Club Brugge vs Newcastle – Match Preview

Newcastle United have an opportunity to get through the final 32 teams in the Europa League tonight, and reach the knockout rounds of the tournament, if we can beat Club Brugge at the Jan Breydel Stadion.

Newcastle are currently top of Group D with seven points from our opening three games, and we have two wins and a draw, and already beaten Bordeaux and Club Brugge at St James’ Park, and drawn with Maritimo in Madeira, in our first game in the group.

In the Premier League this season we’ve drawn half our games with 5 draws from our 10 league games, and we have to push on and make draws into wins, if at all possible in the future.

A draw would be a decent result tonight, but hopefully we will go all out to try to win the game, and Newcastle are almost certain to make wholesale changes to the starting line up tonight, from the team that started at Anfield.

Here’s the squad of 20 that traveled to Brugge yesterday and it seems that Steve Harper is not in the squad, although we were pleased that Xisco is making the trip and hopefully he will get some playing time during the game, and is likely to start on the bench.

Rob Elliot, Tim Krul; Mehdi Abeid, Romain Amalfitano, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Shane Ferguson, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Davide Santon, James Tavernier, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson, Xisco

Ryan Taylor, Dan Gosling and Haris Vuckic are long-term injuries and Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and James Perch picked up injuries on Sunday and will not play tonight, although Cabaye is in the squad, and maybe his injury is not too bad.

And out two suspended players Coloccini and Tiote will both start tonight and strengthen the side, so here’s a possible starting eleven tonight along with the 7 substitutes:

Elliot
Anita Williamson Coloccini (c) Ferguson
Obertan Tiote Bigirimana Ameobi (Sa)
Ameobi (Sh) Cisse
Subs: Krul Tavernier Taylor (S) Marveaux Xisco Amalfitano Cisse

The team above shows 8 changes from the side that started at Liverpool on Sunday.

If Cabaye does start on the bench tonight, then that means he will definitely start the game against West Ham United on Sunday, and could even come on tonight, but only if Newcastle find themselves in trouble.

Xisco scored a hat-trick for Newcastle’s Under-21 side against Stoke last week, and we hope he gets a chance tonight.

Club Brugge have one long-term injury – it’s a collarbone injury to Victor Vasquez that will see him on the sidelines for a couple of months, before he can return to playing.

Brugge manager George Leekens was fired last weekend, and caretaker manager Philippe Clement is short of players, and Philippe has only 18  first team players available to choose from, after Macedonian forward Ivan Trickovski and Israeli Lior Refaelov both failed fitness tests earlier in the week, and will not play tonight.

We want to see Newcastle get a win tonight,  but we’ll be happy enough with a draw.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• dutchy

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Cisse starting AND on the bench? Im guessing itll be Campbell instead of Cisse on the bench

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Would like to see our Spanish wonderkid get a game tonight to be honest. If all it does is boost his confidence and put him in the shop window as it were.

He used to be a pretty good footballer until Dennis the Menace screwed him up (and the club) in some style. I hope he comes good to be honest.

• t00ntime

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Lol did campbell walk there mate? I’m pretty sure xisco went instead of him

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

dutchy…..Ed’s just keeping the opposition guessing. Campbell hasn’t traveled, so unlikely to make the bench. Mind you, he is pretty small, maybe they haven’t announced him as traveling and have said some funds by transporting him in their luggage?

I think we’ll see something like this:

———–Elliot————-
    Tav–Willo–Collo–Ferguson
    ———Tiote–Bigi————
    –Obertan—Shola–Sammy–
    ————–Cisse————-

Maybe Shola up front, cisse on the bench and Marv in the mix.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Graeme….Can’t see Xisco starting, maybe, and that’s a big maybe, might see some minutes at the end of the game.

• dutchy

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Didnt see Campbell hadnt travelled, havnt got my glasses on obviously.

For Xisco’s sake I hope he comes on and does well, keeps working hard in training, and takes a pay cut if he signs a new contract in the summer.

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Ibiza, I think hourly would probably finish me off after a couple of days mate – I’m not as young now lol

I would leave Bambi on the bench and start the Disco Kid, but maybe Pardeau has other ideas! If he plays most of the 2nd half I would have no complaints in the circumstances. Its hardly a “Life or Death” game, to be honest lol

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Ouch, flinches, maybe shouldn’t have included that last sentence lol

• unified

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Newcastle is the only team that has still hasnt conceeded a goal in this season europe- and champions league. Let’s keep it that way tonight!
    GO TOONS!

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

dutchy….For Xisco’s sake….something in that. On a blog where politics and religion is not welcome, i think we have found a new expression. Good job.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Graeme…True, but if anything is gonna take you down, surely it should be that?

I think PArdew has said both Ameobis will be starting and that Xisco wont be starting or may not even feature. Be good to see what he has to offer though.

Unified….Nice stat. Let’s keep it that way indeed.

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ibiza – I can’t think of a better way to go. Finish, roll off, or roll her off, sigh, exit. Blissfull

Then crash into the pearly gates, totally wrecked, dick in hand, ready for an angelfest!!!

Bring it on lol (not too soon though!!)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I am not going to try guessing the silver supremo’s lineup – I never seem to get it right and when it happens I am very close I always get disappointed when I see the actual lineup in action 🙂

…I just prey to god it is not a 4-4-2 with Tiote and Bigi in MF (they sit too far back) or a 4-4-1-1 with Shola as a ACM, since the ACM has to have a lot of movement (we all know that is not his bag ;)) lol

I honestly think AP wants to win this one badly (so he most be aware of this)

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Interesting comments from Alan. Who are these underperformers then….

Marveaux?

He has said the following will play:

Colo
    Tiote
    Shola
    Sammy
    Williamson

Of the players who have traveled and have been given any time so far, it’s only really Marv I can see as someone who hasn’t taken their chances, so I assume he will be starting also. Maybe a chance will be given to Abeid and Amal?

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Graeme….I don’t think anyone on here would argue with that being the best way to go. Perhaps watching a NUFC winning final first, then victory sex, etc, but I’m splitting hairs.

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

The most obvious player on the sheet, who hasn’t had the chance to shine this season??

Has to be the Disco Dancer!!!!

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Ibiza – thats just plain wishful thinking mate – you could live to 106 and never achieve the latter – by which time the former is but a distant memory – for many!! (;-D)

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Graeme…The way I read it was people who haven’t taken their chances to date. Well, Xisco hasn’t had a chance, so not sure that includes him. Not long till we find out…

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Graeme….Wishful but not entirely impossible. Well, that’s what I’m going to continue to believe anyway.

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Ibiza – its only 3 hours to tv coverage, all will be revealed – had better pop out to supermarket – food may be a good plan at some point in the day!!

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Ibiza – I did say for many!!!

Obviously, there are a few who defy such laws and live life to the full. This is not a dress rehearsal afterall!!

I intend to fill it fully!!

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Graeme….Good man. Have a good one and enjoy the game!

• shirtonapole tinooo

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

lads, check this dude out
    He´s my hero!!! 🙂

0 2 tonight i hope

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

shirtonapole….What a lad!

“when she asks I will go on all night”

• shirtonapole tinooo

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Awesome isn’t he 😉
    I’m hoping at thevery latest we’ll win the league on the 100th anniversary 2027. At which point I’ll be 47 and hopefully still capable of going like the clappers!!
    Of course I’d rather we just got it over with and win the europa this year 😀

• Munster Mag

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Bit irritating to see Forster play so well v Barca and get an england call up. Surely we could have boxed more cleverly on this?

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Shirtonapole…..I have nothing but respect. I think I may have to visit him…learn his ways 🙂

If we win the EL this season, I say we fulfill this idea of the perfect way to go with a mass orgy, followed by a mass suicide off the tyne bridge. Step too far?

Okay, shirt on a pole, I need your help. What game was it when Tino waved his shirt on the corner flag? As I remember it, he scored, waved the flag, got booked, got another goal and then went off injured all in a matter of a few minutes, but my memory isn’t the best and this may have just been a dream.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Munster…Quick way to deal with this.

Krul or Forster? Pretty sure that’s as simple as it was when he was sold. Neither wanted to play back up and I think Forster was fed up of being constantly on loan and given how well he’s doing, that is understandable. I don’t think it was feasible to keep both and certainly at the time, Krul was the best choice.

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

What can one say? a man after my own heart – I have no desire for more sprogs though.

Still, accidents do happen, so its possible, I guess lol

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Graeme accidents do happen I was with my now fiancé for three months and it happened to me pill and all – So be careful very careful !

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ps lad is two and half and the best mistake ever ….

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Blaydon, make no mistake mate, I am WELL aware of the consequences – however, in Nigeria, its fair to say that an additional sprog is one of the lesser risks faced!!

Its fair to say I am a great believer in protection – I tie my ankle to the bed and a plank to my arse – every time!!

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

We really do cover all sorts of topics on here 🙂

Blaydon….Lovely sentiment.

So, reading various bits and bobs, seems Pardew has warned Brugge about Sammy and Obertan, so pretty sure Obertan will be starting also.

So my definite list is now:

Def: Colo, Willo.
    Mid: Tiote, Obertan, Sammy
    ST: Shola

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Graeme…What is it your protecting against?

• Mr_A_Clarke

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

hey lads.
    I’m in copenhagen tonight, any idea where the game is shown??

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Graeme I hear what your saying mate I’m sue I would just retire from that form of sport 🙂

• shirtonapole tinooo

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Ibiza definitely a step too far 🙂

It was against Metz 96, can’t remember him getting injured (may be wrong), but the rest is right…
    What made it legendary for me was it was that was the season they made it an automatic yellow for taking your shirt off at all 😀
    He’s a right heedcase

• Graeme

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ibiza – anything, and everything. If I haven’t got it, I don’t want it!! I was a boy scout as well – always come prepared!! Or something like that.

Blaydon – far too young to retire mate; but, like sport, it helps keep you fit lol

• Constanstine

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Xisco definitely has no future at this club, thanks to us. I just hope he get some playing time and good performance to attract some decent club. He deserves to get his career back on track.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Has anyone heard anything about a Adam Swand from Singapore having a trial with us?

…he was named the most
    valuable player in Singapore and now
    becomes second Singaporean to have
    a trial with Magpies after Ammirul
    Emmran who had a trial in 2011 on
    the back of the same achievement

1 2 3 8