The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Backtracks On Not Appealing Red Card – Video

9:07 am, Monday, November 5th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Alan Pardew said immediately after the game that Newcastle would not appeal the red card received by captain Fabricio Coloccini in the 84th minute, but today he seems to be backtracking on that statement just  a little.

The foul tackle made by Colo on Luis Suarez

Referee Anthony Taylor told the Newcastle manager it was the intent of the challenge that got Colo his red card, and although Colo hardly touched the Uruguayan, we don’t think an appeal will have much chance of success,  and there’s always the chance the FA will make it four games suspension if they think the appeal is frivolous.

This is what Alan said today about the red card:

“I didn’t see it at the time, so I was really unsure. I knew it was my captain, and I know he’s got no intent in him.” “I went to see the referee at the end because I wanted to ask him what it was for, I really didn’t know. He said it was dangerous intent, but I wanted the clarification before the referee came off the pitch.”

“Looking at it on the video, it doesn’t look too good, but from another angle he’s putting his foot down to stop himself.” “Knowing Colo as I do, and I spoke to him, I don’t think there’s any malicious intent there, although we might have to accept it.”

“I’ll discuss an appeal further with the secretary and everyone else at the football club.” “I told the referee that, having seen the incident, I can see why he sent him off, I have no problem with that. But it’s a blow for us to lose our captain.”

“Part of me knows there was no intent with Colo, but looking at the video, I don’t really think we’ve got anywhere to go. So my gut feeling is we won’t appeal, but I want to discuss it some more.” “I know Coloccini is a real top guy. I didn’t want to make a big issue about the referee because I think the morale of referees must be very low.”

“I had no problem with his performance, it was a tough game to manage. But because it was my captain, I wanted to know why he sent him off.”

Alan Pardew handled himself very well at the end of the game as he walked over to the referee with John Carver in pursuit, and once he heard the reason given for the sending off, he thought for a couple of seconds and then walked away.

We don’t think Newcastle will appeal the red card, after they discuss it further today.

And in retrospect, after watching the game a couple of times yesterday, Newcastle did well against a Liverpool side who really turned up yesterday, with Suarez outstanding for the Reds.

Here’s the red card incident – you decide if it was a red card offense.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Discipline · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Premier League · Suspensions

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 outsidethebox // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM

sometimes wish p would go on offensive ie say that there were similar tackles to collo,s that went unpunished …or tiotes in last game ..dont know if this would be counterproductive but at min seem to take poor decisions without reply..

• 2 estechco // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Daily Mail’s picture (that Ed has used above), is leading the witness just a little? Looks as though Colo took Suarez out at the knee, where as second clip actually shows he barely even touches his boot.

Looks a clumsy and late challenge which I can forgive ref for getting wrong, but surely these are the ones that should get looked at after the event?

No way it deserves a 3 match ban, but I know the FA are a joke and completely biased against us, so can see why Pardew wouldn’t bother wasting his time.

• 3 blew // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

You dont show the studs end of story, however, the ref was pro Liverpool, for example why was Sterling not even booked for his two footed lunge. Stevie G soft talked him!

• 4 BigKirky // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

On the subject of bemusing decisions, did anyone watch the Man Utd vs Arsenal match? Where Wilshire was sent off for two bookable offences yet Cleverley somehow escaped a second yellow even though it certainly seemed like one. I think the refs need more help with a couple more watching replays within the ground and communicating through earpiece.

• 5 HullMag6 // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Shouldve been yellow, but the Oscar winning bin dipping actor strikes again. If he was hurt as bad as he made out he shouldve been at least limping. Suarez is a parasite.

Sky sports are biased too, so no good looking for comfort there.

• 6 veto // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

nothing wrong with the tackle , he stopped himself from taking him completely out if anything

• 7 Graeme // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Some you win, some you lose!!

It looked a very clumsy tackle and from certain angles it shows Suarez is lucky not to have a serious injury, from other angles Colo appears to barely touch him, a further angle seems to show Collo lunging at Suarez, studs up.

I think it will be very difficult to get that card cancelled and so Collo is out for three games!!

• 8 HullMag6 // Nov 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Maybe need to follow the super league example. Refs wear microphones that the crowd can hear and a video ref for those difficult decisions. A new job for messers Poll, elleray, winter etc etc.

• 9 Sav // Nov 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

We should accept the 3 match ban but insist that Collo goes back down to Merseyside to finish the job.

• 10 Shearer260 // Nov 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Looking at it from the last angle, which actually shows what happened, it’s a free kick at best. At first it looks like he totally takes him out, but there’s a player in front of him. Hardly touched Suarez and, surprise surprise, down he goes like his leg’s broken. It’s a shame roy keane’s not still playing, if Suarez tried any of that against him I could predict a career-ending tackle.

• 11 mickg108 // Nov 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Watched it loads of times & for me,,it’s with Intent,the fact he missed ( Like with Suarez’s Goal) Wrong side & Too Ferking late,,justifies it.

previous post: Local Lad Leading Our Man Of The Match Poll