forever to upload!

• archaeomag

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

@lesh
    You have my sympathy . .

• rainrix

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

lesh… The blog police lets you off for quad posting. 😉

I know what you mean, horribly whiny supporters. I’ve always felt it comes from them winning the league and champions league, such as they feel entitled to it, man united are similar in that sense.

I don’t know maybe they’re just horribly deluded. The accent doesn’t help either 😉

• archaeomag

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I think we should be worried about ED
    – Most of the USA has been washed away by a super-storm, and I think large parts of New York have dissolved.

1 2 3 9