Simpson And Ferguson Start Against West Ham

Now we know what Shane Ferguson played not part at all in the game on Thursday night – as the Northern Ireland International has been handed a starting position this afternoon in the home game against West Ham.

This is Shane’s second start in the Premier League this season, as he continues to push for a starting position in the Newcastle team.

Danny Simpson comes in at right back, and it looks like Jonas Gutierrez could be playing in central midfield this afternoon, unless Newcastle play in a 4-3-3 formation.

There are none changes made form the side that started on Thursday evening against Club Brugge in Belgium, with only Tim Krul and Mike Williamson keeping their places.

As expected both Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll will start for West Ham United.

This is a game Newcastle can win (and should win), and we need all 3 points and we could climb to 7th position with a win today.

Howay The Lads!!

Teams:

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Tim Krul; Danny Simpson, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon; Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Jonas Gutierrez (c), Shane Ferguson; Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse
Substitutes: Rob Elliot, Vurnon Anita, Gael Bigirimana, Romain Amalfitano, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Shola Ameobi

West Ham Jaaskelainen, O’Brien, Reid, Tomkins, McCartney, Noble, Diame, Nolan, Benayoun, Jarvis, Carroll
Subs: Spiegel, Demel, Collins, O’Neil, Hall, Maiga, Cole

• shirtonapole tinooo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Interesting. ..
    I’m sure someone put this as their lineup, but said pardew wouldn’t have the balls to do it

• nufc786

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Don’t tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
    I just don’t think it’d understand
    And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
    He might blow up and kill this man
    Ooo

Don’t sell Cabaye, Yohan Cabaye
    I just don’t think you understand
    That if you sell Cabaye, Yohan Cabaye
    you’ll have a riot on your hands
    Ooo

courtesy of the fans from brugge

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Sammy apparently has a knock.
    I can understand the pick for Jonas today. He’s the only player eligble for that spot that has been rested.
    Anita played two in 4 days, Abeid just not there yet.
    Gosling and Vuckic injured, Biggie played Thursday.

Great to see Marveux and Amalfitano ready to go tho.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Don’t like Jonas as part if a two in the middle.

As a three it’s not too bad, as a two it will mean cabaye won’t be forward as often as he should be.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

But I like te pace and quality on the wings. Should provide good service for Ba and cisse

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

TS…about your post in the last thread, I would say I agree very much so.

Money play a major part when a player chooses where to play, but other aspects should as level of play is important. I would think a player and his agents have certain demands (both money and level og play) and those who meet those demands are in contention.

But I would state that there is probably a big difference between a player in the beginning og his career and a player at the end of his career 🙂 if you get what I mean!

Disclaimer: this is not an atemp to make a generalization even though a generalization is merely a foundational element of logic and human reasoning. It serves a purpose.

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

@Transfer Sage
    It’s easily flexible to a 4-3-3, and Jonas and Cab are really the only CMs available.
    As i said in my last post, Anita has played 2 in 4 days, Biggie not quite there on the PL start for me yet, and Jonas was rested during Europe.
    Abeid a non topic yet.

• catchy in norway

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

dannyo

jonas, should not be playing even if he has been rested, anita should get that spot, and if he tires later, maybe bring jonas on, anita has had 2 days full rest,

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Jesper

Yeh agree about players at end of career.

Look at Anelka fr example.

Won trophies on England, Spain and euros and World Cup.

Now he is in his 30s nobody will begrudge him going for a couple years of a huge pay check in china.

He wouldn’t have done this early in his career but at the end it’s totally understandable.

• toonbrother

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

silly line up. Ferguson is best used as an impact sub. His ability to keep possession and make intelligent short passes is severely lack at this stage of his career. Jonas and Cabaye in midfield will leave our back four terribly exposed. |I fear the worst today. You heard it here first

• Rotonda heights

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I really hope it’s a 433 because otherwise in a 442 we’ll keep our record of hitting more long balls than any other team which is a disgrace.

We know what to expect from allardyce but I thought we were better than that these days.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Dannyo

It could be 433 but I bet we start 442. Same as all season, play badly in 442 then at some point in the game switch to 433 and play better. (442 works a lot better when shola plays)

Jonas may be rested but I’m sure Anita could manage it.

And even so with Jonas offering nothing attacking wise when he usually starts on the left (I know he won’t today) he should be the one playing in Europe and we should be bringing through Anita into the first team.

Anita was a regular in the Ajax midfield last year and you saw how well those lads passes and moved against man city in Europe. He will never adapt tithe league if he gets 15/20 mins at the end of a game. He needs a few starts.

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

@catchy
    I wouldn’t want to play Jonas either.
    But if you play a tired player, u highten the percentage for injuries.
    You could say to do your suggestion, but i think AP still sees Jonas as an easy pick, and therefor risks nothing.

• jamesnufc86

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Toonbrother – Ferguson is a tidy player – I haven’t noticed him losing possession too much at all, plus with his crossing ability we should be in good shape , is it raining where u are ?

• toonking

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

well well even when ferguson is allowed to start we still get people stubborn on the blog.
    this team today looks a decent one and i am happy with it myself. now it is up to the player themselves to show they can do it especially HBA and jonas who both have been poor with their passing. also what i think there is no excuse for today is holding back BFS is a long baller so all we need is two defender to stay back the rest can get forward.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Hmmm, intriguing line-up. Hopefully some swift attacks and dangerous deliveries, all too often we’re laboured in our build-up and give chance for the opposition to get set in their shape, which particularly limits Cisse, but him and Fergy have shown signs of forming a great understanding.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Rotonda

The long ball can work and at times it is essential, players need to know if the short pass isn’t on that a long ball should be played, Liverpool often get caught out playing it short when it’s too risky.

My problem is our forwards (except shola) can’t do anything with a long ball, often lose it.

If we are going to go long it needs to be more of ball into the channels to run onto, not just launched forward with no thought.

I think there is a difference between a long ball and a well though out long pass. We seem to hit and hope too often as you rightly say.

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

@Transfer
    Oh i won’t argue the Anita vs Jonas cause.
    After the series of poor performances Jonas has had, it should be a fairly easy option imo.
    I’m just saying what i think is going through APs mind.

• JAMSHA

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

good line up….but should have played wit one striker n 5 mid….anyways fergi n.hba on the wing…would b great to c some more crosses for ba n cisse…3-1 to the toon.army 🙂 howays

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Todays game really worries me.

This is the most unconfident i’ve been all season. lol

Diame,Noble,Nolan. v Cabaye and Jonas by the looks of it?

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Dannyo

Jonas is a safe pick for pardew.

He may not deliver going forward but pardew knows he will work hard and make the team tighter defensively.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Not a bad line-up.

Jonas is a clever player hopefully he’ll attract lots of fouls and avoid seeing red … 😉
    I prefer him in this position rather than on the LW.

Great to see Fergie get a start this lad is quality.

Willo & Saylor v Carroll should be fun.
    Willo scares me.

I think an easy 2-0 …

HWTL

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Atleast Saylor and Willo doesn’t have pacey forwards to keep up with.
    We’ve got hight and strength at the back today and i think that will show. Carroll and Nolan far too slow to pose a threat in that manner.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Belfast

We may struggle against the 3 in midfield but west ham often go long over them or play it to the wide men to cross so hopefully cabaye and Jonas won’t have too much to do in the middle.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Dannyo

Ah right, thought you were putting out your opinion not Pardews reasoning.

Yeh fully agree with you then.

Pardew is just a little cautious for me.

Against a lot of teams we should be more dominant and really go for it.

Too often our players seem too concerned with hanging back to defend and not attack in numbers to kill games off.

But before I get slated….I like pardew, don’t want him sacked, I just want him to acknowledge the quality in the team a bit more.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

One important facet of Jonas’ game, is his willingness to track and to plug gaps, his awareness of danger. Think he’s ideal to keep tabs on Nolan and his use of pockets of space. Although diminishing, he still retains the ability to wriggle out of tight spots (something Tiote tries and more often fails) and burst over 10 yards, which could set-up counter attacking opportunities.

• JAMSHA

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

GUTTED THE MATCH IS NOT LIVE IN.INDIA,,, FK ESPN.STARSPORTS

• tequilamag

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Don`t think many people doubt Jonas hard work, as long as he keeps \Nolan quiet he will have earned his money today.

• niafron

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

@Transfer
    You could call AP cautios, but i think he just wants the games under his control really, he runs an organized team, he’s very clear on peoples exact jobs aswell.
    He still speaks of improving on passing, but we’re really thumping it long this season, but it’s due to our less ball secure players.
    He also values grit and hard work, he respects that and he gives those who have that chances.

Hence Jonas never ending involvement in the team.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Hope to see us squeeze further up the pitch too, with no real threat of pace in behind.

• Gateshead-Mag

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

any1 got the build up on???

• Dannyo

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

@Ruddy
    Carroll isn’t exactly a goal scoring threat these days and Nolan has no pace.
    If Willo and Saylor can communicate well, those two shouldn’t provide much of a threat.
    But i worry about the lack of organisation when Collo is not there, so there is a higher room for errors today imo.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

dannyo

I too like players who work hard and battle in games but I also want a bit more flair and attacking intent.

In my opinion the balance is not quite right and I would like to see other players involved more.

Having said that I only see games, Pardew sees training as well so I know fine well he knows more about the lads and what he wants from them than I do.

I just think that we would control games more in a 433 than a 442, an extra man in midfield could free up cabaye whilst allowing us to keep the ball better and therefore limit the possession of our opponents and ultimately the amount of time they have to create chances against us.

But like I say….we are still getting points and I am sure the style will develop over the years.

I think it takes a manager anywhere between 2 and 5 years to get his style on the team depending on how much he is backed in the transfer market.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Sage,

As you say big difference between a long hoof and a thought out Hoddle type pass that finds it’s intended target. The other night Saylor was just launching it every time to no one in particular.

• belgrade fan

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

SOME GAME LINK PLEASE?

• laurille

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

If Taylor/willo gets sent off or gets hurt, we will be in trouble with a bench like that. I have a bad feeling about this one…
    Howay!

• toonbrother

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

this is a bad line up especially if its 4-4-2. Im surprised more people dont see it. Pardew makes peculiar decisions sometimes. We will struggle to keep possession today. just watch

• kt97toonarmy

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM

we need to take the game to them today i think

1 2 3 10