Newcastle In Swap Deal In January For Top Striker

Newcastle were interested in Marseilles striker Loic Remy last summer, so we suppose it’s only natural, with January approaching, that there are reports we are again interested in the striker, even if the reports are not true.

Loic Remy – Newcastle still interested in French striker

Le10 Sport have reported that Newcastle United are again interested in the 25 year-old striker, with European Champions Chelsea also said to be interested in the player.

Newcastle have to look at strikers before January, since Demba Ba could move at that time via the release clause in his contract, and Shola Ameobi may be part of the Nigeria squad for the African Cup of Nations (AFCON), and that would leave Newcastle severely short of strikers.

Whether it’s true or not, the news is that Newcastle could offer Sylvain Marveaux in a player plus cash move for the 17 times capped French International, and Sylvain has been struggling to get his career going at Newcastle.

Sylvain has not played too much this season and since arriving from Rennes in the summer of last year,  he has made only 18 appearances for the Magpies.

It seems that the French club now want to sell Remy, but he will not come cheap and the figures thrown around last year were that the French club wanted £10M for him, and Newcastle wouldn’t pay that, unless they can get Marveaux valued at about half that figure.

There’s no doubt that Loic is a good player, and it’s possible Newcastle could do the deal if they can get him in for say Marveaux plus say £4M in cash, and of course they signed Sylvain is a free agent last year, although his wages may be high for the French club to match.

Loic Remy joined Marseilles from Nice in August of last year, and in 83 games he has scored 37 goals for them.

We think Loic would be a good signing for Newcastle, if we can get a good deal for him.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Graeme

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM

What sort of striker is he? If he’s a CF, then there isnt a lot of point really as we have Ba / Cisse. If he plays off the striker, a bit of a Bellamy type player, who gets in and around the box, he could be well worth a punt.

Using Marveaux as part of a swap deal maybe makes it a bit more plausible I guess!!

• Novocastrian66

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This deal will not happen.

• ShaveyD

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM

We should snap this kid up!!! All round striker this lad, runs the channels, holds up etc. No bad thing to have 3 top quality strikers. Its great to have options and will increase competition for places. I’d love this to be true.

• 89Norcal

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

If Ba Leaves, I’d say go for it. No point in not reinvesting that 7M+ using Marveaux when we would obviously NEED another striker with Ba gone.

I could definitely see Cisse/Remy working better than Ba/Cisse. Ba unfortunately is the target man, but can provide a whole lot off the ball.

• 89Norcal

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

*Cant provide btw

• Ben3arfa

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM

looking at how disgustingly conservative we were during the summer window , this deal WILL NEVER ever happen

i mean what sort of management sees that the club requires centre halves and a striker yet purchase one defensive midfielder during a european season

pathetic

• scottphippsy

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

And whilst we are on the subject of transfers that are unlikely to happen. I hear Graham Carr has suggested to Alan Pardew and Mike Ashley that Lionel Messi is showing signs of becoming a top player and a swap deal could be on the cards in January with Nile Ranger going the other way.

• lotoplus

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Loïc Rémy, on top of his form, is definitely an opportunity to take (already played for french national team).
    He is quite fast and can create shoot chances for himself . Though shots on target are not his strong point.
    But he is often injured and when he comes back, he looks like an average player.

On counter attacks, HBA’s passes to Rémy could make the difference.

• Graeme

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Scottphippsy

I heard that rumour, but not worth getting rid of Nile for though. How could you even think such a thing lol.

• Seba29072

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

There is nooooo way a player who struggles to make our bench is worth 5 million. He’ll probably be thrown in to sweeten the deal given Remys valuation can be between 10-25 million depending on contract. Make no mistake he’s a top top player

• Dublin_Magpie

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Best possible transfer window we could have that would put us right up in top 5 again :

Sissokho – 2-3 million
    Douglas – 1-2 million
    Remy – 8 million plus marveaux
    Debuchy – 5 million

Sell Simpson for 2
    Also news that Marin’s unhappy at Chelsea, so a go for him considering he only went there for 7 million, everyone’s been blaming our defence this season but I blame an uncreative midfield.

That’s a combined total of a possible 23 million and I think we we sold Ba even then with these 5 players we’re a much stronger team playing 4-3-3.

Also I’d just like to say this is my first ever post, I’ve been a regular visitor to this site for a long time now but it’s a disgrace that some people call themselves fans of this football club. A fan supports, not condemns. And by condemn I mean “oh we’re only a mid table team this season”, “sack Pardew he’s stubborn”. I’m fully content in the knowledge that Pardew is in charge because I know we’ll never be in a worse position than we were 3 seasons ago with him at the reigns, so therfore I can only be grateful for what does. He showed us what he’s capable of last season, even if some of you put it down to “luck”, I put it down to good man management and approaching each game with intent. Our problem in the past has been our quick to sack attitude, but I’m delighted to hear of Pardew’s 8 year contract because I’d put my house on it that we’ll have a trophy or two to show for it at the end of it.

Anyone who feels the need to reply to this with the typical “I’m a fan of the club so I’ve a right to question the management when it’s being run badly” can just not bother because as I said there’s questioning and then there’s the attitude some of you have towards our beloved football club at times. I also have some doubts about how we are playing at the moment but I don’t worry because I know the faith I have in the management and how the club is being run will have huge benefits in the near future.

Howay the lads

• simon philippe

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You absolutely need , a player like Remy, he is the second best french striker behind Benzema, actually he has extra sportive problems in Marseille, but he is a very great player ! I’ am very disapointed by the newcastle game since the beggining of the season.

( sorry i don’t speak english very well )

• wynsleap

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Marveaux? £4-5 million?
    You are having a laugh aren’t you?
    The way he’s played for us we’d be lucky to get half that.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Doubt Marveaux is worth £5million+ I’d say we should go for £8 million + Marveaux

• Sav

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Apparently Francois Hollande plans to introduce a tax rate of 75% for anyone earning 1 million + in January, so expect a mass exodus of footballers and absolutely NO chance of Sylvain returning there now. No wonder Debuchy is pushing for a move. He’d probably play for Blyth Spartans rather than give up 3/4 of his weekly wedge.