Can Newcastle Win Something This Season?

Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan return to St. James’ Park tomorrow afternoon, and we suppose they will get a hostile reception, but in truth both lads did great for Newcastle,  and both helped us to get out of the Championship at the first attempt, and played very well for the team – but we suppose they’ll still get booed tomorrow.

Ben Arfa – in action last Sunday at Liverpool

Hatem Ben Arfa has been in great form this season, and he’s playing some of the best football of his career in England, and the French International thinks it will be good for Andy and Kevin to return to Tyneside tomorrow:

“It is a good situation for them coming back.” “But most important for us is to win. We have to focus on our own game and win it.” “He knows what type of atmosphere there will be at St James’ Park, and I think he will want to show them he is a good player.”

“They did some good things for Newcastle. Nolan and Andy Carroll did well here. Nolan has big experience and he knows how we play.” “But we now have to focus on winning.” “We feel we can go far but the next few weeks are the most important.”

“If we find consistency we know we can push on for the top four places.” “I can play in Europe now. The Europa League is a very good competition.” “But there is also the FA Cup and we have to treat the games in every competition with the same intensity.”

“After that everybody will be happy at the end of the season.” “When I was at Lyon I played almost every year in the Champions League.” “I know what is needed. It can be different. But the intensity of the Premier League is almost like playing in the Champions League in terms of standard.”

“Every game is very hard. That’s why the English usually get to the latter stages.”

Ben Arfa is being rested in the European games this season, but once we can secure our place in the knock-out rounds – hopefully – we should see Alan Pardew field much stronger sides, in an attempt to have a good run in the tournament, and I suppose we could even be in with a chance of winning it.

But there’s only two things we can win this season – the FA Cup and the Europa League – since the league is beyond us and we lost at the first hurdle at Manchester United in the League Cup – now called the Capital One Cup.

Come to think of it – it would be fantastic if Newcastle can actually win something this season, for the first time since way back in 1969, when we walked away with the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

Certainly players like Ben Arfa are used to winning things – so you never know. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• obatoyou

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Bob the builder? Yes we can!!

• WWYCD

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Always a chance…but a lot would need to change from our current play for us to actually win something

• catchy in norway

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

with the squad we have, YES

with the manager we have, NO

the one cup i felt we had a chance to win would have been the league cup,,

but it seemed that wasnt important to pardew

our best game of the season was thursday night,, and we where poor up front,,,

sammy looked really good, as did anita,

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Good morning,

Yo….Change our play or perhaps get a bit more luck. Just look at Chelsea last season in the CL….style doesn’t always win trophies, in fact, it’s probably the opposite in most cases. I still think it’s highly unlikely, but I suppose there is a chance…albeit slight.

Either way….loving the possible optimism from Ed and Benny, keep it coming.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

catchy….Anita looked really good the other night….finally some glimpses of what I was expecting to see. A vast improvement from his other performances to date. Whilst lacking that killer edge, I saw some of that earlier promise from Marveaux too, I think he just needs a run of games and he could do the business for us. The ideas and skill is there.

As for Sammy, I think he has a big future at the club, let’s just hope he continues to progress.

On Pardew, I know you’re feelings on him, so not worth beating to death, let’s just say I disagree and that I believe if Pardew sees out his contract we will have won something. Would be lovely to do so this year, but not really a big requirement, he’s just coming up to 2 years in charge and still has time in my book.

• WWYCD

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Ibiza
    Both tbh lad, our luck isn’t up to last seasons true but we haven’t been unlucky but our players haven’t been up to scratch so far imo sparks here and there but overall below par. Tactics have been average thus far and I’d say the inability for us to start a match at the whistle is very worrying.

Fair point about chelsea but their ability to defend is a lot more impressive than ours. Conceed we could win a cup this season but some players would have to show what they did last season rather than the current form they are on

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Yo….Can’t really argue with any of that (although I’d love to 😉 ). I honestly expect the team to spark sometime soon and being the positive thinking guy I am, I think it could all work out really well.

We’re not doing too great, but overall, we’re in a reasonably good position. Two or three good PL results and we’re well and truly in the mix again, EL qualification should be the minimum objective as far as PL is concerned, I’d love CL, but really am not even entertaining the idea for now, way too long still to go.

The EL group stages is looking good at the minute, but we shall see. Assuming we make it through, we’ll have the January window, which I am thinking / hoping will prove to be a successful one, giving us an extra boost for the spring. By then, with new players and hopefully some improved form / belief, we can cause a stir. How far that will get us is anyone’s guess, but it’s not too far out of the question to think we could put together some sort of run. Season has been far from spectacular, but that could change pretty quickly.

• WWYCD

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza
    Yeah all true mate a run of games in our favour would change a lot (though maybe not Pards tactics haha)

Am happy with the Europa league run tbh we are doing very well and should qualify imo. Tbh am just tired of not enjoying watching us play

• tequilamag

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

People can criticize pards tactics as much as they like but we will qualify easily from the group stage of EL whilst at the same time bringing on some excellent young talent . Injuries have clearly not helped us to find form in the PL but we are still sitting in a very healthy position and can move up a few places in the next two games with 2 home wins.

• woolerbill

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

We will win nothing this season, we can’t even win a game. If somebody can tell me of a game we deserved to get 3 point?

• Tsunki

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM

woolerbill – not even worth replying to that utter tosh. but I have. Oh.

• woolerbill

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Tsunki. Can you tell a came where we played good football, as per last season

• obatoyou

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Our game against Liverpool was top class, the goal they scored might not have been, Tim krul had his hands on it, could easily have ended 1-0