The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ameobi Brothers Linked Up Very Well In Brugge

10:28 pm, Thursday, November 8th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew praised the performance of the Ameobi brothers – Sammy and Shola – as they linked up well in tonight’s game at Club Brugge and Sammy set up Shola’s goal for Newcastle just before half time, and there were other times when the two brothers linked up well.

Shola Ameobi - after scoring Newcastle’s equalizer

Newcastle hadn’t conceded a goal in the group stages after three games in the Europa League, but it didn’t look that way as early on in this game the Newcastle defense was all at sea, and it was no surprise when Brugge went ahead after 14 minutes and then went 2-0 up on 19 minutes, and both goals were poor goals to concede by the Newcastle defense.

But then a quite magnificent goal from Vurnon Anita brought Newcastle back into it, and Vurnon hit a headed clearance from 25 yards out on the volley with his right foot, and the shot gave the goalkeeper no chance at all and then after 43 minutes Shola scored a good goal after being put through by his brother Sammy.

The Ameobi brothers looked good tonight playing together up front and Alan Pardew seemed impressed, as he had this to say to Sky Sports after the game:

“I thought they were both good tonight. We had Ameobi to Ameobi – which is almost like a song – for the second goal, which was nice.” “I thought they were both good tonight. We had Ameobi to Ameobi – which is almost like a song – for the second goal, which was nice.”

“It was a great little turn from Sammy. He has just got this way of getting out of corners that I have not seen many players being able to get out of. He wriggles out of situations.” “He still needs to tighten up a little bit on the tactical and intelligence sides of the game.”

“He takes people on where perhaps he should pass.” “But he will learn that. He showed his talent tonight – and he marks at set-plays, which he needs to do. He’s 6’5″. “He’s not very good at it, but he’s learning.”

Certainly Sammy has a lot to learn, but that comes with experience, and Alan Pardew seems to know exactly where Sammy’s game needs to be strengthened, and we expect Shola to offer his younger brother a lot of advice as Sammy matures his game this season.

Bordeaux beat Maritimo 1-0 in France tonight, so Newcastle are one point clear of the French team on 8 points from four games in Group D, and next up for Newcastle are Maritimo at home in three weeks time, and then two weeks later we are at Bordeaux, and that game could well decide who tops the group.

And Alan Pardew is expecting to beat Maritimo in two weeks time, even though they put up a decent performance tonight against Bordeaux:

“We are going to have to kick ourselves if we don’t beat Maritimo at home, with all due respect to them.” “We have got ourselves in a great position and are looking to just wrap the league up perhaps with that win there, which is our next game.”

Newcastle will need to defend a lot better than we did in those first 20 minutes tonight, because a better team could have really punished us.

And Liverpool were beaten tonight 1-0 by Anzhi Makhachkala in Moscow, and may now struggle to get through the group stages, and Tottenham had a good 3-1 home win over Maribor, with a hat-trick from Jermain Defoe.

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Sammy Ameobi · Shola Ameobi

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Carryingcoals // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

You can never have too many Ameobi’s!

So long all, will write up my views on the game in the morning I think.

ps Don’t worry Pards, we’ll beat Maritimo at home, then you can win us the cup. That sound ok? :D

• 2 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

As opposed to the interaction on here, which is more amoeba to amoeba.

• 3 nick_9 // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Agree with Pards regarding Sammy, for a big guy he could prove to be a threat in the air and dangerous with his quick feet

• 4 Graeme // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Isn’t it amazing that the “Past” and the possible “Future” of the club are now two brothers. I thought the future would be, in reality, far more diverse; far more open.

Maybe I’m just missing the romance of this – but Shola has been a great servant of the club but at the same time, a fairly mediocre football player. Sammi has potential, no doubt about it – is he, however, the next Shearer? The next Gallagher, the next Gazza?? I have no idea – only time, his desire, his ability will provide the answer.

I truly wish them both well, but the hype, hysteria and bullshit surrounding them needs to be binned as completely non helpful to either of them

• 5 worjacky9 // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

@ carrying coals

You have said many interesting things during discussions this evening, I’ve found that I’ve agreed with much of what you’ve had to say. But if Newcastle win this competition then I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. No matter how many Ameobi’s Pardew puts on the field there are simply better teams out there I’m afraid.

beefman

You poor fellow seem deluded, Adam Campbell has done nothing to merit a starting spot. Owen/Shearer and Rooney combination? O dear..

• 6 worjacky9 // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Graeme – both are overrated and in actuality poor players. Our football club’s future would better in other hands.

We are in fact a mediocre side and should have won by at least 2 clear goals in tonight’s game.

The enthusiasm from some of you is pure delusion, you fall in to this category too coals.

• 7 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Positives from tonight for me were seeing us play the system I think we should play for PL games ie one up top tonight Shola PL Ba with pace on the flanks and full backs willing to get forward. Voted for Anita MOTM quality little player good brain and quick as lightening ! Sammy and Oba do great things but what disappoints me is the simple things look difficult, hope in time and experience their decision making improves and we could have two very useful wingers. Marv put some great balls into the box but his all round play left me a bit disappointed !

• 8 Tsunki // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Positive for me was getting the hell outta here from match tiime on thereby missing most of the plonkers turning on colo tiote etc and being shocked our fantastic euro side was losing.

Negative was the way our match was competely ignored on tv, summed up by ssn beginning to announce our match only to be interrupted by a spurious item on Wilshere being selected for england.

• 9 rainrix // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Graeme … Well shearer gazza and the like are once in a blue moon footballers. Although i do have high hopes for campbell, the last academy player who debuted at 17 got us 35mil, the omens are good ;)

• 10 rainrix // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Tsunki… To be fair its not been too bad post match, still the guy who said “thank god colo is out for 3 games” :|

• 11 Tsunki // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Rainrix ha ha that is probably where I shut the lid. Where do they pop up from. I will drop in tomorrow when the dust settles and we grown ups get to talk :D

• 12 rainrix // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Tsunki if you ever need to lose your faith in humanity this blog on match day is a good place to start :) enjoy your evening

• 13 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I entirely support the way Pards gradually introduces young players into the first team set up. I think he shields them very well from too much pressure, expectation and responsibility. I think you’ll gradually see more of and better from our youngsters as Pards never sets them up to fail. Can’t fault him in this regard.

• 14 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 9, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I think the recognition that Shola is now getting from the club, manager and fans has been hard and well earned. He is a highly effective presence up top, particularly from the bench, who has shown genuine loyalty and character over the years as he develops into a legitimate iconic figure and our all time leading scorer in Europe. These aren’t small or easy achievements.

Sammy on the other hand has it all to do, but has unique skills, real potential, imposing physical attributes and a fine mentor in his older brother. They aren’t among our very best players, but they are an excellent, humanising feature of our club.

• 15 Kc-Toon // Nov 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Shola is certaintly having one of his most consistent seasons so far, hes really looked a diffrent class upfront. From being a little lad, i remember him being the joke of the team, ironic cheers when he won a header and all that, But now his hold up play is second to none, wouldnt go far off saying one of the best in the league. And i really dont think hes getting enough recognition for his performances if anything. I think alot of this goes down to Pards’ man management of players. Look at players like perch, williamson, ryan taylor ect, all excelling, and so much youth coming through the ranks isnt a coincidence

• 16 Santon03 // Nov 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I honestly thought that we were going to get hammered and impossible to fight back after 2-0, and when were able to get 2-2 before half time I really thought we would win.
    I’m a bit dissapointed that we didn’t win, but I’m also ok with a draw, it’s better than losing. Lately, we become a draw specialist.

• 17 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Its easy to forget how experimental these european teams we have fielded so far. I remember posting before we got the qualifying place last year that the group phase especially would be a great arena to nurture our young talent and give them valuable experience to push for first team, better by far than the reserves setup which was producing little more than a runout for also-rans. So it has proved to be, in contrast to the negative musings of some who thought the european competition would stretch our thin squad. As it turns out, it is still the PL that does all the stretching.

• 18 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Oh and just thought I would add, could anyone direct me to the hype and especially the hysteria surrounding the Ameobi Bros.? I must have missed that, all I saw was selective praise, which appears to be largely deserved.

Shola will always have his detractors because he never lived up to the wishes of the many as the successor to Shearer, but he has found a role in which he excels as an assisting striker who facilitates and sometimes gets hard-fought goals. As mentioned by jawballsaswallwell, one of the best hold-up players (something he did take from Big Al) going and can also be hard to get the ball off when its called for. I dont know which other sub we have that can give us his kind of impetus in the desperate last minutes of losing games.

• 19 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Sorry, KC-Toon mentioned the hold up play part, jaw did the rest. :)

• 20 check the toastie // Nov 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Really enjoyed the game, thought we approached it in the right manner, bigi and Mr T pressed higher up the pitch ably supported by the rest of the midfield.

It is a shame that injuries (Gosling/Vuckic) have forced Pardew to play our most exciting youngsters in this competition and as such it was a joy to watch Sammi and Tav play some super stuff. It is all about pace and technique at this level and these two lads have it in abundance. Bigi for me just needs to work on his passing but his energy and willingness is great.

Have so much enjoyed watching the second team this year to the first team, we seem to have more movement and more threat going forward, i attribute this to playing full backs who want to get involved. Hopefully Simpsons NUFC career is now over, he offers nothing compared to other options at full back.

It helps when wide players can actually offer a threat going forward, the continued use of Jonas as a left midfielder is dragging the whole side down.

And we must play 433 at the weekend and take possession away from West Ham.

• 21 89Norcal // Nov 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM

What a great 1st goal for the club by Anita. It’s being compared to Pat Sullivan’s vs Partizan already.

The game was a good watch though we were a few times wasteful, but my god Sammeobi or “Sammidinho” was confident on the ball today. He doesnt even hesitate. Just get his reactions fine tuned and he could be a proper threat on the break in the EPL.

looking forward to a win vs the hammers this weekend, and booking our ticket to the EL knockouts in 2 weeks

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 9, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Morning lads!

I would just like to add that it is my birthday today :-) Have a nice one everyone.

Lets have that win this weekend – if not for NUFC then for me :-D lol

• 23 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Morning and happy birthday jesper have a good one :-)

• 24 Dannyo // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM

It looks to me like Tavernier got a message to emphasise his defensive game last night, as he didn’t venture offensivly that much.
    He was a bit stuck in limbo cause he got passed a few times, leaving Collo to stop crosses.
    Tav has great pace and skill, comfy on the ball.
    But positional awareness must improve.
    Glad he got the run out tho, he needs the experience.

• 25 Les Grossman // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Could that have been the laziest front line the toon have put out in recent years? Not one of the front players track back? Every time one of them lost the ball they stood looking as if to say ‘I give up’.
    I believe if we had fergie, cisse, Guti on last night, we would have pi55ed that match. I’m sorry but sentiment is not a pre requisite in football and the ameobis should be left in reserve until they can be sold and replaced with better players of which there Are millions out there who will work for the team.

• 26 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Happy Birthday Captain Darling. Hope you have a great day.

Just popped on to see if the blog had managed to survive a measly draw from an away fixture in Europe….it has…somewhat..

No doubt, back with y’all later.

• 27 check the toastie // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Les, you are one angry man. Sammy is an England international in waiting and Marvauex did some great closing down, and at one time in the second half tracked back so far he was last man and cut out a ball that would have put a Brugge player clean through on goal.

Shola is Shola, you should be used to it by now. Think currently he is doing OK, during his tenure at the club he has been far worse for laziness than he is at the moment. Take a prozac and chill, its a friday.

• 28 Ian Toon // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Jesper- Many happy returns of the day. Have a great day. Your gift will not be delivered until Sunday.

• 29 Les Grossman // Nov 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I stick by my synopsis thanks.
    Sammy Ame an england international in the waiting? God help us!!
    How many times di he lose the ball to an opposing player last night compared to how many times he created something with a key pass…..would you like me to draw up the statistics?????

Take off your rose tinted glasses, geordies do NOT have a divinal right to get into our team or the england squad! In an ideal world, everybody would be a geordie, I know that as well as the next man as we are gods chosen race, but to want every human to be a geordie footballer would be disaterous!

Too many on here bring too much sentiment to the table.

And Im very happy today thanks, Im off to dubai in a few hours for some R&R, and you my friend along with lazy overrated football players will be farrrrrrr farrrr from my mind :-)

• 30 beddersmag // Nov 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Les

Cant expect sammy to be finished article but he can do things mist cant and will improve in thise areas easily. He already has the things you cant teach. It took shola a decade to find his best form but this guy will be at the very top level within 2-3 years imo. Believe mate hes good enough to do it

• 31 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

C’mon Les, that’s plain mean spirited, they speak very highly of you.

• 32 Les Grossman // Nov 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

bedders, I hope your right. My opinion remains, he is not good enough at the moment! Gives the ball away far too often! Puts us immediately on the back foot and doesnt bother his arse to try and win it back!

jawballs
    Pleased they know me and think well of me. It must be down to my straight forward opinions and the fact I say what I see ;-)

Nice one