The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle New Boy Getting To Grips With English Football

10:45 am, Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

Club Brugge play in the Jupiler Pro League in Belgian, and it seems that Vurnon Anita, our new £6.6M signing from Ajax in the summer, could get another start tomorrow night, after playing the whole game at Anfield on Sunday.

Vurnon Anita trying to contain Raheem Sterling on Sunday

That full game in the white hot atmosphere of Anfield will give the 23 year-old some good experience, and he said when he arrived in the summer, that he wanted to play as many games as possible, in his first season on Tyneside.

Anita knows all about the Jupiler league having played in Holland, which borders Belgium, and he says tomorrow night’s opponents are a good side:

“We want to go through in the Europa League.” “The opposition is very good, so we must keep on working hard to go through. It is very close.” “The game against Brugge is important and we must go there to win the game.”

“For me, it is good to play as I have not played so many games.” “It is good to have games in your legs and if the coach needs me I will play. We will see what happens.” “That is important at Liverpool – I am happy I started and finished the game also.”

“That is good. It went well. I went to midfield and then right-back at the end.” “I can play both positions – that is no problem.” “It was the same in Holland – I must keep on working hard in training.”

“When my chance is there, I must take it.” “We were pleased at the end. We were a man down and they kept on pressing us.” “It was difficult but after the game everybody was happy with one point.” “After the goal, we kept the ball.”

“They were chasing us. It is a wonderful feeling if you keep the ball and play football.” “It was amazing to play at Anfield. The atmosphere was fantastic.”

Anita is having some trouble getting to grips with the Premier League, and it will take him some time to get used to the pace and the physical nature of English football, but he has still made 10 appearances for the first team so far this season, and that’s not too bad.

He’s likely to get another lengthy game tomorrow night in Belgium, either at right back or in central midfield.

We need a win against Club Brugge tomorrow to take our tally in Group D to 10 points from the first four games, and we’ll have qualified for the knock-out stages of the competition with a win.

That would be good.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Vurnon Anita

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Nov 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

He would be great in central midfield, alongside Tiote, which is his natural position. The more they play together, the better they will be.

• 2 Dannyo // Nov 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

@Graeme
    He isn’t afraid to go forward, so i could see him evolve into a box to box midfielder. Doing the same thing as Cabaye really.

• 3 Graeme // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Dannyo – the way he played in his early career, his best place was alongside the DM. In our case, that would allow Cabaye to play further forward at the base of a 4 man diamond and really allow him to dictate the play.

He is still young, still developing and has huge potential for the future.

• 4 Phatoon // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

4-4-2 Diamond eh?

We’d have to use attacking wingbacks for that:

…………………..Krul
    ……….S Taylor..Coloccini
    Santon………………………Ferguson
    …………………Anita
    ………Tiote………….Cabaye
    ………………Ben Arfa
    …………Cisse………..Ba

This will probably not look how I want when I post it ;)

• 5 Phatoon // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Actually came out quite close :)

• 6 Graeme // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Phatoon, try the back four sitting behind

Anita . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tiote
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Cabaye

Ben Arfa . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Obertan/ Marveax

. . . . . . . . . . . Cisse / Ba

• 7 Sav // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Anita and Bigi would both expect to get 45 minutes’ worth so they are both geared up for Sunday against Big Sam’s ‘ammers. I don’t want to see Nolan’s chicken dance at SJP again.

• 8 davybtoon // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Elliott
    Tav colo good fergie
    Tiote biggie
    Obertan amalfitano sammi
    Shola

That team is good enough to win

• 9 Phatoon // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I can see the team at the weekend being:

………………………Krul
    …………..S Taylor….Williamson
    Simpson……………………………Santon
    ………….Anita……………Cabaye
    Ben Arfa……..Ameobi(Sh)….Gutierrez
    ………………………..Ba

Need Shola in there to win headers etc, West Ham are a beasty team.

• 10 Ian Toon // Nov 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Munster Mag- pen pal. Let me firstly put your mind at rest you are retained on my reading list indefinitely. In fact I view you a bit like the BBC( opportunity for a few dark jokes-LOL) in your seemed mission to educate, inform and entertain. Your a challenging poster with or without the Guinness. Now how do I convince you that our style is not dissimilar from Stoke, West Ham, QPR and Everton! Well at present even without the ST findings it would be difficult. You know my much stated formation argument and the problems through
    injuries/suspensions to undertaking a more fluid passing game. At present it’s the art of the possible. Turning to the West Ham game, I recall seeing Blackburn beat us a few seasons ago at. SJP where Sam
    Isolated the defence from midfield and strikers we went long and lost 2-1 with Williamson at fault for one of the goals. Taylor and Williamson can play well together by being more disciplined and less gung ho. We need to pass the ball well and not play Anita at full back because Sam would put Carrol on him from set plays, he should be in a flexible DCM role. Games are won in midfield and Cabaye, HBA are far more creative than theirs. I do rate Noble. We need to be bolder when ahead. You can play a relaxed triangular passing game for long periods with a two goal lead. It’s the Jose Mourinho approach at Chelsea. I hope Marve get’s into the side because he has much to offer in a 4-2-3-1 system. Just be patient it’s a long season and with 3 points for a win league positions can change quickly. On long ball sides and Everton they are being found out increasingly and their tweaking the system because Jelavic is struggling. I don’t favour dropping goalscorers going through lean periods. Because they bounce back. No more Jonas because when your digging in you want the Jonas types. Keep on keeping on. Mind you the thought that your warming to me leaves me to pose a question. What am I doing wrong?

• 11 Dannyo // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM

NUFCfans.co.uk ?@nufcfans
    SHOLA AMEOBI has been called up to the Nigeria squad for the friendly against Venezuela on Nov 14 in Miami. #NUFC

Go Shola! :)

• 12 cyprus // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Ed, he knows all about their football because he played… in a neighbouring country? :)
    Anita says we held on to the ball? Must have missed that minute :)

• 13 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Thats all we need is Shola to get injured on international duty!!ha ha

I am a bit worried about West Ham if we play hoofball they will beat us maybe even comfortably as they will just wait for us to launch it knowing our midfield will never win anything in the air as they are all short arses

Would love it if we keep it on the deck and play nice fast interchanges with Arfa and Sammy running at them we could cut them up

Think Brugge will be a routine away win for us though we will score and then sit back but i think we will win 1 or 2 nil

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Dannyo….Thanks for that info. Good on Shola.

So, how long until Ed gives us a new article dedicated to wor Shola….place your bets now people.

• 15 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Ibiza…seeing as it is already on newsnow I’ll say within the hour :D

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Cyprus…tbf, I think we held it for around 5 or so minutes. That doesn’t include when we literally held the ball for throw ins.

Santon…Surely Pardew knows the way West Ham play will be instructing our players not to be thumping it up field without reason. I hope so anyway.

Forget their history or style, they are a newly promoted team coming to SJP, we should be taking the 3 points.

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Jesper….Probably a good shout.

• 18 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

…and I am thinking there will be another Debuchy article as well later today ;)

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Jesper…Interesting. Any particular reason? Is there some new news or do you just have a feeling we’re overdue one?

• 20 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Did someone mention Debuchy? Thank god I was going through withdrawal symptoms. :)

• 21 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Maybe…it’s an old one, but I read this today on newsnow:

..and I remember reading an article the other day about Simmo being doomed to leave in January? So I thought Debuchy :D lol

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Wizard…Fear not, debuchy talk is never far away on here mate.

A bit like if you ever need somewhere to go and hear outrageous slagging of players – look no further.

• 23 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Wizard…jesper to the rescue :D lol

• 24 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Jesper…I think Ed has covered that one in the past day or two….he goes on to say a move may still be on the cards, somewhere in Spain, Germany or England would be good….

From the sound of it he wants out of Lille still and would like to come to us, but doesn’t want to wait for us for too long.

Looking at Lille this season, they seem to be struggling. Will they see this period ahead as a time to restructure and do they feel they need Debuchy there to do so?

Personally, I see him leaving there in January and would love it to be to us.

Now, no more Debuchy until January. That is of course something anything actually comes out from either club.

• 25 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Ibiza – ah yes that Williamson was awful against Liverpool. He was the reason we only drew. He should be sent to play for Blyth Spartans immediately.

Jesper – why thankyou, peculiar Danish superhero. :)

• 26 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Wizard…No. I said outrageous slagging, that’s just being factual! :)

• 27 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

How can you say that about this years best defender in the PL :) What’s next – are you going to slag Simmo (last seasons best RB) ;)

• 28 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Okay there is absolutly no NUFC news out there so I am just going to throw this out in plenum :)

…do you guys think we’ll see some changes this week both in the EL on Thursday and in the PL this weekend?

Will we try something new (not completely new, but tried before) or is it still a case of not wanting to ‘kill our darling’. Any thoughts?

• 29 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

*absolutely

• 30 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Xisco Watch:

Xisco is on the plane, and in the squad to face Brugge.

More on this breathtaking story as it unfolds.

• 31 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Wizard…you little devil ;) lol

…where did you find that piece of interesting news?

• 32 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Full squad:

Abeid, amalfitano, sammy, shola, Anita, bigi, cabaye, cisse, colo, Elliot, fergie, krul, marveaux, obertan, santon, tav, Taylor, tiote, Willo, XISCO.

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Jesper…You know what they say, no news is good news.

With regards to formations, not a clue.

Personnel on the other hand I imagine will be mixed up. I’ll stab a guess at what I think (Bearing in mind I haven’t read lots of the articles lately, so may have missed a thing or two).

Europa (Thursday)

—————Krul————
    Simmo–Willo–Colo–Ferguson
    ————–Tiote—————
    ——Anita——Bigi———–
    Obertan—–Cisse——Marv

Premier (Sunday).

—————-Krul—————-
    Simmo–Taylor–Willo–Santon
    ——–Anita——Guti——–
    —–HBA————Cabaye—
    ———-Ba——-Shola———

Maybe more a 4-4-1-1with Ba infront of Shola.

In either fixture I could see Perch being played instead of Anita to rest him for the other fixture. Doubt Pardew would start him inn 3 fixtures in 7 days.

I also don’t want to see the typical 4-4-2 against West Ham. I don’t see the point playing with wingers if we can’t get a ball crossed in, especially seeing as this is West Ham’s bread and butter. Have Benny and Cabaye a little more central and have them linking up.

There. Pick away people, pick away.

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Brill…Couldn’t you have let me know that list 2 minutes earlier? :) Right, now I must review my EL team, make sure the players I’ve selected have even traveled (as I’m led to believe that is an important factor in away games!).

• 35 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Ibiza- next thread you naughty man!

• 36 jesperfuglsang // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Ibiza…your Sunday lineup is an interesting one – I could see it if it was more of a diamond formation (still no winger), but I doubt the silver supremo have the stomach for that :D lol

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Wizard…I’m already there, but seeing as I feel I’ve been told off, I might just stay here now. Fight the machine!!!!

Jesper….We’ll see mate. We shall see!

• 38 alanrichie // Nov 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

good post #4 phatoon.

id swap anita and tiote though

tiote is a proper DM anita has attacking abilities

previous post: Clube Brugge Manager Wants £3M Severance Package