Santon – Newcastle Is A Great Experience For Me

Davide Santon has been one of the success stories of the season so far, and Davide is such a likable lad too, and it was great news that he has been recalled to the Italian squad for their friendly against France tomorrow night.

Davide Santon – doing so well at Newcastle

Davide seems to really like it at Newcastle and he has been interviews in Italy prior to the game tomorrow night, and he continues to talk well about Newcastle, and that he has every intention of staying on Tyneside:

“I’m delighted to be back in the international set-up, happy that I have the faith of the coach.” “If I play then I’ll look to demonstrate who I really am. I knew that I would get back here if my form was good enough.”

“Nothing in particular broke in Italy.” “I hadn’t played that well and I thought that I needed a change.” “Maybe I was talked up too much. There was Jose Mourinho, my first games, playing against Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United, being called up by Marcello Lippi.”

“There was too much being said about me, but these things are lessons.” “Newcastle is a great experience for me. It was tough at the start though without family and friends. But I had to do it, I had to change and I’m happy with the decision. It is my intention to stay in England.”

“A move to Roma? No, I have a long contract and I’m just thinking of doing well for Newcastle.”

Santon broke onto the scene in Italy in 2009, when Jose Mourinho was manager of Inter-Milan and is was probably too much too soon for the 21 year-old, when he was compared with the great Paolo Cesare Maldini, one of the world’s best ever defenders.

But Davide has done very well since arriving at Newcastle and though he made a slow start last season, he was learning all the time, and Alan Pardew has handled the lad simply superbly, both on and off the field, since he arrived.

We could have a world-class full back on our hands in a couple of seasons with Davide – he’s really that good and his potential is enormous.

That’s what we are hoping for – in any case. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• dead man walkin

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Ibiza

It will be squeaky bum tim for Pardew in about 5 matches time, I’m not making this up, I would say as high as 80% ( no I have not counted them) at the ground are not happy with the direction Pardew is taken the club,
    This is very much Jenny dog leash part 2 , he finished 2 in his first season( jan to may) 12 the season after ,
    With very poor football , pissed most of our best players off to,
    Sold ginola for 2.5 million and bought des Hamilton for the same money in the same week,

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Dead man…Then I think we’ve batted this one back and forth enough without completely driving the other insane. I hope you are wrong and we shall see.

The problem is, if you are proved right and fans really really turn on him, they still wont have been proved right. There is potential that they were right, but also that they were just impatient.

Not saying he should be given free reign just so we can absolutely know for sure, but a club whose fans feel they are in turmoil are highly unlikely to do well.

So, for the first time in three years, I am starting to worry about where we are going. Not because I have lost faith in the direction, but because, from your comments, the majority of fans have. That is a serious issue.

Back to the rollercoaster then…..

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

DMW

agree with you but in fairness to pardew he hasn’t gotten rid of really any players we considered first teamers at the time, other than carroll.

would much rather have guthrie than gosling mind, though guthrie wanted first team football (which at times last season he deserved more than cabaye)

you can say all you want about tactics v players but i don’t think anyone on here can deny the fact that when cabaye has a bad game, the team does too. and when the team play poorly, cabaye is usually out of position being wasted defending the whole time and playing deep, usually using hopeful long balls that our forwards can’t seem to control and hold up.

tactics has a lot to do with this present discussion. whether you agree or not, it IS up to pardew now to get us out of this mess. whether it’s tactics or motivation or whatever, he’s the one getting paid to do turn this around

i agree with DMW, five games with only a win and a draw (very possible) and whether some like it or not, the pitchforks will be out

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

the fifth official’s take on our latest defeat:

Dancing to a familiar Toon

Lord only knows what state Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan left the Toon in on Sunday night after the most successful comeback in the north east since Joe Kinnear embarked on an after dinner speaking tour. The gruesome twosome – soul mates, party bros and roomies – took a walk down Wonga Way for old times’ sake and pulled down the pants of the gaffer who flogged them on.

The grateful recipient of Newcastle’s decision to hawk the titans of their Championship season on the open market is that unique human being Sam Allardyce, who will no doubt build his Real Madrid team around Nolan and Carroll just as soon as he gets that long overdue call from the Bernabeu. Twice Big Sham has been back to Tyneside since being sacked by Mike Ashley, and twice he has won.

Not only did Sam triumph, his compact unit drugged Newcastle into aping the style he so loves as they repeatedly hoofed long balls up to Ba, Cisse and Ameobi – the latter pair playing so poorly it became clear the only way they’d be able to make the ball stick was if they had been smeared pre-match in Loctite. Once again Sam induced boos at the final whistle, but this time he devoured them as if they were a pint of chip fat. Revenge is a dish best served cold, to a former West Ham gaffer, with an equally large fondness for himself.

• bills-son

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Ibizatoon – I don’t think this blog necessarily represents the views of the majority of fans. If it does, we are really are the most fickle fans in the country.

Lets get it straight, we overperformed last season, simple as that. The only way we were likely to start this season as well as last was to steer clear of injuries and suspensions and field our best side for match after match – as we did at the start of last season.

That hasn’t happened plus we’ve had to cope with some of the squad playing three ganes in eight days with the Europa.

Any fan who forgets or ignores that and just heaps sh%t on Pardew is just being plain daft in my opinion. We aren’t playing great currently, but there are reasons. The time to criticise Pardew is when he has played five or six poor games with a settled team.

• fray bentos

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

@dead man walkin

“I would say as high as 80% ( no I have not counted them)”

Classic!!!

• Santon03

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Matty

AP must win the away game vs West Ham now.

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

bills-son

name a team out there that has a completely first choice starting 11 for 5 or 6 games in a row….it’s nearly implausible to suggest that’s when we should judge him, because it’ll never happen. We judge him on what we have and what we see, which isn’t too far off from our strongest right now. if you can’t cope without 2 first team starters you either need more players, more trust in the ones here, or the ability to utilize the ones available to bring out their potential when others are injured or suspended

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Bills…..Thank you. I was being more facetious than anything. Whilst I’ll listen to most people on here, to try and get a feel for what’s happening within SJP, I usually take it with a pinch of salt. Football generally brings out great emotion in people, which are not always balanced. I certainly feel that this is the wrong time to be forming any final judgements on Pardew, extremely premature imo.

• Santon03

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

bill-son

yes, last season they were performing well beyond any expectations. They just proved us that the players and the manager is very good, and they can do it, they the ability to do it. You said the team overperformed, is this mean it’s all ok now that they are much less than they were?
    I’m sorry, but I’ve been patient enough, I’m very very unhappy with this season in PL and the west ham game is the climax.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Bills Son

I and lots of others on here are not happy with the style of football that Pardew is producing.

Please try to understand that the disgruntlement is about the lack of entertaining quick passing modern football.

Agreec Pardew has managed to grind out some results but we want to see our flair players entertaining the fans.

If you are like Les and are happy to judge the team purely on results thats your choice but there are lots of us who want to be entertained.

• Super Magpie

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Les

I did not say Pardew was clueless, I said the exact opposite.
    All I said that Pardew continuing with the same tactics has had a negative effect. I have faith that he can turn it around and I illustrated other reasons to why we’ve been so poor this season.

Check saying that he is clueless and a p*ick is way off the mark and totally unjustified. Those who are saying he should be sacked are the ones who are totally clueless. Do we really want to go back to what we used to be? I know I don’t.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Gonna be one of the best full backs in the world. There’s no doubting that the lad is class! The only thing wrong is that he has concentration lapses at the back, but that’s easily sorted! 🙂 Attacking wise, he goes past defenders like they’re not there! 🙂

• bills-son

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

mattyNUFC – my point is we haven’t got a big enough squad to start as well this season as last with the injuries and suspensions we’ve had.

Remember when Colo, Staylor and Willo were out last season, plus I think Tiote injured/suspended, we went 5 or 6 games without a win after a good start. Once we got a settled side we picked up again.

The criticism now stems from expectations being raised and I understand that. But I go back to it, this squad isn’t big enough or good enough to stay around the top 6 unless we have a settled team.

• xmindcrimex

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

dead man walkin

comedy gold. 🙂

• geordie157

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Santon, I totally agree, I was going three glimpses of good football and nice one touch passing would develop into more dominant displays with some big wins. But it just isn’t happening, would be nice to get a settled team for a few games but that seems unlikely. I would say that do far only krul, Colo, saylor, santon and ba have been decent and fairly consistent. Others are under performing or being played out of position, Cisse looks lost at times, but you could argue that he’s starved of quality service.

• brian kilclines pony tail

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

lets not go back to chopping and changing managers.
    I thought the majority had come to realise this.
    shame on all of you.

• dead man walkin

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Ibiza

We will rest for a bit then haha

Frey

I take it you don’t get to the matches, and as long as we have points on a table your happy,

But believe me, there is huge unrest in the stands ,

You can chose to look the others way but your only deluding yourself

• bills-son

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM

bettyswallocks – of course I’m not happy with the football we are playing.

However, I believe there are reasons ie., no settled team so far, your reaction is to heap all the blame on Pardew. My reaction is far less knee jerk. That’s the difference.

• geordie157

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

On the plus side despite playing poorly we could go on a run and fly up the table, like last season 4th is up for grabs. West Brom this season are like we were last season. A few signings in Jan would be nice though, cb, rb and creative midfielder.

• fray bentos

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

@dead man

I know were not playing well at the moment, im just clever enough to realise that all teams have bad spells, and that stability is very important to our team at the moment

Any credibility you could have had is gone with that guesstimate you just made, well done there it did make me laugh

• geordie157

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Pards needs to stay, agree that we need stability. But Pardew also needs to be brave enough to drop players like Jonas and give others a chance, same with been arfa, think sometimes they take their place in the starting eleven for granted.

• dead man walkin

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Bills son

Again you are right about over achieving last season,

Position wise

You like me are a season ticket holder, and for the most part the football last season was poor, beating Man U only made us feel happy because it was Man U, but it was the same long ball football that is getting him in trouble now

And I do not think it is unresenable for us fans that pay to watch the match to be entertained a little,

Or is it about just putting money into the club

Do I expect to win every match? No I do expect to lose , but if we lose and you can see effort being put in, u live with that, if you lose or draw and something looks not right , we have a right to ask why, we all have opinions ,

I remember you once said you played football at a good level, well you will know players don’t mind playing 3 times a week when there winning, a real match is better than a practice match ,

Only 1 person can fix this, and I don’t think he is up to it, 2 years of this type of football shows he has no fresh ideas

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

bills-son

then again, where was pardew emphasizing the need. we all thought on august 31st he’d be as frustrated as most of us were with zero defenders being brought in. he was just glad we didn’t lose anyone

i’m just saying you have to recognize where a lot of this frustration is stemming from. not everyone thinks like you do

one of the biggest aspects of all of this to me is entertainment. sure, results matter, but to say we’ve been entertained this season is way off the mark. i care about finesse, flair, the magic of beating a man one on one or creating a goal from nothing. all over the pitch this season and much of last season has been pragmatism but the underscore to all of this is entertainment.

i was also just taking a look at win percentages of EPL managers. needless to say, the list is quite extensive of managers all of us would pray never to see in our dugout who have a greater win percentage than AP

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

….speaking of tactics

did anyone else think that when AP brought obertan on we were going to go with three at the back? I was relieved when i first thought so only to see he just shifted fergie to LB and santon to RB. strange stuff when you’re chasing a game at home against a team you were hoping to beat

• bettyswallocks

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Bills

Do you not agree that Pardew favours the big target man and a direct ball up to him rather than playing the ball quickly and neatly from defence through midfield in a more modern style.

Admittedly we need a settled side free from injuries with better ball playing defenders but as I have already suggested Pardew likes the good old fashioned forward to win all the hopeful long balls.

Why else would he want Carroll back?
    Ithink he needs better coaching staff to get the best from our players as he s not totally responsible for the mindset of the team.

• Santon03

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

It’s like a joke, you tell it the first time everyone laugh so hard, 2nd time maybe still funny, but after you tell it more than 5 or 6 times, nobody is laughing anymore. You need new material, you need to change your jokes.

Doing the same thing over and over again, soon everyone already know how to beat us, they already learned how handle this team.Changes doesn’t mean bad, sometimes it can lead to better ,btw I’m not talking about sacking anyone.

I don’t know if I’m making sense or not now, I’m tired trying to prove my point.

• Santon03

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Hopefully last game is a wake up call.

• dead man walkin

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Frey
    I guess if I needed credibility I would agree with all you say,
    Now you by saying that have lost credibility , it’s like no one should have an opinion
    That is sad and wrong,

This site is well rounded and ppl seem friendly in general, only a few not so nice ppl

• dead man walkin

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

25mattyNUFC

He would have better of putting santon right wing not overran

• Ketsbaia9

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We’ll probably sell him for a cheap price and then sign someone worse like Pieters or Stephen Warnock. Santon has been our most consistent player this season. Great signing. Ba and Ben Arfa and maybe Krul are the only positives so far this season.

• mattyNUFC

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

kets

have to agree with you on santon. i don’t think anyone has come close to his level this season

• fray bentos

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

@dead man

a few not nice people, ahhh diddums

You can have any opinion you want, i don’t care, im saying you lost any credditbility by coming out and sayin 80% of ground have your point of view, sorry but you just don’t know, the funny element was the bracketed part saying you hadn’t counted, funny mate

• Conaldo (The Wizard)

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I have a theory that state why pards can never get sacked.

When we got pards in, we didnt want him, but Ashley did. Then he Turned us into a proper team and then we wanted him. We wanted him a lot when there was danger of losing him, (to England job, other clus etc.).
    When we found out about the 8 year deal, a lot of fans were questioning this. This leads me to believe that we want what Ashley doesn’t, and we don’t want why Ashley wants, kind of.

So at the moment, Ashley likes pards, and there is no danger of losing pards, so we don’t like him. If people start to not like him, Ashley will realise this and Pardew job will ultimately be in danger. On recognition of this, the fans will then realise thr Ashley doesn’t like Pardew ad there is a danger of losing him, so the fans will like him again. Then because the fans like him, Ashley will like him and his job will be safe. And the circle continues

I call this extremely muddled and confusing logic the Pardew paradox. In short, we want him when he’s in danger, we don’t when his jobs secure so his job becomes in danger so we want him again.

Unsackable I tell you. This is a long bus journey….

• fray bentos

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Talking about opinions

Everybody has different ones, im just glad i share mine with the people who count and the professionals involved with football

• Santon03

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

LOL Conaldo

That’s insane theory, but might be true hahaha

• toonking

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM

this weekend against swansea i would like pardew to drop cisse or start playing a front 3 of HBA cisse ba.
    it’s thing like allowing ba to go back into the centre that sometimes make ppl thing he is a yes man i respect him myself but do wish he would be more like a true manager and give orders rather than take them or he might end up delivering pizzas.

what i think make it hard for some ppl is all the report during the windows linking players away to clubs like manure as it makes them sound like super stars when they might be just bench warmers for them teams if they did join.

• Ketsbaia9

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I don’t think these players are good enough for us:

Williamson
    Simpson
    Gosling
    Obertan
    Tavernier
    Shola Ameobi

The rest are good enough and some places deserve a run out in the team (Abeid, Marveaux, Xisco, Amalfitano).

• Rotonda heights

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Fray

From a previous thread.

You’re not seriously comparing pardew to fergie are you?
    Pardew is 51 and has won the johnson painter trophy. Fergie well where do you start?

Still if you think we’re playing well, that’s ok then.

I wouldn’t call pardew a prick, but there is obviously something not right the way we are playing this season and a blind man can see Ba and Cisse in a 442 won’t ever work.

Pardew has persevered with it for a third of a season with no plan B and we’ve turned in dire performance after dire performance.

Not going to bite on yours and Len’s abuse but I think most level headed people (help me Ibiza) can see this being the case and pards is paid the big bucks to address it.

It’s not the players, it’s the system we’re playing that allows an inferior team to beat us at home.

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Thats the first time I’ve ever heard you say that Kets.

Im in shock. 😉