Newcastle Target Now Ready To Move On

I’ve had a lot of stuff going on lately, and just closed on a house for one of my kids last week, and they are moving in today, and there were one or two good Newcastle stories I missed this week.

One of them was reported in the Evening Chronicle yesterday, and it was good news in that it seems Newcastle  target,  FC Twente center-back Douglas, who we were interested in all summer, is now ready to move on.

Douglas – now ready to move on

The Brazilian decided to stay on and see out the last year of his contract at Twente, and Newcastle balked at the £4M being asked by his club to take him in the summer, and we would think that’s been cut at least in half, should he move in January.

And if Newcastle can get the 24 year-old to sign a pre-contract agreement, we could see him move to St. James’ Park for nothing in the summer.

Douglas will definitely be one of th seven center-backs that Newcastle have on their list they are targeting for January.

And it seems that Douglas is well aware of the interest for him from Newcastle, as he had this to say recently:

“I have another year on my contract, but I think I’m ready to take a step forward. I hope to move on next year.” “I did not move before because I hadn’t been here long enough to play for Holland. I am happy at Twente. We are doing well in the league and we can win the title.”

“Based on my style of play, I would go to England or Germany, where there is interest. Many clubs have already probed me and there have been conversations in every window.” “In the last one we had Newcastle, Schalke 04, Borussia Dortmund and a team in Russia – but at the moment I’m not talking to anyone.”

Of course Douglas doesn’t give much away there, because next year could be January or in the summer, but we’d love to see Newcastle sign this lad, who has been part of the last two Dutch squads, since he got his Dutch citizenship in the summer.

We’d probably prefer to get him for free next summer, given that Newcastle can bring in at least one defender in January.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Nice timing Ed. I still think there is life in this deal. I would imagine, unless Pardew is really screaming at him, Ashley will try and tie him up to a pre-contract for a free transfer in the summer. Yes good business, but they should really think about what difference he would or could have by playing for 6 months and whether the saving is really wise in the long run.

• toon smart

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

repost from last thread

@ Ibiza

Definitely not Debuchy. We tried and it all went messy and i don’t think it can be sorted out.

Douglas – I think he is going to wait to the end of his contract and see who gives hom the best offer. That could be us but i am sure his agent will maximise his advantage.

Pieters – for all the reasons stated above and the fact that the Simpson contract situation doesn’t look like being resolved and the suggestion made to Santon by Pardew that he will be played on the right

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

toon smart….Something about you makes me think you’re a clued in guy, you know, smart. So I’ll take your word on the Debuchy deal.

I can wait for Douglas and would be delighted getting in Pieters, although I’ve heard some criticisms, but not sure that wasn’t solely down to the game against England.

• toon smart

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Nah my moniker is more ironic than anything insightful. I con only just sbout speel

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

🙂 No worries mate, speeling is overrated anyway. Although, can’t say I’m much of a fan of irony….

• Toon1978

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Debuchy, Sissoko, Douglas and Carroll would be a nice winter window lol.

• Super Magpie

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

If we are going to sign Douglas we need to get him in January. We are so weak defensively and we need someone brought in to try shore it up and give us some cover.

ATM we have Colo suspended,Perch injured, Williamson may also be injured since he was taken off last night but nothing has been said so I’m assuming he’s fit.

That leaves us with Saylor to play CB if Willo is injured. Which means we have to play Simpson there against of all teams, West ham. I remember him going there for the last 5 minutes last week and a cross came in. He didn’t even attempt to head it and was beaten to the ball so easily. That shows the lack of depth we seem to have ATM. Tavernier is nowhere near ready either judging on his error yesterday ( he played well tbh, but mistakes like that can’t be made in the PL)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Whi said having a birthday is a picnic 😀

Ibiza…irony and sarcasm is overrated anyway 😉 lol

• toon smart

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

@ Ibiza

I don’t like irony either, can never get the creases out

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Toon smart….Very good.

Jesper…Happy Birthday!!! (Again). Hope you’ve had / are having a great day.

You know me mate, straight talker, no time for silly stuff or sarcasm.

Super…..Would certainly help us out.

• Super Magpie

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Ibiza

Hmm, maybe I should rethink our game on Sunday. West ham will play 4-5-1 and will look to cut off the service to our forwards. I worry if we play 4-4-2 it will be a case of long ball pinball. Maybe a clean sheet is unlikely considering we’ve only kept 1 in the PL so far. I’ll go 2-1 then. 🙂

If they do score I can imagine it being a Carroll knockdown for Nolan to score from. Quite Ironic seeing as they used to do that for us.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Ibiza…I know and thanks mate 🙂

…so how has life been on the blog today?

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM

@big papa

Where did I say he couldn’t post

Just having a dig at his little immature ways

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

@big papa

Where did I say he couldn’t post?

Just having a dig at his little immature ways

• toon smart

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

@ Jesper

Happy Birthday!

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Super….As much as I don’t want to, I can see those two causing us some grief. Let’s hope we’re wearing our scoring boots. as I think we’ll need a couple of goals at least to win.

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

@big papa

Where did I say he couldn’t post?
    Just having a dig at his little immature ways

• toon smart

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

@ Ibiza

Thank you. I’m here all week

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Jesper…Not been on for long, but from I can see…quiet. Probably everyone having their own private celebration for your Birthday!

• Graeme

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I would take Douglas on a pre-contract any time he is ready. He would work so well with Colo, covering his newly identified weakness. He would give Taylor a massive wake up as well

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

@big papa

Where did I say he couldn’t post?
    Just having a dig at his little immature ways, find it funny him using height as excuse for him failing his supposedly extremely promising football career

• sanchez

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Hope we bring him in the winter as a long term understudy to Colo. Should get Douglas in ASAP, we can phase him in during the second half of the season. He will slowly displace Williamson and then Colo in a few seasons time when age begins to take its toll. The club needs to keep thinking a few seasons ahead.

Plus all of our defenders seem to be injured again. Now where have I heard that one before?

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Fray….If you have something to say…just say it 🙂

Toon….I wont miss a single show.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Ibiza…and so they should 😉 you should also go and have a night out – my treat 😉

…Ian told me I won’t get my present before Sunday 😉 lol (I think I know what I am getting)

• Super Magpie

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Ibiza

I’m sure we’ll get the job done somehow. We seem to have sneeked through a lot of games this season. I was looking through our home record the other day and was surprised to see we’d won 6/8. 3 in the EL makes up half of that but because of our PL performances at home being average I didn’t think we had such a good record.

Mind, we are still yet to win away…

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Jesper….I think I know too….I just hope he delivers 🙂

I’m afraid no night out tonight for me….absolutely hanging. How about you? Up to anything this evening?

• Graeme

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Happy Birthday Jesper – are we having a Blog Birdsong Beverage Birthday Bash??

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Super…I was surprised to hear that last night. No away win since Chelsea! Not losing too many, but not even one win?

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Yes I will

Actually while I’m on the subject, I played alongside iniesta and xavi at Barcelona’s youth setup but I was 7ft 5 at the time, but they left me out the team, I think they had a bias for the small guys but please believe when I say I was a better player!!!

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Fray….I most certainly do, as I know the real truth. Bigger is better.

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Evening people – Toon followers from all over how are we blog seems a bit dead …. Good to see Kets in the last thread and also noticed score predictions and noticed one with the scum scoring ha ha ha

• Super Magpie

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Ibiza

It’ll be dissapointing if that record doesn’t end against Southampton in a couple of weeks. The next 3 games are games we should really be winning. They can kick start our season or leave us ebbing along in Mid table like we’ve done so far.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Ibiza…I am drained right now 🙂 just kicked my guests out and put my son to bed 🙂

…the sofa is calling I think and maybe one of my many Rum bottles 🙂 lol

Just bought a new one today by the way – Ron Zacapa 23 anos, my favorit and my present to myself.

Speaking og Rum have anybody seen ppB lately?

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Jesper…Sounds a nice way to cap the day off….fitting for a captain anyway. Enjoy it.

Not seen ppb for a while, is it too late to call “man overboard”?

Super…Agree. Next 3 games are important. Haven’t looked great so far, but 2 or 3 wins would really change things, we’re really not too far off the pace at the minute, but pretty soon the gaps will start appearing and top, middle and relegation groups will start forming.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Graeme…thanks mate 🙂 is it my treat or are you buying? 😀

• fray bentos

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

@ibiza

It’s a hard life tho

Always getting turned away for being too big

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ibiza…I am thinking the same. I have send out an S.O.S 😉

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Fray….I feel your pain mate, keep plugging away, good things will come.

Jesper….I’ll let you know if I see anything from up here.

Right gents, I bid thee goodnight. Catch you all later.

• jawballsaswallwell

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Carroll – Taylor, “Mano a Mano,” it promises to be quite a contest.

On this occasion Collo’s suspension might even prove to be a blessing.

• Graeme

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Jesper, it will be my pleasure to buy you a birthday bevvy, not a problem my friend