The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Asian Player On Trial On Tyneside – Loving It At Newcastle

1:30 am, Sunday, November 11th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle’s latest young player spotted by Chief Scout Graham Carr is impressing in his two week trial on Tyneside, and this time the lad is from Singapore, and Adam Swandi could well be signed by Newcastle, following his trial.

Adam Swandi – number 10 – is loving his trial at Newcastle

The news a month or so ago was that Newcastle will not sign any more young players under 18, since the club have had little success when they’ve done that before, but Adam looks a very good player, and it would be great to have a player of Asian descent on the books.

And Chief Scout Graham Carr is the one who brough him to Newcastle,  so the coaches can take a look at him.

Swandi is on a two-week trial at Newcastle, and it seems that Newcastle have indeed increased their scouting mission to now include Asia, and that potentially means a lot more travel for Chief Scout Graham Carr.

The youngster has been training with the Newcastle U18 squad under the careful eyes of manager Dave Watson and Development Director Peter Beardsley, and he will alternate between training with the U18s and U16 during his two weeks on Tyneside.

Adam has spoken to the asiaone web-site about his experience at Newcastle:

“It’s been a great experience so far to work under the coaches here, who are all very experienced. I didn’t even know who Peter Beardsley was until one of the other coaches told me.” “I just hope I can keep learning and improving my game over the next two weeks… I wish this stint would never end.”

Adam has displayed a voracious appetite for the Newcastle food during his time in England, it must be those Gregg’s vanilla slices, said he has had no problems settling in on Tyneside.

“Honestly, I don’t feel cold or uncomfortable at all when I train.” “It’s been a great experience so far to work under the coaches here, who are all very experienced.”  “I didn’t even know who Liverpool legend Peter Beardsley was until one of the other coaches told me.”

“I just hope I can keep learning and improving my game over the next two weeks – I wish this stint would never end.”

The Newcastle Youth Academy manager and former Everton player Dave Watson had this to say:

“He’s settled in really well and coped with training with the older boys excellently,”  “Technically, he’s very, very good, and he’s got a great football brain too.” “I’m sure he’s used to better weather in Singapore, but playing in this sort of environment is great for his experience.”

“The only issue I see with him is that, because of his age, he’s not physically developed that well yet.”  “But, over the course of his stay here, I hope he can express himself and not be afraid to try things, because he certainly has the talent.”

Swandi has trained with the Singapore’s National Football Academy and his trial is through  November 16th – and maybe this lad will impress enough that Newcastle will sign him, even though he’s not yet 18.

And as we said earlier, it would be great to have an Asian player at the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Trial

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben_BKK // Nov 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Liverpool legend Peter Beardsley? He’s not gonna win over many fans saying things like that lol. Although he is from South East Asia and they all love Liverpool over there, so I can’t say I’m too surprised really.

• 2 Baro // Nov 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I love seeing new youngsters/ wonderkids signed up! …. I really hope we give this kid a deal! I just love youngsters who are so skill ful!…

some highlights…

• 3 toonincheek // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Was he spotted by Graham Carr?

Or was this trial part of a prize based on some award in Singapore?

• 4 Widowmaker // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Come on, he is only 16 and wasn’t talking in his mother tonge.

This kid is a very skillful dribbler and I hope him to get a chance. football is big in South East Asia and Singapore surely has lots of influence on broadcasting!

• 5 pedro // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I dont like him already. “i didnt know liverpool legend, Peter Beardsley”

• 6 ToonTromso // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Isnt it a little bit strange to sign him, when we have a policy that says that we wont sign players under 18?
    And if we sign him, it would take some time before we see him in first squad action. Maybe in Capitol One cup in 2 years?
    Otherwise I have no idea how good this player is..

• 7 ~Anita One Bites the Dust~ // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Toonincheek

As far as I’m aware, (i live in Singapore), I haven’t heard of any such competition. However Since I don’t follow the S-league over here I don’t know much about this guy either :/

• 8 RedMissionBells // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Hi everyone,
    I am from Singapore too.

FYI, Adam was NOT scouted by any Newcastle scouts or Gram Carr. Adam won a local competition award which was sponsored by Turkish Airlines and Football Association of Singapore. From that award, he was given an opportunity to train with a European team.

Please make this clear. And his training stint is only 13 days.

Lastly, being Singaporean, the lad has to serve 2 years of military at age 18. This cannot be exempted, therefore, please kill the thought of signing him.

• 9 ~Anita One Bites the Dust~ // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

by competition I meant Award.

• 10 toonincheek // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM

pedro –

I r4ecall one of our major signings comenting that he
    hadn’t heard of Pedro when he joined us.
    Did some checking and quickly realised why he is a Toon legend.

Don’t dismiss this kid from Singapore for such a petty reason.

• 11 Widowmaker // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Yeah, we forget about national service here. Hope the kid has some fun. It is highly likely that the National service will destroy his talents. How many players cOuld make a good come back after a two year absent? Poor kid

• 12 Kc-Toon // Nov 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

@ToonTromso
    It is quite strange, perhaps this lad is viewed a class above the past signings.
    And pardew seems to give youth many appearances along as they have the right attitude and abiltiy, look at Bigi, Sami, Tavs ect, I dont see why players cant see premier league action no matter the age
    Look at sterling at liverpool, 17 and tearing apart experienced full backs, Malaga have regularly fielded a lad recently turned 16 uptop on his own!

• 13 pedro // Nov 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Thanks for the advice toonincheek but my comment was not to be taken quite so seriously

• 14 chris_g // Nov 11, 2012 at 3:43 AM

To be fair to the lad it looks like he didn’t actually refer to Beardsley as a Liverpool legend. If you look at the original article at http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20121107-381979.html it says “”I didn’t even know who (Liverpool legend) Peter Beardsley was until one of the other coaches told me.” The words in brackets were obviously inserted by the person who wrote the article.

• 15 toonincheek // Nov 11, 2012 at 3:48 AM

pedro –
    I didn’t really take your comment that seriously,
    but it was somewhat negative for no good reason.
    (except for not knowing one of our legends)

• 16 Shot Bru // Nov 11, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Typical of English coaches…Watson identifying the only issue is his lack of physical development….even though he has excellent technique…

• 17 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 11, 2012 at 5:30 AM

He may not have heard of Peter Beardsley when he arrived, but I’m sure he knew all about the Blackburn and England legend Alan Shearer.

Yoi!!!

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Morning lemon crew!

a few positions still need to be assigned. You can all sign up during today ;-)

…so of you have some, how should I say it…tension you need sorted out before you bord ;-) lol

Anyway the big game is up – are we confident?

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

*so=some

• 20 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Ed, you can’t misquote the kid like that. Very remiss.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Ed…by the way you most have been busy with buying that house for one of your kids, cause this is yesterdays news mate ;-)

…I even think Conaldo News have covered it :-D

• 22 darrenfletcher88 // Nov 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Hope we go 4-3-3 today,this game today will show us what to expect this season,west ham are a good side,not great but solid,these are the teams that we have to pick up 3 points if we are going to be up there again.

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Darren…don’t count on it mate ;-) Maybe the silver supremo will field his onw version of it or what I usual call his alternative 4-4-2 with Benny roaming around free on the right and Shola going wide on the left – or the other way around.

…it is still a 4-4-2, but sadly one that adds nothing to our game. We will see he comes up with today :-) I am not counting on anything new to be honest…

• 24 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Jesper

Im not confident our performaces this season give me no confidence going into the next game, i hope this is the game when we turn but i cant see it.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Eaststand…I think the major concern iis that AP really believes in his vision some would say that he is blinded by it!

…some argue that we don’t the players for a more fluid system but I see lesser teams pulling it off every week ;-) so I don’t really buy into it!

I don’t think AP has the stomach for it (maybe he is affraid it won’t work) But looking at the table we are going to need points soon so something probably gotta give :-)

• 26 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

If he just give it a go then we can find out if it works or not, all we ask for is for them to have ago and press teams instead of it happening to us all the time.

• 27 MacToon // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Why is it neccesary to form a group, a clique within this blog, it’ll end in tears and it’s very immature.
    It’s one thing talking sh1te day in, day out for months on end but this constant need to be reassured of your own self importance by virtual buddies is bringing the comment section down to a new low level.
    No wonder there’s so many people disappearing from commenting.
    There’s one group on here and they are NUFC fans and supporters.

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We are veryt hard team to beat on our day – kudos to Pardew, but last season he showed that we can also be a team that takes 3 points from most teams and still play an attractive brand of football.

…I am not sure what changed since the second part of last season. We all know that finishing as high again will be very difficult and we can accept less.

…football-wise I just don’t see why we have to settle for less if you know what I mean :-)

MacToon…what’s your concern mate?

• 29 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Mactoon – there’s no actual cliques you know, just people having a laugh when there’s not many people on. Calm down.

• 30 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

About the match, it will be a tough one, west ham are not to be underestimated, they have made a great start to the season and have some good players.

My team would be this, (given the players that were rested for Thursday)

Krul
    Santon Willo collo fergie
    Ben arfa cabaye Anita Jonas
    Ba cisse

Can easily switch to a 433, with Ben arfa pushing up, and works defensively as Jonas and fergie will link up.

My heart says we should win, my head says it’ll be really tough, my stomach says i need a sausage sandwich and a coffee :)

• 31 RonVanDam // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Has anyone seen this? Its funny as Fcuk

• 32 check the toastie // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Conaldo, is your knowledge of our team so poor that you hadnt noticed Collo get sent off last week.

Sometimes i despair, and Mactoon i agree, if its not the sickly Optimism Valley Shit, its some other newly formed band of brothers. weird how people want to belong.

The only good thing about Jonas playing today if there is one is that he will play CM in Mr T’s and Perchinhos absence, thinjk Pards will do 433 today actually. Would like this below personally

Krul
    Santon Willo Saylor Fergy
    Anita Jonas Cabaye
    Ben10 Marveuax/Sammy
    Ba

About time Pardew stopped putting square pegs in round holes just to keep players happy. Dickhead he is.

• 33 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

We win today and we put ourselves right in the frame at the top end of the table, although I genuinely fear the capacity of Messrs Carroll and Nolan to nip my hopes in the bud and it’s the hope that kills you, of course. How I dread these terrible long hours until the relief of kick off. They suck!

• 34 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Check – my bad that was supposed to say Saylor. I get so used to writing colo in the team sheet I didn’t even notice. And I haven’t had my coffee yet.
    I can see you obviously haven’t had your coffee yet either, the delightful mood you’re in.

• 35 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Krul
    Santon Willo Saylor fergie
    Ben arfa cabaye Anita Jonas
    Ba cisse

• 36 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I like Anita and I have high hopes for him but if he’s marking Nolan, my lower self sees him being out muscled and outwitted to our great peril.

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Wizard…I can tell you there is a difference between how I think we’ll start and how I think we should start :-)

…for me there is no point in starting in a 4-4-2 just because it can be changed to a 4-3-3 very easily ;-) the important thing is how you set out.

4-4-2 is very different from 4-3-3 so I would rather we accepted that and build the team around that approach :-)

…I know I am a bit of a rebellion lol

• 38 Conaldo (The Wizard) // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Jesper – I don’t think it is beyond us playing well in 442, I think if the players are on form and playing well then the formation doesn’t really matter. However yes, 433 does appear to yield better football result. If we played 433 I think sammy should be in with a shout on the wing.

• 39 rdb123 // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I wish we would stop playing to accommodate BA. Put him back to left wing 4 3 3 with cisse in the middle. Got a strong feeling the only reason BA is still here is because AP promised him the central role. Cisse on the left of the front 3 just won’t work

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Rdb123
    Yeah lets put the selfish bastard back on the LW who does he think he is asking to play centrally and then having the nerve to start scoring regularly keeping us up around only being 3 points off 4th/5th
    Selfish tosser
    Everyone the very instance we revert to 433 that cisse will instantly and as if by magic will start hammering in goals

• 41 Lee Dodd // Nov 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

This Lad Will Probably Get a Contract Because of TV rights etc. More Dollers for Big Mike !!!!!! Were are all The Geordie Kids That Would Die For Newcastle United ??? If he is that good then get him signed up If He Likes Gregs and Likes The weather ha ha. Once he has signed up send him out in A Blizzard and see what he says then !!!! ha ha !!!!

• 42 Lee Dodd // Nov 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I would Put BA on the Left Wing HBA on The right and Cisse and Adam Campbell up front !!!!! Shola on the Bench !!!!

• 43 Sazzer // Nov 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This kid reminds me of Oscar. (Now Chelsea player). Hopefully, he will develop to that level and join us because of this experience in five years time or so.

• 44 Casperlim // Nov 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Also a Singaporean too. Swandi is there just for a 13 days training stint after winning the TNP-Dollah Kassim Award.

But would be proud if he can land himself a contract…

previous post: Great News – Young Newcastle Star Gets International Call