Magpies Target Fought Hard For Newcastle Move Last Summer


We don’t know if Newcastle will try to bring in French International right-back Mathieu Debuchy in the January transfer window, and we suppose that depends a lot on what Danny Simpson’s intentions are, because clubs can come in and talk to him in January,  since his Newcastle contract runs out in June.

Mathieu Debuchy – in France’s colors – on phone regularly with Newcastle officials

It was no secret that Mathieu was desperate to join Newcastle in the summer, and he has revealed today that he was on the phone to Newcastle officials  a lot,  and he says Newcastle made several offers over 6M for him, and at one point he refused to train for a day or two at his Lille club of course.

And from what Mathieu has told RTL today it seems Newcastle were very persistent, and the news that Lille kept raising the price on the French International is probably correct, given what Debuchy says.

This is what the 27 year-old told RTL.

“I fought for the Newcastle move. President Michel Seydoux did not want me to go. I did not want to clash with him but yes, I was disappointed.”

“I don’t have any regrets, I was regularly on the phone to people from Newcastle, there were several offers of over €6M.”

“Hopefully there will be other opportunities in the future. That episode is in the past now and I’m focused 200% on Lille.”

“I did not want to leave to elsewhere. I wanted to go to Newcastle. Next year, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to leave. If I do, leagues in Spain, England, Germany are good options.”

Mathieu is saying all the right things there,  and if you are Newcastle fan or management,  it’s obvious he would still love to join Newcastle in January, and we’re also sure he’s doing his very best at Lille, and that’s simply because he’s an excellent professional.

That’s one more reason we want to get him, and we still hope Newcastle can get his lad on Tyneside in January, because if we wait until the summer he turns 28 in late July, and will be getting a bit old for players Newcastle like to bring in.

We hope Newcastle sign Yohan Cabaye’s best friend because we also need to fortify the Newcastle defense.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:


You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

12 comments so far

  • FAU

    Nov 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

    Comment #1

    I think we need more options at the back, so debuchy and centre back will be good, and we need better players on the left, Jonas work-rate is good but his passing accuracy is very low, it costs us 1 goal in Liverpool game, when his pass didnt even near hba that time.

    0
  • rainrix

    Nov 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

    Comment #2

    Oh god no more debuchy please!!!!!!!!!

    0
  • geordie157

    Nov 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

    Comment #3

    It would be nice to get him in as he is good both defensively and going forward. I would still prefer the younger option of corchia who like santon is good but needs to improve positionally.

    0
  • Dannyo

    Nov 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

    Comment #4

    So we had several offers over €6 mill. Wasn’t that the magic number peeps was sure we didn’t go to?

    0
  • jayphoto

    Nov 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

    Comment #5

    Think we can stop blaming the board for not concluding this deal now as its confirmed they offered in excess of lilles original €6m asking price!
    Would have liked Debuchy but Simpson looks improved this season and has played well! Would rather we looked at a left back and moved santon to the right!

    0
  • blew

    Nov 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

    Comment #6

    I totally agree with rainrix

    0
  • Graeme

    Nov 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

    Comment #7

    At 27+ he’s now probably too old for our illustrious leaders – they want players under 25 with “sell-on” value.

    Its obvious we need some serious strengthening of the back four and has been for 18 months – all we can do is hope that by the end of January they have acquired a new FB and CB at the very least.

    0
  • alanrichie

    Nov 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

    Comment #8

    We should defo sign clyne when southampton get’s relegated,hes young and still learning but i watched
    the WBA game last night and he looked so pacy and a good tackler and attacker.

    Also had thought about re signing jose enrique
    from the bindippers. rogers seems to not favour him
    i’d welcome him back, him and santon would
    be awesome!

    0
  • 9

    Nov 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

    Comment #9

    The tale of two right backs. The underlying answer is the same in both cases. Now that NUFC is no longer run by an idiot, we refuse to pay top dollar, both in wages and in transfer fees – particularly in the case of more mature, rather than younger, players. This means we can always be out-bid by senseless (only in a football sense, of course!) billionaire owners, but that’s true of nearly every club, not just the likes of NUFC. I would like Danny Simpson to stay, and I would like Mathieu Debuchy to sign, because one is good and one is very good, and this would provide total security and cover at right back. Neither of these things will happen. Simpson has refused to sign a new contract repeatedly. He knows what will happen: he will be allowed to sign for another club without them having to pay NUFC any money as tranfer fee – consequently, his transfer worth (£4m, maybe, but the exact figure is irrelevant) will be saved by the buyer who can therefiore afford to up his wages by that equivalent amount divided by length of contract. Result – big payrise for Danny Simpson. This is good business on his part, and is the downside of our low(ish) wage policy. The policy is correct but, like all policies everywhere in the world, is not perfect and Simmo has sussed it out.

    Similarly, as we would not meet Lille’s ever-inflating transfer valuation of Debuchy, we lost him. He is now getting over 27 year old so of vanishing interest to NUFC and, meanwhile, Lille have offered him a better contract which he has signed, so there’s no longer any prospect of getting him on the cheap, transfer-fee wise.

    So, both right backs leave.

    0
  • 9

    Nov 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

    Comment #10

    Well, they obviously don’t both leave, as one of them was never here. But you get my drift. I support our financial policy, virtually every other club will come round to it in the next year if they haven’t already done so, so even though it causes us to lose these two good players (notwithstanding the never-ending controversy over Simmo’s worth – he is, at the very least a strong squad player ) it is the right policy in the long run.

    0
  • Bloody Marveauxlous

    Nov 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

    Comment #11

    If we spend £6 million not euros, we could get Debuchy. Then pay 3 million for Douglas, 3 for Sissoko and £15 million on Seydou Doumbia then we’ll have a decent. Chance of top 4:

    doumbia ba/cisse hba
    sissoko tiote cabaye
    santon colo douglas debuchy
    krul

    0
  • Sav

    Nov 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

    Comment #12

    If we don’t continue to show ambition in the transfer market, Cab will be away anyway and therefore some of the attraction of Newcastle to Debuchy.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.