The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Jonas Wonders About Jose Enrique’s Weird New Hair Style

11:17 am, Friday, November 2nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 258 Comments

Jose Enrique is in and out of the first team at Liverpool these days, although when we’ve seen him play recently he’s looked a good player, but he may not be a player that new manager Brendan Rodgers particularly likes, and that’s always a problem when a new manager arrives at a club.

Enrique sports new hair-cut against Everton - Jonas doesn’t like it

As soon as Brendan arrived it seemed to be curtains for Andy Carroll, because the new manager plays with the ball on the ground, and there looked little chance of a future at Liverpool for the former Newcastle striker, once the former Swansea manager arrived at Anfield.

And sure enough Andy was shunted off to play for West Ham on loan  for the season, and it’s unlikely he has any future at Liverpool, unless the manager changes yet again.

And it could even be the same for Jose, although he looks as good as ever at Liverpool, but the Spaniard is not getting a lot of playing time.

And last weekend Jose showed off his new hairstyle – which showed a distinct lack of hair on top – and he’s clean-shaven his head although he sports a beard these days – it looks weird.

The Argentinian had this to say today in the local press about his Spanish friend:

“Maybe he’s done it because he’s losing a lot of hair.” (yeah – right) “If it’s not for that reason it is a bad decision. I would never do that. No chance. I will always stick with my hairstyle.”

“He is a big friend of mine still.” “He was a player that we enjoyed having here when he was here. We had a good relationship with him.” “Me, him and Colo still speak a lot.” “Maybe he is finding it a bit tough at Liverpool this season.”

“He is still a really good player.” “He has to be careful and not get too down.” “Jose will learn to play the way he did here again.” “I saw the table and it is very close.” “There are only four or five points between the two clubs.”

“If you get a few wins you can be in fifth place.” “The most important thing now is to go game by game.” “We can’t think about final positions in November.” “The next game is important.” “And we know we it will be difficult at Liverpool.”

We hope Jonas doesn’t ever shave his head – what a sight that would be – and not very pleasant to be sure.

It’s good that Jonas is going to spare us from that.

Hey – we need all three points at Anfield on Sunday afternoon, in a game that is being broadcast live around the world.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Jonas Gutierrez · Jose Enrique · Newcastle News · Premier League

258 responses so far ↓

• 1 IITianToon // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Looks like a small time villain from those Bond flicks :D

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM

It is widely known that Rodgers picks his team using the duck, duck, goose selection process. Therefore, I imagine Enrique has shaved his hair off to match those in his team with the aim to maybe tricking Brendan and getting selected instead. Clutching at straws Enrique.

As for Jonas, is he saying Enrique has said he is having a bad time at Liverpool?

Does Enrique want out? Would we sign him? Am I bored?

Answers, Don’t know, don’t know, yes.

• 3 IITianToon // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza are you a househusband? :D

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM

IITian….Did you reach this conclusion from the amount of time I am on here?

The answer is no, but are you looking for one?

• 5 IITianToon // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Yes. Though I have not concluded anything about you. Well except the fact that you must have a Harry Potter like scar on your bum, due to all the hours spent sitting on the fence!
    No. But do they have a shop for them somewhere? :D

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

IITian….Have you been spying on my in the shower? This is getting creepy :)

Well, I’ve never dabbled in the market for a househusband, but maybe on Ebay?

Come on then, give me a topic and I’ll jump down from my fence…

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM

on me*

Let’s not make use of the English language your topic to discuss as it seems I am not in form today

• 8 MAGICHBA // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Hatem BEN ARFA vs West bromwich (H) (28-10-12) BY Mendonakk

• 9 MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ibiza

ON form… :)

• 10 IITianToon // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Read this on ESPN website..
    “Playmakers: United have Kagawa, Chelsea have Mata, City have Silva, Arsenal have Cazorla, Liverpool have Jonjo Shelvey” Nuff said! :D

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM

MFH….Confirming my point exactly :( Perhaps today isn’t the day to climb down from my fence. Wouldn’t want my credibility to take a knock *chortle*

• 12 jimiley // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Jonas G,
    Re the hair issue:
    Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

• 13 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ibiza and Tequila…about your comment earlier (valid comments indeed) I’ll get back to you on that later…

…been a heckic morning :-D

NB: I am beginning to think Tequila and Ian are seeing the same man about a dog or same dog about a man (which one is less confusing :-)) lol

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Jesper…You will have to excuse me as I don’t remember what this valid comment was. I am assuming my usual rubbish?

• 15 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I’d take enrique back like, although i imagine he’d get a fair bit of stick :)

• 16 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM

1st comment of the day and i kill the blog, LIKE A BAUSSSS!!!

• 17 BelfastMagpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

He’s one ugly man,thats for sure..

• 18 IITianToon // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:25 PM

What are the chances of poor old Jose being back in goal again! I was so angry in the last meeting at SJP that none of our players tested his goalkeeping skills. :D

• 19 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Rainrix – Enrique on the left, Santon on the right? I can think of worse combinations to have on the pitch.

But, as we as a club don’t have the ambition to achieve what Enrique desires, I really don’t think it is very likely!!!

• 20 toonincheek // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Enrique was always supposed to be a ‘confidence’ player.
    That was something he never had in his early days with us, but developed far more after we were relegated and kept that good form after promotion.

At ‘Pool, he will be struggling for confidence, but if he plays on Sunday, I expect him to give a very good account of himself.

• 21 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Graeme… True we all know that Enrique is by far the greatest spanish left back that there has ever been, 5th place in the league is far to unambitious for him! No he prefers to wallow around in the mud with a team with ambition’s to rule world football!

Forgive me lord how could i have been so deluded! :)

• 22 Tsunki // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I would be more worried about his weird new team if I was Jose.

Yes Ibiza – my Debuchy song is indeed set to shipoopi. Does it Grind your Gears? :)

• 23 nightfa11 // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

looks like a nazi.. well..they say liverpool are racists=))

• 24 BelfastMagpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I was told by a couple of Liverpool fans,that Rodgers was trying to move him on in the last transfer window.

So I’d say if that was true we were probably offered the chance to re-sign him last summer.

He’s only managed to get into the Liverpool team lately,because Glen Jonhson got injured..

• 25 Tsunki // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I hope he somehow contrives to get a spell in goal again. What a fun day that was at our place. Haven’t laughed so much in ages. Could we justifiably sing ‘ we’re in the top 6′ if we are winning or is that too soon?

• 26 Tsunki // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Just shows how good liverpool have been at ruining players. Henderson, anyone?

I think there is a rule about hair at scouseland, due to rat lice being prevalent. I believe its called the Shelvey Protocol.

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Tsunki….It did indeed. Good work sir, good work.

Maybe “we’re in the top 6″ would be a bad chant for this game, but if we’re winning, maybe “How’s the bottom half Enrique?”

• 28 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I think jose might of roomed with suarez and he ate his hair whilst poor jose was asleep, with them huge teeth it is possible.

• 29 archaeomag // Nov 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM

It is a poor attempt at a go-faster haircut Can’t tackle with that sort of hair.
    He needs a bobble hat.

• 30 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM

archaeomag…Was only a matter of time before you popped up on this thread. At last, our hair discussion has a sensible home (thanks Jonas).

• 31 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Archeo, I have a secret weakness for Time Team and have to say some of the haircuts sported by the grave robbers on that programme leave a lot to be desired.

• 32 Munster Mag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Bring him back, and get Santon on the right where he should be!

• 33 BelfastMagpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Aye Enrique & Suarez are two great looking blokes like.

Two hamster heads… Haha

• 34 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Munster , but that would mean dropping the statistically best FB in the PL ?
    Sits back and waits for torrents of Simmo hating.

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Tequila….Couldn’t Santon be on the bench as we know he can play left or right back?

• 36 MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

tequila

Ye cannae knock our two statistical stars of the back four Simmo and Willo …

( Willo 7.6 better than Vertonghen at 7.4 )

Do statistics lie as much as politicians ?

• 37 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Good point Ibiza, Simmo has to be a starter in the all important scapegoat role. though this has been challenged by Willo and Jonas this year.

• 38 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

MFH it`s a close one.

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM

MFH….If you mean, neither lie at all, then yes, I think they do.

Tequila….Indeed. Don’t want to be looking for a new player to fill the SG position. We have other priorities at the minute.

Ed….Can we have a non Enrique hair related thread, I fail to see how we’re going to turn the content around.

• 40 archaeomag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM

@Ibiza – Jonas clearly reads this blog and I think ED has seen the power of hair therapy – I look forward more hair related articles

@tequil – apparently, – some the team don’t smell too good – not people you want to share a trench with . . . .perhaps that’s why C4 have pulled it.

• 41 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Its ok, we will get Debuchy and Sissoko in January :)

• 42 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Archeo, you have ruined my day. No more Helen Geake? She was wearing pink shorts today.

• 43 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Opta Facts

– Only one of Luis Suarez’s last nine Premier League goals has come at Anfield
    – Liverpool have only won three of their last 14 Premier League matches at Anfield (W3 D5 L6)
    – Hatem Ben Arfa (84) has embarked on more dribbles than two entire Premier League clubs this season (Aston Villa and West Brom – both 82)

SS seem to be repeating themselves a bit – great editing from the worlds largest global media company.

Always optimistic and am aware of our record and the damage Liverpool can do on their day, however, I do have a good feeling about this game and Cisse to get in amongst the goals…perhaps he’ll use his feet or head this time.

Which brings me on to my next topic, can you bet on which body part someone will score goals with?

• 44 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Ibiza…funny you should say that as a friend of mine once attempted to put a bet on for Shola to score with his penis, due to the belief of it being bigger than both of his feet…alas, he was refused, and Shola scored a beauty against Sheff Wed Away in CCC season

• 45 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

LYF….Have to ask as I don’t remember….which body part did Shola score that beauty with? :)

• 46 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Imagine this team in January if we can pull of the signings of Debuchy and Sissoko

———————-Krul———————–

–Debuchy—-Taylor——Collocini—-Santon–

——Sissoko——-Cabaye———Tiote——

———————-HBA———————-

————Cisse————–Ba—————

Or

———————-Krul———————–

–Debuchy—-Taylor——Collocini—-Santon–

———————Tiote———————–

——-HBA——–Cabaye——–Sissoko—–

————-Cisse————-Ba—————

We will also have Anita as backup for cup competitions, injury’s and the inevitable Tiote suspensions :)

• 47 archaeomag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

@tequila
    Could not possibly comment – but the you may notice the Time Team producers like a good Charlie Dimmock type T shirt shot.

Perhaps LFC should give Suarez a hard hat so he does not injure himself

• 48 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Big Pappa….Now when have me imagined that before? You’re going to be in trouble, it’s only November and you’ve already started.

Was quite funny (well, actually not that funny really), but jesper posted a link to an article from the summer and there was a fair few “debuchy close” comments, even some “he’s definitely going, hope it’s us and not Inter”.

I’m starting to feel sick.

As for Anita, I can’t imagine he’s been bought to sit on the bench and play cover for injuries / suspensions. Always up for more quality to arrive, but in midfield we’re more than covered imo, surely a big player arriving (albeit on a free) would indicate someone in that position leaving? Obviously not conclusive, but it would make more sense, to me at least.

• 49 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ibiza, It wouldn’t matter to me if it went in off the outside edge of his left testicle – a goal, is a goal mate!!

If was the winning goal he would no doubt get a double bonus of brownie points, I have no doubt.

• 50 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Archeo, that had not escaped my attention.

• 51 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Enrique coming back may not be out of the question. How much did we sell him for again? If big mike can get him for 2-3 mil, he’d be back. He loves toying with the bindippers. It’s his second favourite hobby, after food of course ;)

• 52 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

@ Ibiza

Wait, you’re telling me we definitely won’t sign Debuchy in January, Noooooooooooooo :)

• 53 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Also why the hell did we sell enrique so cheap. I mean we bought him for what 6.8mil and sold him for 6? Really? We really could have fleeced liverpool for some mocha there considering they are our finance company :)

• 54 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Ibiza, it was one of the cleanest right footed strikes you’ll see :)…ala Spurs at home last season.

• 55 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Conaldo
    Would love to see enrique back in b&w one of the few players in recent times ive seen leave that i’ve genuinly been gutted about

• 56 WWYCD // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Could care less about the lads hair was brilliant in his spot for us and a big lose to our team

Wouldnt come back to us though too much water under the bridge and hurtful words uttered plus Liverpool dont want to deal with us . Big shame as he would go straight back into our starting 11 imo

• 57 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Graeme….I don’t really care what part if goes in off either, was more of a joke. Just keep the goals coming…someone.

Although, that does raise the question, if we’re happy to score ugly goals, why are we less pleased with ugly wins?

LYF….Sounds tasty. Might have to take to youtube for Shola admiring.

Rainrix..Because Enrique wanted out and wasn’t he nearing the end of his contract?

Big Pappa….Not what I am saying at all (Of course they’re signing ;) ) Just warning you about upsetting some of our fragile readers, as I don’t think their health will hold up until January if the madness starts now.

• 58 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Ibiza…allow me, every one of Shola’s 72 goals for Newcastle United :D

• 59 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

you will cry at the end Ibiza.

• 60 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:23 PM

LYF….What a star. A true gent. A hero. I am forever in your debt :)

• 61 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Ibiza… He had like a year left, still i’d think i’d have kept him and ran his contract down. Then again if we hadn’t sold him we wouldn’t have santon.

Also now that i think about it if enrique had stayed then raylor wouldn’t have scored in the derby thus we wouldn’t have beaten the mackems and then we wouldn’t have the awesome momentum for our awesome start and thus wouldn’t have finished 5th…..

Or maybe I’m assuming too much, :p damn time paradoxes :)

• 62 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

…just spreading the joy of thy great one, my friend!

When he talks about the number 9 shirt it gets me every time, i hope he gets to wear it for his testimonial match.

• 63 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Rainrix….All I can say is that you’ve made my head hurt, or was it Enrique wanting to leave that has ultimately left my head hurting now?

At the end of the day, he wanted out and we got some money back for him. As you say, we got Santon and I am happy with that exchange, but of course having them both would be sweet.

• 64 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

My curiosity has the better of me …. Forgive my stupidity but wy do we refer to Liverpool as bindippers ?

• 65 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

LYF…Let’s hope Dennis Wise doesn’t see this video, we could lose wor Shola in the winter – scored some decent goals for us.

Only half way through, so haven’t got to the end bit yet, but tissues are at the ready (manly tissues of course, made of steel). Would love for him to be able to wear the number 9 shirt (sadly not week in week out though, great servant, but not a Newcastle no.9).

Back to the video!

• 66 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

LYF – a complete career in a matter of minutes!! It has taken him something like 14 years to score them, which averages out at around a magnificent FIVE goals a season!!

We have had FB’s & CB’s who have averaged that in a season – BUT, not over 14 years. I guess his consistency says it all. Does he make the NUFC record books??

• 67 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Graeme… Yes he should make the record books, a consistent mackem slayer deserves a place in any book :)

• 68 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

If you want a bit of nostalgia, try this one

• 69 archaeomag // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM

@Blaydon-Toon
    It might be to imply that their supporters are so lacking moral fibre that they would steal from the blind, [ port city lots of dockers. . . ]
    . .references to cars up on bricks that too long to type.

• 70 dmac // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Pretty sure its to do with them taking our rubbish…

• 71 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Rainrix – I meant as a leading Goal Scorer, given that he’s allegedly employed as a Striker!!

His efforts against the scum are praiseworthy indeed, but one would expect a lot more from a Striker – average ones would probably expect to score 72 in maybe 6 or 7 seasons, but many mid-fielders get close to that!!

• 72 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Jesper- I said your a great one for idioms. Not your a great idiot. What is this about others looking for a man with a dog. I am confused but will be ecstatic after watching us beat the scallywags 2-0. Have a good time.

• 73 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Do you guys have the great pleasure of Christmas beers where you are from and a C-day (the day the Christmas beers land in the bars and shops)?

Today is C-day or as we call it J-dag here in Denmark :-)

It’s like christmas for grown ups…lol

• 74 Mister Tuff // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Changing the subject slightly and getting back to the thread on player retention – I really wonder why AP highlighted in public that Demba Ba still has the release clause in his contract. Old “Arry” was slagged off for bringing this matter into the public arena in the first place. AP has done exactly the same. I thought at the time that AP was sending out a signal that BA was available for purchase. Selling BA would indeed be one
    means of rectifying the “Ba and Cisse cannot play together” theory.
    At present the only problem with this theory is that Ba, has probably been our best player, certainly when his goals are factored in.
    We then hear from the club that players will have to be sold before any news signings are made. We then hear that in the right circumstances Ashley will provide the cash for signings. The club seem to have created
    uncertainty in their publicly stated policies.
    I still recall that Ashley has tried to sell the club, apparently twice, and I wonder if the current policies are just designed to make NUFC a better proposition,
    finance wise, for putting the club back on the market. In view of what Ashley has done previously, I therefore doubt that he has any long term afinity with NUFC and
    that his long term intention is to sell ,to recoup his initial outlay rather than being a owner who has won things.

• 75 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Ian…I would hope not :-D

…the dog reference or looking for a man reference, was because Tequila had to leave to see a man about a dog ;-) or a dog about a man; can’t remember :-D

Thought you guys might be seeing the same guy about the same dog lol

• 76 archaeomag // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

@jesperfuglsang
    No, starting in September Christmas just creeps up like unstoppable tsunami of glutinous cheery overpriced goo .

• 77 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Jesper – you can usually tell Christmas is very close; the Easter Eggs hit the shelves lol.

• 78 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Archaeo…this is different mate :-)

…we have beer taste here that tops wine tasting :-)

Chrismas beers are a tradition in Denamrk and a most :-) The streets of Denmark will flow with beer and ppl :-)

How I love this day!

• 79 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM

You guys are just ruining what is a great day here! :-)

• 80 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Jesper, we need a supply chain setting up in time for next year – either you send the beer here, or we all come over to Denmark. It doesn’t take that long on the ferry!!!

• 81 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Streets flowing with beer and pp (pee pee?)….how gross, but not unlike the UK I suppose.

Mister…It certainly is a theory that does hold water for me. I still see that as somewhat of a positive though. If Mike does want out and no one would stump up the cash to buy us before, surely by getting us in shape and being able to attract a new owner is good?

Well, that’s one side of it, but we don’t know who would come in and whether they would be any better. I’m not sure where I stand on it and frankly don’t see the point trying to guess the right answer, what will be, will be.

However, I even though they were bought cheaply, why would we need to buy the type of players we have if he wasn’t interested in propelling us as a club? Probably could have assembled a mid-table team a lot easier and dare I say it, cheaper.

For me, it’s a win win, if he’s somewhat genuine, we will continue to improve (Yes, i do consider the past 3 years improvement), if it’s all just to sell the club, loads of fans would get what they want and in the meantime, the clubs affairs would have been sorted and a better squad will be in place.

• 82 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Graeme…What an idea. I would just like to point out though that I have a room shotgunned at Jespers already.

LYF…Video completed, thanks for that.

Jesper…How could anyone ruin a day based around beer? Oh right, I forgot this blog can even ruin a day where we win a match. Apologies.

• 83 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Ibiza… Dont forget we’re sharing ;). Although i’d be surprised if jesper would let me in his house after yesterday, ah i’ll buy him a beer then he’ll be fine :)

• 84 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Graeme…well, in my opinion he deserves a testimonial match as much as Shearer did.

As cliche as it is, the man is Newcastle United.

Top5 favourite players of the last decade?

5.Nolberto Solano
    4.Shola Ameobi
    3.Hatem Ben Arfa
    2.Alan Shearer
    1.Shay Given

• 85 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Anita should be in the lineup ahead of Tiote. It makes sense to sign Sissokho for free and get rid of Tiote for £25m to Liverpool, Man City or Man Utd. We can improve the whole squad with that cash. Get money from the sales of Simpson, Williamson, Gosling and Tavernier (£7.5m total). We will then have £32.5m to spend a new players.

• 86 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM

@graeme half an hour ago :)… True he isn’t exactly prolific but still he never has been, i don’t know maybe not the record books but a legend all the same :)

• 87 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM

1. Laurent Robert
    2. Alan Shearer
    3. Ben Arfa
    4. Demba Ba
    5. Olivier Bernard/Solano/Dyer

• 88 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM

How many players could shoot like Robert? Maybe Roberto Carlos, Risse and Andreas Brehme?

• 89 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Kets i’m glad you said Olivier Bernard, him or Robert would be my 6.

• 90 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Top 5 most underrated players:

1. Acuna
    2. Didier Domi
    3. Andreas Andersson
    4. Viana
    5. Xisco

• 91 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Pavel Nedved – he once made a goal collapse by hitting the bar, that’s when you kna’ you’ve got a shot on you :)

• 92 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM

1. Shearer
    2. Solano
    3. Given
    4. HBA
    5. Robert

• 93 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Nobody startle him…..stay very still…..

So, this top 5 list, is it favourites or best?

Rainrix…Don’t worry mate, I haven’t forgotten and we’ll sneak you in somehow.

• 94 toonLYF // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

favourites Ibiza – saying “best” would cause too many arguements, and the way things have been on here lately, it’s the last thing i’d like to do ;)

• 95 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Agreed, Bambi is a leg end, but for all the wrong reasons for a Striker. Yes, he does deserve a Testimonial and will probably get one – when he hanks up his boots – in 4 or 5 years lol

• 96 Mister Tuff // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

ibiza @#81. I agree with your last paragraph ref a “win win” situation. Regardless what Ashleys motives are- I am convinced that in order to achieve them he will have to spend a bit of cash. (to be successful or make the club more attractive for sale). Currently I believe that NUFC will have a busy January transfer window.

• 97 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Personal Fav’s:

1) Shearer
    2) Colo
    3) HBA
    4) Given
    5) Solano.

Temuri would get in there, but I think he left a couple of years before this “10 year list” ;)

On top of that, at the time, Andy Carroll (had such high hopes), Gary Speed (pretty sure he was still with us early 2000’s and of course Kuqi.

• 98 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Ibiza @ 82 – What you and Jesper do is nowt to do with me mate, live and let live and all that. I’m more than happy with a hotel room, hot water, cold beer. Hot & Cold running women at all times.

Sounds an amazing place for a week or so lol

• 99 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Mister…Bold statement there sir, wait a minute, what do you mean by busy? Outgoing, incoming or both? :)

LYF….Probably for the best. Can I use that word in this instance without an outbreak of bickering?

• 100 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Then it is settled – C-day here in Aarhus, Denmark next year :-)

Graeme…are you England based? Fly is is faster ;-)

Carlsberg have a micro brewery called Jacobsen after the late great J. C. Jacobsen and their beers are just the best :-)

I have bought a Jacobsen Naked Christmas Ale, a Willemoes Christmas 2012 and wait for it…a Fuglsang Ding Dong Christmas beer ;-)

• 101 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I was thinking the other day has any NUFC player scored two better goals in one game than Cisse against chelsea ? . The closest I could come up with was Laurent Robert vs Spurs. I loved Robert like, never scored an easy goal :)

• 102 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Also Robert’s left foot is the greatest I have seen Grace NUFC. His crazy flick goal against Fulham was actually the first game I ever went to as well, I suppose that is why I have such a soft spot for him :)

• 103 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Grame…Thank you, you have shown great respect :) Depending on the flow of women though, I may dump Jesper and come hang with you. Now watch you rescind that “don’t care what you do” stance.

Jesper…You have your own ding dong beer?

• 104 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Rainrix…I cannot remember what you did yesterday ;-) I am willing to let by gones be by gones as long as it wasn’t you who need chaining outside :-D lol

…wait I thing that was either TADS or Tequila ;-) lol

• 105 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Jesper, I’m in England at the moment but I live and work in Nigeria. Flying would be main choice!!

I have no doubt the beer in Denmark is far superior to the rubbish we get over there. There are adequate compensations though – the local women are stunningly beautiful in Nigeria!! Its a hard life!!

• 106 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Wait jesper didnt you say yesterday fuglsang meant birdsong? So you have a birdsong ding dong christmas beer? :) Ah you crazy danes!

• 107 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

http://www.brewdog.com/if you want a quality beer look no further than the mighty Brewdog

• 108 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Jesper… Be careful with your wording mate, chaining is gonna send us down that dark path again ;)

Graeme… Nigeria huh, Do you work on the rigs by chance?

• 109 Mister Tuff // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

ibiza @#99.
    Ithink/hope they will be buying in at least 2 new players -capable of going straight into the first ream.

• 110 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Ibiza, no mate, whatever floats your boat – as long as its not me – I doubt you could reach anyway though lol.

• 111 HullMag6 // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Omg I cannot believe I’m agreeing with Kets. Sign sissoko sell tiote especially if we can get 20mil+.

Future cdm pairing Anita and Sissoko. Works for me.

Ams Ben Arfa, Cabs, marv/sammy/fergi

Etc etc.

• 112 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Ibiza…try googeling Fuglsang brewery ;-)

• 113 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Thanks for the video Big Pappa, beautiful stuff.

• 114 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Rainrix, no mate, I work in Jos & Abuja, managing my own company. I have no desire to work down in the South – thats bandit country!!

• 115 toonking // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

hi guyes
    seems like you having a good chat about newcastle great of the past decade
    mytop 5 players would be these
    1.solano
    2 shearer
    3 shola ameobi
    4 given
    5 harper or speed

as for players like HBA and ba well i still feel it is too early to put them in the list because he has only just started playing constant this year so teams are only just starting to discover his talent.
    a good way to descirbe what i am saying is think of the time we still had carroll and enrique both of them could have been part of the top 5 listing but after the manner they left no way would i have wanted to class them as top 5 players.

• 116 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Graeme…It was the “women at all times” bit that got my interest, fear not :) I am intrigued though, what is it that you doubt I could reach?

Mister…I have a similar feeling, although I did in the summer also (my theory is the summers failed “plans” will be rectified this winter).

Hullmag….Straight to the doctor for you.

• 117 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Rainrix…that’s right Fuglsang means Birdsong :-)

…their eastern beer is called Early Bird ;-) lol

What’s wrong with the word chaining? (is it not a word or does it mean something else?) lol

Graeme…nigeria you say :-) I have never been there but I’ll take your word for it :-)

• 118 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Tequila…Never heard of brewdog….From their website though I am certainly intrigued. Am I really going to start shipping in beer to Ibiza – I’m thinking that might be a new low for me.

• 119 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ibiza – I doubt you could reach me – I’m 6′ 8″ and not prone to bending over lol.

But, once the hot and cold running women are established, I doubt you will be chasing me in the first place lol

• 120 jesperfuglsang // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

*was means to say easter beer B-) lol

• 121 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Just a question who the hell is going to pay 25 million for TIOTE??!?!?!?

No one is the answer we will be lucky to get half that with his current form the guy is injury prone, always gets suspended and cannot really do more than win a tackle and pass it backwards most of the time and give away stupid free kicks!

You only have too look at similar players to him such as Mulumbu or Scott Parker yes they can hound players and tackle all day like he does but they can actually get involved in going forward as well and actually influence games a bit more think Tiote is heavily over rated by the majority of Toon fans!

If we can get 10 million for him in January i would take it as it would allow us to get Sissoko, Debuchy and Hangeland/Douglas or Mbiwa in January as there value will have went down substantially we could maybe get them all for just over 10 in the January sales you know Ashley loves a bargain!!!

• 122 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Jesper… Chains and chaining people up? Yeah thats just my mind going somewhere it shouldnt! Lets just keep our childlike innoccence :)

Graeme… Ah the old bandit problem eh. I wish i had that excuse to use on my girlfriend.

“honey should we go out?”

“nah too many bandits around maybe tomorrow”

Alas i can dream :)

• 123 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Graeme….As long as your not dark and handsome as well as tall, we should be okay. I think we’re probably best to leave this joke here, can’t see it getting any better :)

Okay, last one, what’s 7″ between friends?

Okay, I’m done. I promise.

• 124 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ibiza , can`t answer that one i`m afraid . have no Idea as to what depths you would sink. To everyone else living in the beautiful sunny NE though Brewdog have opened a pub in Newcastle.

• 125 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Santon… Tiote is overpriced by most people. 15 mil would be reasonable. I think selling carroll for so much has sort of warped our minds a bit when it comes to money

• 126 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Rainrix – In the south of Nigeria, kidnapping for ransom is a major sport. Its best just not to be there.

• 127 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Tequila….Well, if they have a pub in Newcastle, I’d probably be best to fly there, catch a game and sample this beer. Yeah, that sounds much better, although unlikely anytime soon.

• 128 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Ibiza – err, far too close lol

• 129 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

So, predictions time people…

Man Utd v Arsenal 3-2
    Fulham v Everton 2-2
    Norwich v Stoke 1-1
    Sunderland v Aston Villa 0-0
    Swansea v Chelsea 1-2
    Tottenham v Wigan 3-1
    West Ham v Man City 1-4
    Sunday
    QPR v Reading 1-1
    Liverpool v Newcastle 1-2

Also, has there ever been a weekend that has seen four new managers taking charge of teams before, as is happening in the championship?

• 130 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

@Rainrix

Aye its just a shame Dalglish did not keep his job last season he would have probably convinced the owners to splash out 25 million on Tiote and 30 million on BA……

• 131 Tsunki // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Hang on here – just how much is the BEST DM in the league worth then? I have been misled.

• 132 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Grame….And so it was laid to rest :) How long have you been out in Nigeria and what took you there?

• 133 rainrix // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Graeme… Not a sport id like to participate in, i’ll stick to hunting homeless on horseback a true englishmens sport :)

• 134 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM

C**ts!

x

• 135 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ruddy Jiz…Love you too mate x

• 136 HullMag6 // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Hangeland? Didn’t know he was a target/option i used to rate him.

Douglas has a liability of a temperament not unlike tiote I believe – unecessary cards etc. I’d rather we looked elsewhere. If debuchy can be got and cheer cabs up get him over the line. January could be interesting or will it be as frustrating the summer?

Time will tell HOWAY.

• 137 Tsunki // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Groan. Frudster haunting the blog.

• 138 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Ibiza – I’ve been in Nigeria since October 2007.
    I ended up in Nigeria, completely by accident – basically helping my ex wife. Have lived overseas for best part of 25 years, so no big deal.
    A year in Lagos – a totally crazy city of about 20 million and the traffic is just soooo BAD. 18 months in Abuja, now 18 months in Jos.

Nigeria is a fabulous place to be – nothing at all like its reputation. To be fair, even the South is far more settled over the past 2 – 3 years as the problems are being tackled. I may have mentioned this before, but the women are gorgeous lol

• 139 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:34 PM

The trouble is there is too little value in the market and too few realistic targets who can come in and improve the team. I think the club will sit on the players they have, continue to develop the kids and bring in targeted experienced quality players only if the price is right. I could see them bringing in 3 top players in Jan or none depending on whose available and at what price. But more likely none than 3. I don’t think they have any intention of panic or impulse buying or bowing to fan pressure as far as transfers are concerned in the Jan window.

• 140 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Graeme…So, cutting through the doing it for so and so b*ll*cks…it’s basically down to the gorgeous women? :)

You mentioned having your own business, what is it you do? Let me guess….gorgeous women? I need a change in careers.

Haven’t made it over to Africa at all, but yes, it’s reputation does put one off somewhat. Mind you, you can hear stories about lots of places, some of which I have visited and generally if you take care and don’t act the stupid tourist, you should be okay. Have some South African friends who all highly recommend visiting, will have to be done one day (nothing to do with the women though, I’m all about the culture).

• 141 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Sad to say but I think you are absolutely right jawballs @139. Not only won’t Ash/Llam not panic they won’t do anything particularly positive either. We won’t spend even reasonable money and because of that we will slide down the table to 8th or 9th. No Europe next season but Ashley doesn’t care because of the big new TV contract. Attendance drops off a little? No problem, big new TV contract. Top players start to get fed up with lack of ambition? No problem, big new TV contract.

• 142 check the toastie // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Top 5 in last ten years for me.

1. Alan Shearer
    2. Gary Speed
    3. Jonathan woodgate
    4. Andy Carroll
    5. Hatem Ben Arfa

Personally Sir Bobbies team would have ripped this current one apart, all down to management see……Think our cuurent squad is stronger than Bobbies, however Bobby would have had this team top 4 for sure….

The man who got us top 4 with a back four of Griffin, Obrien, Bramble and Pistone, Pure Genius. And Robert was the laziest player i have ever seen in a toon shirt, but he was allowed to produce his quality in the final third (dynamite at times), unlike Ben10 who has been strangled, along with a few others.

• 143 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Evening gents.

Just to chip in with my favourite 5 Toon players of the last decade:

1. Shearer
    2. Given
    3. Solano
    4. Speed
    5. Colo

Was trying to fit in more players out of the current crop but I grew up with Sir Bobby’s side and naturally have more of a connection with that side, but HBA and Tiote are close. He has a dodgy disciplinary record and has had a slow start to the season but I love the man.

Anyway, where are we all standing on the weekend’s game against the Pool? Personally I think we might snatch a 1-0 win or a bore scoreless draw. We can keep Suarez quiet, and if you do that you nullify their main threat.

• 144 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM

My top 5. Shearer Given Rob Lee Nobby Solano Ginola

• 145 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Not a bad top 5 check the toastie @142. Not sure about Carroll as he wasn’t with us long enough. Same with Ben Arfa and I agree he is not being used well at all by Pardew. If we drop 3 or 4 places in the league this season will Pardew still be considered a great manager? I think he is closer to average than great. I would have Moyes over Pardew any time. He does far more with far less money than Pardew. Still we could be worse off thinking back to Joe Kinnear and the like.

• 146 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I’m fascinated y this weekends match. We’ve pretty much been Liverpools bitches all my life as far as I can tell, but in the last couple of seasons we’ve managed to claw back some dignity and Liverpool don’t look so great at the mo, although I think Rodgers will ultimately succeed. I also think he was right about Andy, who doesn’t score enough goals. Different proposition for us, with his other attributes and being a local lad, but not enough goals for a top team.

• 147 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Check…Do you think there is any merit in the idea that the overall quality of the PL has improved so much over the past 10 years that it is not not as easy to afford to effectively play with 10 men and one that can just do as they please? Or is it more a case of players just aren’t as good as they used to be in your opinion?

It seems the gulf in quality these days is a lot less, so therefore individual brilliance is harder and harder to see. Hmmm….

• 148 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Ibiza – very close mate, but in total honesty, I’m there to earn a crust, running my own Facilities Management Company, currently looking after a 500 bed Hospital, employing 35 staff.

I would say SA is a lot more dangerous than Nigeria, but as I haven’t been there, it can’t be a true reflection of the actual situation. However there are more murders, rapes, gang crime in any of the mains cities than in the whole UK

Now, I may be wrong on this, but I always thought getting to know the local populace, what they like, how they perform, how they do things etc was a very good way to understand the local culture – but, as I said, I could be wrong!!

• 149 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

GeordieTwo

Disagree with you about Pardew, I think he is a very good manager, with very set ideals about how he would like to play the game, but sees the flaws in the team even more than we as fans do. He will not play a certain system if he thinks we will expose these flaws, he’s a realist.

And as far as the comparison with what Moyes does with his cash and what Pardew has done with his cash; Pards has made excellent signings on a relatively small budget. Moyes is the master at the bargain signing and if Pards is second only to Moyes in that right then I would be content with that, Moyes will manage one of the “big clubs” before too long as he is a truly world class manager.

• 150 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

@Hull Mag

Only mentioned Hangeland as he is having a contract dispute with Fulham so he is another one that will be a free agent in June and we are always on the look out for a free transfer!!!

He is still shit hot for Fulham him and Colo would be awesome together for another couple of years till Good and Streete are ready to take their place….

Actually if you see the quality of players who’s contract runs out this coming summer we could get a few top drawer players for next to nothing

I think we will see a lot of our younger players out on loan in January as well as Pardew is testing the waters to see who he can count on to come in and do a job think we will see Gosling, Abeid, Tavernier and maybe even Marveux out on loan !!

• 151 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Geordie two, judging by the amount of flak that Pardew gets after finishing 5th last season , Moyes would not have lasted a season with many of our supporters.

• 152 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Liverpool’s style of play is fine but as Rodgers has said he doesn’t have the players he needs yet (in other words Dalglish was useless and wasted huge amounts of money). Thank God for Dalglish is what I say. We can beat them now with a good 90 minute performance. No more standing around for a half before getting going (or finishing the game standing around) please.

• 153 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Graeme…what they like and how they perform is of course what I meant by culture!

Sounds an interesting place, being completely serious for a minute (enjoy it, it wont last long) and I will at some point have to visit. Africa is one of the few corners I haven’t made it to yet and it must be done.

Do you see yourself seeing your days out there or is it a crust making exercise and then returning back home or to another location?

Sorry everyone else, but your football banter just isn’t cutting it :)

• 154 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Good points Quasi @149 but as you admit Moyes is a world class manager. Pardew has definitely stabilized us and as I said things could be far worse but with our current owner/managing director we just won’t achieve much ie. no trophies and fifth will be our top finish under them. The money is going to really start rolling in next year though so Mikey will be pleased whatever else happens.

• 155 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It’s too early to reasonably judge Pards one way or the other, although that great season last year may prove a rod for his back.

• 156 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Have to agree with you tequila@151 our supporters are fairly impatient. I hope we enjoyed the fifth place finish though because that’s as good as it’s going to get as long as the Ash/Llam is around.

• 157 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

That’ll teach me to not refresh before commenting. The football banter is good and I apologise for my criticism and trying to cover up my desire to veer away from football.

Blaydon….Wasn’t Ginola longer than 10 years ago? If we’re saying 15 years, then despite being a bit hot and cold and not with us too long, Tino is up there for me. Loved the guy when he was performing.

• 158 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

The argument that MA is simply at our club to make as much money before selling up is one that none of us can either prove or disprove, some prefer to take the cynical view while others are cautiously choosing to trust the owner.

But, whether or not he is in it for the good of the club or the good of his pocket, would it not make logical sense that he would want us to be in the biggest money spinning competition there is? The Champions League? We are a few players short of having a squad capable of reaching it, with these players Pards can play the system he really wants to play and MA makes mo money mo money mo money.

Sounds like a win win doesn’t it? Mike makes a bucket load and we as fans are incredibly satisfied. This is what I think is MA’s intentions with the club, others disagree. I just don’t think Mike wants the club to halt its progress as that wouldn’t be beneficial to him as the club wouldn’t get European exposure for his brand and would bring in less money for sliding down the table.

It certainly is a “wait and see” dilemma that we find ourselves in, and until his intentions become clearer I simply want to enjoy this resurgence the club is currently experiencing, because God knows we’ve had enough bleak moments in the last 3/4 years, we deserve to enjoy the better times.

• 159 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Is Pardew a great manager? Not yet, hasn’t done it well enough for long enough…yet.

Has he been a great manager for us so far? I would argue that yes he has. Not many managers get the same chance these days to prove their worth, either hit the ground running and keep running or find yourself a new job. Really hard to gauge.

• 160 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Quasi @158…I agree. I think some feel if his intentions were to break in to the top 4 (CL spots) then why didn’t he spend say £10-15m in the summer when we had achieved 5th. For me, whilst he wants to progress, he will do it in his own time and only investing where he believes it will be successful. Basically, will only take small risks with a view of big rewards. Not overly exciting, I can see that, but compared to the “excitement” of say the past 8 years, this is far better for me.

• 161 shirtonapole tinooo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

top 5 of the last decade
    1 solano
    2 shearer
    3 given
    4 ben arfa
    5 ameobi
    but plenty more i could have entered…..
    btw i love the internet, recently found my first ever game on youtube. my dad paid the steward 10 pund to let him, me and my best mate into a totally overcrowded west stand….. this was just before hillsborough :(

• 162 studsy // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

GeordieTwo – why will Ashley enjoy the cash coming in? Please dont try and say he is pocketing cash – Annual accounts prove otherwise.

Another thing, the 6mil spent on Anita will have come from any pre-season funding…season tickets, merchandise, etc. with January 1st being the first time newcadtle see any money from the PL fund.

Based on last seasons financials, we will make a profit from this lump(half of TV Rights cash) leaving clear funds in the account for strengthening. Most clubs calculate how much they will receive, then loan in from the bank the same amount on an interest-only loan – but even over a year the interest will be in the millions.

I prefer the club using clear funds to buy players when we can afford to, leaving us debt free – than having to sacrifice millions in transfer funds to get him 6months earlier

• 163 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Sounds too good to be true Quasi @158. I hope you’re right though mate :). In my opinion he has said several times (through his mouthpieces) that he is happy as long as we are in the top 10. There is just no way to get to Champs League with his level of spending when compared with other teams in the Prem. No matter how brilliant Carr is Llambias is there making sure we don’t spend Ash’s money. It just can’t be done. Top 6 is only barely possible (ie 5th or 6th) and I don’t see us matching last year. Not going to happen again for many years. Let’s look together at the standings at the end of the year.

• 164 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Chasing Champions League football could easily prove to be a financial gamble Ashley wouldn’t even entertain. Your best guide is his past form, Ash doesn’t splash the cash.

• 165 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Then, Ibiza, I can confirm that the culture is truly magnificent, horizontally, vertically or any other way you look at it.

Home, I guess, will always be UK, especially as my Mum & kids are here. My son is at Newcastle Uni, my Daughter is in Salford, Manchester and despite what a lot of people may think, the UK is a truly magnificent Country. I would have no problem in selling up my company and becoming a paid consultant to the new owners.

Spending the winters in Nigeria, summers in Europe – sounds like a splendid life to me lol

• 166 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Studsy the money will come from the massive new TV contract beginning next season. The 20th place team will get about 60M pounds! It’s been in the news repeatedly over the last few months. We should get more than 70M pounds by finishing in the top 10. Our earnings should rise to over 100M pounds and Ash has tight controls on the purse strings having laid off a lot of staff in 2008-2009 and cutting back salaries to about 60% of earnings. That percentage will continue to drop as earnings take a huge jump. He is a business man first and foremost.

• 167 shirtonapole tinooo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

also to all overseas based fans, if you scrape together the several hundred pound it takes to watch one match a season, please, please, please never make the mistake of buying a ticket in the platinum club just to get a good view of the match….
    worst atmosphere ever!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaand i had 3 cnts sat behind me claiming shola was the worst player ever in the premier league even after he set up the first goal.
    Hwtl

• 168 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Spot on jawballs @164.

• 169 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Graeme….I do love the UK, it is my home and all of that, I think i’d struggle to move back though…more to do with the weather than anything else.

As for Nigeria, as and when i visit, I will do my best to view it from all of those angles :)

• 170 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Good spot Ibiza had to put him in Ginola was magic and scored some great goals – remember one of his first games against the smoggies he danced around 3/4 of their players from our corner flag top notch !

• 171 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Quasi. Given that MA is an extremely successful businessman, no matter what some people may think of him, there can be little doubt that he requires NUFC to be a success – otherwise why on earth would he get involved in the first place – this is not a charity.

He obviously looks at things from a slightly different perspective than the rest of us, which is why he is a Billionaire and the rest of us are not!!

I believe that he has a plan in place – even though we have no clear idea how it works, what it entails, what his final goal is.

We are most definitely a far better Organization today, than we were when he took over, both on the pitch and off it. We have a far more skillful squad today, we have a decent Manager, a great backroom staff and state-of-the-art training facilities.

I have no more idea than anyone else where we are heading, but I am looking forward to seeing where it takes us.

• 172 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

GeordieTwo

In all other walks of life my mantra is, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is, but I just can’t apply that logic to our beloved football club.

I think if he was just content with staying in top 10 then we wouldn’t have spent the money we have in securing some exceptional talent in the likes of Cisse, Anita, Santon etc and as far as I am concerned we are still looking for more world class talent at affordable prices in the positions that we need developing, as well as investing in our youth development to ensure that not only do we have a top notch first team, but also that we have a conveyor belt of young hungry talent waiting to come into the first team.

That to me seems like a system that is founded upon sustainability, and doesn’t bear the hallmarks of a man who is content to see the club standing still around mid table.

Ibiza

I share your views on the “slow and steady” model that MA seems to be employing. We could have done a Spurs, in the sense that we could have invested quite heavily to push on, which is a tactic that the previous owner employed time and time again in order to get back to the holy grail that was CL football, and I am sure we all remember how that worked out for us. Sensible investment, securing the right players at the right prices (even if that means waiting 6 months, or an entire year to secure said player) is what the current regime is based upon.

• 173 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

tinoooo….Thanks for the advice there. That must have been a downer, traveling over and listening to that rubbish.

Right, I am going to investigate Ashleys transfer p&l since he arrived. Be back with you good fine people shortly.

• 174 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’m struggling to get Shay into any top 5. We we’re pretty soft at the back the whole time he was there, wasn’t brilliant on crosses and he hasn’t been great since he left. Super keeper, good guy, and fine servant, but best 5, he’s up against some stiff opposition.

• 175 MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Blaydon @64

bin ….. as in rubbish
    dipper…. theft from

• 176 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ibiza, You’re welcome anytime and I’ll be happy to show you some of the sights! Nigeria is growing its tourism industry so will be happy to show you some of that as well lol.

I moved back to UK after 14 years away, 11 of them in Hong Kong, in 1997. It wasn’t that difficult, although I effectively “retired” at that time.

• 177 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

As opposed to slow and steady I would say the Ash method is actually stay in the top 10, keep ticket prices reasonable, buy the occassional player but not often and not if over 10M pounds, sell the occassional player but not for less than 15M pounds if purple, and most important of all let that TV revenue pour in! It truly is the goose that laid the golden egg.

• 178 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

GeordieTwo

This’ll just be one of these things that neither of us can say “I’m right and you’re wrong”

We’ll just have to wait and see fella.

• 179 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

As you say Quasi let’s wait and see mate :). I don’t let it bother me too much and I will be very happy if I’m proven wrong. Unless we sack Llambias I can’t believe any Champions League scenario. The price to reach it is far too high for Ash/Llam.

• 180 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Just for interest , we are about £29 mill in profit with transfers since Ash took over but most of that is accounted for from when we were relegated and needed to save money.

• 181 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

GeordieTwo

The only turd in this particular punchbowl is Llambias, I agree that I think he is a snake but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he will hinder any plans for CL football. I think if MA’s aim is to reach the CL then he will achieve it. He strikers me as a man who gets what he wants.

• 182 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Thought i’d chip in with the top 5 thing!
    Shearer
    Ginola
    Robert
    Rob lee
    Coloccini

• 183 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

okay…Ashley bought Newcastle 23rd May 2007 (took full control 100% in July 2007), so I think it’s fair to say anything from the 07-08 start (inc summer) should be counted as Ashleys.

07-08 Season

P or L for NUFC = -£8,910,000.00

12-13 Season

Outgoing Players = £5,544,000.00
    Incoming Players = £9,033,200.00

P or L for NUFC = £3,489,200.00

Things to remember.

We haven’t yet completed the 6th full year cycle, January could change a few things here.

Our two biggest “profit” years were when we were relegated, which tbh was needed to avoid further problems (i.e. Going bankrupt in the Championship – turned out good in the end, I think we even won it) and the other being when we sold AC, which quite frankly was an amazing deal. So…figures…

Over 5.5 years under the fat man.

Outgoing Players = £144,047,200.00
    Incoming Players = £113,449,600.00

So, NUFC have “made” £30,597,600.00 on transfers since Ashley arrived (unless my source or calculations are wrong).

Please don’t forget this does not include agents fees :)

So, where is this Carroll money – oh how I’ve missed that one.

So I suppose the next question is, for me at least, has the quality improved in that time, both in starters and depth?

At the end of the day, I’m happy if the club are making money, as long as we are improving. If they can sell a player for £35m and bring in two arguably better for a combined £9m then that is fantastic.

Should we however have seen more of this “surplus” invested in other areas? Has it been used elsewhere to stabilise the club? The pattern for the past 2 seasons (since the AC injection of cash) is that the club spend more than they have sold for, shouldn’t that therefore be our basis as to what the owners intentions are? Spend and improve, albeit not for huge, huge sums of money (hard to say when you’re talking millions of pounds).

Thoughts?

• 184 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Last accounts showed we lost about 3£ mill excluding transfers(season Carrol sold) but revenues have increased since then. I think Ash is looking for the club to be self sufficient. I would expect any future operating profits to be spent on new players. But then again I am an optomist

• 185 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Tequila…You and I need to have some words. Tw@! :)

• 186 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You don’t leave a snake in the nest unless you want it there Quasi. Ash has had ample opportunity to get rid of him and hasn’t. That tells me a lot about Ashley. He should have been sacked after the drunken rant. He has no football experience prior to Newcastle. No other football club would have him at any level. Yet he is still there poisoning the atmosphere around him. I’ve heard claims that he is quite a nice chap but nice guys usually finish last as they say. This one just doesn’t make sense if Ashley truly wants success for the club.

• 187 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Ibiza looks we are pretty much agreed then.

• 188 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Ibiza yeah we are agreed you are a Tw@t as well hehe

• 189 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Graeme…Cheers mate, how did we get on to this again? Ah yes, visiting Denmark for it’s Christmas release of beers :)

Back on Ashley, no one can doubt his intelligence and business ways.

In Pardew he has a competent manager that will work with what he has and believe or not, seems an ambitious guy. He will also push for spending on new players to take the club forward.

In Llambias he has a ghastly money saving pr*ck to keep things in check.

Think of them as his good and evil thoughts, each make their case and then Ashley makes a final decision. It can’t always be financial and it can’t always be football that dictates his decision. He needs a balance and he certainly has that with these two.

• 190 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Tequila…We are agreed on two counts then. Still, pretty p*ss*d you beat me to it with a paragraph. Why do I bother? Back up my blooming fence

*mumble, grumble, shuffle, huff, puff*

• 191 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

GeordieTwo

He may be a snake but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have good business experience (I am not sure whether he does or not)

At the end of the day I don’t want an owner or MD who are big football fans, I want an owner and MD who are good business men. (Ideally I’d like a Bill Kenright with more money but that kind of owner doesn’t seem forthcoming)

So just because I don’t like the way Del comes across to us doesn’t mean he is incapable of doing a good job. I’d rather we had someone else in his position but we can’t always get what we want. If we achieve what I think we are capable of then I am willing to overlook past transgressions.

• 192 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Yeah Ibiza but you saved everybody the bother of clicking a link. Hard work brings it`s own rewards, I give you the moral victory.

• 193 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Can anyone give me some advice on away games? I haven’t been to any away games before, so have no loyalty points etc. this season I’m going to try to get to one or two, can anyone recommend a few?
    Need to be fairly cheap, and need no loyalty points.

• 194 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Tequila…Thanks mate, I was just running a warm bath and the gillette razor was at the ready….

…Only joking people, perhaps in bad taste.

Quasi….Not touching on Del’s character or business skills (much like yourself), but that is exactly how I think Ashley looks at it. Running the club is a business issue. Running the team is a footballing issue. I think he feels he has the right people fighting against each other to bring a good balance and hopefully cover all of the aspects. Hopefully they will get the balance right at the end of the day and mishaps will be kept to a minimum.

• 195 GeordieTwo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Good work Ibiza @183. The past spending pattern is not as important as the next five years as the TV money will more than compensate Ashley. His revenue should increase to somewhere around 110M pounds a year on average over the seasons 2013-2018. With an income of 550M pounds over 5 years and wages at 55% or less and a much smaller total staff than when he took over the only real issue will be player sales versus buys. As the club will continue to be quite young (which generally means lower wages) the occassional sale of emerging stars will dominate. I would think player buys will be limited to make sure the profit remains at least 20-25M pounds per year. Only time will tell of course but this should keep us in the top 10 with about 100M pounds to Ashley (ie. 100M pounds off what we owe him and a gradual increase in the value of the club). Not bad but no silverware and no top 5 finishes again. The other top clubs will remain debtors (or toys of their owners) but will outspend us 2 or 3 to 1 to stay in Champs League.

• 196 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I’ve just read an article on how Tino would love to manage Newcastle someday! Loved the guy but wouldn’t want him anywhere near the management position.

Ibiza

Once more, agree with your views on the way the club is structured at the minute. Would prefer a less detestable figure than Del to be the representative of the business side of the club but like I said we can’t have everything.

MA may be more inclined to err on the side of good business but I do think he wants the club to succeed on the football pitch in order to better his business interests.

• 197 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

G2…..Firstly, thank you. Secondly, that is certainly one scenario that has crossed my mind. I personally like to think that it’s a case of not just top 10, but whilst not spending like the normal top 6, spending wisely and making us a top 6 team. With the exception of players like Hazard, Oscar, Van Persie etc, have any of the top teams really got better players of value in the recent windows? Sure they will be some, but overall, I think we’ve done outrageously well and long may it continue. I genuinely believe we are comfortably a top 8 team now, with luck and good management (at both business and the football end of things) there is no good reason why we couldn’t break in to the CL some time soon or dare I say, a decent enough run in a cup to start thinking about silverware.

For me, PL is not even worth thinking about, not for a good while anyway, cup upsets, yes, a season long upset with the money spent by some if just way too much, even for one of the most optimistic people, which I consider myself.

I would like to say, I really like your approach. You’re not completely on board with things and want more than we’re getting, but can still see what I consider to be reality and have thought about your opinions.

Congratulations guys. Decent discussion, differing views and no major fights.

Now just wait….I most certainly have jinxed this mofo.

• 198 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

GeordieTwo

Think we have digressed massively from the “I don’t think either of us can say I’m right and you’re wrong” as you seem to categorically state what will happen.

Without sounding confrontational, what is the basis for your claims? And where is the evidence? You sound so sure of MA’s intentions and you have absolutely no basis for what you’re saying.

• 199 Krul to be Kind // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

for the record… my fav 5

1. Albert
    2. Shearer
    3. Batty
    4. Ferdinand
    5. Given

Cant believe no one else has Philipe Albert on their lists, man was a mountain.

I remember David Batty chipping Neil Sullivan a belter from about 35/40 yards a game or 2 after Beckham lobbed him from the halfway line, as DM’s go Tiote wouldn’t lace his boots!

Gary Speed just misses the cut unfortunately!

tut tut

am i giving my age away?

• 200 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Quasi…It only makes sense for Ashley to want the team to do well. There are no doubt cheaper clubs to own than Newcastle to advertise his other company, mind you, they don’t have the same support as Newcastle and then he wouldn’t be able to fleece as many people to line his pockets – wait, what just happened?

Tino managing Newcastle? Can’t help but smile, but no, just no Tino :)

• 201 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Goerdie Two it`s all speculation mate. He could just as easily invest the increased revenue in players whilst keeping the club in the black. The more successful the club the greater the price he will get when he does sell up. And remember people should be careful what they wish for. The Glazers borrowed the money to buy Man U and put all the debt on the club which is costing them something like 60 mill a year in payments to service the debt. Failure to qualify for CL would put Man u in a whole heap of trouble. As that the kind of owners people would wish for for Newcastle?

• 202 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Krul…We were talking the last decade. If we make it 15 years, then my list would indeed change.

• 203 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Ibiza

I just buy the theory that MA is only in the club to line his own pockets, I have seen enough in his management of the club in the last 2/3 seasons to suggest that there is longevity involved in his regime, and a desire to improve the stature of the club.

I could be wrong, and I could be giving him too much credit, but even if he does want to improve the standing of the club just to sell it on, that would also involve progress.

But if he has intentions of selling on some time soon, why would be offering staff 8 year contracts? Surely that would put off any potential buyer who didn’t necessarily want Pards as manager, the compensation he would have to pay Pards to replace him would be astronomical.

Like I said, I just don’t buy it.

• 204 Krul to be Kind // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

sorry ibiza :-(, was reading my way through the blog and seen the fav 5, didn’t see last 10 years… i did pee a bit with excitement and scrolled to the bottom to give my tuppeny’s worth!

• 205 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

*”I just don’t buy it” that first line is meant to read

• 206 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Asprilla to coach in the academy? Hell yes!!

• 207 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Krul…No problems mate, go and clean up and then come back. No hard feelings :)

Quasi…I’m with you on this one. Whilst I can entertain some theories about Ashley and his intentions (always keeping in mind that he is a business man and wants to be profitable) I still don’t buy in to a lot of these “only lining his pockets” ideals. I just don’t. Worst case scenario (that I can go along with) is that yes he wants to sell, but as you say, he would have to progress the club to do so – the evil b*st*rd :)

One thing from my time on this blog is the idea of fans owning the club. Can you imagine the chaos? It’d be civil war in Newcastle. Best to have an outsider, someone to turn on when the masses aren’t happy.

• 208 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I wonder if Kets is really an eccentric billionaire. He could be an owner/ manager.

• 209 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

To be fair no one really knows what Ashley is doing with our club so to say he is just looking to make a quick buck is not entirely accurate nor is he the definite saviour we need!

But i have to say its the 1st time i can remember since supporting the Toon that there is a proper structure to the club like who was the main scouts in the last decade before Graham Carr and how many youngsters actually came through the ranks in that time??

We know the model by now: get players on the cheap improve them sell them for a profit have ready made youngsters to step in when they are ready sell at a profit okay we might not challenge but when was the last time we actually challenged for anything?Think it might have been an FA cup final or Robson getting us 3rd??

So its not like we are regular challengers anyway but it looks like there is now a system in place where we have good replacements lined up when we have a decent team for example if we did get Tiote sold or someone else for a massive profit i think we would invest it back into the team and i have not seen evidence that this would not happen

People go on about the Caroll money but that got spent on Cisse, Ba, Cabaye, Santon and improved deals for Colo, Taylor and Jonas!

At the end of the day if a Billionaire Oil Barron war criminal wanted to take over us they would have by now so stop bitching about Ashley and just go along for the ride which is certainly preferable to watching Sunderland!!

• 210 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ibiza

I can understand why some fans are cynical, but surely the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, and finishing 5th, getting us back into Europe and signing some excellent players whilst developing the youth squads so that they are better than we’ve ever had should at least give fans an indication that MA does want what’s best for Newcastle (either for football or business means) and on top of that he has given key members of staff long term contracts should allay certain fears that he is looking to sell up for a quick buck.

• 211 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quasi @203 – and why can’t Pardew’s contract have a clause in it that says “In the event the club is sold/taken over or otherwise changes hands, all existing Employment Contracts are automatically terminated.”

As long as the staff know its there, and then sign the Contract, the new owner can keep who he wants and the rest are history!! Its not difficult to do.

• 212 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quasi and Santon…I agree 100%, well said.

There have been, pardon my wording, some serious f ups since he came in, added to that he’s a southerner (yuck – obviously joking as I am one of the southern Geordies) and I’m not sure if that’s why some don’t view the current situation as I do. I see improvement, some see it as a scam waiting to bite us in the backside.

However, as I said, I’m with you.

Tequila…Well, I can safely say he’s at least 50% of that. For the record, that isn’t an insult. Eccentricity is a trait I admire and encourage.

• 213 shirtonapole tinooo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

hey ibiza,
    yeah it was a bit cr4p, the only good thing about the platinum club is the view and the fact you get real glass and carpet in the bar…. :) (sorry about the smilies)

also just watched the the first 500 premier league goals and have to say i´d forgotten how good our wingers/fullbacks were at crossing in the late nineties early noughties.
    love our current team, but no comparison

ps sorry if my interaction skills make kets look like stephen fry ;)

• 214 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ibiza- @194 Joining the party late I think you sum it up rather well.
    NUFC is a business of which the activity/product is football. I have not warmed to DL but any criticism of his negotiation skills is questionable. We’re not flys on the wall . We really don’t know the parameters he has to operate within. MA is autocratic and I suspect DL has little license to operate. Whereas all indications are that Pardew has no interference on the football side of operations.
    The business is extremely well run.

• 215 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Graeme

It is possible, but it is also possible that the contract doesn’t have any such clauses and the 8 year contracts are an example of the owner’s commitment to the club.

• 216 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Ian….Why thank you. Good summary and of course, I completely agree.

Tinoooo….You are interacting, that automatically propels you above Kets in that department :)

Also, thanks for your apologies on the smileys, you clearly know how much they infuriate me ;) (and now I’m going overboard with them yet again!!!)

Funny, I don’t often think about carpet when thinking about football, but duly noted.

We have had some great crossers in the past, actually that is quite limiting, we’ve had some great players over the years. I suppose we have come through a bit of a stale period in our history, so it’s just great to see the caliber of players we currently have back at the toon. This probably clouds judgement when comparing them with teams of the past.

Out of interest, where are you based?

• 217 Super Magpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

This is my team on Sunday if Ba isn’t fit

Krul
    Simpson Saylor/Willo Colo Santon
    Cabaye Jonas Anita
    HBA Cisse Fergie

I’ve been impressed with Ferguson this season. Is it 3 or 4 assists he has had? I’m glad we started in a 4-3-3 last week and it worked in the first half. I thought Pardew played the wrong players though. ( I know, I can never be happy with the team selection :) )

If reina isn’t fit either we need to take as many shots as we can because Jones has been shaky in goal when I’ve seen him play and is prone to making mistakes. We need to make sure we get to all the rebounds because of this. This is the best chance we have of winning at Anfield in a long time and I feel we can do it.

• 218 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Graeme no expert on employment law but would think that would be pretty shaky ground to single out only the coaching staff for such a clause. If it applied to everybody then all the players could leave as well.

• 219 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Quasi, correct. BUT, you are talking about a serious player here – a man who doesn’t pay his staff more than the going rate, but builds in bonuses that rewards them astronomically if the beat their targets. The more they make for him, the more he pays them.

As you said, why would he give the NUFC staff 8 year contracts? To give them a security blanket, make them feel secure. Likewise, he would want to protect his ability to sell, without hindrance – hence I believe there will be a clause in the terms of employment; I would be mad not too.

• 220 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Tequila – since when did football and employment laws mix?

A manager gets a 3,4,6 year contract, doesn’t get results, is sacked and has his contract paid up in full!! In real life, any employer would give 2 weeks, 1 months, 3 months notice and “Goodbye” depending on the terms included in the Contract!!

• 221 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Or, if he wants the employee out the door, he pays his wages for the stated term and the employee is gone the same day!!

• 222 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM

First off, basing perspective on facts, there is no pattern yet to how MA or NUFC for that matter, goes about it’s business.

And i say that cause during MAs tenure, there’s been ups and downs in every department in the club.
    And they’ve been severe!

We can assume allot of things tho.

– MA buys young and cheap, sells expensive. (Yet to be proven)
    – MA puts emphasis on youth and grooming them within the club to save expenditure later on.
    – Sees that stability is a thing to lean on to continusly challenge for honors.
    – Puts in long term plans in general, which fanbase hates cause we all want instant success.
    – Obviously willing to right his wrongs. There’s not much that’s been wrong in the past that we can hang him on now.
    – Want’s the club to be self sufficient. That’s a gain for both us and him imo, depending on the ammount of income tho.

The list goes on. A few assumptions there and a few facts as we’ve seen.
    But not yet set in stone for me, altho the future looks black and white :)

• 223 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Graeme, football is not exempt from employment law as evidenced by KK taking Ashley to an employment tribunal and winning. Nobody apart from Pardew and Ashley and Lambiarse knows what clauses are in place so it is all speculation.

• 224 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Remie Streete ?@Remiestreete80
    Pleased to b on standby for england u19s later this month, still injuredso won’t be able to playifneeded. Another incentive2 get fit tho

Kids 18 today, can’t wait to see him back in action!

• 225 89Norcal // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

@Dannyo, unfortunately, MA’s in the wrong business. Always confused me why such an introverted and spending OCD man would take up the glamour job of owning a football club.

Unless he just wants the title as “most financially stable club in England” sports teams seem to be far and wide, a high-risk, low payoff venture.

• 226 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Q@203
    Graeme @ 211 – Longevity or stability? I can see tha attraction for Pardew of a poison pill contract. Many of these contracts were put in place beyond finance director level at the time when MA acquired the club. But why would Pardew sign a long term contract which provides security if all bets are off in the event of a sale of Nufc. Doubtless the contract has hurdles to clear (by football club/Pardew) but the long term contracts
    now in place to manager and coaching staff are only attractive to any prospective buyer if the team is doing well ie it would make sense to retain the football management team. Otherwise it’s not attractive and a poison pill to preclude a sale.

• 227 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM

89 Norcal- Financial stability and success on the field can go together.

• 228 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Dannyo- I like the look of Cameron who played last night in second half for England under16’s.

• 229 89Norcal // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

@Ian Toon, I agree but it’s unlikely we will reach the dizzying heights of English/European football that we once did if we are so tight as to not net our targets over 500k-1m.

Not saying we should throw money at the problem, but consider the ROI from patching up holes in our squad and the difference in reward money for placing higher/gaining more recognition/sponsor deals/merchandise sales/EL or CL.

• 230 Super Magpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Conaldo @193

Well Liverpool was reduced to 0 Loyalty points, I was going to go actually but had to cancel due to other plans. I know it’s too late now obviously.

I’d imagine Wigan might be quite a low amount, West Brom too.
    I don’t really the know the rest tbh, do you not know anyone who has enough loyalty points and can buy you a ticket?

• 231 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Right people, it’s been a pleasure. If I don’t catch you before Sunday, enjoy the game, i’m hoping I will :)

Take it easy.

• 232 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM

@Ian Toon
    Did u watch the game?
    We have a few for various England youth teams now.
    Sammy, Remie, Cameron, Armstrong, Gilliead.

Bodes well for the future.

• 233 Ian Toon // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I watched the second half when I heard that Cameron had come on. We seem to have an abundance of good young CB’s. Yes good crop of young prospects.

• 234 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

@89Norcal
    Obviously, there’s a massive ammount for him to achieve based on pure selfish reasons.

He’s the man who turned NUFC around financially and now maybe on the pitch too.
    Massive ammount of commercial value for his company. Now in Europe aswell.
    General reputation as an astute business man, will open many doors for him on various deals.

The side effect of his success tho, which he’ll want cause it comes back around to him, is the success for our club.
    And that i will more than happily accept.

• 235 shirtonapole tinooo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

ibiza, don´t know why i´m answering as you´ve just said you´re logging out but anyhow southern germany.

carpet is very importent as it means you get a nice warm, cosy feeling at half time which in turn helps you cheer the team on???? not really ;)

on a different note i did a summer in san an in 2009, cultural capital of europe!!

have a good one everybody, going out on the lash

• 236 shirtonapole tinooo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM

*important

• 237 89Norcal // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

@Dannyo, Yes he did do incredibly well with the club’s finances, now he’s got a base to make the club soar.

MA has the chance to make NUFC a top club again. Players are solid, management is solid, just need that extra bit of contribution.

I just wonder how much his business rep helps him in THIS particularly flashy industry

• 238 Super Magpie // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Tino wants to manage us one day, Would be good to see him coaching the academy in the near future. Don’t know about being a manager though. :D

• 239 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

@Super Magpie
    If his managerial tekkers is anything like he was on the pitch, we’d play some amazing footy, but highly inconsistant, lol.
    9-3 win against WBA one week, 0-6 loss against Swans the next :P

• 240 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Tequila, KK went to the tribunal because MA tried to pay him off with what was in the Contract in the event KK walked away. KK claimed unfair/ constructive dismissal and won his case.

The Contract terms were never questioned.

• 241 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

@89Norcal
    Well, in the UK he’s by now widely known.
    If the success continues in Europe and we go far in those competition, he’ll be even more known and will have a better chance to get his name out in Euro industries.

I think he saw NUFC as a sleeping giant, i really do, an underperforming club with one of the biggest fanbases in the country.
    It is also, an astute business decision from his side.

• 242 AS MAGS // Nov 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Dannyo your right about him being the man who turned us around,exposure in Europe for his business as well. Beauty about it is MA would want exposure season after season in Europe. So it’s got to be in his mind too build and not stand still

• 243 89Norcal // Nov 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

@Dannyo, I just hope the club’s improvement isn’t sabotaged by efforts to turn maximum profit. I’m not an MA hater so I’m pulling for him to come good again.

• 244 Dannyo // Nov 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM

@89Norcal
    He should know what happens when you turn this fanbase in the pure wrath.
    But only time will tell mate, as i said, i still would not say there’s a pattern in his ownership of the club.
    Couple more years, then we can talk i’m guessing.

• 245 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Graeme rather missing the point I was making which was football is s not exempt from employment law. Constructive dismissal is also part of employment law.

• 246 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Tequila, I dont think I actually said it was, just that most Employment Contracts in football bear no resemblance to Employment Law as far as the common man would know it.

Nowhere else would you find terms and conditions as those enjoyed by a Manager for example – as for actual players, well, they employ the best tax avoidance specialists on the market.

• 247 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

In my wildest dreams I don’t see Newcastle making the Champions league consistently. Even Liverpool have fallen away in recent years. You really do need to be a big, big club to consistently feature if you are English as things stand. I think Newcastle may qualify from time as has been the case in the past and will quite frequently compete in the Europa league under Ash. I think that’s where the highest return on investment lies for a club of the size and current ambition of Newcastle. That’s ok, if that’s the case, not as ambitious as I’d like of course, but understandable for sure and Fair Play rules may help to change the landscape. Anyway, good times.

• 248 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Graeme it`s true contracts are broken all the time and the lawyers usually thrash out compo before it gets to court. It`s not usually in a managers interests to go to the law if he wants to work in the game again. That is not to say that football has any specil dispensation in law because it does not.
    This conversation started when I was replying to your question to me.
    Tequila – since when did football and employment laws mix?.
    The point I am making is in law, they have always mixed

• 249 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Tequila, I accept the point you make, maybe I could have made mine a bit clearer. Cheers mate

• 250 tequilamag // Nov 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Cheers Graeme I do also accept your point that, in practice football works in a way which is very different from the experience of the ordinary man in the street. Usually because the ordinary man in the street does not have the money which is sloshing about in the game.

• 251 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well, Tequila, looks like we killed that stone dead lol

• 252 MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Dannyo

MA grooming young men for sale ?

Now then, now then…

• 253 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Jeez…left for a few hours only to return to find that the blog is completely and utterly dead.

• 254 Graeme // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Quasi – its been like that for hours and I now deliver it safely into your keeping.

Look after it, night night lol

• 255 Quasi.modo // Nov 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Graeme

I don’t want it! I’ll chat to you folks tomorrow! Night all

• 256 toon_army_redlichtie85 // Nov 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM

With Ed’s past health problems I hope he’s ok!? Does anyone know why he’s not posted in ages ??

• 257 jesperfuglsang // Nov 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Morning lads! :-)

…who killed this blog?

God I have a headache – too many Christmas beers last night (most of them were above 6,5 vol. alcohol)

• 258 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Did any one read the article with Neil warnock saying the only reason that chelsea reported clattenburg was because they lost the game?
    Thought it seemed a bit of a funny comment until you say how many managers have come out and backed clattenburg think this saga could drag be very messy and someone is going to look very very stupid at the end of it

previous post: It’s So Important For Newcastle To Keep Top Players