Former Captain Did A Great Job For Newcastle

Kevin Nolan arrives back at St. James’ Park with his West Ham team on Sunday afternoon, and we just have to hope he has an off-day on his return to Newcastle. 😀

Kevin Nolan at West Ham – we think he just scored

Players leave Newcastle for different reasons, and Kevin left surprisingly, when the club were not willing to offer the then 29 year-old a five-year deal, and West Ham stepped in and Sam Allardyce offered him the security of the five-year deal he had wanted. and he joined the Championship club.

And just like he did at Newcastle, he helped West Ham to get promoted at their first attempt, but it took a playoff win to accomplish that, and Blackpool were the better side in that game at Wembley, but didn’t take their chances – and West Ham did, and they are now doing well in the Premier League.

This is what Kevin had to say today:

“You can just get lost in London. Nobody bothers you. It is so easy in restaurants, nobody comes over and you can really relax and enjoy it.” “It is quite mad coming from Newcastle, where it is pure hectic – fishbowl-type.”

“You’ve got everything else around it like the 02 and the theatre.” “We’ve got it all down here, it is fantastic.” “I didn’t think I would come south.” “I always wanted to come home after a couple of days in London because it was too hectic.”

“But I have loved every minute of it.” “What I saw was that I had a club (West Ham) that wanted me.” “The owners wanted me – they did their best to get me in.” “To pay the money that they did when they had dropped down to the Championship showed what it meant for them to have me at their club.”

“A lot of things got said about my time at Newcastle.” “But I loved my time there and respect everybody up there. It was time for me to move on.” “I don’t think my place was ever under threat at Newcastle.” “If I stayed there I knew I would be in the team.”

Some would argue with that last statement, because before Kevin left Newcastle had just signed Yohan Cabaye from Lille, and the Frenchman has become one of France’s best players and one of the best central midfielders in the Premier League.

And while a lot of us though Newcastle were suicidal in unloading Nolan, Enrique and Barton in one crazy summer, we have done very well without them, and had a wonderful season and qualified for the Europa League and are now top of Group D.

But Kevin is a good player and he could have always played as a second striker up front, if he had stayed, and he got a lot of goals when he played there behind a certain Andrew Carroll, who is now of course at the Hammers with Kevin – on loan for the season from Liverpool, where his career is over, at least as long as Brendan Rodgers is the manager.

We mustn’t forget what Kevin did in the short two and a half years he was on Tyneside, and after being relegated in 2009, Kevin was one of the players who stuck in there, and brought us back up in the first year, and we always thought he was an excellent captain for Newcastle – along the lines of former captain Jimmy Scoular, who captained the 1955 FA Cup winning side.

Side note: We took Manchester City and Don Revie apart 3-1 in that game – with goals from Jackie Milburn, Bobby Mitchell and George Hannah – and City scored a lucky goal from Bobby Johnstone.

We don’t think Kevin Nolan will be booed when he returns to St. James’ Park on Sunday, and since leaving the club he had only has good things to say about the Magpies.

And we cannot forget that hat-trick he scored against Sunderland in the 5-1 annihilation of  our local rivals Sunderland, in our first season back up.

We think Kevin did a great job for us in the short 30 months he was on Tyneside, and for the record Kevin played 91 times for Newcastle and scored 30 goals – and that’s a great record in a short two and a half years, during which time we were relegated and came straight back up.

Kevin Nolan deserves enormous credit for what he did for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• 89Norcal

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I always like Nolan, he’s really my type of player; tough and a lot of heart. I know they are liking him at West Ham now too. He’s even got some acknowledgement for his contribution there in the punditsphere

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

What do I think?

Firstly…Andre Carroll – nice.

Nolan was really good for us and I don’t hold any bad feeling towards him. I personally wouldn’t have given him the 5 year contract either. With out plans, within a year or two he would not be featuring really and let’s face it, he was getting slower and slower.

That being said, he is still scoring goals and I would love one of our midfielders to be chipping in the same way. Not sure how well he would fit in with our current set-up though.

He’s moved on, we’ve moved on and he should get a good reception on Sunday. Be hard to tell though as I’m not so sure Andre and Samantha will be welcomed quite the same way.

• 89Norcal

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

By the way, on the previous post about Ben Arfa; once again he was the x-factor in our side that made the difference.

I just watched the replay and noticed the bench was yelling at Ben Arfa to run straight at the Liverpool defense, and thats just what he did. Question is why aren’t we aggressive like that MORE of the time? We have the quality to do it and almost every time it works well.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I sort of miss having him and mr barton on the pitch they used to get everyone up for it we dont have anyone who does that now.

• 9

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I thought Nolan should have played for England when, 2 or 3 years before we got him, he was banging in premiership goals from midfield. Never quick, his advancing age doesn’t make the difference it would do with younger players who rely on speed as one of their weapons. I’m astonished at your figures, Ed – 30 goals from 91 games? That’s out of this world for any midfielder, anywhere in the world. We certainly won’t be getting one goal every three games from our current midfield stars! I though that Nolan, Barton and Carroll worked superbly together in the first few months we regained Premeir status, and were a better 3-some than any other in the country so should have been picked for England – wishful thinking, I know. Only Kevin, of the three, is still doing it! Good for him!

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Top player still miss his fight in some games def miss his goals!
    Was a shame to see him go think he’ll get a good reception unlike a certain west ham player!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

eaststand…..For me, that’s why it’s so important Steven Taylor is up to speed. He brings a passion to the team which can be lacking at times. Saw him giving people their orders the other day and we need leaders on the pitch and not just the captain, who leads by example, but isn’t really that vocal on the pitch from what I’ve seen.

• Toon1978

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I think Nolan would struggle to get into our side at this current time. We have an abundance of talent in midfield not to mention the kids coming through.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Ibiza

I got a good deal on it so its not all bad just hope its big enough to get the pitch forks in. Kets will be in is element in jan.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Sorry Kev, but you wouldn’t have kept your place! That’s why you left!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Ibiza

Aye i saw him but we need someone in midfield kicking everyones backside sorting everyone out to attack and we are missing that the dont seem to communicate in the middle might just be me?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

eaststand…Glad to hear it. Let me know if you require an extension as the window progresses.

On the commanding midfielder, I get what you’re saying. Maybe it’s an English thing? Always good for a fight the brits 🙂

• 9

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

1978: Your’s dead right, he would struggle to get into the team. Still………………30 goals in 91 games……..maybe we could slip him in somewhere (Jonas, cough, cough)?

• 89Norcal

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I agree with you eastand, at times our midfield players are miles away from each other or misplacing passes lately. Maybe they are showing pards they hate 442 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

9…Nolan on the LW…think what you’ll hear is “wheeze wheeze”.

Great poaching attacking midfielder and great spirit, but he is somewhat limited in what else he offers the team to say he could take Guti’s place.

But yes, 30 goals in 91 games is some record (thanks Nolan).

• Toon-Barmy

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

From NUFC.COM:
    Reported to be training with Newcastle’s youth academy for the next fortnight is midfielder Adam Swandi – a product of the National Football Academy in his native Singapore.

The teenager captained Singapore’s U15 side against Newcastle during the 2011 Lion City Cup and has had several overseas training visits arranged for him.

As well as United, Swandi is due to train with two as-yet unnamed European clubs and will also spend some time at Ajax. Like the Tyneside trip, the Amsterdam stint comes as a result of winning a most valuable player award in his home country.

Swandi is the second Singaporean youngster to spend time with United’s academy in as many years, with fellow midfielder Ammirul Emmran visiting in 2011 – again as part of his reward for winning a player of the year accolade.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Ibiza i think it could be an english thing, i remember when jose gave the ball away one home game i thought nolan was gona smash his face in lol he went mad with him and we need that now passion in the middle can deffo win you games, we look mute.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

eaststand…So, what you’re basically saying is drop Cabaye for….Gosling? 🙂

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Norcal

It seems funny you cant hear them shouting like the lads used to, if you look at how much we give the ball away at the moment if someone went off it every time it wouldnt take long to cut it down how much its given away.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Ibiza

Cant mate hes injured god damn you english bast@rd 🙂

• 9

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I think Jonas has done fantastic work for the NUFC. Time moves on. How many games do you estimate it would take him to notch 30 goals? 10,000? 10,000,000? How old would he be by then? (and yes, I know, he does great covering work, truly great. But still………….)

• HamarMagpie

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Brilliant decsision not to give into his high wage demands and lenght of contract. When his pace resembles John Barnes in his last years as a footballer already, we can dread the look of him in his mid 30s. Was a great servant though, but is at a suitable club atm.

• 89Norcal

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

@eastand, It’s true, Barton and Nolan brought that type of fire to the club.

At first I thought the problem was our new foreign players, until I found out most of them speak French! This next game vs West Ham is a good time for Pards to mix it up and establish a good system. I guess I don’t blame him for reverting to the defensive security of his 442 for a game at Anfield

• one Tony Green

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

What a great article ED you should run the Evening Chronicle who have only published half his article about living in a fishbowl and there on people now slating KN.

Nolan was great for us and scored a hat trick against the mackems.

Off to Bruge tonight have fun lads HWTL

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Norcal i think we need a leader in midfield i thought cabs would of stepped up to be that player he has’nt yet he needs to.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Anyone who thinks we can really strengthen our defence to a CL level without paying the same kind of transfer fee as we did for Colo is living in dreamland. Class defenders are around the £10m mark.

Kets, you are utterly clueless about how much your Panini pack will cost. Agree Alderwerield is a good player but you’re £3-4m under valuing him. Same with Remy £15m+ etc etc.,

• jawballsaswallwell

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Good grief! Carroll and Nolan back together and back at St James’. It’s bad, bad, karma. You can’t benefit from the sale Andy Carroll to the tune of 35 mill without dire moral consequence and Nolan will bag a brace as a matter of course just to remind us of his sense of the big occasion. It’s going to be a salutary lesson in life. How horrifying!!!!

• bills-son

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Nolan, after a poor start, was a very good player and a great club captain who played a huge part in the team spirit that got us promoted.

He also showed great leadership and maturity in rallying the lads around Pardew after Hughton was sacked. He get a great welcome back from me and from most fans.

As for AC, no goals yet for WHU, lets hope that stays the same after the game.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Citeh loosing to ajax

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I have a lot of respect for Nolan, I have the complete opposite for Barton. Nolan was and always a top professional. He was a great captain and leader for us and I would be appalled to hear any jeers go his way.

Saying all that I am hoping he has an off day as he regularly finds the target.

• BigKirky

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Nolan will get a good reception from me for sure.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Ajax 2-0 citeh getting spanked if they finish bottom of the table does that mean they dont even drop in to europa?

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

JP
    Nolan will get a huge ovation before and after then game but reckon he’ll get a fair bit of needle during the 90

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Oh citeh got one back great goal from toure

• geordie157

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

We spent a big part of the summer chasing the wrong De Jong, Siem would perfectly into our squad. Bet his value gone up a bit now.

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Firstly, Ketsy AND the John Tudor guy – no we DON’T need a ‘goalscoring’ defender, thats the kind of thinking that gets us a stuffing so no thanks. We could do with someone who gets to the byline from midfield more often and whips a ball into the box. That would be a place to start.

Kevin Nolan – tried his hand at brinkmanship with the big boys and got sussed. He should have asked for a 3 year, but got a bit greedy when he thought he was the man with the hand on the tiller. Wrong!
    I think he would still get regular runouts for the first team, Perch would have been nowhere if he had stayed. Tiote and Nolan could fight it out for who collected most yellows.

Joking aside, he earns hall of fame status through our championship year, and especially the mackem slaying which was a real treat.

• Tsunki

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

So was the ‘fishbowl’ comment a compliment or an insult? I hope he means he was a somebody in Newcastle, but just TC Mits in the Smoke….

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Geordie157
    Agreed lad looks cracking, same cant be said about babel i shuddered when we linked with him and now thankgod it was just paper talk!

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM

🙂 good to hear, I ‘ll have my ears open lol Mannn it’s great to be back in Europe ay lads. Although the Champions League is obviously were all the glamour is to have that extra mid-week game were I can watch my beloved Newcastle is great, I luv it just luv it! 😀

We have gone so close to reaching the semis and finals before that with this team if we can get our form back I believe we have a great chance of reaching the final and who knows we might get lucky and win it! If only we could get that extra defender and creative player we need I will be more confident about our chances but we’re still strong enough to progress further in the Europa Cup.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Bottom line is guys we need to spend a bit of money. Shoestring budgets and a bargain basement mentality dressed up as shrewdness and business savvy are just a con. £20m on players, 2 or 3 defenders would make a massive difference to us. Imagine a side with three equals to Colo at the back… plus Santon.

Come to think of it ONE Yaya Toure would do the biz..