Newcastle Striker Gets First International Call-Up

Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi has been given his first call-up by the country he was born in – Nigeria – for a friendly next week against Venezuela in Miami.

First call up for Shola Ameobi

And just when we escaped having two of our strikers, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse, away in January and some of February in the African Cup of Nations (AFCON), there is now the distinct possibility that Shola could be called up for that tournament, and not be available to Newcastle for a number of weeks.

Newcastle will already be without Ivory Coast International Cheick Tiote, who is representing his country at the AFCON.

Ameobi played for the England U21 side 20 times and scored 7 goals but has never been capped at the full England level and therefore is still available to play for the country of his birth, and even though he turned 31 last month.

The AFCON have had three tournaments in the last four years, and it comes right in the middle of the European football season, and is a huge inconvenience to teams who have top African players – like Newcastle.

The Nigerian coach Stephen Keshi will also name 15 players from the Nigeria Premier League for this match, as well as the foreign players, and this is in preparation for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations.

This is a list of the invited foreign players:

Goalkeeper: Austin Ejide (Hapoel Be’er Sheva/ISR)
Defenders: Elderson Echiejile (FC Braga/POR), Onyekachi Apam (Rennes/FRA)
Midfielders: Mikel Obi (Chelsea/ENG), Nosa Igiebor (Real Betis/ESP), Ogenyi Onazi (SS Lazio/ITA), Raheem Lawal (Adana Demirspor/TUR)
Forwards: Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kiev/UKR), Victor Moses (Chelsea/ENG), Shola Ameobi (Newcastle United/ENG), Obafemi Martins (Levante/ESP)

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Okey, next thread will be Xisco related.

Good for Shola, probably last international competition he could play in, hope he does well.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Well done Jesper….Timed to perfection.

Once again, really happy for Shola and let’s be honest, if we had to possibly lose one striker for the ACON, this is a good result as a toon fan.

• Graeme

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

To be honest, if the Demba twins were performing at anything like their best, would we actually miss Bambi on his jolly to the ACN?

Now, if our Illustrious Leaders lose Ba in January, what the hell are we going to do for goal scorers?? if Bambi is away?? It has taken over 18 months to not buy a CB, how long will it take to get a goal scorer?? As its urgent, maybe a year??

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Graeme…..Were those points meant to be connected? We’re not calling Shola a goal scorer now, are we?

If we’re talking about Ba alone, then I imagine with all of the speculation and this buy out clause, the new target is already lined up (better still, multiple targets).

It’s not the same as our “need for a CB”, as we do have enough CB’s really, just lack quality in depth really. Goal scorers is another issue altogether. Mind you, we didn’t replace Carroll in the same window (but to be fair, they only had a few hours to do that and have more than made amends since).

• jesperfuglsang

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

…damn I am good 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

fair play good old shola, all the best to him.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Have to smile at this links title 🙂

“Strong Squad & Xisco Named For Brugge”

• davybtoon

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Happy for xisco he must b doing it in training for pardew to consider him, and yes I don’t think he has ever been giving a chance to prove himself, maybe attitude maybe bcoz he was at centre of kk walk out, pardew says he now has his attitude spot on he’s only 26 would b Pardews greatest achievement to him into a key player for us

• jesperfuglsang

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

…I wonder if he’ll see any action (probably doubt it)

Hope to see some more of Abeid, Alfi and Marv – would be good to give them some game time ’cause it seems Obertan, Sammy and Fergy are hugging all the attention 🙂 lol

• Rotonda heights

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

davy

yes that would be great if xisco turned it around. At one stage he was being called the new Torres. If at 26 he finally realises time is not on his side any more, we could just see him emerge from the shadows.

• davybtoon

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Rotonda he was a Spanish under 21 with Torres n inesista n co so he has talent

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Howay ED wizard is kicking your ars3 with toon related news!!!

Good for shola well deserved for the big man!!

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Hopefully if xisco plays tomorrow he’ll bag a goal.

• euanpolo

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

From the squad I’d pick:

Elliot
    Santon – Tavernier – Coloccini – Ferguson
    Bigirimana – Tiote
    Sa. Ameobi – Marveuax – Obertan
    Sh. Ameobi

Subs: Krul, Williamson, S. Taylor, Anita, Cabaye, Xisco, Cisse

• Graeme

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ibiza, my humble apologies for my misleading phraseology – in no way was I deliberately accusing Bambi of being a goal scorer. Merely acknowledging the fact that he does, on rare occasions appear in the opposition goal area, sometimes stumbles and the ball miraculously ends up in the goal!! It happens far too infrequently to justify your sobriquet!!

• Obafan

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I’m from Belgium and this morning I got called by a member of the medical staff of Club Bruges. I know him, because I have already played a few times against his team (mini-soccer). He arranged 2 free tickets for me and my dad for the game tomorrow. I am so happy that I’m going to see my favourite team in action tomorrow night (I saw them once against Zulte Waregem and I went 1x to Newcastle but believe it or not; the game got suspended because it was snowing; it was against Charlton Athletic!).

I hope to see a few first teamers get a start and I hope we win the game. There is a lot going on in Bruges and they just got rid of their overrated trainer Leekens (the best thing Bruges did was pricing him away from our national team, cause he didn’t get good results), but you know what they say about a wounded animal…

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Graeme….. Am I reading too much in to your comment or are you peeved at my comment to you? My own overuse of sarcasm has caught me off guard here, so please accept my advanced apologies.

It’ll be interesting to see if Xisco gets any minutes tomorrow, if he’s picked up his efforts then he should be given a chance. God help him though it he plays badly.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Obafan…Hope you enjoy the game. Do let us have your thoughts on the game afterwards. Always good to hear what people in attendance thought.

• beefman13

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Why the hell has adam campbell been left out of the toon squad v brugges, has he an injury????

Cannot believe it otherwise, sometimes AP just contradicts himself about players. totally peed me off this news.

• cyprus

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Obafan, have fun

• Dannyo

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM

@beefman
    He better have, or i’m gonna go have a talk with AP.
    Shocked at seeing Adam out of the squad.
    He’s worked so hard and looked excellent in his two cameo roles.
    He scores and assists shedloads in U-21 games too.
    Xisco gets a hattrick and all of a sudden he’s travelling with the squad.

I don’t hope Adams injured, but i hope it’s the reason he’s left out. Cause if Xisco has just nicked his spot i think it’s utterly ridicoulus.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Beefman…..By contradicting himself are you referring to when he’s said that Campbell is as good as everyone else in training (or something along those lines)?

If so, surely that’s a motivational tool used to give the young lad some confidence and / or hope?

He will get more chances, don’t worry. I too want to see him getting more minutes than he is, however, as far as Europa is concerned, can’t really fault Pardew so far, we’re looking pretty comfortable at the minute. I guess Pardew wants this wrapped up tomorrow, then he can really experiment in the final two games…sounds good to me.

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Lets all have a Xisco!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

X-I-S-C-O, he was, X-I-S-C-O…
    He was X, a xylophone….okay, I didn’t think this one through.

I suppose we could say “X-citing”, but it hardly seems fitting. No song for the lad for now….

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

That was just rubbish Ibiza.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Maybe something about x-tortionate wages?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Belfast….True, but what did you expect? Honestly, it’s like you don’t know what I’m about. You xunt!

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Beefman
    Theres to much pressure on our youngsters these days
    Tomorrow for me is a must win to take some pressure of us, im sure if we win we’ll see more of the youngster in our remaning european group matched
    This always happens when we have a promising youngter they get massivly built up and we get frustrated when they dont get game time which is why i maintain youngsters should always spend a season on loan!

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

He’s only a kid like,im sure he’ll get plenty of chances.

Neil Lennons love child,dnt care what any one says.

That kid is defo Neil Lennons spawn.

• beefman13

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Ibiza, as you say he may want to try and wrap it up 2moro night and give the lad a big stage at home v maritimo, i hope so, but he is one of the players coming through and xisco will be on his bike when his contract is up!

That said its not the official squad so he may get in there , but AP may want to put what he sees as a strong team.

Dannyo, surely with Ba crocked for a few he would have added adam before xisco at least, that said as mentioned campbell may be on a promise v maritimo if we are already through after 2moro night!

• Graeme

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Ibiza, you are indeed reading too much into it, I am not in the least bit peeved. Sarcasm? What? You too lol

May I be so bold as to proffer help with your fledgling musical ditty – perhaps you could use I for Insipid??

• Dannyo

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

GRaaarghh!! I want Adam Campbell to play!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Graeme….Thanks for clearing that one up for me 🙂

Insipid is a great addition. Certainly better than what I was thinking; Ill thought of.

Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that song writing is simply not my forte

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Beefman….Just want to be clear, I’m not suggesting Xisco is a stronger option than Campbell. I doubt Pardew has any major plans to play Xisco or Campbell in this fixture. As always though, we shall see.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

One area I find really intriging is the sudden interest by the club in Xisco.Is the interest purely because of our lack of goal scorers or are they trying to “showcase” him in order to get him flogged off in January, and hopefully recoup a few quid in the process. In view of the history surrounding him I think he has no long term future at Newcastle whatever the reasons are behind the sudden interest in him. The interest in Xisco may confirm that Pardew realises we are short of a forward/attacking midfielder.
    Another area of interest, which I posted a couple of days ago, was the interview which Abeid gave to Sport fr. a couple of days ago in which he stated that Pardew wants him to go out on loan -but only after January. Why January? Clearly it’s after the transfer window. So is the “January” deadline to Abeid because Pardew thinks we are short of midfieders and he needs cover because we a probably going to buy another midfielder in January. We appear to have plenty of defensive midfielders so could this suggest the purchase of an attacking midfielder and/or sell off one of our defensive midfielders to finance the new purchase.
    Another area of interest/intrigue is the report by Pardew some time ago that the club are trying to re-negiotate a new contract with Ba. I really wonder why Pardew made it public again that Ba still has the release clause in his contract. My thoughts at the time was that they were setting Ba up for a sale in January -I still wonder. However,in view of the fact that Ba has been knocking in the goals -this must surely create greater interest to others who may wish to buy him. So are the club trying to re-negotiate his contract to keep him at SJP or is it a cynical attempt to get more money for him in the January window.
    I think we are going to buy players in January, hopefully Debuchy is one of them. I also think Newcastle have the potential to surpise us all with a “one off” better quality purchase, ie not an “el cheapo/bargain basement player”. One thing that I am sure of is that whilst Ashley sets the broad policy at the club -he at a whim can divert from policy if the circumstances appear worthwhile. I think the next three/four months will show us a bit more about the real intentions of the club/Ashley. Also after this group stage in the EL the teams are getting a lot better -this will create some problems for Pardew in juggling the players around between the PL and EL -incrementally the EL will get harder the further we progress. The prize money from winning the EL is about £6-7 million at least -so is it worth an early investment of cash for a new players(s) to create a better chance of winning the top prize/cash?

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

X tremely
    I nteresting
    C hoice
    S election
    O fski in the summer!

• Toon Tang

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM

i wanna see campbell up front with xisco kid on thurs night . partnership made in heaven, lets see it pards

• Toon Tang

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM

tads , very nice acrostic , you have skills

• beefman13

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM

tads, i have probably mentioned that i have watched both fergie and campbell since they have been at the club, both without a doubt good enough.

I honestly rate campbell in the same class as raheem stirling at liverpool, same age but massivly respected in the england set up are they both, as you say there is time but if your good enough your old enough.

i think adam is as good as shearer or owen or rooney was at 17 he is that ready, he actually looks like a cross between shearer and rooney and has the pace of owen, a big build up im giving him but i am totally confident he is ready right now.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Beefman
    Your probably a better judge tbf as i only really catch the highlights of the reserves and tbf the lad looks seriously talented perhaps im just pessimistic due to the amount of promising youngsters weve had who have amounted to very little!

1 2 3 5