Match Preview – Newcastle vs West Ham

Newcastle have won only three games of our first 10 games in the Premier League this season and we’ve drawn five, and to climb the league table we need wins, and that’s what we’re looking for in today game against West Ham United today at St. James’ Park.

Newcastle are in 10th place on 14 points from 10 games, and West Ham are one point better off and one position higher than us, in the league table.

West Ham haven’t done all that well on their travels in the league so far, and they have one win, one draw and two defeats in their four road games, and have scored only 3 goals and conceded six in their four away games.

And old faces are returning to the club today with former manager Sam Allardyce now managing the Hammers, and former captain Kevin Nolan, and local striker Andy Carroll will both start the game for the opposition this afternoon.

As far as Newcastle go,  we have Coloccini suspended for the next three games and Cheick Tiote suspended for this game,  but this will be his final game he sits out, after being sent off after 25 minutes at Sunderland.

And just by the way – Sunderland lost again 2-1 at Everton yesterday – and yes – they actually scored through Adam Johnson just seconds before half time to go ahead, but let in two goals in the final 45 minutes, and now find themselves 5th bottom of the league.

Haris Vuckic, Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling have long-term injuries at Newcastle, and Alan Pardew said during his press conference on Friday that Sammy Ameobi was a slight doubt for this game, and of course James perch is out for several weeks.

Danny Simpson is also a doubt, but we’ll assume he will be fit, so here’s a possible team that Alan Pardew could start this afternoon:

Krul
Simpson Williamson Taylor (S) Santon
Ben Arfa Cabaye Anita Gutierrez (c)
Ba Cisse
Subs: Harper Tavernier Ferguson Bigirimana Ameobi (Sa) Obertan Ameobi (Sh)

The question is who will Alan play in defensive midfield today, since Tiote is suspended and James Perch is out injured for a few weeks, and it could be that Alan prefers 19 year-old Bigirimana, because he is a more physical type of player than Anita, and probably better fitted against a strong and physical West Ham side.

But given Anita’s excellent game on Thursday night at Brugge, and his fantastic goal we expect Anita to start somewhere today.

The main battles today will be between Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor against the aerial threat of Andy Carroll, and the goal scoring threat of Kevin Nolan.

For West Ham United, defenders James Collins and former Newcastle target James Tomkins will have fitness tests and could play, and Guy Demel is available again.

But significantly West Ham are hit by injuries with Matthew Taylor, Ricardo Vaz Te and Jack Collison all out injured, and they will not play today.

The referee for the game is Mike Dean of Wirral.

The game today will be preceded by a wreath laying ceremony and one minute’s silence as part of Remembrance Sunday, when we remember those who gave their lives and perished for their country in previous wars.

It’s simple what Newcastle need today – a win and all three points.

And finally, let us know how you think the game will go today.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM

…well I don’t precive people to be mercanaries just because they look after their own best interests. But if their best interests is collecting signon fees after signon fees and negociate a payrise eveytime then I guess I am

…That is not my thinking; I don’t want to make a generalisation, but show me a modern footballer where money is not everything at the of the day/career. Even Colo is not better than the average footballer.

I donate what I can to ‘ Save the Children’ and if I could get a payraise so I could donate more i would.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

…and that is a fantastic thing to do, but I would probably take the pay rise regartless of the donation 🙂

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Some say Fat Sam could still be hurting from his sacking!
    Ok it’s not a nice thing to happen in your career but let’s just say his severance package softened the blow immensely 🙂

Hoping for the win today,don’t think the two mentioned players deserve to get booed today but that’s often what happens in football

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Marty toon
    Every ex player at every club will get banter for the 90 mins they play against there old club the difference will be whether or not the said players are given a cheer after the game doubt many would boo nolan at the final whistle

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I send money every month to “save my house in Ireland” and if I could get a pay raise I would send more too 😉
    Don’t want to take the +iss out of a good cause as I’m all for helping the less fortunate and had I more money myself I’d help a lot more.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I hope we are going to try and close down their MF and limit their passing options; it worked aginst us when AC and Nolan was playing for us 🙂

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I’m hoping for a win, but would not be surprised to see us going behind (Seems to be our latest trend) and having to fight back to scrape a draw.

Would be much happier to see us start with all guns blazing and get straight into them. TWO goals for us in the first 20 minutes would be perfect, puts WHU on the back foot and knocks that smug smirk right off Fat Sams mug.

Mon the Tooooooooooooooon

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Marty…non taken. Tht was just my take in Colo being such a good samaritan 😉

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@toonarmy
    I agree with ya that it’s only banter
    Nolan will probably get applause after but i get it that big Andy won’t cause of the big pay day hangin on his shoulders.
    I don’t think we should consider taking him back as it never seems to work out although he’s still young and it’s his home town team.
    We won’t get him anyway as we won’t bid anything over 10 million

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

*that

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Graeme
    Nolan and carroll or not weat ham are there for the taking they could be going into this game with one fit CB just hope cisse turns up today to remind andy what a number 9 is all about

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Jesper, footballers have a relatively short career and obviously want to maximise their earnings in that career. Though I am fairly sure Colo took a wage cut when he resigned his contract. He was reportedly on 90K a week when he first signed and now it has been reported that he is on 60K. Again your avoiding the question would you describe him as someone “who would sell his own mother for another payday”? Sietoon has already given you an example of another player who donates a large amount of his wages.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Marty
    Aye never go back in football!

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Not confident at all today..

Think It will be a draw to be honest..

• dmac

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I wouldnt boo any of them normally except carroll deserves it for his diving and attempt to cheat us. Calls himself a geordie and does that was truly disgraceful.

Nolan did well for us doesnt deserve it
    And Fat Sam was so insignificant it doesnt warrant me wasting energy.

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Jesper
    Well there’s plenty of fat rich football players that don’t think of helping the poor at all so fair play to Colo and Cisse and the likes but as you say,it’s easy to give when ya got plenty to give around 😉
    Hope they remember me this Christmas 😉

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Tequila
    Whether or not all footballers are mercs i dont think it applies to the main footballer in question unless andys opened an orphanage somewhere!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Tequila…I don’t know exactly what Colo is on, but I heard he was on £80k a week and is still on £80k a week. That was a demand from him (hence the orphanage he supports).

…would he donate that much money if his wages were less? I don’t know but I highly doubt it 🙂 Woud he sell his own mother – now you are just clinging to the word and that the phrase. I think Colo would have left if we didnot meet his demands and I think the only reason he stayed when we were relegated was because non one would take him on his salaries at the time. Don’t get me wrong I honestly believe he loves it here now and as long as we are willingly to pay he’ll stay 🙂

About footballers career being short (then there are those who stay on afterwards as a coac or manager untill their late 60tees) I am pretty sure if you do the math you’ll never get anywhere near them mate. I am pretty sure they would survive on less and I don’t pity them sorry!

It seems these days footballer leave for the money (a longer contract on better money) Whether they have an orphanage to support or a family to support (does that really make a different what the reason is?)

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Jesper, I am not clinging to anything this whole debate started because you used a ridiculous generalisation but as you are clearly not going to answer the question it seems pointless continuing the conversation.

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Nolan is a strange one for me.

I still think he played a huge part in Carroll becoming greedy,switched to Nolan’s agent etc etc

Then appears on liverpool tv,kissing liverpool’s ass lol

I probably wouldn’t boo him,but I wouldn’t cheer him either.

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Belfast, Nolan did a good job for us but I don`t really miss him. Cabaye is a better long term option for us.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Marty…I just think it is a cheap points tht’s all. Everyone could do with giving a bit more if you ask me (for some it is just much easier)

…here in DK we have certain rules that only apply to highly quilified workers coming from abroad to work here in DK since your taxes are sky high. People don’t want to come here because of that eventhough healthcare and education is free (it seems they either can afford it our their insurance take care of it). Foreign athletes have had the same benefits, but since there is a limitation to three years it seems everybody want to leave when the three years is up.

So does it really matter if they are donating money to charity og sending money home?

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Belfast
    Greed bieng the key word mate regardless of whether or not we made him hand in a transfer request doesnt change the fact that he was demanding a huge new contract 3 months after signing one!
    Jesper may of over done it with his generalisation but his point is very valid theres no such thing as loyalty in football its all about the wonga!!

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yea he did a great job when he was here like.

It was just all very strange,the way Carroll switched to Nolan’s agent,then started to ask for more money.

Then Nolan appearing on Liverpool tv.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

*your = our

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Tequila
    I actually do miss nolan we’ve missed his battling spirit and goals we score very little from midfield any more

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

TADS – did you really have to mention the “W” word?? Heads down before the flak starts lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Tequila…yes I think money is the more important factor for Colo as well! We can leave it at that if you would like (but honestly I don’t think you have taken a word in I have said – you have jut been clinging to the sentence ‘sell your own mother’)

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

If Nolan did talk him into moving to Liverpool,It was the worst advice ever lol

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Tads. I agree he did a great job while he was here. Just don`t think he was worth another 4 year contract which would have taken to 33 on pretty high wages. We got decent money for him. I think Cabs is the better player but his goal return could certainly do with improving.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Graeme
    Its okay ibiza hasnt turned up yet and he’s clueless to the fact that the b*** is the w***!

• Rotonda heights

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Why would Pardew take Carroll back?
    Ok he may score today but I don’t think he has scored for West Ham yet in any other games. He does seem very injury prone and means we can only play hoof ball.

As for Nolan the guy who advised carroll to leave for Liverpool…hmmm. Cabaye has scored 2 in 2 and hit the post v Brugges and provides way better passes than Nolan.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So the bird is back (or at least that’s the word) 😉 lol

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Tequila
    Aye couldnt really justify a new 4 year contract for a player who puffed like thomas the tank engine after an hour!
    Still we need to start getting a few goals from midfield especially with benny n cabs!

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Jesper
    I get that as I now live in Norway and although it’s known as the best country to live in at the moment because of its wealth,it’s a very expensive country to live in.
    People get well payed here but housing,cars,food and drink is ridiculously overpriced here.
    Schooling and health are also almost cost free over here but players leave as soon as they can get a contract somewhere else.

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m always delighted to welcome a bird back, usually makes for a very enjoyable afternoon / evening. There’s a lot to recommend it lol

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Jesper, again your saying I am clinging to the statement”sell your own mother”. However what you fail to see is that if you had not made such a ridiculous statement we would not have been having this conversation. And I do understand your points and find it rather patronising to suggest otherwhise . I conceded that footballers wages are ridiculously high and in general they will always go for the best contract they can get. What I disagree with is that all footballers think only of themselves. There is a distinction to be made between disagreeing with someone and not understanding them., or are you so arrogant that you think everything you write is correct and if somebody disagrees with you it must be a case of they don`t understand your brilliance.

• Marty-Toon

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Toonarmy,
    I agree that we need more goals from the team.
    Our back four don’t give us 10 goals a season,we must have one of the least scoring defenses in the PL.
    We also need our wingers and Tiote to pitch in with more

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Marty
    Aye it doesnt look good for us if ba or cisse leave/pick up a long term injury!
    Cabs is starting to get into better positions and has nabbed a couple of decent goals but we should be looking at 10 goals a season from him same from benny too, hopefully stevie T will start hitting the net soon!

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Marty seems like Tiote is going to be once every couple seasons scorer but I bet they will be screamers.