Captain Hopes Striker Gets Some Respect Today

Kevin Nolan has said today that he hopes local lad Andy Carroll gets some respect this afternoon, when he returns to St. James’ park, but given what happened last April when Andy played at St. James’ Park that’s not very likely.

Andy Carroll – will get booed again today?

And Kevin himself may get booed, although he was great at Newcastle and was an excellent captain, and of course Andy Carroll was great and has his best goal scoring record at his home town club.

Kevin Nolan, who was on Tyneside a short 30 months but scored 29 goals in his 85 appearances for the Magpies, only one less than Michael Owen managed in four years at the club.

This is what Kevin told the press yesterday:

“I am hoping that Andy gets respect, as they know what efforts he put in when playing for Newcastle and helping them to be where they are today.” “We want him to get off the mark and hopefully win the game for us and break a few hearts.”

“We both had some fantastic times up there. Now 50,000 people are going to want to boo us. But if we went out in the evening they would probably still want pictures.”

And one of our striker targets could be playing today, as Sam Allardyce joined signed Modibo Maiga, and that’s the striker who failed a medical at Newcastle early last December, and was a Newcastle target last year, but hasn’t exactly set the Premier League alight this season.

Newcastle brought Papiss Cisse in from SC Freiburg last January, rather than Maiga.

Sam Allardyce is returning to the club who ruthlessly sacked him in January of 2008, after only six months in the job, and of course Alan Pardew was manager of West Ham and brought them within a minute of winning the FA Cup against Liverpool in 2006.

But in that great Cup Final it was a certain Steven Gerrard who came through when it mattered most for The Reds and equalized in the 91st minute, in what was a thrilling game – with Liverpool eventually winning on penalties.

If Newcastle fans are going to boo both Nolan and Carroll, then at least remember what they did for the club – they were immense while on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

A little booing haven’t killed anybody 😀

…it is football (as long as it is within reason I can’t see where the harm is)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It seems we hurt big fat Sam’s feelings when we sacked him (I hope his compensation helped ease the pain ;))

• jawballsaswallwell

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Only a half baked nitwit would boo either one of them, so I’m fully expecting them both, and especially Andy to cop it from the small but significant percentage of dunderheads amongst us. Although I’ll admit to enjoying a little schaudenfraude when he was subbed off last season, but that was for Liverpool, so it doesn’t really count cos they blow so f@cken much.

• Tsunki

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Nah he will be booed its a cert. Strangely though, if he were to return, I am also certain the vast majority of the club would sing his name again. Funny old world isnt it?

He is in exile basically, and while he is out there, he remains a Pariah poor lad.

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I can see AC getting major abuse although don’t think Nolan will get too much.

I think most people respect what Nolan achieved while he was with us and the reasons why he left – for a longer contract and the security it gives him – we would all probably do the same thing!!

• Tsunki

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Just to qualify my remark, btw, I wont utter a word or sound. I’ll give Nolan a nod though, even though in reality he did virtually the same thing ha ha.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Jaws…that statement is on your own account. It is football and booing is bound to happen (as long as it is civil; you don’t have to do it)

…but don’t take the higher morale ground it is not becoming!

• Tsunki

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Oh and by my remarks, the observant among you will have discerned that I can, after all, attend the match today despite my earlier assurances I could not make it! Huzzah!

Seems like ages since I last went to a match and its a great day for footy today so Howay the Lads get in!

• Tsunki

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Jesper – the higher moral ground is a shell-scarred pimple whereupon nobody survives for long when they take it. Its like ‘capture the flag’ up there mate! 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Tsunki…enjoy the game mate (if I hear the abuse being directed towards either AC or KN is coming from you there will be hell to pay :-D) lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Tsunki…that is why no one should put themselves up on a pedistal (just to be taken down) lol

• toon1707

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I don’t think carroll would have got such bad abuse and booing last year if he hadn’t of dived in the box. I noticed it escilated ten fold after that incident during the game

• jawballsaswallwell

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Not becoming. Crikey, well excuuuuse me!!!

Some of it’s beyond good natured ribbing, don’t you think.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Kevin nolan
    will get a huge cheer before the game, rightfully so, he then get 90 mins of shit/banter as would any ex player, rightfully so, and then get a rapturous round of applause and his name chanted after the game, rightfully so!

Fat sam
    Will get dogs abuse all afternoon what an idiot deserves all the stick he gets!

Andy carroll
    Did well for us, left us, came back dived tried to get timmy sent off threw a paddy stormed off down the tunnel and out the stadium, now is coming back trying to ressurect his career which he pissed away by signing for the bin dippers
    He’ll get a sympathetic clap briefly then not a second thought

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Jaws…what are we talking about – a little booing or racial abuse?

…a little booing is harmless! It is football and 50000 spectations are going to be watching 22 overpaid footballers who would sell their own mothers for another pay day!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Just to make myself clear i am of course talking about a little booing 😉

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

TADS – far too generous for Andy mate lol. I can see him getting some serious grief to be honest. He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory last time he was here, did he!!

Fat Sam is fat sam – so confident he is right, for a man who has actually achieved very little. I think your prediction could be accurate lol.

Nolan will be ok – as long as we don’t have to watch his chicken dance – then things might change lol

I think we will struggle again, but hope we can limit them to a maximum of 1 goal – I cant see us scoring more than 2 which is worrying!! Would love to be proved wrong with Cisse banging in 3 lol

• jawballsaswallwell

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

He’ll get more than a little booing from more than one or two in the crowd, especially if he does what he was adored for by us, scores a goal. But hey, i’m not getting on my high horse about it, but i can’t imagine you dishing out some of the abuse I’ve heard at St James’, much of it toward our own players. It’s not becoming, Jesper.

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Jesper @15 sell their own mothers for another payday. Whilst I agree wages for footballers are ridiculously high, I think that comment is bit OTT. Colo donates a good part of his salary every week to pay for the running of an orphanage in Argentina. Not all footballers are mercanaries

• Lee Dodd

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I think Enough is Enough we have all moved on Now . Kevin Nolan Got us Back up in Style. SO Deserves Respect. Fat Sam Well he has Moved on Not To Andy Carroll He Has Suffered Enough He should Get Some Respect But Not as a Hero . If he comes Back as It Looks as If he will are we going to Hive the Lad Hell again ??? No. I dont want to see the Fiasco happen that happened when he played against us with liverpool I want 3 Points and a Good Game . Not some stupid incodent like nolan and Carroll in a barny with Cabaye and Taylor etc !!!!