The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew’s Strange Take On Luis Suarez

11:31 am, Thursday, November 1st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 90 Comments

Some strange words coming from Alan Pardew today, and it seems he’s been talking to Hatem Ben Arfa, one of Newcastle’s very best players this season, about how the French International can have a bigger impact in games for Newcastle, and the Newcastle manager has pointed to Luis Suarez as a good example for the Frenchman.

What?

This is how we see Luis Suarez – good at diving or is it simulation?

No, it’s not the diving that Suarez continually does when anybody even touches him on the pitch, it’s his all around play for Liverpool, and the fact that’s he’s always in among the opposition defenders making a nuisance of himself, scoring goals and creating chances.

This is what Alan Pardew said in the local press today:

“He is an outstanding talent. There is no doubt about that.” “I think you have to see how many chances he creates and how many things he does in a game.” “You could do a highlights show for him after every game.”

“I’ve been talking to Hatem about trying to have the same impact that Luis is having.” “Hatem almost did that on Sunday.” “You could have put him in that category.” “We’re looking at our own assets and we want them to worry about us.”

“You still have to do a lot of things right to get a win.” “Regardless of being a bit fortunate, you still have to defend well and there are a lot of things we did well. Sometimes things go unnoticed.” “Our passing and movement let us down a little bit.”

We suppose if you remove the diving that Suarez habitually does, because that’s the only thing we think of when his name is mentioned, and concentrate just on the football (but it’s difficult where Suarez is concerned), Alan makes a decent point we suppose.

But we think Ben Arfa if anything, is a better overall player that Luis is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News

90 responses so far ↓

• 1 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Happy Halloween Ed, I thought you were going as Elvis Presley!!
    Besides all the diving and stuff, Suarez is arguably one of the best inside the box player in the PL.
    Here’s hoping for a good game on Sun, as PL games involving us surely have been one of the more boring so far(except Everton, that was a cracker).

• 2 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Two firsts in a day,, not a record to talk about but a record nonetheless, happy happy :)

• 3 rainrix // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I think he’s talking about consistency, HBA has a tendency to drift in and out of games, WBA is a good example he started well and then was anonymous for the 2nd half. That being said i don’t even know if suarez is that consistent anyway, never really watched him, although i think that is what pards is getting at :)

• 4 Deadpool // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It’s easier for Saurez to make an impact as he has the team built around him, playing to HIS strengths.

We stick Ben Arfa out on the right of a 4-4-2 and expect him to work wonders whilst the rest of the team go missing.

The tactics are responsible for Benny not fulfilling his potential in games.

Pardew would play 4-4-2 even if he was Barca manager.

• 5 wynsleap // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Suarez might be a detestable pain in the butt and an obvious cheating diver but he is one very effective player and will have to be watched very carefully this weekend.
    Much as we accept Ben Arfa is more naturally talented and hard working, I think if we had Suarez on our side he’d get more goals and cause more havoc than Benny over the season. The ‘better overall player’ accolade that you mention there Ed is therefore debatable.

• 6 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It seems finally Pardew is picking up on what I have been saying for a while is our Achilles heel – our passing and movement (I am going to charge him a consultant fee very soon ;)) lol

About Benny doing what Saurez is doing (not the diving) we have to bare in mind that Sauzes plays as a forward for Liverpool and Benny plays as a RM or RW in a 4-4-2 formation.

Ain’t gonna happen Pardew before you change system…I’ll leave you with my remark from yesterday.

‘…remember sometimes the ideas that you think is brilliant, can be more detrimental than good, and you would do well to kill them – even if it hurts to the bone doing it!’

• 7 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

*Saurez :)

• 8 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

@Deadpool you cracked me up with that Barca 4-4-2 mate.

Imagine, Valdes hoofing it, Villa to knock it down and Messi to score from the flick :D
    Okay Newcastle will kick Barca’s ass if both are coached by Pardew and made to play 4-4-2 tactics. :)

• 9 blew // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Saurez is a 90 min goalmaker and prolific scorer, he is vastly superior to the 7/8 minutes a game HBA.

• 10 blissna // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I’m glad there’s a few realists here. Comparing Ben Arfa favourably to Suarez. Ed’s got his B&W tinted glasses on :D

• 11 Magpies-till-d3ath // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Colo has him in his back pocket all day long! Like Fletcher. Ben Arfa is twice the player Suarez is, Suarez is lucky Tiote isn’t playing because if he dives with Tiote on the pitch, he’s dead!!!

• 12 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

@ Blew

Suarez has been far from prolific in the Premier League compared to Holland. Not to mention he is probably the leagues most hated player and I for one would love to slap the Donkey looking racist

• 13 rainrix // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Cisse… Get in line Mate! ;)

Although to be fair that dive he did near david moyes last sunday made me chuckle a bit :)

• 14 Visten // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Okay Blew I will bite…….Don’t talk shite son.

• 15 Hatem's better than Messi // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I think HBA picks the ball up deeper and runs with the ball more than Suarez.

Suarez picks the ball up around the edge of the box and plays tricky feints with the ball at his feet. Followed by short 3-4 yard bursts into space.

Suarez gets closer to the goal more often than HBA.
    HBA has a better shot and can score superb solo goals from deep.

Suarez is also a racist serial cheater.
    HBA is a credit to NUFC on and off the pitch.

• 16 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

…Are we in for some ‘happy slapping’ ;) lol

• 17 rainrix // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Jesper… Get In line mate :) , although we could go 7 at a time like an extremely violent and less disturbing bukkake video :)

• 18 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

@jesper I noted that you wrote *Saurez , thats a whole new way of proving “two wrongs dont make a right”. :D
    And your name really is Jesper Fulgsgang isnt it? Lol initially I used to think it was some really cool Scandinavian viking name :D

• 19 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

@rainrix at 17 dude you just gave the young kids on this blog a whole new word to Google .. easy man! :D

• 20 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM

IITianToon…damnit! you saw it :D (I just couldn’t be bothered with that name)

…you used to think my name was some cool Viking name? What’s changed? lol (it is Fuglsang and not Fuglsgang. It means Birdsong)

• 21 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I will warn people in advance. Do not look up bukkake on google :) . Also what is going on with Saurez’s ears ? , it looks like they have been stapled to his head :)

• 22 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

…and how it wish I didn’t google that :D

• 23 rainrix // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yeah sorry kids dont google bukkake!

Now if you really want nightmares…… :)

• 24 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Rainrix…you owe me big times mate (big times) ;) lol

• 25 rainrix // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Jesper… I thought you’d be thanking me :) (maybe not) or did your wife catch you googling that? XD

• 26 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Rainrix…no! thank god she didn’t (cleaning my cache and cookies as we are speaking) lol

• 27 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Two different players in different positions.

The only comparison I see is that hey are both match winners.

Suarez for all I dislike him has improved his consistency so far his year.

Ben arfa is brilliant in glimpses but needs to show it more. Even I tactics are holding him back he doesn’t seem to have had a great month on terms I general play.

He will come goo though, very one suffers a dip in form apart from messi and ronaldo

• 28 tarie4 // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

BREAKING: Luis Suarez , Gareth Bale , Ashley Young , Sergio Busquets and Neymar Nominated for FIFA Fallon d’Floor 2012″

• 29 seancavaz // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Blew you’re having a roar mate! I’ll apologise in advance if you are partially sighted but that is my only conclusion for your comment! Everyone’s entitled to an opinion but sometimes people are just crying out for their village to find them!

• 30 Graeme // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

tarie4 Suarez will win it at a canter mate, he is currently the best there is lol

• 31 toonLYF // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

all the Suarez haters on here need to stop believing every word you hear a sky sports commentator say. He’s been accused of diving 3-4 times already this season, and to be fair to him, atleast 3 could’ve easily been given. He’s a targetted figure, and somewhat a scapecoat for the commentators. I find it sad how they can’t get through a match without being negative about the game/teams/players in some way.

Simple fact is Suarez is one of the best in the league and would walk into any team.

• 32 IITianToon // Nov 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

@tarie4 at 28 I will place a bet on Busquets.. after all guy won the Oscar for Best Actor in a Comedy/Drama for his superlative peekabaoo diving performance against Inter Milan.
    And why have you put Gareth Bale in the list, since when did he join this illustrious list?

• 33 Widowmaker // Nov 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

HBA is definitely more talented and I hope Pardew is not ask him to dive more! HBA has a tendency of staying on his feet at times when he could had easily won free kicks at dangerous position. Also, our game plan often just pass HBA by. Hoof it!

• 34 boater // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

We had passing and movement?

Suarez plays better when angry, as seen after Moyes’ comments- Pards is going the other way by buttering him up – smart thinking.
    Tough game – we need to show we are the upwardly mobile these days- wish I was going.

• 35 boater // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Suarez earns his teams points every week – singlehandedly at times … Arfa may have the odd spectacular goal/run up his sleeve but, at the moment Suarez is the much more influential player.

• 36 Ian Toon // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Pardew has previously said that the time for evaluation will be after 10 games. That’s after the Liverpool game . To date we’ve been unlucky with injuries but have failed o string together two consistent halves of possession pass and move football. A week on the training ground should help to eliminate the need to maintain possession in a slow, defensive mindset. We cannot have in CM two players who play well defensively but cannot hold the ball up and play the ball forward in an offensive way in the middle of the pitch. This was a major problem v WBA but something they did very well particularly in the second half with Mulumbu excelling. Anita should be in CM because his pass and move style will be invaluable in linking the play
    wth HBA and Cabaye.

• 37 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Bale started diving last year a lot. Ben said he goes down without contact, tried I imply it was to avoid a tackle so he doesn’t get hurt but said he goes down with no contact.

Suarez has been better this year, not many dives but a lot of fouls on him.

I don’t like him but he is improving his scoring record, he isn’t up their with the best in the league like aguero, van persie, etc but he is just below and if he keeps this form up over the year he will be up there, his conversion rate is the only thing I think he really needs to improve on.

Ben arfa has messi like ability but nowhere near the same consistency, that’s what lets him down.

• 38 seancavaz // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

HBA will be fine man he’s been studying Pedros YouTube videos, wait til we see the shuffle ha…..HBA will provide the magic that’s needed, and the thing that we’ll see is them doubling up on him which will hopefully free up Cabaye to smash one in from 20 yards or the time to split the defence to one of our forwards. Think it’s time to break the voodoo and can see us sneaking a 2-1 win

• 39 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Good call Ian.

We need to be like Chelsea I think.

Get our most offensive players on the pitch and give then license to operate in the opposition half as they see fit.

Don’t worry about if benny stays wide right or cisse/Ba on the middle. The 4 of cisse, Ba, Ben arfa and cabaye should all have the right to roam the opposition half and find space.

The tiote and Anita can hold and assist forward when needed, same for the full backs.

• 40 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Boater…you may have a point, but try shifting Liverpool’s tactics from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and put Suarez on the RW!

…now tell me would he influence the game more than Benny?

• 41 Ashton // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Playing hoofball tactics and tracking back more than attacking isn’t helping Ben Arfa’s game. Put Suarez in our team and he won’t do as well as Ben Arfa has done.

• 42 fray bentos // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Comments abouts letting our offensive players have unlimited freedom in the oppostions half just confounds my view that posters think our players are far better than they actually are

Im sorry but Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and Cabaye has nowhere the attacking ability of Chelsea attacking force

• 43 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I don’t think we are going to see an effective 4-4-2 brfore we have a RB who can hold his own and who can push forward and cross the ball.

We probably need a ball playing CB as well, because when the opposition close us down we hoof it (there is no point denying it, we do) That is why Cabs and Benny sometimes go missing.

• 44 Magpies-till-d3ath // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Tarie4- Neymar doesn’t dive! He will be the best player in the world, the only problem is that he knows that himself. #cocky

• 45 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Fray

Cisse is up there with Torres, at least urgent Torres

Ben arfa is good on the ball, similar to hazard

Cabaye and Oscar aren’t that different in abaility, Spain coach compared him with xavi the other week

Only problem is Ba would be in Mata’s position which wouldn’t work.

I’m not saying we are as good as Chelsea, just saying we need to let our attacking players attack as their main objective not defend as we make them

• 46 roshan MAGPIE // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

what do you guys think about this

• 47 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

That’s rubbish.

He is nowhere near the beat cb in the league.

Having a decent season but not top quality

• 48 tequilamag // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Roshan, are you trying to give Kets a stroke. Not the best by any stretch but still underrated by many on here.

• 49 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I think Ben Arfa is a far more talented and magical player.

For a start he doesn’t simply try to nutmeg the defender every time he has the ball like Suarez. Becomes a bit predictable after 30 attempts in a match and 2 coming off.

• 50 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Nov 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM

@ TransferSage – I think Oscar has more ability than cabaye. I really like Cabaye, but I think Oscar could turn into a seriously top class player.

• 51 Transfer Sage // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’m not doubting Oscar is a talent but cabaye plays amazing for France so either e isn’t applying himself or we aren’t getting the best out of him.

I know our played aren’t as good as Chelsea’s but its more an example.

Last year Chelsea played very defensive and did well but narrowly won games and hung on a lot.

This year they have a few more creative players and they let them attack.

In not saying we will do as well as them or that we should forget about defending, just suggesting maybe we would play better if we have out lads that bit more freedom to get involved in the final third.

• 52 woolerbill // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ben would be good in be hide a lone sticker, ie 4.4.1.1 system.

• 53 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I would imagine a worrying feature from an arsenal or chelsea point of view is their a ability to ship goals lately. Ok its their league teams. But with injuries that’s the back line they would be using. Strangely for a liverpool side they don’t have even that depth which is why we should be getting at them this weekend.

• 54 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

@TransferSage – totally agree with that.
    I get really confused with this- does Pardew literally tell his players:
    “right, when you get it, I want you to hoof it as if you’re terrified of the thing every time you get it. Whatever you do, don’t pass it into our most talented players’ feet….”

If not, then he needs to do better coaching them, because that’s how I see they’re playing at the moment.

• 55 BelfastMagpie // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Kets would probably cut his wrists after reading that Williamson piece.Haha

• 56 colwell // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Play HBA up front then? I can’t see him finding it too hard to go round just 1 CB instead of 5/6 players first.

Why not though Pards isn’t exactly playing players in their best positions atm. We have great attack minded players but from what we can all see he is trying to make them think of their defensive duties first.

Ben Arfa,Cabaye,Ba and Cisse should just concentrate on goals. Whilst Pards wants us to concede less we aren’t attacking games and inviting pressure on ourselves.

Play to our strengths, our defence is poor as it is. Best form of defence is ATTACK!

• 57 lotoplus // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I really like Hatem and watched him plenty of times before playing for the Magpies.
    Only few players are able to provide this excitment when he drives with the ball imho.
    But, but,..his problem has always been to loose balls that put in danger his teammates and sometimes he’s too stubborn by keeping too much the ball (sometimes, yes).

I wish he played one game thinking to himself ‘Okay, today, I promise to myself I won’t loose a single ball and make play well my partners’. (a bit like Özil)

• 58 fray bentos // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

@transfer sage

Its hard to compare Torres and Cisse as they are different players but really unless Cisse is finishing or has the ball in the box there isn’t really much else to him, whereas in my opinion Torres does alot more around the pitch and is better in the system you are talking about

Hazard is superior to Ben Arfa in my opinion, if Ben Arfa was so good consistnetly why didn’t any of the big teams put 25 plus bids in for him, he would have went thats for sure. Sure ben arfa is amazing on his day but he’s not consistent and doesn;t do it againt the best opposition enough to be up their with the very best

Cabaye i don’t see as an out and out attacking midfielder so again hard to compare with Oscar but from what ive seen i would much rather have Oscar haning around the edge of the box

Then Chelsea have Mata, need i say more

Ba is great but he’s not some great technical passing type playe

Don’t get me wrong, they are all great players but we are far behing the bigger teams like Chelsea

• 59 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

lotoplus – thats Hatem though, takes risks. The danger part I think much depends on who he is playing alongside and who is covering behind him. I notice that every time he gets the ball I would say at least 2 and often 3 players are dragged to him, which means we can afford to back the lad up with a good passing player and a midfielder/fb who can guard his six. However, as many have observed, the player most likely would be the AM type, notably Cabaye or Obertan, possibly Jonas but someone who makes themselves available for quick interchanges, and this int happening especially in Cabaye because the team shape pulls him back too far most of the time. I think HBA would prefer this to just striking out and taking chances all the time, and I notice that he is more likely to pass these days than take daft chances in his own half or a vacant midfield. I dont think he is arrogantly wasteful in the mould of say Sturridge who could have assisted 3 more chelsea goals last night if he wasnt such a greedy git.

I do agree wth the idea that too much caution invites more danger, and we seem to do that a bit too often. It seems that we have gone lately from last seasons’ extreme of gung-ho FB’s and high lines to sitting deep and just inviting teams to come to us.

• 60 GeordieTwo // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The article claiming Willo is the best CB in the Prem is one of the strangest I have read in quite some time. So Willo is better than Colo? Do they actually watch the games in the Prem before making their ratings? Do they look at what a CB does with the ball once he gets it? Willo usually boots it up the field aimlessly if he is under any pressure at all whereas Colo often beats a man and makes a decent pass forward. I’m just comparing him with our main CB let alone many others. Is Willo in the England team? If he is so good why not? They should be questioning their rating method after that article. Ridiculous to say the least.

• 61 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Willo the best CB? Stats tell a quite lateral story sometimes. Ketsy will be lying down with a cold flannel on his forehead and some sugary tea by his side.

• 62 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Stats can be cherry picked to make any player look like a world beater. I mean send a statistician to watch me play 5 a-side and he could probably show that I am better than Messi :)

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

This thread is just too bizarre…even for me.

Willo the best CB?
    Wanting HBA to be more like Suarez?
    Big Pappa better than Messi?

Kets….Can I borrow your cold flannel please.

• 64 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Has anyone else had a look at the banner on top of the page – it almost looks like Pardew has a glowing halo on his head :D lol

• 65 toonLYF // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I really think Pardew will start the match in a 4-3-3 on Sunday, in order to match up with Liverpool. He has acknowledged the fact our build up play has been slow and dreary, coupled with the fact Ba is not going to start…i except this team…

———————Tim———————

Simpson—–Willo—-Coloccini—-Santon

————-Perch——–Jonas————-
    ——————-Cabaye——————-

Ben Arfa———-Cisse———-Sammy

I’d personally have Ferguson over Sammy, but Pardew likes to reward players who come off the bench to make a difference with a start in the next match – can’t argue there really.

• 66 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

LYF…I think you’re right (I have been doing a lot of consultant work for the silver supremo this week…pro bona of course ;)) lol

• 67 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

ToonLYF….I’d be delighted with that set-up. Unless we lose of course, then I will blame Pardew for not sticking to his guns. That’s the joy of being a fan…supposedly :)

Jesper….You’ve just noticed the halo? It’s not just on the banner, do you not watch our games?

• 68 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Ibiza…now that you say it I always thought there was a certain glow about him whenever he was being interviewed ;-)

…lately I am using my tablet when I am on the blog (and the blog looks nothing like it does on my laptop)

But you should know by now I tend to be a bit slow :-D lol

• 69 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Sorry, I missed Willo and Simmo in your team. We’re sure to lose and that does not leave me delighted.

Jesper….Maybe only certain people can see the halo? I would never call you slow (But I guess If I did it’d take you a while to figure it out :) ), perhaps you have evolved as a human and have now seen the light?

Okay, I’m spouting rubbish and am only a few posts in. Any interesting news today?

• 70 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ibiza…nothing crazy really!

Did you see by the way Laudrup’s Swansea took care of the bindippers in the League Cup :-D

It should be plausible :-D

• 71 fray bentos // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Photoshop blend function introduces the new Alan Pardew style

• 72 toonLYF // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Ibiza… didn’t you hear? Willo is the best CB in the league :)

• 73 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

A subtle touch of lens flare above his left ear should complete the aura…..

Hope that halo stays put after the liverpool game.

• 74 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Jesper….I still have some respect for Liverpool, but I in no way fear them. If we play our best or somewhere near we can certainly give them a game.

LYF…..I heard, still in shock tbh :)

• 75 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Do we need to fear a big money bid coming in for the best CB in the league?

• 76 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I think Willo will be off to Man U to shore up their unsteady back line. Still we could use the £25m to buy some decent replacements so its not all bad. :)

• 77 gonufc (up and Hatem) // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Crikey, imagine that… Williamson scores against liverpool and a nice 25m bid comes in for their new star striker…..

• 78 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

So you guys are saying we are going to lose the best CB and RB in the league come January?

…Kets will be thrilled (but how does he feel about them being the best ;-)) lol

• 79 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Well if that turns out to be true then I’ll have to give up and accept we’ve become a selling club. We need to be keeping our best players, simple as.

• 80 toonLYF // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ibiza…i’m fearing a Kash plus Kompany deal from city, doubt Mike will turn it down.

• 81 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Jesper….Simmo was the best RB last season, please do keep up. We should have sold him in the summer before everyone realised he was league 2 standard (at best).

• 82 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

LYF….I sure hope not. That would be awful business. I’ve somehow managed to get over only getting £35m for Carroll, despite them not spending it all and only bringing in Ba and Cisse, but to lose Willo, for whatever player plus cash deal with surely be the end of us.

*looks up to the sky*

“WHHHHYYYYY?????”

• 83 cockneymagpie90 // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Alan Pardew is a tactical nightmare, thats my verdict!

I wont take away his man management skills but tactically very frustrating!!!

We should be using Benny boy up top just sitting behind the two Dembas and then have a 3 man midfield in Cabaye, Tiote and Gutierrez. Then have a flat back four in Santon, Colo, Taylor and and Simmo.

4312 formation is the way to go!!

Come on pardew sort it out mate!!!!!

• 84 Marty-Toon // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

When Ben Arfa starts hurting opposition teams the way Suarez does (apart from the diving part) then we can start to compare them.
    Benny does some good things and some great things in many games but Suarez sticks the ball in the net and looks like doing so in almost every game and almost every chance he gets

• 85 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ibiza…but chances are if we keep Willo until the summer ppl really realize he is just league 2 standard at best as well :-)

…we might have to sell in January (we will lose Simmi for nothing now and he was a £25M at least last season)

• 86 jesperfuglsang // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

*Simmo

• 87 Ian Toon // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Tsunki@4.47pm- good post. We need to play a higher line with more passes in the final third to HBA, Cabaye, Ba/ Cisse. Then we would pose more of an attacking threat.
    We can’t really afford to have Simpson content to stay behind the play and not join in the build up of attacks. Time is ripe for introduction of Fergi at left back and santon switching to the right. Obertan to play through the middle coming on as sub depending on state of play. Let’s be bold and give Pool something. Pardew cannot say he’s had no time to prepare.

• 88 seancavaz // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Suarez 6 goals 2 assists playing as a striker, Ben Arfa 2 goals 1 assist playing as a right winger……lets put Ben Arfa up front, in the hole as Peter Beardsley used to play, then compare the two….. ATM it’s unfair, but I’d have Ben Arfa in my team any day above Donkey! Maybes Ben Arfa should fall down more easily, then take over penalties and free kicks and then see the difference!

• 89 Ian Toon // Nov 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM

On phone. Pool something to think about.

• 90 lotoplus // Nov 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

@Tsunki – yes, compared to before, HBA somehow understands passing especially in his own half is a better option. And I also agree he is not that selfish in his mind compared to others even if the outcome may seem so.
    The main problem is that he needs to be understood (his vision of the game is so sharp that if his partners position themselves like he wants, then it’s a great threat for the opponents). With experience, his teammates understands him more but still he needs more backup like you said. They must anticipate his dribbles (which is certainly not a simple thing to do) and be positionned in consequence.

About the caution idea. I feel this when back passes are made to Krul, who puts highballs to forwards but we lack ability to earn second balls. Newcastle, in order to progress, needs to play more the ball on the ground starting from the keeper (doesn’t have to be almost all the time like Barca does, but good choices from the keeper have to be made when to let in on ground and when to find Sh.Ameobi/Ba for high balls)

previous post: Newcastle Star To Test The Waters In January Transfer Window